[IC] Tinderbox

Started by Throndir, October 18, 2014, 02:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zultar

Zultar laughs at Kin's blunder.

"HAHAHAHA. How do you like my helmet?"

Linwelin

Kin groans a moment before shooting back, "Probably about as much as you enjoyed eating that dirt, goblin...And at least I managed to achieve my goal. You couldn't even grab me." All of this is said with Kin his back, trying his best not to put any muscle movement toward his groin area. He didn't always succeed at this as more groans were heard before he finally got to his feet. He seemed surprisingly stable.

"And I heard that, old timer. Remember, ya asked for it. Oh, wait, no ya didn't. Ya TOLD us to do it. So deal with it. Ya ain't doomed, but yer certainly on our good graces." He shouted out with a harumph, patting himself down to clean off the dirt. Walking up to the Wintergreen and company, Kin finally took a more serious tone. "So, what's causing trouble besides our actions just now?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Alti

Tatyanna deftly skirted around the 'short' brawl to catch up closer to Wintergreen, who was muttering under his breath. She walked closely to his side, and intended to interrogate him further about the party being considered such things as "Saviors", and his underhanded comment about being the "Doom" of them all. She glance side-long at the man a good while, before making a move to say anything. Her fingers idly played with the buckle on a small pouch at her waist as the moved through the city. She glanced about making notice of the happenings around her as they passed through. Before long, she spoke.

"Oh, pay Kin no mind good sir Wintergreen" she started casting her gaze back to the man,"he always speaks out like that. He's a good enough fellow. What was the meaning of the clerks entry into the registry about our party being saviors? As you might know we haven't committed yet to offering our services. The road has been long, we are tired and hungry from traveling. I trust you have appropriate accommodations for such supposed saviors?"

She teased at the belt pouch even more as they walked waiting for the mans response. Tatyanna was getting restless, she would need to consult the cards for a fate harrowing very soon, nothing could be settled in her mind until she had some privacy. To her short mental list, she added, a scalding bath with scented soaps and a very large glass of wine.

Mysticsage

Grey watched the display with a quirked eyebrow still slightly taken aback by the absurd nature of the two shorter men. Was this really the legendary guild that everyone spoke of in this region? Now he was not so sure if tagging along like this was such a good idea. But, there was no turning back now. Looking down at the crest now pinned to him he could still feel the hands of the woman on his body. She seemed capable enough with that little trick though he could swear she had gone above and beyond what was needed. Feeling up his muscles in a way some might consider rather forward in this time.

Right now however, he felt that staying with her was the best option. Moving to fall in step along side her he felt in his pants pocket for the telltale sensation of a crumpled letter. Were these the people his friend was now living with? They would fit his style after all, but he would have to ask question later.

At the mention of accommodations he snaps out of his thoughts, "We will also need a place for my wagon and horses i was charged with getting a number of goods for a merchant from a foreign supplier before we met up her, and we'll need a place to store them." He glances over at Tatyanna with the hopes that she would help in his lie since she intervened last time.
[spoiler]anyone feel free to roll perception to see the piece of dried forget me not sticking out of his pocket[/spoiler]

Throndir

QuoteGrey to roll a bluff check as the primary character starting the bluff. Other bluff checks will be treated as Aid Another.

Mysticsage

[spoiler=bluff check][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 18 + 8, total 26[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Alti

Tatyanna eyed Grey as he caught up, she thought she had caught the man coming from the line of merchants and this recent statement had confirmed her suspicions for the most part she couldn?t be sure yet. But as far a she knew no guild mate ever would remove the crest for any reason especially when traveling. It was a proud sign of membership, an honor and it was something to show off. No matter the outcome.  She thought her little aside with him caused him to look a little peaked. She hadn?t meant to set the man out of sorts, but if he wanted to play the adventurer, she would vouch for him as long doing such a thing benefited her. After all, fate has destined that she would be here today, no matter what she had to do, or what came her way. The proof was plain, Kin was here with other guild members. The wheels of fate didn?t spin idly where she was involved.

[spoiler=Did she notice the forget-me-not?] [blockquote]Perception: Was there something she overlooked?  1d20+10 : 12 + 10, total 22[/blockquote] [/spoiler]

[spoiler=?is there something more here?][blockquote]Sense Motive: Was Grey playing at something? 1d20+8 : 12 + 8, total 20[/blockquote][/spoiler]

She slowly nodded her head while Grey was speaking up about his wagon. ?Indeed, I?m very surprised that you managed to keep that cart in check, what with all the other merchants crowding in.?

