[Fred] Chapter 4: The Dark Ravens of Miyang

Started by Throndir, September 03, 2018, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 4: The Dark Ravens of Miyang》

Heading through the streets of Miyang city, you continued to hear the sounds of yelling, sword fighting, explosions, fires, and the wails of people throughout the city. Fortunately you managed to avoid the remainder of the Red Hand sect which had been looking for you. With Lai Fen leading the way, eventually the three of you, plus the royal child made it to a building that looked like it was near the outskirts of town.

Lai Fen peered in first, and seeing that it was clear, she ushered the rest in. After that, she closed the door, and went towards a cellar door, and quickly opening it, she began to climb down.

"It's just me, put that knife away." You heard Lai Fen say as she disappeared into the darkness below.

Lai Ju followed after, and glanced back towards you as well as if beckoning you onwards.

Linwelin

Fred looks at the kid in his arms, looks at the ladder, thinks for a moment, then asks, "Hang on tight around my neck, kid. We're heading down, and I need my hands."

Once the kid was in a comfortable position that wasn't choking Fred, he called down the ladder, "Coming down with a kid, please stow the weapons. She's seen enough of that for a lifetime, let alone today." Then finally, without holding back, he climbs slowly down the ladder, making sure his passenger is bearing well.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

The moment you came down, you realized you were in a dimly lit room. Apart from both Lai Fen and Lai Ju who were already down in the cellar. There was another, person. You could barely make her out, but she had a lithe frame, strange white hair, and striking green-yellow eyes.

She narrowed her eyes as she saw you and had a dagger out. But a hint of recognition flashed in her features. She immediately went down to one knee.

"You're the summoned hero from back there..." She said keeping her head down.

Lai Fen beside you rolled her eyes. Lai Ju, on the other hand, seemed to be nodding her head as if she understood.

Linwelin

Fred's face showed conflicting emotions of relief and frustration, "Gah, enough with the kneeling. At this point we're just friends. I've done nothing worthy of that much respect, anyways." He started making semi-exaggerated motions for her to stop it and stand.

Soon after all this, he carefully knelt down to let the girl off his back before standing again. "Now, can someone explain this whole situation to me? I don't know where I am, why there's so much chaos up above, what in the world the point of a 'hero' is- honestly, it's a long list. Let's just start with one." Fred paused from his rattling to address the group. "Why am I here? In this world. I know why I want to be, but I need to hear from you."

Fred also takes a moment to focus on the new girl, gleaning whatever information he can.

[info]Fred reads the new girl's "Status"[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

The girl's title read Eris Alaster《Dark Raven》, it was the same title that many of the others had back where the slaughter of the emperor took place, though, not each of the members titles were the same. However, when you focused on her, a new messaged appeared.

[okay]Ability not yet unlocked.[/okay]
"I'm not sure about that, Fred." Lai Fen said grinning as she made her way to one end of the cellar. She then began to push on some of the bricks, and eventually a passage appeared.

"Anyone who shames the bastard ex-emperor has my respect." Her grin then curved slightly upward, in a slightly more sickening smile. Her eyes seemed to glow slightly with a purple and red hue.

"Killing him does the job faster though."

The girl who had just climbed off your back started to whimper then. That caused Lai Fen to stop her thoughts though. Instead she sighed as if being brought back to the current situation.

"You're here because the emperor and his cronies summoned you, right?" Lai Fen said offhandedly. She glanced at the white-haired girl with the daggers.

"Eris, how many came back here?"

"Not a lot... I am assuming they went to a different outpost, or are still making their way here."

"There's more to that hero Fred..." Lai Ju interrupted. Eris then began to stand up, though she kept an eye on you.

"Our old master used to tell us stories of heroes."

"It wasn't just him, even when I lived out on the streets, the other kids would always hope that a hero would be summoned, so that they can save the country... Not just from the demons, but from the corrupt royalty."

"Let's tell him along the way... Eris, stay here to continue to watch for more of us that might be late."

QuotePrepare me a list of questions you want to ask, and from here to the destination, will just be questions and answers! We'll move scenes when all is done.

Linwelin

Whoa, the wall opened up! You all have some cool stuff here." Fred noted appreciatively.

Hearing the little girl's response to Lai Fen's exclamations, Fred, lowered his hand toward where she was standing behind him, and scruffed her hair comfortingly for a moment. "So there are even stories...I have a lot to live up to. Not sure that I'm keen on that." Fred mused to himself aloud. "Though I guess you can't really be too picky about rebirth." He said with a shrug.

