[Hanako] Chapter 5: Slave Owner's Assets

Started by Throndir, December 17, 2018, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 5: Slave Owner's Assets》

[info]《Summary
Found out all of Klein's assets. He apparently had a business going on that included mining operations and money lending. Minette called for someone who was good at appraising, and later that day Wendy arrived. The chests in the cellar turned out to be elven chests, filled with mithril coins. The total wealth was 800,000 GP. Finally, they found some interesting information in Klein's room.

Characters Met
Wendy

Returning Characters
Trudy
Minette
Amarille

Information
Klein's Assets

Developments
Klein's letter to daughter
Klein looking for something[/info]Location: Herr Klein's Estate - Minette's Study
Date: Day 4 - 6 PM

"Oh? Frau hero... you wanted to know about Klein's records? He had... a lot of things..." Minette said as she moved over to some stacks of paper. Like before she was wearing her coat, but she seemed to have been missing her pants. Her white underwear was plain to see, though, she either didn't seem to notice, or was unconcerned.

"I thought... you might have wanted to know. So... I made a report." She placed the papers on a desk, and started arranging them into neat stacks. Looking at them you realized they were a rather detailed accounting on Klein's assets. Or at least the ones he had. Altogether Klein was heavily involved with gathering and producing metals, though he sold the metal ingots to customers rather than using it himself. He also owned a money lending operation, and most of his goods were under the name 'Klein Company'. It seemed like Minette handled most of ther accounting and administrative work, while Klein provided a lot of the direction. Apparently there were others like Minette who handled the more finer details of each operation on the sites themselves.

Klein also seemed to have plans for expansion. There were plots of land that he had recently acquired, and he had planned to setup a lumberyard, oir perhaps another factory. It looked like the one with the summoning circle was also part of this new land. Apparently, according to the records, that area of land had suddenly appeared not too long ago, and Klein already had dealings with the government in order to purchase the land when it was available. It seemed to have been by chance that Klein stumbled upon a summoning circle.

QuoteMinette gives you all the information about it. Assume you can recall this information from memory with a DC 10 INT, or potentially applicable Knowledge check, or Autohypnosis check at DC 15 (for memorizing the entire thing). If you have the stacks of paper, or choose to keep a notebook for yourself, or have Minette on hand, you can skip the skill checks.

Assets
Two Mines
Rights to Access Mines (sold slots to other miners/slave owners)
Ore processing factory/smelter, equipment to process any kind of ore
One office for factory, not on site
Trade contracts with direct dealings with manufacturers or produced ingots
Shipment and fulfillment for products to clients
A small number of slaves/solders in various neighboring towns to handle bank transactions and money orders from clients/manufacturers
A money lending operation, under the name Klein Company
Deeds to large plots of land outside the city, the ruins you were summoned in.
Rights for lumber cutting and processing
Many other slaves and soldiers.

Unfinished business
Plans for a lumberyard, stocked with slaves
A plan with the government to provide housing or construction for the invaders, by supplying the necessary materials. Primarily stones and metals, but orders of wood would have been required.
Plans to purchase more slaves from slave owners.
Plans for buying a 3rd mine, or at least majority rights

"Oh... One more... last thing... When Klein found the summoning circle... Hired the Idorian mage to initiate the summoning ritual... He cancelled many of his next upcoming appointments... Usually... the other administrative assistants in the other sites handle the day-to-day... But... they do send mail on updates to the business... and he does meet monthly with them. But... there are other meetings coming up still... His next slave contact meeting is in a few days from now... Then one of our couriers from the next city over has completed the buying of one of the lands near there... He has a negotiation with outsourcing more of our mining rights coming up in a week too."

Minette continued to list a variety of upcoming meetings and negotiations. She even pointed out a calendar that Klein had kept. Having Sofia Leiningen, the Chief Executive of her own business, appear in order to make some business deals didn't seem to be as far-fetched anymore.

"I haven't yet cancelled all of the meetings coming up... If we are to try and spin the story of Klein's reclusiveness, other nobles might instead decide to visit... Especially if there's a specific deal they were most interested in making with the Klein Company. We might be able to send each of them letters to cancel anything we have pending though...

Lastly, a letter had come in this morning, with an invitation from Sofia Leiningen to Klein and his servants for a tour of their new facility, in hopes that they can create an 'agreement'."

QuoteIf you want any more detail on any of his assets or listings, or his upcoming schedule let me know.

Asta

Klein's assets were, extensive to say the least. She looked around the room for a minute searching for a little notebook or something that she could write the information down on.

