Chapter 02 - Into the Keep

Started by pringerbeam, June 03, 2020, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

5:00 pm - Hellkniight Hill

While Citadel Alatarerein is only about a mile northeast from the town as the crow flies, the road to the old fortress takes a wide berth around the hill it is built upon to eventually turn west and takes almost an hour to arrive.  The fortress isn't built on the absolute top of the hill, a large rocky spire instead occupies this position and peeks out from behind the citadel which stands before you.  The citadel is a single stonemason building some 20 feet tall with battlements ascending an additional 10 feet above the two wings on either side and before you.  Narrow arrow slits line the walls ten feet above ground level and thickly overgrown thorned brambles creep along the base of the building's walls to occupy the ground within 10 feet of the walls except for the packed dirt road that leads up to the front door which sits slightly ajar.

Your attention is drawn to the red smoke that you have been able to see since you got beyond Breachill's walls and can now tell is coming from a source up on the battlements.  Unfortunately from your current angle, it's hard to see past the merlons to tell what the source of the smoke is.

[info]Everyone gains 1 hero point.[/info]

Throndir

"Smoke?" Melody asked allowed out of curiosity. "Then that means that the Bumblebrashers are in trouble..." Melody repeated what the goblin had said earlier that day. "That also means that maybe mister Calmont is there? We need to find out why he set the hall on fire..." A thought came to her then as she considered her own words. She turned towards everyone.

"Umm... everyone? I have a request... If we find mister Calmont, can we talk to him first? I believe in second chances, and maybe there was a good reason he did it, too." She asked hopefully.

Mysticsage

"I am fine talking as long as he is, but if he starts setting fires I'm gonna have to punch his lights out," Riven said as he studied the place.

"Do you think we should announce ourselves or just try to get in? If there is trouble, I don't like the idea of making ourselves known from the start, but I also don't want to be seen as an enemy by any goblins who are trying to defend the place."

[info]Riven is looking around for any obvious entrance or any obvious signs of an attack

Perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19[/blockquote] [/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Perception: 19

There are no signs of an attack on the keep.  The building is damaged and the stonemasonry looks a bit unstable but this appears to all be from the wear and tear of the elements and not from arson or attack.  The front doors of the keep are slightly ajar but you will need to get closer to see what's on the other side.[/info]

Asta

"Wouldn't they know we're coming? They sent a messenger to come back with help, it would stand to reason they expect us. Let's just go poke our heads in the door."

Kerrick

"let's make sure we keep our wits about us if they do expect you it could be for the better or the worse." vondur heads for the door to take a gander through it

Throndir

Melody stayed close with her group though was lingering more towards the back than the front.

pringerbeam

As you approach the doors you hear a low hissing growl and while the lighting in side the keep is quite dim you are able to clearly see the three creatures inside the entrance hall.  They look like large hairless mastiffs with long whipping tails but their heads better resemble that of a large rat than any dog you've seen before.  They appear to have taken notice of you and are watching you from a low crouch.

[info]Map https://app.roll20.net/join/6640619/O-93KQ

The lighting inside the keep is currently Dim. Anyone that lacks low-light vision will suffer appropriate penalties without a light source.[/info]

Kerrick

"well this cant be good. should we announce ourselves they seem to notice me." vondur smiles with a large grin of half fright half fight.

Asta

"Hold. Don't provoke them." Spira hissed loud enough for Vondur to hear but not loud enough to startle whatever it was on the other side of the door. Doing her best to move in a nonthreatening manner, she positioned herself to peek over the guard's shoulder and get a look at the creatures.

[info]Nature to identify, don't know what penalty you want to apply for me being human.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Nature: 11

The creatures are goblin dogs, a prolific species of large rodents as common as the goblins they typically accompany and for which they are named. They are known for being easily trained and lousy with parasites.  Commonly,  they are used as mounts and attack animals by goblin tribes.

Goblin Dog
HP 17, AC 17
Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +5
Attacks
Jaws +9 (melee, 1 action) 1d6+3 plus goblin pox
[/info]

Asta

"Those are goblin dogs. They probably belong to the Bumblebrashers as pets, and therefore not a threat unless you provoke them. Let's just... let them know we're here."

"Hello? Adventurers here. Looking into the smoke." Spira called out.

"Oh, yes, and don't touch them or you'll get sick." she said much quieter.

Kerrick

Vondur nods "oh okay don't touch them don't provoke them seems easy enough" vondur walks through the door looking around.

pringerbeam

The goblin dogs creep towards Vondur after he enters, hissing up until they get quite close at which point they begin to curiously sniff at him.  Their attention seems to be focused on Vondur's pack and they begin to nuzzle and nip at it.  One of them stops to vigourously scratch itself, sending mange and dander out in a cloud around it before following to join its comrades in inspecting Vondur.

Mysticsage

Riven hearing them whisper moves up to provide support to Vondur as he goes to enter but trying to stay out of sight of the problem. Making eye contact with the knight he nods in silent acknowledgment that he would have his back if things went wrong. Not wanting to spook the beasts and alert whatever the larger problem was he motioned for the party to get prepared for when things went south. "We got this, we just need to keep our heads and be steady," he whispered