[Zurlane] Chapter 2: Kingdom of Hierdsvain

Started by Throndir, August 01, 2018, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

All it took was a single step. And the moment you did so, everything turned a soft white.

Date: ???

When the pure whiteness vanished you found yourself in an open air room.

Before you could take in your surroundings, various words flashed in your mind, scrolling up as if it came from a translucent screen.

[okay]You have gained a new title『Summoned Hero』
You have gained『Quick Learner』
You have gained『Mana Sensitivity』
You have gained『Translate All』
You have gained『Personal Status』
You have gained『AI Companion』
You have gained a new title『Convergent Mind』
You have gained『Upgrade』
You have gained a new title『Tinkerer』
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You are now level 15. Spend your unallocated points.[/okay]Once the words vanished, a variety of glowing runes and symbols appeared in a circle around you. Beyond that was various windows, open to the daytime sky. There was a lady in front of you. She had long blonde hair and red eyes. What you noticed about her that was distinct was the fact that she wore some armor pieces on her. Not only that you noticed what looked like wings that sprouted from the top of her head - they looked almost like ears.

At the same time, you hear the sounds of swords clashing, mixed in with shouts and bestial roars.

Aurora was no where in sight. But you heard her a moment later as if to alleviate your fears.

"302 life signs." She stated. What she said worried you next. "Or 513. The readings I'm getting are abnormal."

The first lady that you had seen then kneeled down and held her hand in a fist above her heart.

"Oh hero, I beseech thee. Please give us your aid!"

Licel

I quickly scan over the woman in front of me. "Aurora." I say in my head. "Catalog this woman's equipment, see if you can predict her rank and intentions." I lock eyes with the odd looking woman with red hair with a fiery and confident expression, emboldened to begin my quest. "You shall have my aid." I place my hand on her shoulder. "Now take a deep breath and tell me everything. What is the situation?"

While I listen to the woman speak I ask Aurora in my mind to continue trying to decipher the abnormal readings she's receiving.

I then remember that I was previously bare in the plane with Urania and look down to my feet, hands, chest, and so on to make sure I am not standing exposed in front of a stranger and see if I am somehow armed with a weapon.

Another thought crosses my mind. Aurora isn't mechanical anymore, she's something else, something new, her scanners which used to be physical things are gone yet she can still scan for me... something new must be powering her abilities. Again in my mind I ask: "Aurora do things feel different to you? Can you feel me? Can you move me?" I close my eyes and I take a deep breath. "Can you feel me breathing?"

My eyes then return to the red haired woman in front of me. "If I may as well madam... I don't think I've gotten your name yet."
Thank you for letting me fight in the war.

Throndir

[info]You are currently wearing what looks to be civilian clothing from your own world. Feel free to describe what it looks like.[/info]
"Her weapons are reminiscent of the 12th century. Style is similar to the old valkyrja mythologies. Her manner of speaking is strange, I'm detecting an unknown language, her words are unfamiliar, though I understand it as an archaic form  of our own. The armor may designate some rank. However, There is not  enough information to further extrapolate."

You moved towards the red-eyed and blonde-haired girl. When you neared her, she had looked up, then started to rise. You noticed she seemed to stagger. She even gritted her teeth and winced as she finally managed to stand up.

QuoteUse a Heal check to determine any more of her condition.

Finally, when you placed a hand on her shoulder, you noticed that she was slightly uncomfortable with the movement, and even slightly blushed, but chose not to say anything about it.

"Tis good tidings that thou art hither, hero. Demons, foes of goodly folk, hath stormed their way through the northlands. Countless battles we have waged in this god-forsaken war... now all but one bastion has fallen to the drums of carnage. Tis true, this very one we stand upon wilt be our last stand. Beyond, betwixt our lands and those of the south are naught but farmlands and homes." Her gaze was steely, but she continued as a faint glint of hope sparkled in her eyes.

"But rejoice! We feared thine arrival may have been too late. I... could nary believe the summoning worked..."

"Prithee come to battle, help us thwart the demons, and push then back from whence they came from! I beseech thee. Please save us." She crossed her fist over her heart again and bowed her head slightly. All the while, the sounds of battle continued somewhere nearby.

At that moment Aurora explained her readings.