[spoiler=Eh, what the hell, roll with it.][blockquote]'{Bluff: If he feels like lying, I?ll go with it.}' is not a valid dice string![/blockquote][/spoiler]

She thought to herself, ?This should be interesting. What could he have up his sleeve?? As for now, she was intrigued.

Alti

[spoiler][blockquote]Bluff correction 1d20+11 : 1 + 11, total 12[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

5:05 PM

Listening carefully to both Grey's and Tatyanna's requests, the larger man simply nodded in agreement, having no real doubts with Grey's story. Though, when Tatyanna spoke, Wintergreen raised an eyebrow and looked straight at the exotic lady. It looked as if he was going to say something, but thinking better, instead continued on.

"Being a trade-town as well, we have an inn and lodging, with a stable parked next to it." He said. "As for the clerk, she may have been too excited at the prospect of a famed guild such as yours in the area. You say she wrote it in the registration ledger? I suppose that job does get full after sometime... Either way, she and I share some fears." At this point you realized that you were now at the town square. The large statue you had seen earlier was the most prominent feature of the area.

[spoiler=Zultar]You notice at the square that there were more than a couple people staring strangely at you, even some a bit more guarded as your group had neared. This was a frontier town after all, and besides many humans, and the occational other 'goodly' races, you see no other more exotic people. You perhaps were the only orc in town.[/spoiler]

"Look around us" Wintergreen said as he waved his hand around them. "What do you see?" He paused for a moment, making sure he had each of the guild member's attention.

"I'll tell you what I see. Lots of wood. And though this has made the construction and repair of our town a lot more manageable, it's a disaster in the making. One large, uncontrolled blaze could reduce the community to ashes. We only faced that possibility once before two years ago when an arsonist by the name of Lantes Goran nearly burned the entire town to its foundations. I believe he was hired by one particularly vengeful merchant who died shortly after we captured Goran. Since then he's been in a prison cell."

The large man cleared his throat.

"He escaped last night, killing two of our watchmen, and injuring one in the process. I warned our burgomaster, Burgomaster Ranulf, but he assumed that Goran fled the town. I only wish that were true." Wintergreen pulled out a crumpled from the folds of his coat.

"This note was found tied to the statue in the center of Powderkeg." He motioned towards the large statue at the center of the square on top of a fountain.

"We're not sure what Lantes Goran wants, nor can we decipher the note he left us behind. Can you make sense of it?" With that, he presented the note to the group.

QuoteI'll let Mystic handle the social skill checks made vs his char.

Powderkeg Map
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

[spoiler]Rolling that perception while I think of how to tackle this riddle...lol.
[blockquote]Forget-me-what?:  1d20+12 : 11 + 12, total 23[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

"This Lantes likes the spotlight does he?"
said Grey with a laugh, "Well if he's wiling to give us a method of stopping him so easily it would be rude to not except this little puzzle." He looked over the clues left behind by this arsonist trying to think of possible solutions. He had some ideas as to what the meaning behind the riddle was, but for the moment it was better to play it safe and make sure he was on the right path.

"I suppose the easiest place to start would be with gathering information. We need to act fast however, because it seems like if we don't act before the sun goes down he'll start lighting things ablaze. So, is there a town architect or somewhere that all the city plans are kept? If these clues are pointing to what I think they are he's picked specific buildings that relate to these clues to burn. If our lady here could talk things over with such a figure within the hour that would be a place to start. 

From there if you could tell us about the history behind the town that would also be a great help. Specifically, things like what buildings are used most in the town and which ones that he first targeted when he was free."
b]

---
Kin is the only one who seems to notice the flower that almost falls out of Grey's pocket before it disappears again. The halfling would most likely recognize that flower from the event when serena first appeared. It was after all only those two who tended to deal with them in regards to the guild. If he was a guild member perhaps this grey was connected with their group somehow...

Linwelin

""Ah-" Kin started, but the flower was pulled away. He decided not to pursue just yet, especially due to the people the man must be involved with. Carrying the same flower and trying to bluff his way into things; who else could he be acquainted with if not Kryas? And because of that fact, Kin did not confront him. They already had enough trouble, and bringing up a certain eccentric bard wouldn't help. Kin would peg him for it later.

