[Interest Check] Isekai RP

Started by Throndir, July 20, 2018, 02:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Hey guys!

Magical Maids was a bust! But let's see if we can get people for an Isekai-genre one.

Isekai (Japanese: 異世界) (lit. "different world") is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy light novels, manga, anime, and video games revolving around a normal person being transported to or trapped in a parallel universe. Often, this universe already exists in the protagonist's world as a fictional universe, but it may also be unbeknownst to them. The new universe can either be a virtual world, such as in Sword Art Online, or an entirely different world where only the protagonist has any memory of their former life, as in Saga of Tanya the Evil. It may also be both at the same time, such as in Log Horizon and Overlord, where a formerly virtual world turns into a real one.

For more information, check out the wikipedia article.

Setting
Like most Isekai genre stories, the setting will be fantasy. Expect magic, dragons, monsters, elves, and demihumans! This will specifically be more akin to the Japanese fantasy settings than the Western setting, so there are more unique differences between the two. Because of the fact that this is an Isekai story, I'll go ahead and put in most of the tropes associated with the genre. Demon lords, priests, gods, other nations etc.

Mechanics
As much as freeform roleplaying would work fine for this, I think I've fallen in love with the idea of randomness, experience, leveling up, and getting stronger. The ruleset will be a -heavily modified- light d20 system. I will probably be using Pathfinder as a base, but will be very lax in a lot of rules, and making things up on the spot for the mechanics of some of the weird and over-powered abilities Isekai heroes usually have. I will also likely borrow random rulings from other systems. My goal for mechanics is to have a general order of things, along with progression, and D&D is something most of us here are familiar with.

That said, I will not be using our Pathfinder sheet that we've made, I'm actually planning to strip most of everything from the ruleset, and plugging in my own things.

Party Setup
I will be creating a lot of NPCs for this RP. Though, the majority of main NPC characters will be female of course! Hilarity will ensue! That said, the players themselves do not need to 'team' up with each other if they don't feel the need to. The starting location of each of our players aren't necessarily at the same place as well.

Randomness & Random Character Generation
Your main character's abilities, people they meet, where they are summoned, events that appear around them will be random. I plan to be creating a bunch of roll tables for these, and will be using randomness as a key thing to have events happen in the story. That said, I do also plan to have a timeline of events that will occur as the RP goes on, Culminating into... well, no spoilers. But suffice to say, if the NPCs of the New World are left to their own devices, they probably will meet a cruel end.

Along with the set timeline events however, if I feel something would be more interesting for a particular player at any time, I'll go ahead and proceed with that. But for you as the player, just assume everything is random.

Descriptive Words of RP: Light-hearted, fun, comedy, romance, over-powered, epic moments, open world, self-motivated goals

Interested?
Go ahead and reply on here. At the very least I know Ella, Linwelin, Mysticsage, and Oath are interested in this. But post anyways just to confirm you've read this! Then proceed on thinking about your character. The character sheet that will be used is below! Please fill it out when you have a chance. This is your character as they are in their original world.

Character Sheet for Origin World
Link to character template for new players.

Start Date
I have a ton of preparation work to do for this roleplay, more so than other ones, as it's very much open-world, with a key thing being random events. Meaning I need to flesh out the setting, events, characters, etc, well enough until I can start it. Not to mention the fact I'm ripping apart the Pathfinder ruleset and plugging in my own. I would say a minimum of mid-August. Forum roleplays go slow enough that I can probably focus on the earlier parts.

Mysticsage

pringerbeam

Zultar

Throndir

Alright guys, here's a link to the character section. Post using the character template above with your characters! You can make more than one if you wish, though I will work with you to decide which one is better. Only until after you've decided on 1 character will I start generating the random things I need.

Click here!

Hasabushi

Oooo so interested but just don't have any time :(

Throndir

It can go at your own pace Has! The groups will be split for the most part anyways, unless players want to team up specifically. Hopefully when the story starts to ramp up, players can be active enough to participate in it all. But either way, I think you should try it!

It's totally different from the regular RPs we've been doing on the forums.

Hasabushi

I will definitely considered it :D

Linwelin

I'm in, obviously. I'll write up the character now.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

For the time being sign ups are closed. I have enough to handle now lol. If you're interested to be in the game, the only options that are still free is being a party member for any of the existing heroes. You'll need to work with me so I can bring that character in, and the existing player for that hero needs to be okay with it as well.