Episode 1 [All] - Reach for the Sky

Started by pringerbeam, October 26, 2018, 05:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

July 2076, Tuesday 10:00 PM

It's been a hot start to the week in Cara'Sir, unusually warm and humid for the city.  By this time in the evening its been a while since the sun has set but yet still the air lingers with heat and sticky humidity.  You are all about your usual evening activities passing time when you get a matrix message from Steve Roderick.

QuoteSteve: Yo listen I got a job lined up shit is big-time Johnson got a room at the DMZ get here ASAP

The DMZ, the most well known runner bar in the capitol and a job is a big step up from what work, if any, you've been doing recently.  Steve might be right, this just might be the big leagues.  You know where to go, every runner in town big or small knows the place.

Oath

Jing finds himself sitting at his favorite noodle bar. He swirled the last of the booze in his cup as he got a notification. Steve Roderick, he didn't know much about the guy but he seemed to make big promises.  He fired off a couple of quick messages as he slurped down the last of his noodles and took the last swig of booze.

Steve: Yo listen I got a job lined up shit is big-time Johnson got a room at the DMZ get here ASAP

Jing: Alright Steve, on the way.

[okay]Jing: Hey, Anahera I am gonna guess you got the same message from Steve. Last one there buys drinks :j
[/okay]

He set down his empty cup and bowl, paid, grabbed his motorcycle helmet and left. The night was young and he was feeling optimistic. He felt a little uncomfortable without his trusty pistol, Iron Mike at his side, dinner is usually a pretty mellow time. The DMZ on the other hand, who knew what was going to happen in that zoo.

Jing sat on his bike, started the engine and drove off into the Cara'Sir night. A handful of miles, and a handful of shitty drivers he would have liked to find at the bottom of the river later, he arrived at the DMZ and poked his head inside.

Asta

Anahera sits at the tiny kitchen table in the tiny but fortified traphouse she shares with Jing. Screwdriver in hand she makes a few adjustments to her left wrist, the humidity was making the joint stick these past few days and that was never a good sign. A soft pinging noise comes from the commlink in her pocket and she pulls the notifications up on the overlay in her eyes, picture-in-picture style, then dictates a response to both messages.

Steve: Yo listen I got a job lined up shit is big-time Johnson got a room at the DMZ get here ASAP

Anahera: As you say. Be there in a while.

[okay]Anahera: I hope you're okay with that shit they make from mushrooms then Jing.[/okay]

She tightens the last screw, double checks the internal mag for her integrated machine pistol, and seals up the synthetic skin once again rotating her hand around checking how it feels. The DMZ would probably be fine, probably, so she could pack light and just bring essentials.

Armored jacket... Check.
Combat knife in concealed holster... Check.

She grabs her helmet on the way out the door, double checks the locks, then climbs on her bike. A few minutes later shes making her way over to the bar at a leisurely pace, no need to bring the heat down on you for speeding. A while later shes strolling through the door. Jing's bike was outside so she walks to the closest person tending bar and gets two glasses of the cheapest mushroom based whiskey a nuyen could buy then scans the room for her housemate.

pringerbeam

Jing and Valkyrie
     The two of you arrive at the DMZ, greeted by the usual bustle of the place.  A crowd of gangers showing off their custom rides and onlookers spectating occupies most of the parking lot but there are still some spare parking spaces to take up.
     Inside, the bar is practically standing room only.  The bar is already taken up by the regulars willing to put up with the noise and the tables are packed with the bar's wide range of clientele.  Steve doesn't appear to be counted among them.  He is probably in one of the many infamous backrooms which you have yet to visit personally.

[info]Jing arrives first let me know if you want to wait for Valkyrie or go ahead.[/info]

Erynn

Calista had lately been spending more of her time trying to make connections and inroad with the local gangers and was currently trying to make heads or tails of a particularly colorful motor that was sitting in a Japanese import that appeared to ride only an inch off the ground. She was failing miserably, though her desire to learn was evident. When Calista received the message from Roderick, she had already been in the parking lot for most of the evening, and an unusual thought occurred to her. 'When, exactly, did Steve arrive?'

Calista thought back over the evening and tried to recall whether or not she had seen him, then realizing she had a better option. The young ork scanned the parking lot for a vehicle that she had previously seen him step out of. She also makes a point of responding to him.