Fred then turns to Lai Ju, his ears perking up at her statement. "Huh? 'Demons'? What are those?" This question was unfortunately, a cliff hanger as Lai Fen directed them to move on. "Fiiiiine." Fred groaned out, expressing his frustration at STILL not getting any real answers. I have even MORE questions at this point. He muttered mentally.

Before stepping through the passage, Fred gave a short wave and smile to Eris. "Keep it up, Eris."

[info]Questions (The First Round)(You asked for a list, I got a list):
What is a hero?
What are demons?
Why is everyone acting crazy?
Who are 'The Royalty"?
Who are our allies/enemies?
What was that weird energy around you (Lai Fen)? (Followed up with "Can I learn? Teach me the basics if so.)
How is this little girl going to be cared for?
Can we get something to eat? (I'm starving)
Shouldn't we be resting and recuperating? Half of us are injured.
Can everyone PLEASE stop bowing? I'm used to not being noticed.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

QuoteWhat is a hero?

"Someone with amazing powers. But in the end it's just another person."

"Well... The hero is someone who gives hope to the people. There are other countries that tie their religion to the hero. And the hero is supposed to be sent from the deities as well. For our own country, we grew up tales of hearing about the heroes of the past... The founder of our country thousands of years ago was said to be a hero too."

QuoteWhat are demons?

"See Fred. Now those are probably worse than me." Lai Fen said rolling her eyes.

"They are the enemies of our country... Well, this world. Perhaps... 25 or so years ago our country, or at least, parts of it, was sent here to this New World. The corrupt royalty of our country send our share of able-bodied men and guards... Though, for the most part, its been forced conscription."

"Not only that, it's usually just the random street urchins and commonfolk that are sent." Lai Fen's eyes grew angry. "Do you know what they do Fred? The capital marches their guards to the neighboring towns, gathering 'recruits'. They kill anyone who resist. And once they took most of the capable fighters, they then moved to randomly picking families here in the capital. They drag them out... Then they will either force them to join, or they kill them on the spot. Either way... The remaining women in the household? Do you want me to describe to you what they've been doing the last 15 years? Since that asshole of an emperor took power?" Lai Fen's words became seething again, and you could tell that she was getting tense.

"Sister..." Lai Ju said, putting a calming hand on her sister's shoulder.

QuoteWhy is everyone acting crazy?

"Who? Me?" Lai Fen asked innocently. Though she kept up a slight twitch to her smile. She laughed.

"Try living here. Ever since I pushed the Dark Ravens for vengeance on the sects that sides with the royalty, it's actually been slightly more peaceful."

QuoteWho are 'The Royalty"?

"Bastards." Lai Fen said without hesitation.

QuoteWho are our allies/enemies?

"Our enemies are bastards. And our allies are anyone who aren't in league with the bastards."

QuoteWhat was that weird energy around you (Lai Fen)?

"That is something called Ki, that I learned under our master."

"Most of us can do it... But Lai Fen's particular style was something she learned specifically from our master. Her training... was... a bit different than everyone else's. Our master said she had the aptitude for it. The end result was that her Ki... looks weird."

"Here... Let me show you what it normally looks."

With that Lai Ju stopped walking. She took a deep breathe as if to center herself. A moment later you felt a pressure from her as light started to radiate from her and around her, like an aura. Unlike the dark purple and red hued Ki that Lai Fen released. Lai Ju's was yellow and didn't have the same murkiness as Lai Fen's.

"Almost everyone's Ki is this color. Or shades of it. But sometimes there'll be someone with a different hue."

QuoteCan I learn? Teach me the basics if so.

"It takes years to learn... Even then, it takes time as well for people to learn specific moves and techniques to be used with Ki. The heroes from other countries had learned fast though... so maybe you can as well. Most of us can probably only teach you a handful of techniques, Lai Fen is the one who spent the most time with our master... and is probably the most skilled amongst us with the most techniques."

QuoteHow is this little girl going to be cared for?

Lai Ju was silent as she considered the question. It looked like she wanted to say something, but Lai Fen was eventually the first to speak.

"She doesn't have a home to return to. Pretty much the story of every member of the Dark Ravens. She's too young to decide that for herself, but we have enough contacts through the city to see if we can find a place for her, or someone to take her in."

Lai Ju glanced at Lai Fen curiously. The look eventually made Lai Fen sigh.

"The truth is, no one will house someone from an ex-royalty member if their rule was replaced. Too much risk involved. You know, my name wasn't always Lai Fen."

QuoteCan we get something to eat? (I'm starving)

Lai Ju smiled.

