Book 1 Chapter 3.2 - Beneath the Barrow

Started by Asta, November 09, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

[info]Perception:
You hear nothing from the other side of the door.[/info]

pringerbeam

"It heals minor injuries. See?" Said Thedrin as he activated the wand again.

[info] Expending another charge of Wand of Cure Light Wounds[blockquote]Rolled 1d8+1 : 8 + 1, total 9[/blockquote][/info]
     "If I should be felled by the sorcery of the door I'll need you to use this to heal me." He said as he handed the wand to the wizard. "Can you do that?"

Oath

"Not sure that this is the wisest of plans but sure, I can use a wand. Have at it, brave knight."

pringerbeam

Thedrin raised his shield. He knew that plenty of the aristocracy in his homeland employed wizards to devise cunning magical defenses for their family vaults and mausoleums. He also knew that beyond those traps lay plenty of treasure. He felt somewhat craven to be graverobbing in such a fashion but with no inheritance to fund his future house he would need this wizard's wealth. "Okay... I suggest you all stand back." He took the keystone and tried to open the door.

Asta

As soon as the keystone slid into place the secondary runes on the door flared purple and a wave of negative energy flashed up Thedrin's arm and radiated to his chest.

Thedrin felt his heart seize in his chest and fail to beat for an agonizing thirty seconds. Several of which he was unable to think clearly as his body went into shock. "Oh FUCK!" Scathach exclaimed.

Finally the energy dissipated, leaving Thedrin very near death, but still standing.

[error]Trap activates, Thedrin takes 10 damage and was staggered for 1 round.[/error]

The door then slid slowly into the floor.

Oath

Cecilia follows through on her end of the deal, and uses the wand on Thedrin.

[info] Using UMD to use the wand.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 10 + 5, total 15[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d8+1 : 5 + 1, total 6[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

Thedrin was floored by the magical assault and gasped as the healing took. He stood up and dusted himself off, coughing as he looked around. "Well... door's open." He said as he took his wand back before heading for the open door.

Asta

Scathach gave a small snort by way of amusement then followed through the door.

Through the opening was another hallway, to the right it continued on another ten feet and terminated in a wall. You could see that the other door from the room with the skeleton knight would have opened into this passage as well.

To the right the hallway continued, hooking around to the south and ending at another door; this one was made of plain wood and had no locks or other distinguishing features.

Throndir

[info]Look for traps in the hallway as she moves along to the door.
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 19 + 7, total 26[/blockquote]

Look for traps on the next door itself
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 19 + 7, total 26[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]Perception:
There are no traps in either the hallway, or on the door.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Well... that's a disappointment... What must the purpose of that trap been? " Said Thedrin looking at the hallway as he walked to the next door.

Asta

"Fifty-fifty chance of catching some poor sod unawares if they managed to beat the skeleton I guess." said Scathach, following along.

Beyond the wooden door is another small chamber, probably the last one in the barrow as it has no discernible exits. Within, you find a wooden chest, and a stone sarcophagus covered in ornate carvings.

Throndir

[info]Look around in the room for anything dangerous
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 5 + 7, total 12[/blockquote][/info]

If needed, and no initial traps found, look for traps on chest
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 7 + 7, total 14[/blockquote]

If needed, and no initial traps found, look for traps on sarcophagus
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 2 + 7, total 9[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

A search of the room, the chest, and the sarcophagus reveals no traps. The chest is locked however, but it looks of mundane design and potentially breakable.

pringerbeam

Thedrin tested the lid of the chest.  "Do you think you can open this without damaging its contents?" He asked with a look to Rhenri.