[IC] Tzane the Troll

Started by Throndir, November 30, 2013, 06:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

The thudding footsteps that Kin heard was almost an illusion; the sound echoed off the walls, and even though the footsteps seemed near, they were farther than expected. Picking up his torch and dashing forward into the caverns, the layout familiar to the halfling who had been there before, Kin forced the torch into the ground. The next room of the caverns lighted up, and a large troll was staring right back at them.

"Who is yous? Food? Looks and smell like half-food." It carried no visible weapons, what was more noticable was the smell. As its stench filled your nostrils, you couldn't help but almost gag. The large creature had sagging shoulders andlong arms with pointed claws at the end.

[spoiler]Rolls/Effects/Summary:
[spoiler]
Round 1 begins.
Kin: Moves forward 20 ft.
Chadra: Moves forward 20 ft.
Jornathel: Casts Mage Armor.
Elys: Moved south.
Round 1 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Branwen
Round 2 begins.
Kin moves east, laughing really loudly, with some really bright blazing lights.
Round 2 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Chadra, Jornathel, Elys, Branwen
Auto: None
Kin: Moves SE, plants torch on the ground, defensive stance.
Branwen: Moves SE, casts Invisibility.
Jornathel: Moves SE, casts Bless.
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 1 in progress - Still to move: Chadra, Jornathel, Elys, Branwen

Missed Turns
Branwen: 1
Chadra: .5
Elys: .5
Jornathel: .5

Damage Dealt

Spells/Abilities/Potions/Items used since the day:
Branwen

Jornathel
Mage Armor
Bloodline Spell: Bless

Party HP
Chadra: 37/37, Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 3 minutes/30 rounds)
Kin: 22/22, Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 3 minutes/30 rounds)
Jornathel: 20/20, Mage Armor (+4 AC, lasts a long time), Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 3 minutes/30 rounds)
Branwen: 18/18,  Invisibility (5 minutes/50 rounds), Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 3 minutes/30 rounds)
Elys: 16/16, Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 3 minutes/30 rounds)

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Seeing her chance to slip by, Branwen muttered another spell to herself before quietly making her way through the dark cave. She glided on the shadows, unseen even to the dark eyes of a troll. Her best position was behind her enemy - she didn't want to miss that chance.

[spoiler]Branwen casts Expeditious Retreat on herself, then stealthily moves 60 feet along the wall, past Tzane, while remaining invisible.

Move silently: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 19 + 10, total 29[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Linwelin

Kin guffaws, "Food? No, no, you have it all wrong, we're your death!" Surprisingly Kin does not move after this, as he saw his advantage, so he just decided to taunt the beast into attacking him. I'm good at angering things after all. He thinks, smirking to himself.

"So what are you waiting for, come and get it! Or are you too big and slow to move? Eh, fatso?"

"That should do it." He mutters to himself. "Once he comes running at me, I'll go on the defensive and take the hits. Everyone else, go wild. He probably won't look to hit anyone but me after that." After all, despite his temperament, Kin was a strategist; he just usually found it more fun to charge in. This time, he wanted to play with his toy a bit before breaking it.

[spoiler]
Take a total defense stance (+4 dodge to AC, cannot attack), and mark the troll as my dodge target (+1 dodge to AC).
AC: 24

Otherwise, I'm just taunting the creature. I don't even know Bran is going behind him, but BOY will Kin be happy to see it XD[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Bootman

Chadra heard the voice and immediately sprinted for the entrance of the room with an odd urgency she had never shown before.  The woman pulled out her weapon as she ran and stood on guard at the entrance, looking for which of the shifty forms was her target. She couldn't smell him over her own stench, and he wasn't talking much so she couldn't hear him. The gladiator was forced to rely on her sight. It took her a moment, but she found a large form that wasn't one of the ones she came in here with. As she stared at it, it became more clear until a troll, not a large fuzzy blur, was standing before her.

"Tzane..." Chadra said with a degree of force.

She pointed her blade at the troll threateningly.

"Time to fight again."

Oddly, the woman spared a glance at her teammates. The only one she was concerned with right now with Greatsword. Now that she stared at him, she could tell he was quite small.