"What we have may not be to your standards... but we have some rations stored in each of our outposts through the city."

"Yup, Fred. If you wanted the easy life, you could have taken the emperor's offer..." She eyed you dangerously. "Of course that meant we had to kill you too."

"She's... joking. She has a tendency to make silly jokes like these all the time."

QuoteShouldn't we be resting and recuperating? Half of us are injured.

"Half the city's probably going up into flames too!" Lai Fen chuckled. "It's not very safe out there. The best thing we can do is lay low while all the sects up there kill each other for the throne. More than likely someone will claim to have royal blood in them and try to rally the sects around him. Either way, it's a bloodbath. Besides, the bastard had it coming to him anyways. I wouldn't care if they all end up killing each other. The ones who are truly innocent will be doing what we'll be doing... Just hiding away."

QuoteCan everyone PLEASE stop bowing? I'm used to not being noticed.

Lai Fen snickered as she ran up ahead slightly, turning around she suddenly kneeled.

"Oh great summoned hero! Please save us all from the demons!" She said sarcastically. Lai Ju on the other hand had an expression showing that she wasn't at all amused.

"Oh quit it! Please hero Fred, most of the Dark Ravens don't share Lai Fen's sentiments..."

Lai Fen rolled her eyes.

QuoteFeel free to respond to any of the threads, use a line break for each different scene.

Linwelin

"Someone with amazing powers. But in the end it's just another person."

"Well... The hero is someone who gives hope to the people. There are other countries that tie their religion to the hero. And the hero is supposed to be sent from the deities as well. For our own country, we grew up tales of hearing about the heroes of the past... The founder of our country thousands of years ago was said to be a hero too."

"Oof, Sorry to not have met expectations, Lai Fen. Though, to be fair, my expertise is in surviving, not fighting. If you want me to fight competently, you'll have to show me how. As for giving hope, well, all I've given so far is a good show. Those guards WERE pretty well built, eh?" He gives a knowing smirk.

"See Fred. Now those are probably worse than me." Lai Fen said rolling her eyes.

"They are the enemies of our country... Well, this world. Perhaps... 25 or so years ago our country, or at least, parts of it, was sent here to this New World. The corrupt royalty of our country send our share of able-bodied men and guards... Though, for the most part, its been forced conscription."

"Not only that, it's usually just the random street urchins and commonfolk that are sent." Lai Fen's eyes grew angry. "Do you know what they do Fred? The capital marches their guards to the neighboring towns, gathering 'recruits'. They kill anyone who resist. And once they took most of the capable fighters, they then moved to randomly picking families here in the capital. They drag them out... Then they will either force them to join, or they kill them on the spot. Either way... The remaining women in the household? Do you want me to describe to you what they've been doing the last 15 years? Since that asshole of an emperor took power?" Lai Fen's words became seething again, and you could tell that she was getting tense.

"Sister..." Lai Ju said, putting a calming hand on her sister's shoulder.

Fred gives a stifled laugh to Lai Fen's response before collecting himself and listening to their explanation. I didn't expect her to get so caught up on that comment. This is great!

Fred gave them a moment, letting the info sink in before emphasizing his point, "Ok, so they're a powerful force, I got that. But what are they?"

"Who? Me?" Lai Fen asked innocently. Though she kept up a slight twitch to her smile. She laughed.

"Try living here. Ever since I pushed the Dark Ravens for vengeance on the sects that sides with the royalty, it's actually been slightly more peaceful."

"No, I meant the people that were trying to kill us. If that's normal, this is worse than my other life. As for trying to live here, well, I'm about to, aren't I?"

"Bastards." Lai Fen said without hesitation.

"Pfft!" Fred stifles another laugh.

"Our enemies are bastards. And our allies are anyone who aren't in league with the bastards."

"Pffhahahaha!" He couldn't stifle it this time.

"It takes years to learn... Even then, it takes time as well for people to learn specific moves and techniques to be used with Ki. The heroes from other countries had learned fast though... so maybe you can as well. Most of us can probably only teach you a handful of techniques, Lai Fen is the one who spent the most time with our master... and is probably the most skilled amongst us with the most techniques."

"Huh, interesting. Well, is there something I can try while we're just walking? Like just summoning an aura? You've seen my 'skill' at fighting, I need some ability. So I want to start as soon as possible doing something. Especially if the fighting up above is normal."

Lai Ju was silent as she considered the question. It looked like she wanted to say something, but Lai Fen was eventually the first to speak.

"She doesn't have a home to return to. Pretty much the story of every member of the Dark Ravens. She's too young to decide that for herself, but we have enough contacts through the city to see if we can find a place for her, or someone to take her in."

