[IC] Whistling Pass

Started by Manzokushi, November 24, 2012, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eireleen

"I walked fifteen feet away from you to do some light scouting. As, unless you have forgotten, we are expecting an ambush and have absolutely no idea what the terrain is. Excuse me for being competent." She replied, not backing down from Zallri's gaze. The longer she made eye contact, the more unnerving her black eyes became. "You have absolutely no knowledge of the capabilities of the bandits, except that they have a considerable home field advantage. I completely fail to see your justification for refusing to acknowledge that they pose any sort of threat. And then you say I have an ego because I pay attention to the fact that we might all die."

"But that is fine." She says, in the same tone. "If you will not heed my words, then I will allow the bandits to speak for me. Feel free to lead the party in whatever direction you wish." She states, moving past her towards the back of the group. "I will merely follow." She stood complacently behind the others, leaving Zallri at the head of the party. Branwen knew that her spell only emanated out to a couple dozen meters, at most, and not omnidirectionally. But she would spare her ally a lecture on her own magic. She would learn how unreliable it was from experience.

"I have died before. I have been down that road, and I know where it ends." She says coldly, her voice bearing an odd stillness. "Fear always has its place, centaur. You will learn that, if you are lucky."

Bootman

Kassadin groaned. Fighting with words was never interesting, and she wasn't one for these big speeches with big words. Even though she agreed more with the Centaur, the warrior felt equally annoyed with her. Her half-opened eyes eventually drifted away from the argument and to the sky, staring blankly through the sandstorm.  After Branwen finished talking, her mind fell from the clouds and back down to the earth with an incredible crash.

?Fear and death aren?t that simple.? Her voice was the same volume as ever, but her tone carried a low intensity to it. A simple flat statement that carried the force to move mountains.  Despite her powerful feelings, she merely walked away and sat cross-legged on the canyon wall, still within arms reach of her sword.

Kassadin?s face was in a slight pout as she looked her blade up and down. After a few moments of admiring her sword, her expression became softer and the intensity began to fade away back to the clouds her mind occupied in between encounters filled with death and fear.

Burdenking

Zallri growled, then just let to of the anger, knowing it would only add fuel to the dark haired woman's pride. " You can fear death, or you can welcome it. Life is here as a gift, and we should cherish its freedoms, not look to its end. If I die today, I have no regrets, but I will not let it happen. I aknowledge the threat these bandits pose, but more importantly, I aknowledge the fact I will die one day, no matter what I do." The warrior explained, her voice a whisper compared to the screeching winds that sought to engulf them all.

Her smile had disappeared to a thoughtful frown, showing some evidence that she knew something about what she was talking about. " If I begin to let fear rule me, then I become its slave. I am slave to nothing. No diety hold the chains to my soul, no lord the rope to my collar, and certainly no form fear takes has a grasp upon my mind. I am free, and freedom, however brief, is worth it in the end." She said, the last line of her monologue spoken more for herself then anything, the hushed tone evidence to this.

The centaur was silent for a second, then a smile formed " enough of this idle chit chat, those bandits are out there waiting for us while we have are arguments. It's a little rude on our part if you ask me." She said, tone back to its normal happy and confident level. She pointed her hammer into the mist like sands, seeing nothing but the small grains clashing with the ground and themselves, and started to walk forward.

Eireleen

Branwen merely stood still and listened, taking in the centaur's speech. Outwardly, she showed no reaction. It was impossible for her to be 'moved' by such a thing, lacking emotions. But even so, after all had been said, she still felt something similar to what she would have once described as wry amusement, perhaps something she would have given a small chuckle to, had she the capacity.

How na?ve.

But she said nothing. She had said all she wished to say. She followed behind the others slowly at a comfortable distance, doing her best to blend into the sands and stay wary. It was time for business.