"Greatsword. We fight together, yes?" She questioned to Kin.

Linwelin

Kin took a moment to turn and crack a smile at Chadra, "Yes, together! Let's hold the line so he can't get to the others." He then turns his attention back to the troll, ready to fight. But, for good measure, he made a taunting expression at it, hoping to ensure it lets its guard down.

"Come on, ya dumb brute!" He shouts, laughing.

[spoiler]Action stays the same

Love that talking's a free action ^_^[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

"No half-food call me dumb!" It roared in defiance as it clenched its fists, weaving his long dangling arms forward. The creature quickly closed the gap, raising its claws and swiping at the halfling. The attack never came close to hitting however, as Kin had already evaded the attack.

"Small half-food move quick." The creature drooled. "Like bunny."

[spoiler]Branwen, you may roll an attack of opportunity vs the Troll if you choose to.
Rolls/Effects/Summary:
[spoiler]
Round 3 begins.
Auto: Durations go down.
Kin: Moves SE, plants torch on the ground, defensive stance.
Branwen: Moves SE, casts Invisibility.
Jornathel: Moves SE, casts Bless.
Branwen: Casts Expeitious Retreat, moves S.
Round 3 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Chadra, Elys
Round 4 begins.
Auto: Durations go down.
Kin: Total defense
Chadra: Moves SE.
Troll: Attacks and deals
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 4 in progress - Still to move: Jornathel, Elys, Branwen

Missed Turns
Branwen: 1
Chadra: 1
Elys: 1
Jornathel: .5

Damage Dealt

Branwen
Expeditious Retreat

Jornathel
Mage Armor

Party HP
All: Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 26 rounds)
Chadra: 37/37,
Kin: 22/22,
Jornathel: 20/20, Mage Armor (+4 AC, lasts a long time),
Branwen: 18/18,  Invisibility (46 rounds), Expeditious Retreat (49 rounds)
Elys: 16/16,

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Mocking the troll further, Kin responds with the same speech pattern, "Small half-food have claw, too!" As he says this, he slightly lowers his guard to make a guarded slash at the troll's leg. He wished he could go wild like usual, but he remembered what happened last time he took a hit from one of these. It didn't feel that good.

Once it got significantly weaker, he'd go for a full, accurate strike, but for now, he relied on his companions for the offensive work.

[spoiler]
AC: 22
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Attack:  1d20+1 : 16 + 1, total 17
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Damage:  2d6+5 : 1, 4 + 5, total 10[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Oath

Seeing Tzane pop up didn't really phase Elys. Sure he might be big and may or may not crush her companions under foot, but that wouldn't happen instantly. Stepping to be behind Kin, Elys launched two shots in rapid succession, filling the cave with the smell of gunpowder and the din from the firing.

[spoiler] Taking a 5 foot step southeast, to be behind Kin by 3 squares. Using rapid shot and reloading with a cartridge between the two shots since that is a free action. Resolved against touch AC since I am within 20 feet.

Attack roll 1:[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 3 + 4, total 7[/blockquote]
Damage roll 1:[blockquote]Rolled 1d8 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]

Attack roll 2:[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5[/blockquote]
Damage Roll 2: [blockquote]Rolled 1d8 : 5, total 5[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Eireleen

Branwen allowed the lumbering brute to pass by her, unimpeded. She wouldn't waste her opportunity for an opening strike here. The troll's reach was far greater than hers - she would need to remain hidden in order to make her approach safely. And once she was in such short range, making an escape would entail its own danger.

She had placed herself in a strategic offensive position - she was able to attack from behind. But by allowing the troll to occupy her only escape route, she was willingly trapping herself within his domain.

It was, in essence, an all-or-nothing gamble. She was relying on her ability to take down her enemy without needing to run. This was a tactic that could only be enacted by one who didn't care for her own life.

After all, her body was nothing more than an empty shell.

She appeared suddenly on the other side of the troll, seemingly out of nowhere - and with a flash of her dagger, she went for the giant's thigh from below. The upper leg was host to a high concentration of veins and arteries, and the blade of her kukri was fashioned specifically to cause heavy bleeding. It tore apart the flesh along the gash, instead of causing a deep wound. By ripping apart the right arteries, she could cause a lethal blow at the limbs, even if the troll was too tall for her to accurately strike its vital organs.