Lai Ju glanced at Lai Fen curiously. The look eventually made Lai Fen sigh.

"The truth is, no one will house someone from an ex-royalty member if their rule was replaced. Too much risk involved. You know, my name wasn't always Lai Fen."

"Ahhhh, I see. Well." Fred looks back to address the kid. "I guess you're stuck with us a little while longer, kid. We'll figure out a way to keep you safe."

Lai Ju smiled.

"What we have may not be to your standards... but we have some rations stored in each of our outposts through the city."

"Yup, Fred. If you wanted the easy life, you could have taken the emperor's offer..." She eyed you dangerously. "Of course that meant we had to kill you too."

"She's... joking. She has a tendency to make silly jokes like these all the time."

"Nah, she wasn't joking." Fred said bluntly, "And I wouldn't really blame her. Could you imagine someone choosing to help that dirt bag? I'd be mad, too. And I'm hardly involved." Fred sighed at the thought of possibly dying after just regaining life.

"As for my standards, I guarantee I've gladly eaten worse than any of you are willing to call food. I'm excited for these rations of yours."

Lai Fen snickered as she ran up ahead slightly, turning around she suddenly kneeled.

"Oh great summoned hero! Please save us all from the demons!" She said sarcastically. Lai Ju on the other hand had an expression showing that she wasn't at all amused.

"Oh quit it! Please hero Fred, most of the Dark Ravens don't share Lai Fen's sentiments..."

Lai Fen rolled her eyes.

Fred held a finger up to halt Lai Ju's exclamation, before stepping up to the kneeling Lai Fen. "I shall gladly aide you in your time of need! But first, a more immediate peril stands before us. I sense something nefarious in your food stores. Quickly, lead me there so we might liberate the captive rations!" Fred dramatically points onward, turning back toward Lai Ju and the ex-princess to give a knowing wink.

Followed by a stomach growl.

With a big, toothy grin, Fred shouts, still pointing, "ONWARD!!!!"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Quote"Oof, Sorry to not have met expectations, Lai Fen. Though, to be fair, my expertise is in surviving, not fighting. If you want me to fight competently, you'll have to show me how. As for giving hope, well, all I've given so far is a good show. Those guards WERE pretty well built, eh?" He gives a knowing smirk.

"Well-built? I didn't know you liked them small Fred!"

"Sister..."

"But who am I to judge, right?"

"Sister." Lai Ju repeated herself.

"So Fred, how about you? Small, medium, or large?"

"Sister!"

QuoteFred gives a stifled laugh to Lai Fen's response before collecting himself and listening to their explanation. I didn't expect her to get so caught up on that comment. This is great!

Fred gave them a moment, letting the info sink in before emphasizing his point, "Ok, so they're a powerful force, I got that. But what are they?"

"I've never seen one personally... except the flyers the other countries send our way. They are all shades between red and black. Though I heard there were blue ones too. I heard just one of them was a pretty tough fight. And they say there's thousands upon thousands that the countries bordering demon territory have to fight."

"No one really knows what they are. Even the original countries that were here in our New World first don't know a lot about them. The only thing is that they've been fighting for over a hundred years. There are periods of peace, and then periods of intense fighting."

Quote"No, I meant the people that were trying to kill us. If that's normal, this is worse than my other life. As for trying to live here, well, I'm about to, aren't I?"

"I'm not sure what kind of world you used to live in Fred. But in this one, its kill or be killed. The sects would only give you their protection if you had something to offer them. Because of the corrupt royalty, its only the nobles and merchants with the right connections that make it here. If you don't... you're either sent to the front lines. Taken as a concubine. Or raped then killed."

"Other countries are better than ours. But no one gives a damn. As long as our country continues to give aid in terms of people or goods, then no one is going to intervene in the affairs of our country! Plus that bastard did his best to always refuse actual aid, and even vehemently oppose other countries that tried to help our people. He, the royalty, and anyone associated with him are scum."

The child began to whimper again.

"Shut it kid! if you're father was still alive, I'd gladly kill him again. And over. And over. And over. And over."

The kid huddled closer to you as you all walked.

Lai Fen sighed and looked away.

Quote"Huh, interesting. Well, is there something I can try while we're just walking? Like just summoning an aura? You've seen my 'skill' at fighting, I need some ability. So I want to start as soon as possible doing something. Especially if the fighting up above is normal."

"While walking? Well, I can explain how it goes... but you know Fred, we'll probably have to have you go through a similar training our old master put us through. I can at least tell you what it is."