"As for that riddle...well, obviously, the first line refers to night. I think everyone got that one. The remaining hints...may be referring to past events? Ya said he was an arsonist, so maybe these point to past locations he'd burned, or at least tried to burn? Kin may not be the best at speaking WITH people, but he could certainly think aloud and speak AT them. Still, seeing the normally impulsive and battle-thirsty halfling actually being thoughtful came as a surprise. Kin looked around for confirmation, only to meet the strange gazes of those around him. "W-What? What's with those stares- oh. Come on, now, I'm not an idiot!" He exclaimed, realizing that maybe people probably thought he was just the meat-shield for the group after his recent 'scuffle'.

"Anyways, tell us a bit about this criminal. The more we know about him and the town, the better."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Zultar

"THE WAREHOUSE. It must be this place! Because -

MEAT. Warehouse where?"

Throndir

QuoteRecovering from forum alert emails. If you have them, please modify this post, or repost. Sorry again!

Alti
She turned her nose up slightly. "Perhaps there was more to this man, Grey, than I thought". She pondered momentarily to herself while processing the information that Wintergreen was offering. He was emboldened by the cover story. And look here he was already leading off with his thoughts on the investigation. She did not know the man at all and had a hard time reading him. She let a slight grin as he gave back the lead in the next breath.

She looked over the note quickly listening to Grey, Kin, and Zultar's explanation, she was forming a vastly different scenario in her mind. Was she over thinking the intelligence of this Lantes?

She nodded in time with Kin's statement, looking for more knowledge of the arsonist.

"I agree with Kin," she paused for a moment, "we need to know more about the man we are dealing with. It seems that he wants a game, and what revenge is he speaking of? If its a game men then he must think himself wittier than his would be pursuants. Which leads me to deeper meaning behind his seemingly tactless "hints".

She fingered the worn brass buckle securing the card pouch. One might assume that she does it while she is thinking, or waiting impatiently. Well if this was the way of it, then she would be hard pressed to get free of her travel robes for now, under the constraint of time. At least they could sit somewhere and gather thoughts.

"Your wagon and horses need tending" she turned to Grey, and then to Kin "and I suppose that we'll need a map. I have a feeling Kin might be onto something."

She wondered if they were under any sign in the sky, this time of year.

Linwelin

Doing rolls before RP so I know whether or not I can remember anything
Knowledge (Local):  1d20+5 : 6 + 5, total 11

Knowledge (History):  1d20+5 : 13 + 5, total 18

Throndir

5:10 PM

QuotePost about:

• Goran using riddles as misdirection.
  • Wintergreen believing the threat to be real.
  • The mention of the magical fire wagon the town had bought.
  • Wintergreen leading the group eastwards to the fire wagon.
  • Goran was caught before his fire could blaze.

Linwelin

Kin was nodding along with the answers as Wintergreen spoke, "Misdirection, is it? It would make sense, he's smart from what I remember of him, even though he's damned crazy. But at the same time, he was prideful, with your town being the only one able to capture him. He may be trying to regain that pride by outwitting you in a straight-up riddle. As a sign of both hatred and respect. I can sympathize...sort of." The halfling was about to start sorting through the clues once more until Wintergreen said something that disappoint Kin.

"We're gonna ignore the riddle!? And ride around on a giant magical do-hicky to get the fires as they fire up? I...don't like that. But I guess I'll see the darn thing regardless. Still, what happens if all the fires set off at the same time? We can't be that all of them simultaneously!" Kin was frustrated by this development as he followed the official to their 'firehouse'. "Also, all I really know is that Lantes is an infamous arsonist. How does he start the fires? Magic? Alchemy? Basic fuel and sparks?"

Waiting for his answers, Kin started piecing together the riddle mentally. It would be at night, and using the 'stars' as a hint along with 'five points' would maybe mean...they form the shape of a star? It would explain the last line, as there's no 'only place left' unless he's going to set to whole town on fire first...But the rest are a complete mystery.

"Gah, I need to know more about this guy's history in this town..." Kin growled to himself, scratching his head in frustration. He didn't enjoy riddle solving. He was adequate at it, but it wasn't his thing. However, Kin disliked a whole town going up in flames more, so he'd wrack his brain as much as he needed to to keep this from happening. "If we get this, I damn well better get the best bed and drink this town has to offer...!" He grunts flippantly.

Throndir

QuoteDue to forum crash, I'm just paraphrasing the main points of this DM post:

• Wintergreen confirming that Goran can start a fire by conventional means, but won't surprise him if he had magical means as well.
  • If all fires are set off at the same time, WIntergreen paused and just mentioned "Pray it doesn't come to that."

"If you prevent Goran's fire, we'll give you more than the best bed and drink the town has to offer." Wintergreen said.

QuoteI'll be forcing the RP along this evening.