"What a headache..." she finally said looking it all over again. "We are going to need to cancel or postpone some of these meetings at least. There's no way we can keep up the appearance the Klein is still alive if he's got someone coming by constantly. Can you give me the approximate amounts of income from each of these dealings, and the costs for the upcoming purchases he planned on making? Also, do yo know how much money he has in currency and liquid assets, as well as if it's kept in a bank or here at the estate? Things like jewelry or art that can be sold quickly."

The management of Klein's wealth was shaping up to be a nightmare, but it was something that needed to be done. His busy upcoming schedule was even more of an issue. Not everyone that had a meeting with him was going to be as sympathetic as Sofia, and simply detaining everyone that came by the estate wasn't a viable option. Minette was right as well, you couldn't simply cancel all of his meetings either because that would look suspicious for someone so well landed.

Fortunately Sofia had extended an invitation to meet with her about making an 'agreement', whatever that really meant. To Hanako though, it was going to be an attempt to offload some of the bulk of Klein's holdings while still taking a cut of the profits. She hoped too that she would be able to get some of the slaves that worked in those mines and factories freed.

[info]Hanako is also going to look at the calendar in detail to see whats coming up for the next few weeks.[/info]

Throndir

"Klein's assets... And his income... Yes." She said slowly as she leafed out another stack of papers. On it were various numbers and tables, along with long lists of items.

"Most... are kept in the bank under his account, though, he has authorized slaves that proceed with the transactions for him, as long as there's a written note with his signature." She conveniently pointed to a slip of paper and handed to you. On it looked to be Klein's signature.

QuoteYou can mimic Klein's signature with a Linguistics check, using Forgery. However, since this is potentially a lot of secret rolls on my end, I'll waive this requirement if you go through a new Training: Klein's Signature, DC 10, Successful Training Required: 4. Before that Training, I'll go ahead and do a secret roll on a daily basis using your Linguistics skill for success/failures for the Forgery attempts that day, and will keep track of any transactions that are done then.

"For his liquid assets... he has... this much." She pointed to a total number on the stack of papers.

"We haven't gone through the things he keeps in his estate though... Such as the art and other valuables. We can task the soldiers and the others to collect the valuables... Maybe it will take a day to go through it and estimate... I would like... the help of one of the slaves at the foundry offices... She has an eye for appraisals. Though, I would suggest we keep furnished any public areas in case there are visitors."

[info]Kingdom Building Rules, I'm still learning/absorbing all of it, so things could change below

Klein's Assets (Now Hanako's)
Assets in Bank: 50 BP (About 200,000 GP)
Assets in Estate: Unknown

Building Assets (Elstergen)
Open Lots: ? (Need to make and check District Map, I'll need your input for placement of buildings)
Klein's Estate (Mansion): 1 Lot
Park: 1 Lot
Jail: 1 Lot
House x2: 2 Lots
Shop (Money Lending, some goods): 1 Lot
Foundry: 2 Lots

Building Assets (Flensberg)
House: 1 Lot
Shop (Money Lending, some goods): 1 Lot

Building Assets (Mining Site #1)

Building Assets (Mining Site #2)

Cost of Planned Purchases (Paperwork and contracts are ready to go once payment is received)
Lumber Mill (Flensberg): 6 BP, 1 Lot
Mining Site (Mining Site #3): 6 BP
Land (1 entire hex): 10 BP
House x3: 9 BP, 3 Lots
Trade Shop: 10 BP, 1 Lot
[/info]Minette eventually showed you the calendar as well.

[info]Day 7: Invitation from Sofia Leiningen to the Birkensen Trading Company to tour their new facility.
Day 9: Meeting with Flensberg official to discuss purchase of Land that contains Mining Site #3. Along with Lumberwork Rights.
Day 10: Meeting with slaver.
Day 12: Meeting with Flensberg Construction Company representive in Elstergen to discuss Lumber Mill and Mining Site
Day 13: Meeting with slaver.
Day 15: Monthly meeting with slaves in charge of Mining operations, Foundry operations, Money Lending operations
Day 16: Meeting with potential investor to help fund setup costs of new Flensberg Lumber Mill operation.
Day 17: Meeting with slaver.
Day 18: Meeting with potential buyers of Mining Rights to Mining Site #3
Day 20: Meeting with slaver.
Day 22: Meeting with slaver.
Day 24: Meeting with government official about exporting to other countries
[/info]

Asta

Hanako looked over the list of properties and tried to get a general idea of the monetary and strategic value of all of Klein's property and businesses. With Minette's help she started to get a clearer picture of where things stood, though she still had some questions.

"Do we have a list of the individuals or businesses that we sell ore and processed materials to? I think I also need to see who Klein lent money to through his money-lending company. Lastly, I should probably see a list of who has mining rights at the mines we already own."