"Ki is something we all have. In that regard, it's actually similar to Mana. But different too. Let's see... how did that old man used to put it..."

"It's a lifeforce that is in all of us. Though most people are never able to make use of Ki, once you focus and practice, you can make use of it to achieve all sorts of feats. Mana is tied to magic of the world. You can do things like create ice or hurl fireballs at each other. Where Ki is something that can only be brought up by training and practice. That's used to hone your perception of the fight, to increase your reflexes. To be able to do other feats that one without Ki can't do."

"If you want to try, the first step is to identify that Ki in you. Looking into yourself, and focusing is usually the best way... Do you meditate at all, Fred?"

Quote"Ahhhh, I see. Well." Fred looks back to address the kid. "I guess you're stuck with us a little while longer, kid. We'll figure out a way to keep you safe."

Lai Fen glanced at the kid, but said nothing.

Quote"Nah, she wasn't joking." Fred said bluntly, "And I wouldn't really blame her. Could you imagine someone choosing to help that dirt bag? I'd be mad, too. And I'm hardly involved." Fred sighed at the thought of possibly dying after just regaining life.

"As for my standards, I guarantee I've gladly eaten worse than any of you are willing to call food. I'm excited for these rations of yours."

"Sister, I'm no saint, even Fred can see that."

"Yes... but... he is the hero..." Lai Ju pouted.

"You've eaten worse, eh? So, Fred, since we still have time anyways, what was your old world like?"

QuoteFred held a finger up to halt Lai Ju's exclamation, before stepping up to the kneeling Lai Fen. "I shall gladly aide you in your time of need! But first, a more immediate peril stands before us. I sense something nefarious in your food stores. Quickly, lead me there so we might liberate the captive rations!" Fred dramatically points onward, turning back toward Lai Ju and the ex-princess to give a knowing wink.

Followed by a stomach growl.

With a big, toothy grin, Fred shouts, still pointing, "ONWARD!!!!"

Standing back up, Lai Fen followed, shaking her head, but she couldn't help but grin. Lai Ju and the kid followed as well. The child somehow found herself right behind Fred, but was between Lai Fen and Lai Ju. Realizing this, she sped up again and held Fred's shirt.

"You know if I really wanted to kill you, kid, Fred isn't going to stop me." Lai Fen said coldly. The kid winced.

QuoteWe'll move to the next scene once you are ready, and once we've finished the above dialogue threads.

Linwelin

"Well-built? I didn't know you liked them small Fred!"

"Sister..."

"But who am I to judge, right?"

"Sister." Lai Ju repeated herself.

"So Fred, how about you? Small, medium, or large?"

"Sister!"

"Oh, I don't have any preference. But just because I'm not interested in men doesn't mean I can't appreciate the male figure. Strength is always a plus. And they seemed strong"

At her question, Fred blinked a few times. "Huh. I don't actually know." Fred, completely unashamed, then pulls out his waistband (not down) and looks. "Hmm. Good to know."

"I'm not sure what kind of world you used to live in Fred. But in this one, its kill or be killed. The sects would only give you their protection if you had something to offer them. Because of the corrupt royalty, its only the nobles and merchants with the right connections that make it here. If you don't... you're either sent to the front lines. Taken as a concubine. Or raped then killed."

"Other countries are better than ours. But no one gives a damn. As long as our country continues to give aid in terms of people or goods, then no one is going to intervene in the affairs of our country! Plus that bastard did his best to always refuse actual aid, and even vehemently oppose other countries that tried to help our people. He, the royalty, and anyone associated with him are scum."

The child began to whimper again.

"Shut it kid! if you're father was still alive, I'd gladly kill him again. And over. And over. And over. And over."

The kid huddled closer to you as you all walked.

Lai Fen sighed and looked away.

Fred frowns at her description. "Well, I'm certainly used to survival, and avoiding danger. But I've never seen a situation where people try to kill each other over even simple matters. Not from any of the humans I've ever observed. Fights, yes, and sometimes war. But not endless like you describe it."

Once Lai Fen gets on her hate-trip with the ex-emperor again, Fred tries his best to comfort the child while staring her down. "You know, if you keep treating this kid like she's the emperor you just killed, you're going to make her want vengeance instead of survival. Lay off it."

"While walking? Well, I can explain how it goes... but you know Fred, we'll probably have to have you go through a similar training our old master put us through. I can at least tell you what it is."

"Ki is something we all have. In that regard, it's actually similar to Mana. But different too. Let's see... how did that old man used to put it..."

