[Jean] Chapter 2: Something Old

Started by Throndir, August 09, 2018, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Jean paused before picking up the next crest.  "Um... Do you hear that?"

Throndir

"Umm... no?" Eloise replied furrowing her brows.

The slime girl however perked up. She seemed to shiver, then she sped towards you, once at your feet, she transformed herself back into a puddle form.

QuoteYou can roll another perception, DC 13. DC 18 or more I'll give you more info on it. You can go ahead and start doing other actions too if needed.

pringerbeam

Jean's stomach dropped out from under him.  "Shit!  I think we're out of time!  Come on!"  Jean dashed over to Eloise, giving her the crests in his hand.  "I'm sorry but we have to go.  We have to leave the remaining crests."  He put his hand on her shoulder and turned her to look the direction of the noise.  "Something is coming from there.  I don't know what it is but if its anything as bad as the last demon things are about to go ass up.  I don't think I have the mana to do what I did last time."

[info]Perception[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 20 + 4, total 24[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[info]Perception: 24

Sounds
It sounded strange. The sounds itself was like a multitude of sounds being put into one. First, there was a shrill crystal-like tingling sound, and after that, a sharp thudding noise, that seemed to be piercing something. Not only that, it seems like the sounds were quickly one after the other at short intervals, as if it was being doing in quick succession. One thing for sure though, the sound, though faint, was getting stronger by the second. It was coming from the fields, where the trees were sparse. If you were to guess, whatever it was, it would be here soon.

Forests
There is the start of a forest where the horses are tied to. It begins relatively sparse, though it starts to thicken further in.

Entrance to Catacomb
You see an entrance going underground, where all the ruins were. Presumably this was the same entrance that Eloise had first fled into, before making her way towards the summoning circle.

Fields
12 bodies lay here, scattered about. There were some with bruises on them, as if something had them hard. But there were a couple with the large piercing gash, that each of the horses had. Much of the ground has been displaced as well, though in differing intervals.

Bodies and Loot
Apart from the saddlebags, there were a couple of other bags as well. Earlier when you had gone through to throw cloth at the slime girl, they had all manner of various adventuring gear, some carried precious gems or coins in the bags too.[/info]
At that moment you felt something slimy grab hold of your leg.

"Run... Food... Giver! Big metal... thing!" The slime plopped noises.

QuoteThe thing arrives in 6 more rounds (36 seconds).

pringerbeam

"Which of these are yours?"  Jean asks Eloise as he runs over to the dead horses.  Taking the saddle bags off of her horse, he stuffs the book in and slings them over his shoulder.  "Come on."  Jean grabs Eloise by the wrist and begins to pull her away from the sound, heading for the forest in hopes of losing their foe in the trees.

Throndir

Eloise was brought along, with the slime creature following behind you.

Running towards the tree line, you manage to enter the forest themselves. Further in, the trees looked like they get thicker, however, as it was night time, visibility was getting poorer as well. The forest looked very much like a temperate forest.

QuoteThe thing arrives in 5 more rounds (30 seconds).

pringerbeam

Jean runs with Eloise into the woods.  He could still hear the approaching sounds.  "Shit, we need to go faster...  How much mana do I have?  Status!"  Jean looked over his shoulder through the trees to see if the thing was visible yet.  "Eloise, I don't suppose you know any magic that will get us out of here?"

Throndir

[okay]Jean Valois
Demon Slayer
Level 23

Condition: Healthy

HP: 72/72
MP: 4/47
STR: 18 +
DEX: 18 +
CON: 30 +
INT: 17 +
WIS: 10 +
CHA: 8 +
MAG: 21 +

Blessings: Quick Learner, Mana Sensitivity, Translate All, Personal Status, Weight Control, Summon Tentacle

You have 2 unspent ability points.[/okay]
"Nothing that convenient! I'm nearly out of mana myself!"

At that moment, you notice the slime creature that was trailing you change shape back to a humanoid one. She seemed to slow down her running however, lagging behind the two of you.

She stopped running then, a gentle smile on her strangely calm face.

"Keep running... Food... Giver."

QuoteThe thing arrives in 4 more rounds (24 seconds).

