[Fred] Chapter 1: An Audience with God

Started by Throndir, July 29, 2018, 02:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Date: Year 2010 - February 12th - 4:42 PM

You felt your body hit the jutting rocks, some of the sharper protrusions digging deeper into your skin, both removing feathers and drawing blood. You were still conscious when your body hit the cliffside at high speeds, but your vision already started to become blurred and cloudy. A moment after that you saw nothing, and you felt nothing.

Date: ???

You heard the sound of what seemed like water being poured into something. Alerted, you woke up from your sleep-like state.

Clouds and skies covered your immediate view. There was no sun that you could find, nor could you figure out where the light was coming from. Yet, everything was brightly lit. There was no horizon however, not that you could see anyways, even as you tried to look as far as you can. Only the immediate vicinity was lit up however, beyond that, it was dark.

The ground you stood on consisted of large plastic woven mats. Much like the ones you would normally see in the human towns. There was a low table as well on the center of the mat. And sitting at it looked to be an old man with a long but neatly trimmed beard and mustache. He had a receding hairline as well, with his pulled back behind him. The old man wore a traditional madiba shirt, colored in greens and yellows.

The sound that had woken you up the old man pouring tea into a cup. When the old man noticed you staring. He spoke up.

"Care for red rooibos tea?"

QuoteYou will find that your character can now speak.

Linwelin

The pure, boundless darkness made Fred a bit unsettled. He felt bare, as though he were open to all the elements that could threaten him. His intuition immediately had him looking for somewhere more comfortable. Luckily enough, there was a lit area right in front of him, with a seemingly-cordial old man to boot. Though people usually didn't like ravens in their homes, and seeing how the mats were spreading across the floor, this was definitely indoors. Well, it was maybe indoors. The entire situation felt off.

Quote"Care for red rooibos tea?"

Now Fred was suspicious. No one had ever welcomed him into their home. Maybe behind their home, but never inside. And being offered tea? Like a raven could drink tea.

Hold on...I can understand...!?

Now Fred was panicked. How could he understand human tongue? That man wasn't squawking and clicking like a raven, that's for sure.

"Who are you? How can I understand you? And how can I drink tea? I'm a bird! Hot drinks aren't exactly the norm." Fred continues cawing out answers as he hops forward into the light. "And where are we?"

He continues hopping forward a bit. "...I've always wanted to try that strange grassy drink humans drink..."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

The old man smiled. From behind the tea pot, the old man picked up a second cup. You swore you thought there was nothing there before. But without much further adieu, he began pouring the second cup slowly and deliberately. As he poured, he continued to talk.

"Ohohoh! Such an inquisitive bird you are. I've been called many names, but 'God' is the most fitting. How you can understand me? When in the presence of God, anything is possible. Would that be a sufficient answer?"

The pouring stopped, and God pushed the cup of tea further towards you, on your side of the table.

"Authentic rooibos tea. Believe me, I would know. Why don't you have a drink first? While it's still hot. Rooibos is best served hot after all. Worry not whether or not you can drink it. After all..."

He paused as he himself took a sip from his cup.

"When in the presence of God, anything is possible."

Linwelin

"'God'? That's a weird name. And that answer doesn't really say anything to me, but you're confident enough that I'll trust you." Fred yaps out before hopping up to the cup and dipping his beak in. "Ohhhhhh! This is pretty good! No wonder they always looked happy when they drank it." He raspily coos in appreciation.

Fred looks up from the tea cup"So why are you here? Why are WE here? You still haven't said where 'here' is, too." The questions keep streaming out in a cackle, only with breaks to drink more tea, which results is another slight coo before the cackling questions continue. "You keep saying all things are possible in your presence, but why's it so dark past a certain point? Is the light your presence, or can it go further? Who named you 'God' anyways? I still think it's a weird name."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

"Ohohoh, an interesting reaction. Rooibos is the kind of tea that takes... some getting used to. But once you do... The earthy flavor really does something."

The old man took another sip.

"Why, this is the after-life of course. And we are sitting here for a simple cup of tea."

"The light of my presence goes as far as I wish to wield it. But in truth, it is those that light the path that it is for. Try it my winged friend. Soar to the darkness beyond. Return back here when you've finished. As for my name..." The old man chuckled again.

"I am who I am. I am simply called 'God'."

