[IC] New Years Festival: Talent Show

Started by Throndir, December 19, 2013, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

12:30:00 PM - Noon

It was just passed high noon, the official start of the festival exactly thirty minutes ago when the trumpets had flared to life. Already the people of Ternadan had begun dispering, many of them went still eating food consisting of any of the regular festival fare. Many who ventured out to the other attractions and competitions. But many more people made their way to the talent show. It was a wide open theatre-like area, with plenty of bleachers, seats, and tables for the audience. Enough to fit a large crowd, and as the performers came up on stage, more were drawn.

There was more than a couple of would-be entertainers as they lined up, waiting for their chance to shine and perform for the various people of the city. Even as the first performers came and went, more and more people were gathering, clapping and booing for each performance, but for the most part thoroughly enjoying the continuous show and experience. The performers that were skilled brought upon plenty of cheers and roaring approval from the crowd. Those who at least had tried only met with mirth and laughter.

A few performers had came and went, and a short break was announced.

"More! More! More!" The crowd chanted. There were other guild members about and you wondered who would go up next.

• To participate, either roll a perform skill check, or roleplay it out.
  • If you choose to roleplay it out I'll make some rolls depending on what I think which skill/ability was used for the performance.
  • 200 exp for all who participate.
  • 1st place = +3 random enchanted weapon or item, and 10 New Years Competition points. +500 exp
  • 2nd place = +2 random enchanted weapon or item, and 8 New Years Competition points. +400 exp
  • 3rd place = +1 random enchanted weapon or item, and 6 New Years Competition points. +300 exp
  • Resolving after I have at least 5 characters. (Not players! So feel free to join with multiple characters).
  • All posts will be counted for freeform exp.

Mysticsage

Kryas stepped on stage next with his lute in hand. This was his first real performance since he came into town. All his time playing up till now was either in the guild hall or privately. Taking a deep breath he made sure to smile at the crowd trying his best to look at everyone and no one at the same time.Then he began to play simply at first only basic sound that then developed into an energetic melody. He planned to play something upbeat and captivating. The song he played was unique he had only wrote it a week before the event and it was something he had poured his heart into. It was a song that he hoped, as he began to add his voice to the sound, that would move the people and perhaps win him a few fans in the process. As he continued to play he also used his magic to add extra sound to the performance to add more depth.

[spoiler][dice]Rolled 1d20+14 : 18 + 14, total 32[/dice]

ghost sound: background instruments[/spoiler]

Throndir

Smiling wide as she clapped for Kryas, Annia was next in line. She clutched her hands holding a flute that Gael had given her. She was rethinking whether or not she should go up in the first place after a performance as impressive as Kryas. But Annia promised her young friend Gael that she'd practice on the flute, and though she was still far from being skilled at it, she would at least try playing.

As she pulled the flute, there were some questioning glances from the crowd, but Annia took a deep breath, and told herself she'd do it. Soon enough she started, filling the outdoor theater with the sound of her flute.

[spoiler=Close to turn off music]http://www.youtube.com/v/wD_TonSL5BA&autoplay=1
[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23[/dice][/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Serena?s Breath hitched as she stood in the wings waiting for her turn on stage. ?I don?t know how I let Kryas talk me into this,? she sighed. It had only been a few weeks since she the pair had been reconnected and she had awakened from her slumber. She still felt like this whole thing was a dream waiting at every moment to wake up all alone once again. Hearing the applause for the previous performance she rapped her arms around herself to try and stop her body from shaking like a leaf. She was not succeeding all that well at all.  She felt so fragile in that moment raw against the elements like a nerve. ?I wonder if Kryas felt this way when he first arrived here??

?Maybe? he said steading her with his own embrace. ?You don?t have to do this if you don?t feel up to this you know.?

?No I can do this! We?ve done bigger crowds then this before?.? She said her words falling to nothing more then a whisper at the end.

?You?ve got this, I have faith in you.?
He whispered, ?forget about everyone else out there just sing to me. I?ll be out there supporting you every step of the way.? Serena couldn?t help but relax slightly and half smile.

?Serena Lunaris it?s your turn on stage.?

