[Variant Rule] Max Damage Die Crits

Started by Throndir, May 31, 2016, 12:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should we handle the currently implemented crit house rule? (max crit damage on second die)

Remove the house ruling altogether, just do normal dice-rolling for each crit. (Example: x4 crit: Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll)
Have ONLY the second die be an automatic full damage, x3 or x4 or higher crit weapons will simply be rolled after the 2nd die.  (Example: x4 crit: Roll, Max, Roll, Roll)
Switch back and forth between automatic full damage to rolled damage (See Lance's suggestion below).  (Example: x4 crit: Roll, Max, Roll, Max)
Have all extra crit dice be max damage. (Eg, you only roll the dice once in an attack if you crit - the original damage dice you first had)  (Example: x4 crit: Roll, Max, Max, Max)

Throndir

Looking for input. I've been house-ruling max damage rolls for crits, for the second dice. Was a house rule Parks had, and thought it'd be neat. However, what do we do with x3, or x4 or higher weapons? Also should we still have the house rule? I'll leave it out for voting here.

Here's Lance's comment and suggestion:

QuotePerform the die rolls like so:

x1: Roll for damage.
   x2: Max damage.
   x3: Roll for damage.
   x4: Max damage.
   x5: Roll for damage.
   x6: Max damage.
   Etc.

For example, if you had a x3 weapon, you would roll for  damage twice and receive a max damage die once. Likewise, if you had a x4 weapon, you would roll for damage twice and receive a max damage roll twice.

At least, that's how I had envisioned it. Alternatively, we could just rule them all as max damage.

Linwelin

Personally, I've always seen it as only 1d of max damage, with the rest variable. Because the point is to guarantee that you get higher damage than a normal hit, you're already getting your damage modifiers doubled/tripled/quadrupled.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Ella

Why don't we play a game or two with each idea and see if we actually like the new ideas or if we should stick with the 1d of max.