A quick death was much preferred to a slow one, especially with trolls involved. But she could rely on her compatriots to finish the job - all she had to do was seal his fate.

[spoiler]Bran moves Up, Up-Right, uses Bane (Trolls) [1/5] as a swift action, and attacks with bonuses from bane, invisibility, and flanking

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+14 : 9 + 14, total 23[/blockquote] vs Flatfooted AC
[blockquote]Rolled 1d4+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote] Slashing damage
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7[/blockquote] Bane damage
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote] Precision damage
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote] Acid damage

She then uses a missed turn. Her Bane persists [2/5] and she pronounces Judgement (Protection), granting her a +2 Profane bonus to AC in addition to her Combat Expertise (Total 22). She is no longer invisible.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 17 + 12, total 29[/blockquote] vs AC
[blockquote]Rolled 1d4+3 : 4 + 3, total 7[/blockquote] Slashing damage
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 1, total 4[/blockquote] Bane damage
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote] Precision damage
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote] Acid damage[/spoiler]

Bootman

Chadra watched as Kin took the first hits. She steeled herself and readied to begin the battle. Silently, she charged forward towards the monster,  vast blade at the ready. Right before she reached Tzane, she jumped on the wall nearby, then again off the crumbling stone, sending her up to eye level with the Troll before the woman brought the Jovar down with all the force she could muster.

[spoiler]
Blood in the Water activated. Charging Tzane

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 3 + 10, total 13[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+11 : 5, 2 + 11, total 18[/blockquote]

[/spoiler]

Throndir

The ogre was caught by surprise at the sudden ambush on its back. In a few seconds, both Kin and Branwen unleashed a devastating amount of damage, and though the Trolls' wound were regernating, the creature already looked battered.

"Tzane not going down without fight!" It roared as it aimed for Kin, intent on slaying its first victim. The first claw raked into Kin, but Kin just barely managed to dodge the second, even with the help of his sword to attempt to parry the blow, he only dodged the second claw with a few centimeters to spare. The dodge was enough however, as the troll lunged in with its teeth, Kin managed to step away.

[spoiler]
Round 4 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Jornathel, Elys, Branwen
Round 5 begins.
Kin: Attacks and deals 10 non-lethal damage.
Elys: Misses.
Branwen: Deals 16 non lethal, 2 lethal. Free: Deals 15 non lethal, 5 lethal
Chadra: Sets stance to Blood in the Water, misses.
Troll: Full attacks and deals 7.
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 4 in progress - Still to move: Jornathel

Missed Turns
Branwen: .5
Elys: 1.5
Jornathel: 1

Non-Lethal Damage Dealt
Troll: 36

Lethal Damage Dealt
Troll: 7

Branwen
Expeditious Retreat

Jornathel
Mage Armor

Party HP
All: Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 26 rounds)
Chadra: 37/37, Blood in the Water (+0 atk, +0 dmg, 60 rounds)
Kin: 23/30, Defensive fighting (-4 atk +2 AC), small stature (+1 AC vs Large)
Branwen: 18/18,  Invisibility (46 rounds), Expeditious Retreat (49 rounds), Bane (2/5)

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

Jorn?s mind was disjointed with memories from his past filling the silence. It was an eerie feeling to crawl into the blank spaces within his mind. The moments passed were seconds to those around him, but for the elf it was years flying passed. The sound of gun fire brought his world back into perspective. With that he moved into action.

[spoiler]Move: SE, E, E, E, E[/spoiler]

The young elf wasted no more time, pushing aside dusty memories, he reached into the Arcane web surrounding him, weaving and gathering the magical forces to his beck and call. Each waving of the hand, each soft syllable was another elaborate draw of magical power.