"It's a lifeforce that is in all of us. Though most people are never able to make use of Ki, once you focus and practice, you can make use of it to achieve all sorts of feats. Mana is tied to magic of the world. You can do things like create ice or hurl fireballs at each other. Where Ki is something that can only be brought up by training and practice. That's used to hone your perception of the fight, to increase your reflexes. To be able to do other feats that one without Ki can't do."

"If you want to try, the first step is to identify that Ki in you. Looking into yourself, and focusing is usually the best way... Do you meditate at all, Fred?"

"Huh. Meditate...I've heard that before." Fred thinks to himself. "Oh right! It was the thing where people sat down and closed their eyes! I always thought they were just sleeping, but they always reacted to the world around them as though they were awake. I've never done it, what is it? How do I do it?" Fred said with an excited gleam in his eyes.

"Sister, I'm no saint, even Fred can see that."

"Yes... but... he is the hero..." Lai Ju pouted.

"You've eaten worse, eh? So, Fred, since we still have time anyways, what was your old world like?"

"My world? Well, from what I know of it, it was a beautiful place." Fred smiled, staring off to the side in thought. "Dense jungles, endless plains of grass, rolling desert. All basking under the sun and moon. Being able to freely see it from above was a blessing." He said wistfully. "Civilization was much different from here. Buildings were made from either wood, or liquid stone that solidified. There were also entire buildings made with a frame of metal like your weapons, with clear sheets of something fit between them. They towered higher than the palace into the sky, and gleamed beautifully in the sunlight."

"As for myself, I was just a scavenger. From the day I was born, I flew around, sometimes with others of my kind, observing and finding whatever useful supplies I could. We'd use just about anything, and were cautious enough that most beasts, human or not, didn't bother us."

Standing back up, Lai Fen followed, shaking her head, but she couldn't help but grin. Lai Ju and the kid followed as well. The child somehow found herself right behind Fred, but was between Lai Fen and Lai Ju. Realizing this, she sped up again and held Fred's shirt.

"You know if I really wanted to kill you, kid, Fred isn't going to stop me." Lai Fen said coldly. The kid winced.

"You're right! But you'd definitely be embarrassed. Like those small guys from earlier." Fred jokingly reaches out his hand, pointing it in her direction.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Quote"Oh, I don't have any preference. But just because I'm not interested in men doesn't mean I can't appreciate the male figure. Strength is always a plus. And they seemed strong"

At her question, Fred blinked a few times. "Huh. I don't actually know." Fred, completely unashamed, then pulls out his waistband (not down) and looks. "Hmm. Good to know."

"Well?" Lai Fen said, she glanced at you, trying to get a peek.

Lai Ju went up to her and smacked her on the head. She then turned towards you and bowed. Lai Fen was grinning, but Lai Ju was beet red.

"I'm so sorry for my sister's shameless actions!"

QuoteFred frowns at her description. "Well, I'm certainly used to survival, and avoiding danger. But I've never seen a situation where people try to kill each other over even simple matters. Not from any of the humans I've ever observed. Fights, yes, and sometimes war. But not endless like you describe it."

Once Lai Fen gets on her hate-trip with the ex-emperor again, Fred tries his best to comfort the child while staring her down. "You know, if you keep treating this kid like she's the emperor you just killed, you're going to make her want vengeance instead of survival. Lay off it."

"Like it's any different for how it was 14 years ago! I hate that man, Fred."

She paused for a few moments, but spoke in a quieter town.

"I know she's not the emperor, okay? I see her, and it reminds me of things I'd rather not remember. Compared to me, she had it lucky.The Dark Ravens help out those who need it, and she's here, isn't she? It was months before I was saved..."

Her expression darkened, and she clenched her fists tighter. Her tone of voice was dark.

"The only thing I regret was that he never realized that it was Song Nanfeng who killed him."

Quote"Huh. Meditate...I've heard that before." Fred thinks to himself. "Oh right! It was the thing where people sat down and closed their eyes! I always thought they were just sleeping, but they always reacted to the world around them as though they were awake. I've never done it, what is it? How do I do it?" Fred said with an excited gleam in his eyes.

"Maybe after we meet with the rest we'll show you. It takes some bit of calm to start in the first place."

Quote"My world? Well, from what I know of it, it was a beautiful place." Fred smiled, staring off to the side in thought. "Dense jungles, endless plains of grass, rolling desert. All basking under the sun and moon. Being able to freely see it from above was a blessing." He said wistfully. "Civilization was much different from here. Buildings were made from either wood, or liquid stone that solidified. There were also entire buildings made with a frame of metal like your weapons, with clear sheets of something fit between them. They towered higher than the palace into the sky, and gleamed beautifully in the sunlight."