[spoiler]Move Silently [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 10 + 11, total 21[/blockquote]

Hide [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 4 + 11, total 15[/blockquote]

Spot [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 5 + 5, total 10[/blockquote]

Listen [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 5 + 5, total 10[/blockquote]

Search [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Ihm

Elwood held his arms out in greeting to the biting winds and sand. Myrtle looked at him like he was crazy (not for the first or last time). Looking up as if checking the time, Elwood saw more sand than sky. Glancing at the receding centaur, he shrugged "Anger is a hard master." he muttered to himself, "It's time to move on." the wind carried his words away as they beat his coarse tunic under his light armor.
    Myrtle grudgingly hauled herself to his side. He always looked forward to their evening talks (however brief), when he hadn't spoken to any other animals that day.
He smiled at her apologetically.
She snorted.
He leaned playfully against her.
She looked away.
He watched his feet.
    He knew he should have looked for some weather-protection for her before they left. He knew he should have prepared more. He knew she could hold a grudge for weeks.
She leaned back.
They started walking.
He knew he'd get an ear-full that evening.

TheBigJon

Gralof looked at the two who were exchanging words with disdain. He didn't understand why it was necessary to use such words during a mission. Back with the other guild members, he wouldn't think much of the two arguing, but here? They were in the face of danger, and his fellow allies were conversing. He took no part in the conversation, and stood astute by Annia. The minotaurs towering figure stood there, brandishing his axe. All it took was a little hostile movement, and he'd be ready. He acknowledged everything his mates had said, although still a bit irked by their lack of caution, and was vigilant and dilligent when it came to being prepared. The arrogance of the other guild member had also caused him a little bit of discomfort, but it didn't matter to him. He'd give his life in order to save one of his allies if it came to that. So Gralof stood, still watching the cliffs and everything surrounding his party.

Throndir

The paladin had stood by silently watching the exchange. She could feel the intensity between her companions. She had wanted to say something, though her mentor had interefered and suggested that talks like those were what some warriors needed. And so Annia left it to that as she stood by Gralof, occationally glancing at him and the conversation the others were having.

As they were about to move on, Annia felt a strange sense of trepidation. Not more than a few steps into the windy and sand-blown pass, there was already some tension between the group. Though as she considered Branwen for a moment, she realized that not everyone would probably agree with her assessment.

She was concerned, but knew there were other more pressing problems to deal with. A gust of wind blew into her face. A moment later she moved herself right behind the large minotaur.

Problems like the sand for example. She would have smiled at the joke, but as she shaded her eyes again from constant spray of sand, a more somber tone fell upon her.

After all, along with the sand, comes the bandits hidden within.

[spoiler]Environment modifiers not added.
[blockquote]Search, aimed at area ahead 1d20+2 : 20 + 2, total 22[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Spot, aimed at area ahead 1d20+3 : 6 + 3, total 9[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen, aimed at area ahead 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Manzokushi

The party continued their conversation amongst one another, till finally Zallri pushed forward despite the blistering winds. Once you make your way beyond the mouth of the pass opening, the walls give way to an open canyon. The ground is composed mostly of sand, the only noteworthy landmark being small plateau to the south east. It?s hard to make out from the mouth but it appears that the canyon splits north and east.

The winds change as you enter the canyon floor, no longer rushing against your skin with blasting strength, but still strong enough to stir the sands into the air creating clouds of dust and debris. The sounds that flow through the canyon vary from wailing high pitched whistles, to low gale-like howls and intermixed within that a child like giggle can just barely be heard.

[spoiler]
Stats:
[spoiler]
Still to move: Anyone

Spells/Abilities/Potions used since the day:

Zallri:
Detect Evil

Party HP
Annia: 10/10
Branwen: 9/9
Elwood: 9/9
Garlof: 15/15
Kassadin: 10/10
Ludar: 10/10
Zallri: 11/11
[/spoiler]
Map:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Throndir

"Do you hear that? It sounds like... laughter." Though, even as she said it, the whole idea sounded preposterous. Yet, it really did hear like it was some sort of laughter, though, sinister and dark as it was.

"From the scratches I examined on the broken crate lid, it would seem as if the evidence points to the caravan heading north." She made her way next to the minotaur since the winds had died down.