Life as a "hero" was beginning to look a lot like working at a corporate entity back on earth, starkly in contrast with her long held desire to live an easy life. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but this is getting out of hand. Was I really sent here to become a salaryman? Aren't heroes supposed to go out and have adventures and stuff?

Hanako sighed, the numbers were making her head spin. "Go ahead and get the girl you mentioned from the foundry office to come here and help asses how much money we have sitting around as art and whatnot. I don't think we'll end up selling any of it right away but it's a good idea to know what we can turn into quick cash if we need it."

She stood back and folded her arms across her chest, and looked at the floor with a furrowed brow. "Also send Leiningen a response telling her that 'Klein' would be happy to visit but due to illness he will be sending an envoy in his stead. Now I think I need to go talk to Trudy about coming up with a disguise or something for when we leave the estate."

When she was finally finished giving directions she unconsciously brought a hand up and placed it on Minette's head, patting it absentmindedly. "Thank you for all your hard work. I don't think I'd be able to make this work without it."

Throndir

Minette then pulled out another stack of papers, on it was a list of clients that Klein had worked with. He had apparently inherited contacts from the Klein family's networks. The list included small smiths, but with bigger ones as well. You noted that the Birkensen Trading Company was among one of those contacts that bought a lot of metal ingots that Klein's company produced. Apart from that, there were orders from the government itself, along with to a couple of the neighboring towns. However there was no contacts outside of the Refedoria kingdom.

Likewise for Klein's money-lending, he didn't have a specific preference on who he catered towards. His was a relatively small lending-company though, so it was primarily used by small-time individuals. With his ranking as a noble, he could always strong-arm the poorer, or even have the defaulters arrested then enslaved.

Lastly, for the mining rights, Klein seemed to sell most of those rights to another competing mining company. They were in leases, which was set to expire in the next five weeks before a negotiated renewal.

QuoteIf you have specific plans for the list of contacts, let me know

"Numbers aren't too bad.. they're always there... never changing... And you can understand them too." Minette said smiling softly as she reached to take your to comfort you. She let go shortly after.

"I'll send one of our couriers to bring her with us... But... No one else outside of this mansion knows we killed Klein. We haven't told any of the other slaves or soldiers on the other sites... The less people that knew, the better... We figured you would decide once you were able to."

She marked something the calendar when you mentioned Sofia Leiningen, Minette nodded as well.

When you patted her head absentmindedly, Minette seemed to blush slightly, but she kept her eyes on you.

"Thank you... for saving us." Minette finally said.

Asta

Hanako smiled weakly, it wasn't that she didn't like being thanked but rather the weight of that thanks was almost oppressive. "People aren't property is all. Plus, we aren't really out of the woods yet but I'm trying to get a plan together. You were right to keep the information under wraps, I think the phrase another country from my world used to use was: 'Loose lips sink ships'. I would like to get as many of those people out though, so they'll learn about it eventually."

There was still so much to do, and too much of it hinged on the meeting she was going to have with Sofia. She dared to hope that her sympathies were more than simple self preservation, but the way the woman appeared to treat her slaves implied there was something more there.

"Okay" she said after a moment of silence. "I'm gonna go see Trudy about some things but I'll see you later tonight assuming you're still standing guard. I want to go over my ideas with the two of you as well."

With that, she said her see-you-laters and left the room to find Trudy. While she wandered the halls looking for her, Hanako couldn't help but think about how insanely lucky she was to have the help that Trudy and Minette had supplied. This would have been so awful otherwise.

[info]If you can give sort of a rough percentage of how much of the produced materials are going to each contact that would be nice.[/info]

Throndir

[info]Metal Ingot Sales
Government contracts: 31%
Blueland Processing: 14%
Busch Metall: 12%
Henkel's Construction Depot: 10%
Crafter's Guild: 9%
Thomas & Co: 8%
Birkensen Trading Company: 8%
Other companies: 6%
Individual smiths/small groups/personal buyers: 2%

Money Lending
Individual smiths/small groups/personal buyers: 39%
Government contracts: 21%
Other companies: 16%
Blueland Processing: 9%
Crafter's Guild: 7%
Thomas & Co: 5%
Birkensen Trading Company: 3%

Mining Rights
Busch Metall: Limit 150 workers at Mining Site #1, contract expiring on Day 37
Busch Metall: Limit 150 workers at Mining Site #2, contract expiring on Day 37
Blueland Processing: Limit 50 workers at Mining Site #1, contract expiring on Day 52
Blueland Processing: Limit 50 workers at Mining Site #2, contract expiring on Day 52
[/info]

You found Trudy on the first floor, talking with one of the slaves. It was an elf, the same one who had first talked to you down in the dungeon.

"Hero! Frau hero." She said, correcting herself. The elf was no longer wearing rags, like most of the slaves, they had gone through the estate looking for any sort of clothes. Eventually there were a few who decided to go through Klein's room as well, though, there were a few of the slaves who refused to touch any of the clothing in there.