"302 human life-signs. Including the one you are speaking to, though, I detect abnormalities in her physical form.; her ears for one. The remaining 211 are different, beasts, or something similar to them. This is... different than what I remember. Exterior armaments and extensions were controlled through a variety of interfaces to connect to their primary functions, then execute them by their given specifications. However now..."

Aurora paused, as if she was trying to explain how the new system worked.

"It's as if there are easier bridges to cross to reach any of those systems. I do not feel the need to calibrate any mechanism, or to control any individual component. I can feel you Zurlane. I can sense you and feel your breathing. I cannot... move you however. There are... a variety of interfaces that I am not familiar with that I can detect in my system, and many existing functions have been removed or altered as well." Aurora said as she finished her report.

Finally you asked what the red-eyed girl's name was. She responded curtly.

"I am Alvilda of the Hierdsvain clan. We are the valkyrie. I will be thine sword, and thine shield. I pledge allegiance to thee; our hero."

Before you could react, she moved forward, attempting to steal a kiss.

QuoteYou can roll Agility to attempt to dodge, or Strength, to forcefully stop her advance if  you choose.

Licel

I picture myself wearing business formal clothing, the same thing I wore to work every day before the war. A well fitting red tie and black slacks with a black sports jacket and a white dress shirt, all comfortable.

As I notice Alvilda moving forward attempting to steal a kiss I attempt to intercept her before she makes it to my face. I intend to catch her before she kisses me by placing my finger against her lips in a gesture like "hush" but much more gently. I place my other hand on her back and I whisper in her ear. "I shall join your people and push the invaders back, but you must rest now. I accept your allegiance..." I salute in the same gesture with my hand over my heart and a bow just as she did herself "...but you must be my shield sister another day when you are at full strength. Find me after the battle and we will talk. I have many questions about this land I am now in, but this is for another time."
Agility [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 12 + 9, total 21[/blockquote]

"May I inspect your wounds?" I ask as I gesture for her to sit down. "Tell me where it hurts."
Heal Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote]

I then say in my mind. "Thank you Aurora. For now do your best to familiarize yourself with your new systems and if you detect any other threats let me know. I'll do my best to keep us safe and learn what I can."

Throndir

The moment you placed your fingers on her lips. She immediately looked crestfallen. She picked herself up after a moment later however, with more determination in her eyes.

"Wait hero. Thou accepts mine allegiance, but tis hath to be saved for another time? Tis not a disavowment then?" The girl asked, confusing plainly written in her face with a hint of sadness.

When you asked her to see her wounds, Alvilda shook her head.

"Mine injuries art not of physical body. Surely instead they art of spirit and of soul. The summoning ritual that brought thee to us is one that requires mine own spirit and soul. Find not a single wound from battle, save the wound in mine heart."

Aurora didn't seem to say anything from Alvilda's response, but instead she continued with her analysis.

"There are many new systems here. However, trying to activate them does not seem to work. There is a forced message that appears... 'Ability not yet unlocked.' Scanning through the specifications, there also seems to be many more systems that are simply marked as three question marks without an identification."

Licel

As I listen to Alvilda's explanation of her being exhausted due to the summoning ritual I look at her face for any clues that she may be trying to lie or hide any injuries she has received.
Sense Motive
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 14 + 3, total 17[/blockquote]

"Alvilda... though I have only just met you, I can tell that your heart is pure. You may fight alongside me today if that is what you truly wish, but you must swear to me that you will pull back and live to fight another day if the situation grows dire or if you grow too fatigued. It would pain me greatly to see you fall. Will you agree to that for me?" I say with a slight twinge of concern for her well being. I look away. "My apologies for the stinging you feel, but we must not forget that even in the darkest hours new flowers bloom and some flowers that will bloom have yet to be."  My face returns to hers with a smile.

"Now Alvilda, as you can see I am quite under armored for the task at hand. Where might I find some equipment I might borrow in this skirmish? Also who is in charge of the defense?"I say in a more serious tone.

"Understood Aurora, keep checking for anything else. In the meantime what abilities have you discovered that you have unlocked?" I say in my head.