Ihm

Elwood pricked up his ears. How strange. he thought, How beautiful. He spit a bit of sand out of his mouth and looked around at his companions. How much do they see the place? He let the winds play with his mind without making a judgement on the giggling sounds. I've heard winds scream why shouldn't they giggle also? And yet, perhaps there is more at play here.

He was aware of the oddity that he didn't know any of these people, and yet followed them into the unknown. The swirling sands, and whatever those sands concealed, lay before them. Introductions could wait.

[spoiler]
Will save, against giggling wind [1d20] 10 + 2(BSB) + 4 (WIS) = 16
Survival [1d20] 12 + 5 = 17
Listen for bandits [1d20] 11 +5 = 16
Spot [1d20] 16 + 4 (WIS) = 20
[/spoiler]

Burdenking

Zallri slowly advanced into the shifting sands, going slow to avoid a slip up on her part. She heard some sort of giggle, and had looked back at the group briefly before returning her gaze forward. The Centaur had never faught in such an environment, and the new experiance did the trick to help sate her appetite for adventure, though completing the mission would finish the job. She wasn't bloodthirsty, she simply liked her job as an adventurer.

The thrill of new places, the experience of meeting new people and cultures, it's what drove her. It was the freest thing a person could do while enjoying civilization, and it was a grand life.

[spoiler]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 11 + 2, total 13[/blockquote] listen for bandits or hyenas
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 20 + 2, total 22[/blockquote] spot for bandits or hyenas
[/spoiler]

Ihm

"Hyenas," Elwood said, loud enough to be heard, "That's the laughter of hyenas, metal-clad." Addressing Annia, "They're not close, but it's hard to tell quite how far or in what direction." 
    "They sound aggressive but I'm sure the hyenas themselves are quite friendly. It's likely their bandit 'masters' that will be the thing to worry about." He added optimistically though knowing full well that any being of the quadruped kind could be bent to the will of another. Remembering the centaur: of the non-humanoid kind he amended mentally.

Throndir

Metal-clad. That's new. She was about to respond, but she stopped, as she tried to think of how to best describe the short bearded gnome. After a moment's hesitation she finally spoke.

"Then we best be wary Mr. Bearded Gnome. The sand makes things hard to see, but at least we can hear them." The paladin points towards the north, knowing that the caravan was somewhere in that direction. "We should head that way." She continued, her tone of voice low. After all, the wind would have carried her voice towards the others behind her. With that, Annia started moving northwards.

He's right you know. The katana on her side spoke to her.

Hm? She responded.

The armor. I still have yet to understand why you bring around so much metal around with you. She shook her head, she was about to respond, but thought better of it and instead focused on the road ahead.

[spoiler]Right behind the lead. If no one is moving out, Annia will move 7 tiles east, and 1 tile north.[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

The Pass continued to open before you and an obvious path North was now seen. Along the western wall were a few more scratches indicating the direction the wagon had taken. No other visible signs indicated that anyone or anything had been in the Pass in a very long time. The winds played tricks with the terrain it was no wonder why most chose to avoid such a place.

The giggles of laughter seemed to be closer but just as quickly the sounds shifted fluttering away on the howling breeze. The echos in the canyon seemed to come from all directions, confusing the senses.

[spoiler]
Stats:
[spoiler]
Still to move: Branwen, Elwood, Garlof, Kassadin, Ludar

Spells/Abilities/Potions used since the day:

Zallri
Detect Evil

Party HP
Annia: 10/10
Branwen: 9/9
Elwood: 9/9
Garlof: 15/15
Kassadin: 10/10
Ludar: 10/10
Zallri: 11/11
[/spoiler]
Map:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Throndir

Keeping near the wall, Annia scannedthe various marks and scratches on the cliff face that showed the path that the caravan took. The wind was still pushing against them, but the ravine helped in diminishing the amounts of sand and wind that made their way towards the group.

[spoiler]Search, spot, and listen, while moving 4 squares north.
[blockquote]Search 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 15 + 3, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen 1d20+3 : 8 + 3, total 11[/blockquote][/spoiler]