"When you have some free time... I need to make a request."

Asta

Hanako waved the formality away. "Just Hanako please, and certainly. I need to have a quick meeting with Trudy here but afterwards I'd be happy to listen."

For a moment while she was speaking to the woman she had to struggle not to stare at her ears. A real elf, I guess this is a 'fantasy' world after all...

Throndir

"Hanako! You needed to see me?" Trudy asked. "You know I'd always make time for you..." She continued with her cheeks turning a slight red, but she smiled right after.

"How can I help?"

Asta

Hanako returned the smile. Cute.

"You may or may not know that 'Klein' has received an invitation from Sofia Leiningen to tour some new facility of hers and strike a deal or something of the sort. It's likely that she wants to meet with me because she wants something. I plan on going, with you and Minette as well as one or two others to meet with her because I have an agreement of my own I'd like to propose. However, there is a small problem." She made a sweeping gesture over her body, indicating that she was in fact the problem mentioned.

"It's plain to anyone with eyes that I'm not from here, and that's bound to draw attention. There's not a great deal of options as far as I'm aware to disguise this fact so I'm looking for what choices we actually have available. I could probably put on a wig or bleach my hair or something, but if anyone takes a closer look they're going to know I'm not from around here. Second to that, I probably don't have the mannerisms or speech of one of your countrymen."

She scratched her head. "I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to hear what you think and we can compare that to what I've been thinking..."

Throndir

"Well... You do stand out a bit... But your kind of hair and looks are similar to the people in one of our neighboring countries in this New World. You might have heard or seen Isikawa when you were looking at the records with Minette? I haven't seen many of them... But the demons are still at war with that country, and unlike us who surrendered, they are still fighting.

If the demons don't kill them outright, they torture them, but sometimes they give them as slaves to the humans in our country that please them... Maybe... Maybe you could pass off as one of them? What do you think?"

Asta

"Isikawa huh... The name even sounds similar to a prefecture in Japan. That... that might work. We'll have to do the collar thing again, but that was a given anyway. Do the slave soldiers in this country have military ranks? I would imagine it would look odd for a foreigner to be leading a bunch of other slaves."

The existence of a country that sounded like a pseudo Japan had some promise to it, and Hanako considered that she might need to adjust her plan. She'd run it all by Trudy and Minette later and get their input, and hopefully it wouldn't seem too impossible to pull off. The linchpin would still be Sofia though, and there wasn't any assurance that she would help.

Throndir

"Not official ranks no... That's usually decided by the owner who's in charge of who. But for us soldiers, we still try to be respectful towards others who were of a higher rank than us while we were still in the military. Rank means nothing these days to everyone else, except for maybe deciding which of us would make a good fit for leading if it came to defending ourselves or our owner."

"An Isikawan slave wearing a soldier's uniform might normally be strange too... But dressing up in different clothes for the owner..." Trudy didn't continue that line of thought though.

"What do you think?"

Asta

Hanako scratched her chin thoughtfully for a moment before speaking. "Yeah, that makes the most sense really. Lets see if we can find some plain clothes I can wear instead to avoid standing out. If we can't find anything already made, maybe we can ask someone to sew. While were in public, you guys are probably gonna have to treat me like I'm beneath you since I'm a captured foreigner."

She took a minute to think if there was something else she might need to ask before going off to find the elf. "I think that's it for that part of the plan... I've got some stuff I want to discuss with you and Minette later tonight though. Thank you for working so hard, I don't think we would have made it this far without all you've done."

[info]If this conversation gets resolved by the next post, Hanako is gonna go off and find that elf woman to see what she wants.[/info]

Throndir

"We'll find something! There's a couple of slaves who are good with sewing, and some of them have begun making clothes for everyone using some fabrics they found in one of the rooms. Likewise, a few of us can go down to the clothing store and pick some things out."

QuoteAssume you're able to get any kind of clothing that's reasonable and fitting for the style and dress code of the people here.

Date: Day 4 - 6 PM

You found the elf sitting a room away, she had pulled out what looked to be a letter since and it was in front of her on the table. She noticed your presence.

"Hanako. It is strange... to be calling a hero simply by their name, Trudy seems to say it freely, but I figured you had already spoken to her. She's always been the most devout among us all." The elf smiled.

"My name is Amarille Lassetaure..." She hesitated as she glanced at you waiting for a reaction, but a moment later she continued. "I'm sorry, I haven't used my real name ever since I was captured... I'm from the elvish kingdom of Lassetaure. And..." She pushed the letter in front of her towards you.

"I'd like to be able to send this letter to my father... to let him know I'm still alive."