"As for myself, I was just a scavenger. From the day I was born, I flew around, sometimes with others of my kind, observing and finding whatever useful supplies I could. We'd use just about anything, and were cautious enough that most beasts, human or not, didn't bother us."

Both Lai Fen and Lai Ju had questioning expressions on their face.

"Metallic buildings? That sounds kind of wasteful."

"Liquid stone? Is that some sort of special alchemy?"

"Actually... more importantly."

Both Lai Fen and Lai Ju asked in sync:

"You flew?"

Quote"You're right! But you'd definitely be embarrassed. Like those small guys from earlier." Fred jokingly reaches out his hand, pointing it in her direction.

Lai Fen covered her chest with an arm as she blushed.

"Oh I dare you!"

Linwelin

"Well?" Lai Fen said, she glanced at you, trying to get a peek.

Lai Ju went up to her and smacked her on the head. She then turned towards you and bowed. Lai Fen was grinning, but Lai Ju was beet red.

"I'm so sorry for my sister's shameless actions!"

"Ohhhh?" Fred said in a teasing tone. "You want to know? I didn't realize you wanted to be that intimate, Lai Fen..." He gave her a slight smirk.

Seeing Lai Ju's reaction just made him laugh, waving his hand to dismiss her apology.

"Like it's any different for how it was 14 years ago! I hate that man, Fred."

She paused for a few moments, but spoke in a quieter town.

"I know she's not the emperor, okay? I see her, and it reminds me of things I'd rather not remember. Compared to me, she had it lucky.The Dark Ravens help out those who need it, and she's here, isn't she? It was months before I was saved..."

Her expression darkened, and she clenched her fists tighter. Her tone of voice was dark.

"The only thing I regret was that he never realized that it was Song Nanfeng who killed him."

Fred raised his eyebrows. He decided now was not the time to pick at the details of her salvation, but there was at least one piece of information he thought harmless to confirm. "You'd mentioned 'different names' before. Is that your real name? He was confused. His ability to see names only showed him 'Lai Fen'. If she had another name, should be have been able to see it? He definitely needed to play around with his powers more.

Both Lai Fen and Lai Ju had questioning expressions on their face.

"Metallic buildings? That sounds kind of wasteful."

"Liquid stone? Is that some sort of special alchemy?"

"Actually... more importantly."

Both Lai Fen and Lai Ju asked in sync:

"You flew?"

"You would think so, but they seemed to have an abundance of metals, and were more concerned about having long-lasting structures. Either way, it was quite the sight. As for the stone, I'm not sure if this 'alchemy' was involved. I don't recognize the word, so maybe it was called something different in my world. But I did see them mixing several types of powders together in a big vat with water to make it."

"And yes, I could fly. You know how I said the raven is my 'favorite bird'?" Fred gave a knowing smirk.

"They're my favorite because I was one. I know, a little biased."

"Why else do you think I was so much more comfortable in the air, compared to on the ground? I'm STILL trying to figure out how legs work. Mostly going by imitation."

Lai Fen covered her chest with an arm as she blushed.

"Oh I dare you!"

Fred looked quizzically at her, "Why would you dare me? Usually dares are only when the person being dared doesn't care for the idea. Do you actually want me to do it? Am I missing something? Maybe I didn't understand the concept of 'daring' properly..."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Quote"Ohhhh?" Fred said in a teasing tone. "You want to know? I didn't realize you wanted to be that intimate, Lai Fen..." He gave her a slight smirk.

Seeing Lai Ju's reaction just made him laugh, waving his hand to dismiss her apology.

"Oh please! It's just seeing how you measure up!" Lai Fen said mirthfully. She was about to continue further, but Lai Ju had stopped walking. She didn't seem to be paying attention to Lai Fen's words at all.

"The h-hero and sister? That's not fair!" Lai Ju exclaimed.

Lai Fen was grinning as the silent drew on by, and a moment later she whispered quietly. "Wait for it..."

At that moment Lai Ju kneeled down, her hands covering her face in embarrassment when she finally realized what she had just said and implied.

"I'm s-sorry for my shameless actions!"

"There it is!"

QuoteFred raised his eyebrows. He decided now was not the time to pick at the details of her salvation, but there was at least one piece of information he thought harmless to confirm. "You'd mentioned 'different names' before. Is that your real name? He was confused. His ability to see names only showed him 'Lai Fen'. If she had another name, should be have been able to see it? He definitely needed to play around with his powers more.

