[IC] Tzane the Troll

Started by Throndir, November 30, 2013, 06:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

[info]Takes place a year before the Tournament of Ternadan[/info]

It didn't take long for the party to gather. Some of those who accepted the mission posting met up in Ternadan before making their way there. Others they had met on the road, simply merging the groups together when they had found out that each of them were guild members. Yet others they had met at the entrance of the cavern; themselves preparing for the trek into Tzane's abode.

For those who had been there before; the cavern was recognizable. It was the same one Oglen the Ogre had first used in the past when the ogre was terrorizing the nearby caravan routes. Since then the caverns had been empty; at least until recently when reports of a troll wandering nearby caught the attention of some wealthier merchants.

The darkness of the caverns were deep. Save for the light outside that shone through lighting the interior, there was hardly anything else you could see up ahead. Prepared and ready, the party took their first steps into Oglen's old lair, now the home of Tzane the troll.

Oath

Elys steps into the cave, assaulted by darkness. She fumbles with a torch as she lights it and holds it in one hand, while she draws her pistol to be at the ready for whatever may be waiting ahead in the cave. A putrid stench drifts through the air, as Elys catches a giant whiff while preparing for the adventure that awaits.

"Smells as bad as some of the things I saw during my travels. Who'd like to lead the way?"

If the situation calls for it, Elys knows that she can take point but it is a much more desirable outcome for someone else to be the first in line while she lines up a clear shot. She hadn't worked with any of these people yet so she was unaware of their strengths and weaknesses but at the very least she was confident enough in her abilities that this job seemed as if it would be trivial.

Linwelin

Kin sighs, following up on Elys' thought, "Yup, same as the last one. Not exactly known for their cleanliness." He took a few, brisk steps forward. "I'll take point. Hopefully I can keep his attention on me once we initiate." He states, though past the calm demeanor, which is very odd for the halfling, you can see him brimming slightly with the desire to fight. As long as I can HIT anything this time. You'd think it'd be easy, what with their size and all. Time to make up for that mess! Kin thinks to himself, quickly remembering the chaos of the last troll slaying mission.

Kin keeps one hand on his greatsword, ready to draw it and dive in at a moments notice. He steps forward a few more times, perking up his ears to note how close the troll might be.

[spoiler]
[blockquote]Listen:  1d20+3 : 15 + 3, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Spot:  1d20+1 : 6 + 1, total 7[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Eireleen

"Yes, let us hope that the troll actually sees you, with your head two meters below his." Branwen stated impassively, keeping a safe distance. "I would not be surprised if he merely stepped on you on his way forward. Perhaps you'll succeed in putting a splinter in his big toe."

The girl in black seemed even less amiable than usual. Trolls annoyed her - partially the sheer stench, but mainly due to their ability to see through perfect darkness. An enemy she couldn't hide from was an enemy she couldn't sneak up on. Not an opponent she would take on alone - though with an expendable halfling joyfully taking point, along with some ranged backup, it was not infeasible.

Bootman

Chadra seemed oddly focused as she stepped into the cave forcefully, not noticing the smell or the darkness. She marched onward, with her weapon actually drawn and clear intent in her eyes. She looked at the faceless phantoms around her, who seemed to be making noise at eachother. Chadra decided to engage them.

"Where... Tzane?"

Manzokushi

The journey seemed familiar as they trekked through the wooded areas in search of the Troll?s lair. He was mildly shocked to realize that Tzane had taken up residence in the same stomping grounds as Oglen the Ogre. Well it was only fitting I suppose to clean out the same hole twice. It might do to collapse this wretched filth pit once their business was concluded. Who knows what would find its way in here next, perhaps a dragon? That was not a pleasant thought at all. A voice danced in his head a reminder, (the goddess is always listening be careful of obstacles you envision.) It left just as quickly as it appeared, Sytheer was that you? His mind began to focus as they entered the dwelling all thoughts of home left his mind?s eye.

His voice was soft just above a whisper, ?Ken, Brawnwin it is good to see you two again, and how fortuitous of a place to meet. And to the two that I do not recognize my name is Jornathel Mithraiian, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintances, and as an aside I recommend we collapse this blasted hole when our business is concluded. Else another thing decide to take up residence is this murky hovel. And I assume the brute is deeper in near where the last beast chose to rest.?

The elf swayed back and forth arms crossing and fingers moving in intricate motions completing the spell pattern, Jorn felt the protective embrace of arcane energies wash over his body.

[spoiler]Casting Mage Armor[/spoiler]

Throndir

As the group ventured further into the caverns, there wasn't much sound that they could hear save for a few droplets of water dripping. Even though a few in the party could see well in low lights, pitch darkness was all that awaited them the farther they walked in. In front of both Kin and Chadra looked to be a wall, while east of them was nothing but pitch darkness. It was already winter, but going further into the caverns, it felt much colder than it actually was.

