[IC] Temple of Dorgan

Started by Throndir, November 15, 2012, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

QuoteIf you see spoiler tags, click on them! From now on after this all my OOC (OODM) comments will be in spoiler tags. Please read this first: Temple of Dorgan Recruitment Before reading this topic.

If you are having trouble figuring out how to post, or what to do, please read: List of actions and possibly Writing a Roleplay Post.  You are not required to post long however, I just want frequent posters to do actions.

Don't forget about hitting Thank You for posts which are well written/funny/interesting. Read here: Thank You Points

The journey to the Temple of Dorgan near Mt. Hersh didn't take too long, nor was the travelling hard. The area was still at the heart of the kingdom of Korinthia, and though there have always been highwaymen and bandits who stalk the roads, they did not bother you or your group. It was probably because of the guild emblem that each member had on their person. Bandits usually don't mess with guilds after all.

Once there at the temple, the group was greeted by a short stocky dwarf. Of course it was a common fact that dwarves are indeed short and stocky, but this particular dwarf seemed to be even more shorter and stockier than regular.

He explained that the "those durn miners" accidently uncovered something they were not supposed to near the heart of the volcano. He proceeded to explain, using wide and elaborate gestures, that they had little time to evacuate the temple as creatures from the plane of fire poured forth the walls, and from tunnels that lead deeper into the volcano.

The dwarf was amiable, though a bit loud, so the party was glad when they finally ran into the other dwarves from the priory. Garbed in their priestly robes, they stood by at the entrance of their temple, waiting for any creature to come forth.

However, you were lead to a side path, going around the temple, and into what looked to be a hidden door on the side. The dwarf who accompanied the group explained that the temple held a precious relic, a glowing hammer, on the small, but lowest part of the temple. It apparently also was the hardest hit area from the creatures.

He gave each of you a waterskin filled with water and wooden club, with the only words of:

"Ye' be needing it."

And with that the party went deeper down the hidden passage leaving the dwarf at the entrance awaiting for the return of the so-called artifact. They finally reached even flooring, and you saw the hallway in front of you stretching northwards and southwards.

And was the dwarf right. Immediately you felt the intense heat. Those that wore metal on their person felt their armor get warmer and warmer...

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

The black girl gave little notice of the heat. Her chain overlayed her habit, and overlaying that was her shawl, clapsed with a pin in the shape of an open eye, the symbol of Tuoi. Her rapier was at her side, its hilt bearing the symbol of the Guild in resplendent gold. It was the only brightness that adorned her person, like a single, shining star in a night sky.

She wouldn't allow herself to show so much as discomfort. She was above such things. The shadowlike girl stepped forward, stubbornly ignoring the sweat on her brow. Even in such a simple movement, her form seemed to almost fade into the obsidian walls. Her clothes were black as night, the same as the volcanic ash that coated the walls and floor. Even as she slowly removed her hat, tucking it within the folds of her shawl, her black hair did little more in regards to her visibility. Even her eyes were empty and black.

They say the eyes are windows to the soul. As a follower of Tuoi, the master of Hades, keeper of souls, these words meant more to her than ever. Her eyes were black and empty, a blank opening to a blank container. Her soul had long been pledged to her master.

She had little advice or comfort to offer to her allies, not at all one for words. She busied herself for a moment, kneeling down to sift a single finger through the black dust on the ground. The floor underneath seemed to be made of an orange-tinted marble, smooth and solid. The layer of ash wasn't so thick so as to blot out the color completely, but as she feared, it was just thick enough to leave a footprint.

Making a mental note to take caution of such conditions, she stood upright again, minding the ceiling.
"No doubt this tunnel was constructed with dwarves in mind..." she thought out loud, noting it sourly as she looked up to the ceiling not but one head above hers.

Though young as she was, she seemed to bear little worry for the trials and tribulations ahead. Her only true worry was some of the more flammable belongings she carried, some papers and a single book. One of these days, she would pay a wizard to inure her texts, but for now, she lacked the funds. A sharper blade and lighter armor were much higher on her list than such trivialities.

She covered her mouth for a moment as she took a deep breath, careful not to ingest the volcanic ash as she prudently scanned the halls, in a slow advance.

[spoiler]Search check for traps:
Rolled 1d20+5 : 1 + 5, total 6[/spoiler]

Throndir

Though there was a layer of ash and low ceilings, the temple could really have looked majestic. That however, was not enough for the party to simply ignore the temperature.