?Knock um dead! I?ll be right where you can see me the entire time.?
[/b]

Pushing free Serena took another more steadied breath. ?See you on the other side she smiled her long hair whipping around her as she went. As she got on stage however she almost froze. So many people were staring at her expecting a level of performance as everyone else did. Kryas and the other guildmate Annia her name was set the bar so high. She started to hyperventilate losing control everything started to tunnel. People started to fidget awkwardly.  She started singing some song but it died in her throat as quickly as it began. It was almost impossible to hear

Kryas returned to his spot next to Annia at that point and saw that things were not going well at all. Her voice out did his most days by a mile and he knew once she started singing all her fear would melt away. ?I?ve got to get her to focus some how!? he mumbled biting his lip. ?Annia help me out! I?m going to play a song I need you to try your best to play along please!?

As people almost started to boo he played a rift on his lyre that followed along with her song hoping that Annia would follow suit. Serena?s and Kryas? eyes locked at the moment and then she closed her eyes and took a final deep breath before she began to sing.

[spoiler]Performance Check
[dice]Rolled 1d20+11 : 5 + 11, total 16[/dice]
http://www.youtube.com/v/F5ayOAYAUMY&autoplay=1
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Vladimir was blown away by the performances of his guildmates, though he had more-or-less expected as much from his roommate, Kryas. This, of course, unnerved the already timid methuselan. "Why, oh why, did I let that bard talk me into this...I wanted to keep this hobby a private matter..."

He felt a little better seeing Serena perform, only because he knew that there was support for if he began to fumble. And from what he saw and heard next, it seemed that support would be all he needed. Yet another stellar performance began, with music and song that touched his soul. His nerves calmed, and his eyes closed as he enjoyed the performance. And just like that, it was over; he couldn't help but applaud, though he could tell that her nerves had kept her from her best. It was still a fantastic performance.

But now, it was his turn. It had taken him a long time to figure out exactly how he would pull off his performance. Just being blunt with his skill would be no good; it would be flashy, but boring. Then he figured, why not combine ALL of his talents. So with that idea in mind he set out to gather materials to make things go smoothly and unexpectedly. His goal was to surprise, after all.

And now, he was here, with just his black cloak, and his normal equipment. While Serena's performance and exit wrapped up, some of the organizers brought out some wooden pillars and platforms as per Vladimir's instructions. There would be two raised platforms, one on either side of the stage. Each had four pillars supporting it, and those pillars stretched up above the platform to the point where one could lean against them. While all of this setup occurred, Vladimir climbed his way into the rafters, preparing for his entrance.

Once the audience started to quiet, obviously in wait of what this strange act could be, Vladimir instantly flung himself off the rafter, swinging and sliding down a rope to land center stage, between the platforms. With a swift, fluid motion, Vladimir bowed before the audience. Once upright again, he addressed the crowd. "I'm sure you're wondering what all of this is for. Well, unlike the previous performers, whose acts are REALLY hard to follow, I do not have much in the way of innate musical talent. However!" He holds up his hand asking for a pause in judgement, "My body is still an instrument of sorts. I have been blessed with being nimble, and well balanced; controlling my body's movement is my talent. And as for why this set, well...I'll show you that in a moment."

Vladimir honestly wasn't sure how he kept steady while speaking like that. It's not like he had stage-fright, but entertaining others was hardly the norm for him. This was...odd.

To steady himself once more, he bowed once more, pausing during the bow to focus, and then immediately breaks into a mixture of martial and elegant dancing. He had unsheathed his blades, and began fluidly moving them while he jumped, spun, arched and slide along the stage. All the while his cloak flourished and billowed behind him. There was no giant crowd of opponents on stage fighting him, but Vladimir's precise, efficient and evasive maneuvers could have easily fooled anyone. This was definitely a cold dance of death, but there was no question of its beauty.

It was then that Vladimir began to use the set. He ran between the two platforms and swiftly jumped up the pillars, landing squarely on top of one of them, spinning on his heel to level his blade at the audience. Then with a smirk he accelerated into a spin again and hopped over to the pillar on the next platform, swirling through the air like a shuriken with his blades extended. As soon as he landed on that next pillar, he continued the momentum of his spin to step off the pillar and onto the platform below, standing upright and giving a resounding stomp to suddenly stop his movement.

Feeling that he has done his job as a performer, Vladimir moved into the final portion of his act. He did a smooth flip off the platform, ducking into a roll upon hitting the ground. For effect, he begins to hit his blades together in rhythm as he spun and flourished, as though to count down the time of his routine. Faster and faster, he clashed his swords together, then suddenly he whipped his cloak off and up in front of him, so he was unable to be seen by the audience. At this exact moment, he flung himself backwards in a tumble and down through a trapdoor, disappearing completely.