Throndir

[info]Sense Motive: 17
You were not able to get any feelings that Alvilda is untrustworthy, or that something is wrong.[/info]
"Tis my sincerest request to fight. The valkyrie hath withstood the tide of demons for o'er a century. These lands where I and mine people's territory, long before the other nations southwards appeared. We have lost most of the northlands in the decades of war. Erstwhile, we numbered in the millions. Legions of warriors such as I. Now... Less than 40 scores of warriors remain. 15 scores remain hither in Hiedelswatch. The remaining are spread thin in smaller camps across our ever-changing borders. Yet others remain still southwards to thwart against any roaming demon bands that mayeth traverse their ways to our abodes and settlements. Forsooth, tis all we can do to remain keen of mind. The call of battle; to defend our families is the highest honor one can have."

"I wilt fight to the end." She then proceeded to kneel again as a slight blush crept up on her face.

"Taketh me as your companion-in-arms. I swear my allegiance to thee."

At that moment another valkyrie entered the room, roughly opening the door in a hurry. This one had an unusual pink hair and red eyes. Like Alvilda, she also sported what looked like a pair of wings that sprouted from the top of her hair.

"Princess Alvilda! The demons hath broken through the gates! Eydis is leading a defense, but I fear they mayn't holdeth much longer." The new valkyrie then noticed you.

"The summoning... It worked?" Tears started to form in her eyes.

"Thank... the goddess." She managed to get control of herself then and quickly swept the tears away. "We musn't tarry for any longer, mine princess."

With that, and with one long gaze towards you, she quickly turned away.

Licel

I nod to the pink haired valkyrie that just entered the room and say "We shall not tarry."

I extend a hand out to Alvilda still kneeling to help her up and tell her "Then you have changed my mind on the matter. I was not aware of your people's long struggle against these demons.  I understand the need to to defend your family from danger, and I will not ask you to stand down. If death awaits us out there, then let us make it a good one."

I walk half way to the door and stop, taking a second to look at both valkyrie and say with a smile: " Now then, if I'm going to fell a few demons, I'm going to at least need a sword."

"Fighting demons... here goes nothing Aurora." I say in my head.

Throndir

"Hero, don't forget..." Alvilda said as she took your hand, a slight blush on her features.

"I am still going through the list of modules that may or may not be available to me still. It looks like the only system I can access right now is scanning however." Though she still spoke impassively, you detected a hint of sadness in there. She continued a second later.

"An array of archaic weapons can be found beyond the door on some racks, along with shields and their version of protective armor."

As if on cue, Alvilda spoke.

"We have weapons and armor beyond hither, in the halls past the door. Art thou familiar with swords, spears, or the like? Thy body is toned, strong even. Perhaps you were a warrior in thine own world? What manner of weapon did you use?" Alvilda asked as she began to lead the way out of the room.

Licel

"Thank you Alvilda, I shall see what sorts of weapons you have available, unfortunately the technology used to make my weapons of choice have been lost to time, at least, that's one way you could describe it..." I pause "I was a warrior of sorts a long time ago. You could almost say a lifetime ago." I chuckle. "I shall take a brief moment to equip myself and then let the bloody business be done." I say as I follow Alvida out of the room and into the hall looking around at the equipment choices.

"Aurora, why do you sound sad? Is everything alright? Even if all that you have right now is access to scanners I'm still happy to have you here with me to help me. Here I have an idea, try to synchronize with me." I say to her in my head while walking with Alvilda to the doorway to exit into the hallway. I do my best to focus on all of the moments of my body, to feel every muscle movement and project it to Aurora. I imagine what it feels like to walk, what it sounds like, what everything smells like. I look around as well so that she can see everything from all angles. "Just focus with me, we can move together as one, and if you are having trouble, it's alright, we'll get better together." I close my hands one finger at a time and open them. "Here Aurora, how about this, try and see if you can move just this finger here." I wiggle my pinky finger on my left hand just a little bit.

Throndir

Opening the doors, Alvilda lead the way to the rack of weapons. On it was a variety of them. They were all finely crafted. In fact, each one shone brightly as if they were recently polished. You didn't know much about 'archaic' weapons such as these, save those you have read in stories or watched in movies, but they did look pristine and finely crafted.

There were all manner of weapons. Swords of all shapes and sizes, spears, axes, maxes, spiked-chains and morning stars. There were enough scabbards as well to hook any of the weapons to yourself. Apart from those, there were finely crafted shields with varying sizes. To the side was an array of ranged weapons as well.

There were armors as well, ranging from leather armor all the way to heavier ones.