The heat was overwhelming. Each member of the group had little comfort in knowing that the artifact that they were supposed to find, a glowing hammer, was somewhere to be found within these temples, but no exact directions with which to find the item. That only meant having to explore more, which means prolonging their stay in this literal hell-hole for longer.

One of the members in the grouped coughed, expelling the volcanic ash that started to become thicker as the group journeyed lower into hidden passageway into this bottom floor of the temple.

You watch as you see Branwen keeps a close eye out on the various tiles and walls of the temple, probably seeking out traps.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

With the ceilings and conditions as they were, Kin actually felt a little at home, though he was probably the only one. He shuffled through the soot, not really paying it any mind. I just need to get this job done so I can get back to the drink, have a nice cold drink and RELAX! Not to say I'll be lazy here, oh no no no! That's a sign of weakness, and being both short and a run-up-and-slash-'em kind of guy, that just won't do. Got to show them this halfling has heart!

Continuing his internal rant, he follows behind Branwen, his greatswords' scabbards lightly clinking against his chainmail, seeing that she's scouting. "Any signs of trouble, Bran?" He curtly asks.

He notices afterward that he had brushed his shoulder against the wall, covering his leather pauldron in the ash. Quickly, he brushes off his shoulder so his guild insignia is in plain view. Can't have my emblem covered! My enemies have to know where I'm from before I kill them, so that just won't do!
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Eireleen

"I do not recall granting you permission to address me so informally, halfling." She whispered back, in a scathing yet tranquil tone. Though the words bore disdain, there was no such feeling behind them - her voice did not rise in anger, nor did it deepen in frustration. It sounded almost as though she had simply read the line from a script. She brought her arm to her mouth again, taking another breath through her sleeve as she proceeded.

She couldn't be bothered to remember his name, and left his question unanswered. The way she slunk through the hallway made it almost seem like a casual walk, but there could be no mistake to her methods - her steps made nary a sound, and left only the lightest impression in the ash on the floor. Slowly, she peered around the corner, silently surveying what more she could see of the dungeon.

[spoiler]Branwen moves one square south and stealthily peers around the corner.
Hide: Rolled 1d20+8 : 2 + 8, total 10
Spot: Rolled 1d20+7 : 5 + 7, total 12
Listen: Rolled 1d20+7 : 20 + 7, total 27
Search: Rolled 1d20+5 : 2 + 5, total 7

Will Save: [1d20+5] 4 = 4 + 5 = 9[/spoiler]

Linwelin

"Well now, I don't remember needing permission, Bran. And you didn't answer my question." Kin remarks quickly, emphasizing "Bran", not missing a beat. Stuck up, aren't we? He watched her move carefully, nearly tapping his foot in impatience. I can still see the entrance. We'll boil in our own armor if you don't hurry it up!

[spoiler][blockquote]Requested Will Save:  1d20+2 : 17 + 2, total 19[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Watching behind her, you see Branwen slowly peer around the corner. You would have given her more attention, but the heat was getting just a bit too warm. Already the metals that each individual wore or carried with them started to become hotter and hotter.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Branwen stepped out into the hall, seeming for once to be satisfied with her scouting. She strode forward confidently, giving only a passing glance to the corpses nailed to the wall.

There were three of them. All were short and stocky, no doubt the corpses of dwarves, gnomes, or as Branwen quietly hoped, halflings. The scene was nothing remarkable to her. Their souls had been claimed, and they had entered the cycle of transmigration just as any other living thing. She stepped past the corpses as though they were beggars on the street, not worthy of her time or attention.

Though her chain was heated, the metal did not touch her skin directly. There was a heavy cloth habit she wore under it, which the heat was still attempting to seep through. She certainly felt it, just as the others did, but it had yet to become hazardous. While she could very well sprint through the dungeon in order to complete it before the heat assailed her too brazenly, she knew that exertion would only worsen its effects. By taking things slowly, she kept her body at rest as it resisted the hostile conditions. She tightened her gloves as she walked casually down the hallway, stopping in front of the second door in order to inspect it.

It was difficult to tell if she was taking her time out of actual prudence, or merely to annoy Kin, but whatever her reasons, she continued refusing to acknowledge any questions he had.
"If you find my methods too slow for your liking, feel free to explore on your own." She stated matter-of-factly, pointing to the other door, and further down the hall. "If you stray too far from the party and become cornered, please do your best to die quietly instead of dragging the trouble back to us."