Calista selects Steve Roderick from her contact list and sends him the following laconic message,

QuoteUruk-hai: Which room?

Calista waits for a response as she seeks to identify some sign of the elf's presence at the DMZ. She hopes that she's just being paranoid, but she can't help but feel like something about the message she had received stinks. Calista surreptitiously checks her knife, handgun, and magazine pouches, making sure that each is clear of obstruction.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Oath

The DMZ had lived up to its reputation. Jing generally avoided places this crowded in meatspace, but today was an exception. While he was sure he could hold his own, waiting for his roommate who could hold much more than her own seemed to be the wiser option.

[okay]
Jing: Hey, Anahera I am gonna guess you got the same message from Steve. Last one there buys drinks :j

Anahera: I hope you're okay with that shit they make from mushrooms then Jing.

Jing: Better than that pisswater that we can find at most places.
[/okay]

He scans the room, waiting for Anahera to arrive. She walks in the door and he can't miss her. He follows her to the bar to get his well deserved reward. He swirls his whiskey, takes a sniff and then a swig. It was a bit better than lighter fluid.

Jing inches closer to the counter, and puts on his best business face. "Oy, chummer!" He calls out to whoever is tending the bar. "Steve Roderick sent for us. Which room is he in?" he motioned to Anahera as he said us.

pringerbeam

Uruk-Hai
    Looking over the parking lot you don't see any familiar vehicles.  It was entirely possible that Steve could have arrived by some other means though.  You don't know the fixer that well beyond a few very minor jobs so you have no real idea if that car you saw him getting out of was his normal vehicle or if he preferred other means of transportation.  He didn't seem the public transit type though, nor did anyone that had to go out into the degraded urban wastes that the Night Market bordered.  It was possible that he could have simply parked on the street somewhere else and walked into the bar through the crowds occupying the sidewalk before it without you spotting him.  As you scan the parking lot looking for Steve's possible ride, his return message pings on your comlink.
QuoteSteve: Room 8

Jing and Valkyrie
     The person manning the bar was an attractive elven girl with the youthful look that meant her age could be anywhere from 18 to her mid 40s.  She was the bartender that usually helped the General run the bar when he needed the extra hands and it looked like she was overwhelmed by the evening rush with the general's conspicuous absence.  She sliced a lime and nodded her head to the dark hallway next to the restrooms. "Room 8" she said simply as she stuck the lime slices into the ends of a collection of beer bottles sitting on a tray.

Oath

"Thanks, chummer. Jing finished gulping down his whiskey and set the glass down on the table before turning to his companion. "This should be interesting." He left the bar and proceeded to room 8, and knocked on the door.

Mysticsage

Zephyr had a sea of photos spread accross his coffee table  in his apartment as he sippied a mug of what  was considered tea in the modern era. He was sifting through dozens of different art pieces, gemstones, and artifacts contemplating future moves as modern jazz played softly in the background. As far as nights off went this was far from the worst thing this elf could be doing.

But he had to admit with no leads to go off of he was starting to get bored so when the call came Injected had to smile.

Quote>zephyr: Roderick! Congrats on the score chummer you are in luck. I just cleared my inbox and no one has yet to pin me down again. I'll be at the dmz in fifteen. First drink on me yeah? Just remember to breath in the briefing. It is just another job sans runners smell anxiety

Zephyr had gained a reputation amongst the fixers who worked with him to be overly friendly and familiar with anyone he worked constantly with. The kind of guy who would throw off your usual routine and relax when not meaning too or say something you meant to keep secret. Yet he was silent to almost everyone about his personal life. Though it's hard to ask questions when he offers to watch your dog while you meet with another crew.

His apartment while a distance away would not be to bad for an autocab even if he had to walk a short distance to the market on foot.

Definitely_Adhan

Siegfried stood in front of a mirror in the men's restroom of some dive bar he hadn't cared to remember the name of removing the wraps from his hands. Not the first time since the past few months wishing for an official weigh-in to fight some one his size... or his species for that matter. That's the last time I fight a troll with a fist literally thew size of my face, he mused to himself wincing from the pain of bruises along the left side of his chest. Checking his messages he was surprised to find one from Steve Roderick, a fixer he had been put in touch with after his last job filling in as some temporary muscle for Tony. He typed out his response:

QuoteOld Iron: Sounds big, I'll be there as soon as I can

He hesitated before sending, street fights and collecting debts for the mafia were one thing but this was a whole other world he was about to step into. He pushed the button with a smirk thinking what else can they take from me.

