[Leo] Chapter 3: The Church and State

Started by Throndir, September 09, 2018, 01:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 3: The Church and State》

Soon enough, the cavalry that was in pursuit caught up. Liza was still in the back, pretending to be sick. While you were at the front steering the wagon and holding the reigns.

"By the Goddess of Light, halt!" One of the men called out behind you.

Lance

"We surrender. oh great and powerful bandits-that-apparently-worship-the-Goddess-Of-Light!" Leo exclaimed back. as he slowed the wagon to a stop. "However, we've already been robbed not ONCE but FOUR distinct times, each time losing a precious Waggy to those most fiendish bandits that... that I'm sure you lot are nothing like!" The writer espoused, as he swept his hand to indicate the sole remaining Waggy and the bedridden girl left atop it. "As you can see, we've nothing left worth taking, therefore won't you please let my people go?"
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Throndir

"Silence you ingrate!" The man on the horse said, he motioned towards the others in his troupe, and the cavalry surrounded your cart. The man himself was dressed in what could be considered some sort of knightly armor.

"We saw you leaving a summoning circle back there. A dead one. You don't happen to know anything about that, do you?" He man narrowed his eyes.

Lance

The writer didn't know why the bandits suddenly wanted him silent but he acquiesced nonetheless! However, immediately afterwards, they began asking him questions. Were these bandits daft? "Mmm, mmmm!" Leo desperately tried to answer while keeping to their demand of 'silence.'

Throndir

"What are you saying? Speak! Who are you, and do you know anything about that magic circle back there?" The man then motioned towards his subordinates, and a couple of them dismounted.

"Search the wagon!"

Lance

"Oh sure, first you demand silence and now you wonder why I'm not speaking," the writer shook his head with an audible sigh. "Bandits these days... and like I said, we've nothing left worth stealing, but please don't take my word for it! I only ask that you not disturb the lady. She's suffered enough as it is."

Throndir

"I do not like your tone of voice. We are the Church's Knighthood! You dare call us bandits?" The man said smugly. The knights that had dismounted then proceeded to take a look inside the wagon.

"Uughhh..." Liza moaned, as she turned towards the opening flap of the wagon tent.

"Sir, there's someone in the tent!"

"Is it the hero? Who is it?"

"... an ugly... hag... I think."

The man turned his attention back to you. Glaring at you sharply.

"What is the meaning of this?"

Lance

"Y-y-you mean you're not actually bandits!?" Leo gasped at this shocking new revelation. "But wait... first, you waylay us on the road, then you have your men surround us with trained precision, only to threaten us with a rude demeanor as you search our wagon for goods. Additionally, you even seem wary of 'heroes.'" The writer leveled a suspicious stare at the man before him. "Are you sure you're not actually a bandit? It's not very healthy to deny your own existence, you know," Leo continued. "Don't worry, I get it. Times are hard. I won't judge. But still, you claim to be the Church's Knighthood?"

"I've heard the tales," the writer began, his eyes staring distantly, in apparent awe of the recollection. "A knighthood filled with only the greatest men and women the realm has to offer. Each individual, a paragon of strength and generosity; their actions such that, at times, they bring even heroes to shame." Therefore, Leo balked. "Such great people would have little reason to harass a poor traveling duo. Indeed, if it was really the highly-acclaimed Church's Knighthood that had accosted us, not only would they have merrily sent us on our way by now, but they would have even refilled our meager wagon with the supplies and riches to help us get back on our feet. Such is their greatness," Leo finished wistfully. "How great it'd be to actually meet one in the flesh."

"As for the lady in the back, I've not yet given up hope no matter how desperate the situation may be. I may currently lack the funds and the expertise, but I will find treatment for her contagious disease!"

Throndir

The man snorted.

"The Church's knighthood protects from demons, and maintains order. We are also the ones in charge of all Summoned Hero activities in our land. Any unsanctioned summoning will be greatly fined, and repercussions will be dealt by the church and state themselves."

"If you are as innocent as you claim to be, then state your name and purpose of travel! You were just at the summoning circle too... Care to explain that bit of coincidence? There was no magic left in that circle..." He narrowed his eyes dangerously at you.

"As for the woman in the back, drag her out!"

"B-but sir! He just said it was contagious! Look at her!" The other knight cried out.

"Uughhh... Everything hurts..." Liza continued to moan.