QuotePick out anything you want. You can describe what you want in OOC (Out of character), Messenger, or in-character if you want. And I'll tell you what those are.

"Tis my recommendation to picketh out any of the lighter westments. Anything heavier surely shalt take too long to adorn."

The valkyrie pointed specifically to a shirt made out of linked chains. It has various furnishings as well, along with decoration. You noticed it had a variety of straps too.

She picked up the shirt then, and glanced towards you with a slight blush on her features.

"I ask thee, have thou ever worn armor such as this? Let thy companion help thee." She suggested as she stepped closer as her eyes took in your form.

"I can feel your senses Zurlane. Your body. When I try to focus on your finger and willing myself to move it, the same message appears: 'Ability not yet unlocked'."

She paused for a good few seconds before breaking the silence.

"I wish... to help." She said, hesitating.

"The 4U8 series AI Units were primarily designed to function as an extension for civilians. Our primary objective is to support our operator." She said almost robotically.

"However, this particular unit lacks the proper equipment to function as my intended purpose." She paused as if searching for the right words.

"I believe something is wrong with me, Opera- Zurlane." She said. "It is hard to explain. I feel the intense need to be of service to you, but having the lack of abilities to do so makes me... makes me..." For the first time in her existence, she couldn't find the words to describe it.

Licel

I smile with a little smirk and lock eyes with Alvilda at her invitation to assist me in putting on my armor, but don't say anything. I look at all of the equipment in front of me. "I'll need just a few things. Firstly I'll take this armor." I point to a set of studded leather armor sitting on an armor stand. It looks as though it was designed for an archer or other ranged fighter as the right arm is far less armored than the left leaving the wielder extra range of movement. It looks as though someone has personalized it with embroidery in gold and white twine so it's not completely plain but otherwise it is dyed black. The metallic studs look as though they have recently polished as well. The armor for the legs look as though they are still leather, but much lighter and not studded, probably designed for a skirmisher. The boots next to the armor are light as well, but look to have a durable sole. This armor was clearly all designed to go together as the colors and embroidery match and look as though they flow into each other. This set does not look like it was created with a helmet.

I walk back over to the weapons, looking them over as I walk. As I inspect each one I begin to undo my tie, jacket, and dress shirt folding them and leaving me shirtless in the hall. "This looks good too." I say picking up a large crossbow. The weight feels like that of the rifles I was used to using in the war. It is slender but long, a dark wood as well that matches my armor. On the buttstock it looks as though a rose was painted but never finished, the bulb outlined in white paint but never filled in. The metal limbs of the bow are a dull metallic grey. On the front, the stirrup looks as though it comes to a point that could be used in a very dire situation to defend oneself. In the back I see that it has a polished chrome crank with two handles for pulling back the sting. "This will do nicely." I say picking up a leather quiver of crossbow bolts. I set the crossbow and bolts down on a bench.

"I'm missing one thing though." I say tapping my chin. "Ahh!" I say snapping my fingers. I walk over to a rack of bladed weapons and grab a rapier, I begin to turn it around in my hand feeling the fuller, but put it back unsatisfied.

While picking out a new rapier to test I try to calm Aurora's fears and doubts by talking to her in my head. "Aurora, I want you to remember something for me. It's ok to make mistakes, to not know what to do, for things not to feel normal or natural. Embrace your new life and new existence. All that matters right now to me is that you are here and we get to go through this crazy adventure together. I know you want to help me and that's what matters. Just having you here to talk with me is more than helpful, you make me feel confident and safe, did you know that? Besides, ability not yet unlocked doesn't mean you won't have them ever, you just don't have those abilities right now. We'll get them, we'll both get better of as time goes on."

I give myself a little hug. "You know... that was just for you. It's not much, and if I could I would give you a real hug, but the fact that you can feel one is good enough for me right now. I want you to remember something Aurora. You're not a 4U8 anymore, and you never were just a 4U8 to me. You're a woman, a real woman with thoughts and feelings and the fact that you want to help me, means so much to me. There's nothing wrong with you. You're unique and special and I love you very much just the way you are, in fact even if you never got another ability I wouldn't change you or regret anything. For now let yourself go," I close my eyes and feel the sword hilts in front of me down the rack and breathe deeply. "Enjoy these new sensations." I open my eyes again and look up at the sky. "Enjoy the world around you."