[spoiler]
[dice]Hide:  1d20+10 : 10 + 10, total 20[/dice]
[dice]Tumble:  1d20+10 : 2 + 10, total 12[/dice]
[dice]Perform(Dance):  1d20+10 : 6 + 10, total 16[/dice][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Zultar

Zultar flexes his muscles.

[spoiler]
Perform:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20-1 : 6 - 1, total 5[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Zultar lifts huge rock above his head.

[spoiler]
Strength
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 13 + 5, total 18[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Fellow Rabbit

Gandin:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20-1 : 17 - 1, total 16[/blockquote]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in horuls Db Mt Lr Ts Fl Pd Es Rg Mt Ag Bk Ag Sb Au W Fr Og Ra Er voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Ella

Callista Fae

Other people might be nervous, but Callista Fae the faerie sure was not. She did not even have a nervous bone in her body... That she knew of. That is, not for this kind of situation. She was nervous around spiders, but that was because she was afraid they would thing she was food and eat her. Oh, and cats. But that was a different matter that had nothing to do with performing on stage.

The tiny being had just watched her fellow guild mates make their performances. "Go, Annia!" she cheered for her friend and roommate when it was her turn. The others were pretty good, but most were just music related or otherwise boring to the fae herself. Callista liked to keep things interesting. She liked to keep her audience involved, eagerly awaiting what she would do next. On the edge of their seats in excitement! Yes, her performance would certainly steal the show!

Finally, she was called to the stage. She was in her largest form, looking like a young child. She had used her invisibility magic to hide her wings, so as far as anyone who did not know her knew, she was just a human - maybe an elf if they ever saw her ears - girl... wearing a mushroom dress. Whoops. Hahahaha~ She had forgotten to get other clothes. Oh well!

"Greetings, mortal and immortal folk!" Callista called out with a bow. "Prepare your eyes for some exciting enchantments and magic!" Rising from her bow, the faerie started her first 'trick'. "Could you imagine how many applies you could put in a bag if you could just shrink them until you were ready to enjoy?" She pulled a regular-sized apple out and held it up for all to see what it was. "A regular old apple, right? But watch this!" Suddenly, the apple started to shrink until it was the size of an eyeball. "Here, catch!" She tossed it into the audience. She had originally meant to keep it and the others she had with her for later, but had just decided it would be really fun if she tossed them out into the audience and then made them all go back to normal size all at once. Imagine the looks on their faces as they felt the change rather than just saw it! The faerie girl pulled out several more apples, tossing them out as well. Once all her apples were gone and the audience had looked over the apples she had tossed out, she retracted her magic that made them so small and watched the expressions of amazement. Oh~ Yes~ And they were just getting started!

"Now imagine being able to use that one oneself!" She called out, bringing the attention back to herself. Once everyone's eyes were on her, she began the process of shrinking her body down. She wouldn't go to her preferred size just yet. Halfway there would do. She grinned at her audience. Human children were so amusing to watch when they were amazed. Without a word, she lifted herself off the stage, continuing to keep her wings hidden from others' eyes and making it look like she did not have control over her sudden weightlessness. "Uh-oh! I think I lost too much weight! Now I can't keep myself on the ground!" Just when some kids looked like they would rush up to help pull her back down, she revealed her finally. Her wings spread wide and she flew up a little ways to fly in a circle. "Just kidding~"

Circling a few more times, she shrunk her body down to her smallest and most preferred size. Once in her smallest form, Callista landed on the edge of the stage and bowed once more. "Thank you for the show~" She called before making her entire body invisible to her audience's eyes.

Ella

[spoiler][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 19 + 8, total 27[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

The crowd loved the performances. As each individual came up, the louder and louder each applause was. Kryas' song blew them away. Annia and Serena, their performances not as spectacular still drew some endearing fans. Vladimir's show of acrobatics was met with wild cheers. Only to be dimmed down when Zultar came up to flex his muscles. More than a couple wondered what in the world was the half-orc doing. They enjoyed whatever Gandin did, but the performance ended with a bang when Callista finished her magic show.

The winners were chosen with third place going to Annia. Second going to the fairy Callista. And first place going to Kryas with his amazing performance of music.

QuoteRewards:
Kryas: Bag of Holding Type II
Callista: Earth Elemental Gem (Summons a Large Earth Elemental, 1 time use, lasts 11 rounds)
Annia: Steadfast Gut-Stone (Prevents 10 damage if user is suffered a crit hit)

Closing thread in a few days.