He reached in to the bag holding his gloves and other fighting equipment, combing through it until he reached his stash, pulling out his knucks and a set of throwing knives before stashing them inside of his armored jacket. He began to make his way toward the bus out of the slums.

Asta

"Yep." she said nodding to Jing before emptying her own glass. The amber liquid was earthy, as one would expect, all fungus and lighter fluid. She stalked behind him on the way to the door, letting the liquor settle low and warm inside her. Jing knocked.

pringerbeam

Zephyr
     You're able to hail one of the many automated cabs passing by your place without issue, only a short wait for a free cab to pass by.  One seemingly long and silent ride later, you find yourself dropped off at the crowded curb in front of the DMZ and into the haze of smoke it was producing.  A crowd of gangers over at the parking lot appear to be lining their cars up for a race and a large crowd of spectators is cheering them on.

Alteisen
     Fortunately, the busses still serve the area around the DMZ and you get on one that will drop you decently close to the bar.  The bus is decently full with various workers returning to their homes after a very long shift and a group of what looks to be some corp kids in the latest designer "punk" threads.  This may take a while.

Jing and Valkyrie

[info]As Uruk had stated they were already there, we will resolve their arrival at the meet before progressing your arrival. [/info]

Mysticsage

Zephyr made a mental note of the various cars he saw just in case one of them got totaled. Go-gangers prided themselves on their rides after all, and often made less then legal modifications to their rides that might be worth the salvage. He always liked to find things for Khieron to play with during his free time.

Walking into the dark lit interior of the DMZ he nodded towards the barkeep and followed up to the bar. He had longer hair then she did. "I'll have Roderick's usual if he doesn't have one already, along with my usual soy cafe." He said swiping his cred stick. while the bartender was busy he switched over to the astral plane for a moment scanning the private rooms looking for the fixer's aura.

Once he got a fixed location, and seeing that he wasn' alone he grabbed the two drinks in one hand and headed towards room 8.

[info] assensing to try and read Roderick's aura for his emotions
[blockquote]Rolled 8d6 : 4, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, total 19[/blockquote]
[/info]

Definitely_Adhan

Thankful to finally have gotten out of the crowd in the bus, Siegfried made the short walk to the DMZ without incident. Swearing under his breath after having noticed his own rather disheveled appearance just coming from a fight. He did say ASAP in the message after all.

All he had to do was find the first person who looked like they were part of the staff and ask where Roderick was, navigating through the crowd was something he prided himself on. For a man of his physique he had found that very few people were willing to get in his way if he walked with a stern look and a sense of purpose.

Finally getting the attention of one of the bar staff after pushing his way past a particularly gregarious pair young men with rather obnoxiously visible cyberware, he asked in his most professional tone.

"I am looking for an associate of mine, Steve Roderick he rented a room here recently, do you know where he is?"

pringerbeam

Zephyr
     The bartender looks you over.  "I don't know you beyond your 'name' and I barely know Steve.  He can get his own drinks."  She gives some quick finger quotes as she turns and sticks a mug into the coffee dispenser and turns to talk to you as it fills.  "Besides, bar policy is we deliver the drinks.  Keeps down the number of roofies we find swilling at the bottom of the glasses."  She takes the hot mug from the dispenser and clunks it down on the bar in front of you.  "He's in room 8 by the way.  Guessing you're with the others that are already here."

[info]Assensing
     You are unable to tell much from his aura beyond the fact that he's alive and breathing.[/info]
Alteisen
     The bartender takes a moment from spraying soda into a glass to nod you over to the hallway.  "Room 8.  Might want to hurry, Seems like you might be the tail end of the pack. Been a few others already that got here ahead of you looking for him too."

[info]Current order of arrival is Uruk, Jing and Valkyrie, Zephyr, and Alteisen.  We'll resolve Uruk getting into the meet and then continue.[/info]