I finally come to one that is fully chrome from the tip to the handle. It has a very elaborate and swirling guard and is very thin. I look down the blade from the guard and see it has a very unique diamond shape that is very pointed. I look for the guard and see it laying just beside the blade, black and chrome. I lay it next to the crossbow on the bench.

"Alvilda..." I walk over to her. "...Would you be so kind as to help me with my equipment?" I stand before her and place my arms out to my sides. "That is, if you don't mind."

Throndir

QuoteRequesting that you keep your inventory up to date yourself, since it lessens my load a slight bit. There's an Items tab in your character sheet.

"Understood, Zurlane... and thank you." Aurora finished, unsure how to respond.

Alvilda watched carefully and curiously as you hugged yourself, then shortly after, looked to the sky.

"Hero, I ask thee, why dost thou hug thyself? If though wouldst willing..." Alvilda looked away and slightly blushed, but turned back towards you. "Thine companion would be willing to show thee affection."

The valkyrie then proceeded to start strapping on and placing the armor on you. You yourself didn't quite know exactly where each belt and strap connected to, but the valkyrie was able to cover for your lack of knowledge.

QuoteIt will take a full minute (or 10 rounds), for the armor to be equipped. Feel free to have a quick conversation/actions. I'll be reading it outloud and timing it to get an idea of how much rounds would have passed.

Licel

"Alvilda..." I say realizing that some of my actions may seem a bit odd given that she doesn't know that I've been talking to Aurora. "... Let me tell you a story while you help me with my armor, it might be a good way for you to understand why I might seem a little distant." I smile at her. "I do not want you to think that I dislike you and I do appreciate the fact that you are playful and willing to show me affection and friendship. It makes this place feel more comfortable."

I clear my throat and my eyes affix on nothing in particular off in the distance. "Once upon a time, a long time ago there was very young boy who lived in a large town. It was so large that everyone who lived in that town could look up into the sky at night and see the stars and each and every one of those people knew they had a star in the sky that was their star, just for them. Each person, when it was night, just before they went to sleep would look up at their star and it would twinkle just for them. This boy was no different, he looked up at his star and watched it twinkle. As the boy grew older he would look up at his star and he would watch it in awe, he would look at it twinkle and he would understand what each twinkle meant and what it said to him. He knew that each twinkle was just for him and it made him feel good and happy. Then one day he began to think about his star all the time and he began to wonder if he could find a way he could reach his star. He began to think and work, and he got a career learning about the stars in the sky and he began to build something. As this foolish boy became a man he began to build a tower and it climbed higher and higher and he thought that maybe, just maybe if he built tall enough he could make it all the way to his star and reach his hand out and touch it and show it that loved it so."

I take a very deep breath and tears fill my eyes. "And then something terrible happened... A war came and this boy turned a man was pulled away and forced to fight, but every night he would think and work to build his tower better and faster and stronger. He became more skilled and his tower climbed higher and faster than ever before, and whenever the skirmishes of the day ended he would go back to work, his blood and sweat and tears going into his project, his heart in his chest. He grew closer and closer and he could almost reach his star... but then... he was cut down on the field of battle. When he died, his tower came crashing down with him..." I look down. ".. and as his tower fell it struck the star, sending it crashing down with him and it shattered as it struck the ground."

I look Alvidia in the eyes. "Then a miracle happened. The man awoke anew in a strange place in the presence a goddess made of stars herself, and she showed him the star that he loved so much. Showed him that it was not broken and returned it to the sky."

I close my eyes for a few moments and stand in silence.

"Now what does this man do next?" I say with my eyes closed. "Well he has a plan, but it's a secrete. You see the rest of story is still being written..." I try to smile. "... but I'll let you know how it ends when it's over."

Throndir

[okay]Heroic Action Point granted[/okay]"And thine star? Tis something thou is still reaching for?" She looked wistfully at you as she continued to strap your armor on.

"The carnage of war hath taken many a life thither the world after. Families art broken. Mothers without daughters. Fathers without companionship. Tis the harsh reality mine people hath endured for o'er a century. We number few. Yet, verily, we still seek our fortune. We find the good in our lives."

"Dost such a reason existeth that thou may only seek out a single star? Prithee I be thy second star?"