[spoiler]Rolls/Effects/Summary:
[spoiler]
Round 1 begins.
Kin: Moves forward 20 ft.
Chadra: Moves forward 20 ft.
Jornathel: Casts Mage Armor.
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 1 in progress - Still to move: Branwen, Elys

Missed Turns

Damage Dealt

Spells/Abilities/Potions/Items used since the day:
Jornathel
Mage Armor

Party HP
Chadra: 37/37,
Kin: 22/22,
Jornathel: 20/20, Mage Armor (+4 AC, lasts a long time)
Branwen: 18/18,
Elys: 16/16,

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Oath

Seeing that her party members have stepped forward, Elys moves up next to Chadra, pistol at the ready. She remains silent, as she doesn't want the troll to hear her coming.

Linwelin

Kin has the sudden recognition right as Jorn mentions it. "Wait, wait, wait. This IS where Oglen was that time! So this really IS 'take two'!" Kin laughs, "Too great, just too great!" He keeps laughing as he continues to walk into the cavern, hoping to see or hear the enemy within.

[spoiler]
[blockquote]Spot:  1d20+1 : 10 + 1, total 11[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen:  1d20+3 : 13 + 3, total 16[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Bootman

Chadra looked at the glowing person (Jorn) oddly for a few long moments, just standing there as they said a lot of words. Most of them didn't seem to be towards her, so she phased in and out. At the end of the speech, she nodded at the person firmly, a habit she'd developed for when she didn't pay attention.

"Glow...." She started, addressing him.

"Where is Tzane?" Chadra insisted, a little upset at not being answered before. She also noticed that Greatsword was acting up like usual. His energy made her a little bit on edge, but the person seemed to know something about fighting. At least, she hoped he did.

Throndir

The group watched as their halfling 'tank' ventured eastwards, his laugh resounding and echoing in the caverns. If that weren't enough to wake up everything in there, at the very least the torch he used to brighten their way was certainly more akin to a beacon to any who would see.

As Kin keeps to listening and looking around the area, he hears rustling; the sounds of footsteps going thud, thud, thud. Yet try as he might, the darkness was still too thick for even his torch to light the way.

[spoiler]Rolls/Effects/Summary:
[spoiler]
Round 1 begins.
Kin: Moves forward 20 ft.
Chadra: Moves forward 20 ft.
Jornathel: Casts Mage Armor.
Elys: Moved south.
Round 1 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Branwen
Round 2 begins.
Kin moves east, laughing really loudly, with some really bright blazing lights.
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 1 in progress - Still to move:Chadra, Jornathel, Elys, Branwen

Missed Turns
branwen: .5

Damage Dealt

Spells/Abilities/Potions/Items used since the day:
Jornathel
Mage Armor

Party HP
Chadra: 37/37,
Kin: 22/22,
Jornathel: 20/20, Mage Armor (+4 AC, lasts a long time)
Branwen: 18/18,
Elys: 16/16,

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

"Well, if he's anything like the last lug, Tzane's right around the corner here..." Kin notes to himself, and almost on queue, the thundering footsteps begin. "There we go!" He says, excited, but not shouting. Seeing there's a bottleneck up ahead, he decides to sprint for it to gain a tactical advantage on the beast. Upon turning the corner, he plants the torch in the ground and takes a defensive stance, ready to distract and lash out guardedly as soon as the troll appears. Until then, he scans the cavern before him, searching for the one making those footsteps.

We have a lot of range this time, so I'll just keep him from getting to them. He thinks to himself. Of course, this is disappointing, as he wanted to FIGHT fight, not play decoy again. Ah well, maybe I'll get my chance...

[spoiler]Runs to the corner, plants torch, and takes a defensive stance, blocking the corridor.

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Spot:  1d20+1 : 13 + 1, total 14[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Eireleen

Branwen followed silently behind, keeping a certain distance between her and Kin as a buffer, in case something jumped out. One might have looked about the cave, left and right, on the lookout for any manner of trouble - only noticing a few moments later that the girl in black had disappeared completely.

Even within the light of the torch, there was nothing, only the four of them. But then, her voice whispered on the darkness, seemingly from nowhere. "Keep going. I will engage as I see fit."

[spoiler]Branwen moves down, down, down, down, down, down-right, and casts Invisibility on herself.[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

Jornathel kept pace with Kin, try to cover his companion and not let him be too reckless. The torch was annoying and burned his eyes, keeping Jorn just outside of the lights burning radius. This was never a wise deal venturing into the nest of a creature, attempting to kill it. Trolls were renowned as tenacious creatures why had he chosen to take on such a reckless mission. This was ever a good time to call on the graces of his goddess for guidance and protection.

The elf whispered softly with reverence, ?Goddess Dehanine Moonbow, Daughter of the Night Skies, protect us in this most reckless of choices. Grant us your divine protections so that we may succeed in riding the world of yet another evil.?
[spoiler]
Casting Bless on the party

Also attempting to discern the location of the creature.

Listen Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15[/blockquote]

Bless Spell
[spoiler]Level:
Clr 1, Pal 1

Components:
V, S, DF
Casting Time:
1 standard action

Range:
50 ft.
Area:
The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster
Duration:
1 min./level
Saving Throw:
None
Spell Resistance:
Yes (harmless)
Bless fills your allies with courage. Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects. [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Oath

Well... At least he seems excited about the whole thing... Elys decides to let Kin take the lead as he so desires, and moves up to be a few steps behind him, gun at the ready.

[spoiler] Put me 2 squares behind Kin please. [/spoiler]