"I'm the only daughter from the previous royal family... Song Nanfeng. On that note, Lai Ju isn't her real name either... I'm not sure if you could tell earlier, but we're not related by blood."

"We are sisters though in all other matters."

Lai Fen nodded.

Quote"You would think so, but they seemed to have an abundance of metals, and were more concerned about having long-lasting structures. Either way, it was quite the sight. As for the stone, I'm not sure if this 'alchemy' was involved. I don't recognize the word, so maybe it was called something different in my world. But I did see them mixing several types of powders together in a big vat with water to make it."

"And yes, I could fly. You know how I said the raven is my 'favorite bird'?" Fred gave a knowing smirk.

"They're my favorite because I was one. I know, a little biased."

"Why else do you think I was so much more comfortable in the air, compared to on the ground? I'm STILL trying to figure out how legs work. Mostly going by imitation."

"Really? A bird? I've heard of some pretty crazy things, but I'm pretty sure that takes the top."

"It would explain hero Fred's movements when he first appeared..."

"I guess... and that joke with the tasty gold coin. That always came off as... odd." She paused.

"Okay then, Fred. Are you actually a bird? Who named you Fred? Its a weird name to begin with... Though, most other people in this New World have strange names, so I didn't think much of it then."

QuoteFred looked quizzically at her, "Why would you dare me? Usually dares are only when the person being dared doesn't care for the idea. Do you actually want me to do it? Am I missing something? Maybe I didn't understand the concept of 'daring' properly..."

Lai Fen blushed even more when you mentioned that you might do it.

"You're supposed to make my sister blush, not me! Jeez!"

Linwelin

"Oh please! It's just seeing how you measure up!" Lai Fen said mirthfully. She was about to continue further, but Lai Ju had stopped walking. She didn't seem to be paying attention to Lai Fen's words at all.

"The h-hero and sister? That's not fair!" Lai Ju exclaimed.

Lai Fen was grinning as the silent drew on by, and a moment later she whispered quietly. "Wait for it..."

At that moment Lai Ju kneeled down, her hands covering her face in embarrassment when she finally realized what she had just said and implied.

"I'm s-sorry for my shameless actions!"

"There it is!"

Fred takes a moment to high-five Lai Fen, laughing, before turning to the now-bowing Lai Ju. "The whole thing was a joke, Lai Ju. No need to get so serious and caught up." He'd managed to slow his laughter into chuckling.

"Though now I have to ask...what was so unfair?"

"Really? A bird? I've heard of some pretty crazy things, but I'm pretty sure that takes the top."

"It would explain hero Fred's movements when he first appeared..."

"I guess... and that joke with the tasty gold coin. That always came off as... odd." She paused.

"Okay then, Fred. Are you actually a bird? Who named you Fred? Its a weird name to begin with... Though, most other people in this New World have strange names, so I didn't think much of it then."

Fred nodded along with their comments. "Yea, this body was really weird to get used to. I was lucky to have carefully watched people for so long in my past life. Yes, I was a raven. I named myself, it was the name of a man that treated me well, and is a fairly common name where I'm from."

Lai Fen blushed even more when you mentioned that you might do it.

"You're supposed to make my sister blush, not me! Jeez!"

Fred grinned at the comment and increased blush, "There's no such rule." After the blunt statement, Fred keeps walking, scruffing the head of the kid next to him. Hopefully that tone change for the conversation makes it a little easier on the kid. Fen really needs to take it easy on those death threats...
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

QuoteFred takes a moment to high-five Lai Fen, laughing, before turning to the now-bowing Lai Ju. "The whole thing was a joke, Lai Ju. No need to get so serious and caught up." He'd managed to slow his laughter into chuckling.

"Though now I have to ask...what was so unfair?"

"U-unfair? T-that is... I m-mean..."

"Sister isn't even respectful! Master always said I'd make a better wife!" She finally said. Lai Ju looked away, trying not to make eye contact.

"A wife? For who?" Lai Fen asked teasingly.

Lai Ju just blushed more.

QuoteFred grinned at the comment and increased blush, "There's no such rule." After the blunt statement, Fred keeps walking, scruffing the head of the kid next to him. Hopefully that tone change for the conversation makes it a little easier on the kid. Fen really needs to take it easy on those death threats...

"There's no such rule, huh?" Lai Fen said still slightly blushing. She stopped walking then, and simply watched you scruffle the kid's head.

"I would share, if it was you, sister..." Lai Ju whispered.

"Oh shut it!" Lai Fen said adamantly, even while she was still blushing.