Linwelin

"Well earthy tastes like this are something I'm used to- did you just say after life? Fred's chattering suddenly turned into a surprised squawk. "As in after being alive? Panic slowly sets in. "AM I DEAD!?" The dark around him, which Fred had thought to be some weird cave he'd fallen into, was now more frightening than unsettling.

How did I...?...!!!

The realization that he is, in fact, dead slowly dawns on Fred, with the entire scenario playing out in his memory. The goshawk appearing out of nowhere and tearing through his wing. Plummeting toward the jagged cliff face. He'd prepared for an impact and tried to steer clear of danger, but with only one good wing it had ended up impossible.

"...I'm dead..." The raven quiets, no longer interested in exploring the 'cave'. After a long moment, the bird looks to god, "I suppose my days of people watching and soaring through the skies are over, then? What now? I can't exactly ask to go back. I've seen what those goshawks do." Fred had a lost look in his eyes and stance, forlornly reminiscing over what he'd once had as his gaze fell back to the ground. Sure, death was normal. Maybe slightly less so for ravens, but not unheard of. Fred had never expected his own to be this sudden.

"I still never managed a conversation. Over 20 years trying to get past copying people, and nothing but a few words." He turned back to god with a look a frustration, "All for nothing! What good is that now!?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

As you talked, the old man continued to sip on his tea, nearly running out as he listened to you.

"You wish to speak with humans then? To understand them, and them understand you? It is true that many beings out there seek that. For recognition. For companionship."

He began pouring himself another cup.

"What if I told you, you can be given that chance again? To actually talk with a human. To actually have a conversation. For that recognition. For that companionship."

Linwelin

"Yes! More out of curiosity than a need for fellowship. They have such strange bodies, but accomplish marvelous things with them. Their nests got incredible sometimes. So tall and strong! How do they even DO that?" Fred gestures with his wings, making them as tall and wide as he can when he says this, then gets lost in thought, reminiscing on the many structures and creations he'd seen made by his favorite creatures.

Quote"What if I told you, you can be given that chance again? To actually talk with a human. To actually have a conversation. For that recognition. For that companionship."

Fred is caught off guard by God's statement, his feathers ruffling a little. "Huh!? I'd find that hard to believe. I mean, I'm a bird, and I'm dead. I think the closest I'll ever get is this conversation right now." Fred has a recognizing look in his eye, turning to God to make an aside comment. "Which is great, by the way. Never thought I'd realize my dream after my death." Fred then quickly switches back to his response, "But if, IF, that were possible, then I'd certainly take the opportunity. I'd need a bit more knowledge to have a proper conversation, like cultural knowledge and such. But if whoever's offering could get me into that situation in the first place, I'm sure they could bless me with that kind of knowledge, too, right? After all, I don't want my first conversation to be offensive or aggressive!" Fred then began clinking his beak within his own tea cup, miraculously drinking the refreshing tea. "So why the strange comment?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"The joys of conversation include learning new things. Cultural norms, current events, and figuring out what makes a person that kind of person. But not only that, things such as life and death, truth and lies, and what can be considered 'good' or 'evil'. All are things humans have an inkling of knowing when my first two children brought it upon the rest of their kind. It's both a burden and a blessing."

"It intrigues me that one such as yourself wishes to step into the world that are humans. You would like to talk with them, yes?"

"But there's a saying back in your own world. 'God helps those who helps themselves'. Have you heard of it? I will not be giving you all of those learning from the start, child of nature. Instead, I will give upon to you what makes mankind the way they are. The ability to differentiate between right and wrong and to think for themselves on what direction they choose in life. Then..."

He sipped on his tea as the light around him started to grow brighter and brighter.

"Help yourself, make your way through the world, and once you do, only then will I help you too."

QuoteYou can have one last response if you'd like, then I'm starting Chapter 2. Or let me know if you just want me to start it.

Linwelin

"You're talking like you're gonna-" Fred stops at the thought of some of God's words earlier on.

"When in the presence of God, anything is possible."

"...You can't mean that arrogant saying was the truth...? Right?" Fred cackles a little, "You're actually making me human!? So how's this gonna work? Am I going to be baby? Take someone else's body? Suddenly appear as a human my age? THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!

Fred starts flying around in circles, cawing the same phrase over and over loudly.

"I'M NOT GONNA BE DEAD!"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_