[spoiler]Casting Magic Missile

[blockquote]Rolled 2d4+2 : 4, 2 + 2, total 8[/blockquote]

Missed Turn

Casting Magic Missile

[blockquote]Rolled 2d4+2 : 3, 1 + 2, total 6[/blockquote]

(Man I need more spells haha)
[/spoiler]

Throndir

As the magical missiles hit Tzane, the creature rushed in again with his claws at the halfling. This time, Kin wasn't as lucky, as the trolls claws dug into Kin's flesh, shearing through his armor, and biting deep. To Kin's credit, he still had enough wits on him to dodge the next coming attack, but it was easy to tell that the halfling was already severely wounded as blood poured from the gashes on his armor.

The troll smiled sickeningly.

"Half-food looks good."

[spoiler]
Round 4 ends, Kin forces next round, missed turns: Jornathel, Elys, Branwen
Round 5 begins.
Kin: Attacks and deals 10 non-lethal damage.
Elys: Misses.
Branwen: Deals 16 non lethal, 2 lethal. Free: Deals 15 non lethal, 5 lethal
Chadra: Sets stance to Blood in the Water, misses.
Troll: Full attacks and deals 7.
Jorn: Casts Magic missile deals 8, Free: casts magic missile deals 6.
Round 5 ends.
Round 6 begins.
Auto: Tzane regenerates 5 non-lethal dmg. Durations go down.
Tzane: Attacks and deals 19 dmg to Kin.
[/spoiler]

Stats:
[spoiler]
QuoteRound 6 in progress - Still to move: Branwen, Chadra, Elys, Jornathel

Missed Turns
Branwen: .5
Elys: 1.5
Jornathel: 1

Non-Lethal Damage Dealt
Troll: 45

Lethal Damage Dealt
Troll: 7

Branwen
Expeditious Retreat

Jornathel
Mage Armor

Party HP
All: Bless (+1 atk, +1 vs fear, 25 rounds)
Chadra: 37/37, Blood in the Water (+0 atk, +0 dmg, 59 rounds)
Kin: 4/30, Defensive fighting (-4 atk +2 AC), small stature (+1 AC vs Large)
Branwen: 18/18,  Invisibility (45 rounds), Expeditious Retreat (48 rounds), Bane (2/5)

Area Effects
Dark (caverns)
[/spoiler]

Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Branwen's brow furrowed. She didn't quite mind Kin being close to death, but it was far too early in the battle. Ideally, Tzane and Kin would die at the same time...Kin dying first just made it more troublesome for the rest of them.

"Perhaps I should retract my previous compliment." Branwen stated coldly, her quiet voice carrying over the giant's roaring swings. "I thought you better than this, Kin Sheel. Is a greenskin too much for you?"

Her acid singed and burned its skin, but it still didn't falter no matter how many times it was cut. She had to give the brute credit for its standing power. For a brief moment, she considered attempting to tame it and use it as Kin's replacement...

But that would be too much trouble. She resolved to simply kill the thing instead.

[spoiler]Another flanking bane judgement slashing acid precision combat expertise kukri attack

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 9 + 12, total 21[/blockquote] vs AC

Slashing:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d4+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote]
Bane:
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 6, 4, total 10[/blockquote]
Precision:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]
Acid:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Afterwards, Branwen takes a 5 foot step south.[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Kin promptly coughed up blood with the hit. He had been sure he'd gotten out of the way of that one, but the troll had a better reflex than he expected. Or reach. Probably reach. He ducked and rolled away from the second attack, barely able to get back on his feet smoothly. Branwen's comment didn't help the feeling in his gut. Well, whatever was still whole in his gut. "Shut it, Bran-Bran. And keep attacking. Your strikes are the only ones that seem to remain. Hit it harder, wimp-" He staggers a second, coughing a bit more. Damn, I wanted to at least taunt her, too...I am NOT getting hit again."

Kin immediately drops into a full guard once more, yelling with a coarse voice, "That all you can do, you giant turd!? Your mother could hit harder. No, even your GRANDMOTHER could!"

[spoiler]
So, getting that text at work about Kin nearly dying made me sad...and scared the crap out of me. Almost a one-shot o.o

Drops into total defense: AC 24 (26 if we're counting Kin at his lv 3 status, due to tumble synergy with 5 ranks)

Bran-Bran, hit harder next time :P[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_