Rough Status
Eloise: Uninjured, Drowsy
Jean: Uninjured, Sleepy
Slime Girl: Uninjured, Refreshed
[include u=2]MP Jean: -43[/include]

pringerbeam

"Okay, thanks... you..."  Jean continued to run with Eloise but it was barely a few seconds later before he stopped and turned around.  "Wait!"  He went back to the slime girl.  "You two go, head for the academy.  I'll delay it and redirect it away.  I can move faster on my own with my powers and should be able to lose it, maybe doubling back to the catacombs to lose it in the tunnels to gain the time I need to shake it.  I have plenty of magic left to protect myself if I'm not trying to fight this thing straight up.  This is the best course of action to get all of us out of here alive."  Jean pushed Eloise and the slime girl together.  "Now hurry up and go.  Every second we waste talking here is time that we need to make this work.  I shouldn't have any trouble finding the academy if it's as big as you say it is so I'll find you there."  He gave them a gentle shove to set them on their way.  He then waved his farewell and turned to run towards the sound.  Jean was lying.

[info]Not sure if you want a Bluff check of not but I'm throwing one out.  It's a thinly veiled attempt at putting Eloise at ease if that counts for anything.

Bluff[blockquote]Rolled 1d20-1 : 20 - 1, total 19[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[info]Public roll, since this is an intense moment. The bluff itself will have a -5 for being Unbelievable. But not quite far-fetched in Eloise's eyes, as you are the hero.
[blockquote]Eloise Sense Motive 1d20-1 : 19 - 1, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Initiative[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 20 + 4, total 24[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[info][blockquote]Slime Girl Initiative 1d20+6 : 12 + 6, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Eloise Initiative 1d20+2 : 10 + 2, total 12[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[okay]Heroic Action Point Gained[/okay]
"Don't lie Jean! I can hear it now too, whatever it is. It's big... Those guards and other mages with me... Each of them were strong in their own right, it's why... it's why I thought that they might still be okay even when they told me to flee and activate the summoning ritual. If something killed them... Jean... Please." She grabbed your hand then, stepping closer towards you as the both of you could hear the sounds of the heavy steps in quick succession.

"We only just met... I can't... lose you." She was blushing as she said this, but she kept her eyes locked on you as if to show her resolve.

"Run... Food Giver... and Snack" At that moment, the slime girl's tentacles began coiling, you realized her targets were both you and Eloise.

"Please."

pringerbeam

"Look Eloise, I'm already dead.  I'm not a hero.  I didn't just come from my old world to this one.  I killed myself to spite someone.  This is my chance to redeem myself.  Maybe that's what brought me here.  One last chance...  And you..."  Jean looks at the slime girl.  "I still don't know what your deal is, but you can't die here either.  Eloise will need your help.  You have some nifty powers, powers that she will need.  I'm just some guy.  She'll need you to show the way..."  There was that feeling again.  Something was missing...  Something Important.  Why?  What am I missing?  "Look, I ran a lot in my life.  I never faced confrontation.  I only ever ran from it until one time and that got me here.  So this is it.  My time to stop running.  I ran and ran and it failed me.  I can't keep running."

[info]Diplomacy[blockquote]Rolled 1d20-1 : 20 - 1, total 19[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

The slime girl lowered the tentacles when she heard your words.

Eloise eyes were a mix of confusion, sadness, and regret. She wanted to put up a fight, to stand by your side, and to face whatever thing was coming at the three of you. However, she saw the resolve in your eyes as well, and she couldn't help but give in to the strength of your desire to protect both her and the slime creature, who, even if Eloise didn't want to admit, had become something of an ally. She wanted to face the upcoming conflict with you, and every fiber in her being wanted to do just that.

"Look Jean..." She began. "I was brought here to summon you, even though the whole thing was hectic from start to... now. I want to stay here, and to fight with you... I'm near my limit, but I can still fight... But I know what you'll say... So I'll go, okay?" She bit her lower lip. A moment later she patted both of her cheeks with both of her hands, but she kept her eyes on you.

"I do that when I'm nervous or when I'm about to do something..."

[spoiler]
"Brave."
[/spoiler]