[spoiler]Search check on the door (traps and other): [1d20+5] 6 = 6 + 5 = 11
Listen check (ears against the door, if it's wood - otherwise just close enough): [1d20+7] 14 = 14 + 7 = 21[/spoiler]

Throndir

Your group watches as Branwen puts her ear close to the stone door, trying to make out any sounds from within. The sight of the three figures pinned to the wall was disturbing, though with what was happening in the temple, it wasn't unexpected. The heat was slowly spreading its way deeper into the metals that everyone carried. The temperature was intense, and felt almost akin to an oven. The orange tiling didn't help in the situation, and only made things feel hotter than it was. Looking towards your weapons, you wonder if they have been affected by the heat, and if so, by how much.

Eireleen

The black girl put her ear just a hair's breadth away from the stone door, not risking contact with the hot stone. She was sweating profusely now, her dark hair clinging to her face and neck. With her left hand, she brushed it away from her eyes, minding her buckler as she did so. The first thing she was going to do after getting out of this godforsaken temple was a nice, cold bath.

But that would come later. Pulling her ear slightly away from the door, she silently motioned to the others to come closer. She slowly cracked the door, silently pushing it with a gloved hand, just enough to get a glimpse into the room. To throw the door open and rush in would be mere folly. She was far smarter than that. Slowly, but surely, she peeked into the room with a single eye.

[spoiler]Fortitude Saves:
[1d20+3] 5 = 5 + 3 = 8
[1d20+3] 20 = 20 + 3 = 23

Open Door Silently:
[1d20+4] 13 = 13 + 4 = 17[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Kin merely smirks as they continue along, "It's funny, I was thinking of doing just that if you didn't step around the corner!" He waltzes behind her, obviously enjoying this even though he's been insulted. He actually smirked more when she told him to die. Guess I got the wrong impression, I like this one...that's rare!

When she suddenly stopped and motioned them to halt, Kin immediately started tapping his foot lightly, making up for not doing so last time. "It's like you don't WANT to find trouble! That's just weird!" With that, Kin simply walks up and kicks the door open.

[spoiler][blockquote]Strength Check to kick door open:  1d20+2 : 3 + 2, total 5[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Neko

Sophie followed behind her fellow adventurers, a smile on her face even as they entered the hot place.  Sophie giggled as Bran and Kin bickered.  Although she wore no armor, even Sophie was feeling the heat, and immediately felt bad for the others. Her uniform was warm, but surely not as stifling as the clothing her companions wore. Just as the others had items that bore the guild's symbol, Sophie's was sewn directly into her uniform, just to the right of her chest.

As Bran motioned for her to come closer, Sophie quickly took her place right behind the girl. She squeezed the straps of her backpack in anticipation. She then jumped in surprise as Kin came forward and bravely (or perhaps foolishly) kicked the door right open.

Throndir

As the door came crashing open, all three of you saw what looked to be a worm-like creature. It was a strange creature, it looked to be around 4 ft. long and about a foot wide. Its body was separated into segments, but instead of soft skin, the texture reminded you of rock. Blunt, short, spike-like lumps protrude from each point of its hexagonal segments. Steam comes from each of these lumps. The tip of it, or what could be more easily described as the head was glowing an intense orange, with bits of flame and fire interspersed on it.

Before the shock that the creature was most likely feeling dissipated, it started wiggling...

...towards the group.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Kin lets out what sounds almost like a cackle, "PERFECT! I can FINALLY swing my blade a bit!" He then draws his over-sized greatsword and steps in front of the group to take point. Kin then yells, "Come on, you over-sized grub, have at me!" as he swings his sword tauntingly overhead, a feat you didn't think possible for a halfling, as it took a surprising combination of strength and dexterity to even hold it, let alone swing it.

[spoiler][blockquote]Initiative:  1d20+4 : 2 + 4, total 6[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Neko

"Uwah! What the heck is that thing?" Sophie questions in a startled tone. Her fear didn't last long though. Sophie fed off of Kin's  energy, and soon felt excited to start the battle. However, she'd likely stay in the back as support most of the time. Mimic, her raven, flapped his wings, obviously feeling uneasy about the enemy before them. "It's ok Mimic, we can do this!" Sophie told him in a cheery tone. She then lifted her hands into the air, using the spell bless in hopes of helping her companions fight.