[Raani] Chapter 1: A Final Goodbye

Started by Throndir, July 30, 2018, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

[info]Perception: 9
Strain as you might you were not able to pick out what the commotion was.

Constitution: 1
Your consciousness was slipping in and out. You had trouble breathing. It was painful to just continue trying to pump more air into your lungs. They were failing, or have already failed. Things were looking grim.[/info]"Kulaani! Come quick! I think... I think you still made it." It was the chief's voice, it was full of concern, it surprisingly came from nearby as well, and you saw him standing just a few feet away. Did you really not notice him come in? Were your senses really degraded that far? There was no response to his calls though, but you did see your daughter at the entrance of the tent. She stood there with tears in her eyes and a troubled expression. She clutched to the side of the tent, her hands shivering as she did so. You also noticed that she was injured - blood was caked on her brow. And finally, you noticed too that she clutched a letter in her hand - the same one you had written.

There was one other person in the tent. It was a person you didn't recognize. She had white hair with red eyes. Her outfit was very form-fitting, and tied to her hair was a ribbon. You couldn't tell how old she was, but she was at least older than your daughter, that you could tell. She was friendly with your daughter, and the human woman had a hand on Kulaani's shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Everything was a blur, and it was hard to continue keeping your eyes open.

"I'm... sorry." The chief said. "She's no longer breathing... I'm not sure if she can even hear us now." His voice was full of sorrow.

"N-no mother..." You heard your daughter say.

"It might not be too late." That must have been the stranger's voice.

You felt something in your mind then, it felt calming. Like a warm embrace that coiled around you. The soothing waters eased your nerves, and calmed your mind. Then all of a sudden you found yourself in a clear meadow. Grasslands throughout as far as you can see with gentle skies and clouds high up in the skies. And you were there, standing right there in the middle of it all.

There was no pain or labored breathing. Your skin was clear of any disease and blemish. You felt completely renewed as if you had never succumbed to sickness in the first place.

And in front of you was your daughter. Kulaani. The one treasure that you kept close to your heart for the many years in your life.

She too looked different - younger perhaps. She no longer had the injury you saw from earlier either. She galloped towards you, and threw her arms around you tight.

"I-I'm so sorry." She finally said as she buried her face into your shoulder and cried.

"I'm so sorry, mother."

Valiancy

It took a few moments for the change in location to set in. The elderly Centaur had expected to be dead, but this isn't what being dead is supposed to be- is it? Confusion washed over her face as she caressed her daughters head. She spoke lightly her name.

"Kulaani."

Raani's confusion with the situation intensified, but also granted her waves of relief. Her voice was strong again and here body didn't deny her breath.

"Kulaani," she spoke more strongly, sounding as herself once more. "Please don't cry for me. Please don't apologize. You did nothing wrong."

Throndir

QuoteSame song as above, reads better!

"That's not true mother. You know it isn't." Kulaani insisted.

"The rest of the tribe? They hate me still. Chief Chasawat tries to be better. But I know he holds resentment still. His daughter died too, you know? Protecting those humans that weren't even there. Even after all these years when I saw him again just a few days ago, I saw it in his eyes. He tries to ignore it, but it's a wound that will never go away. Then dad..." Fresh tears swelled up in her eyes.

"I... I couldn't face you mother. You were already traveling the world, you weren't even with us when he passed. Out of everyone in the tribe, he was the one who supported me the most." She continued to hold you tight, as her tears continued to flow, and her voice quivered.

"I betrayed him. I betrayed you. The tribe... I betrayed them too. They hated me. Some of the kids began throwing stones and sticks at me after that whole thing. No one told them to stop, instead, it was glares. Glares from everyone. Glares from people I thought would never do such a thing. I couldn't live with myself. But I couldn't bring myself to take my own life... so I fled. No one wanted me anyways. I had no one left there."

"I... don't know what it was like for you, losing dad. I know you tried looking for me in your journeys. And maybe I was just being too stubborn or didn't believe in you, but I was sure you didn't want to see me either."

"When I heard you picked up an incurable disease, I tried helping, you know? I was a wanderer too, and I thought maybe if I found a cure, you would actually forgive me. I traveled far, I followed in your footsteps. I spoke to many druids. Talked with friendly clerics on the road. Went through so many hardships to search for something that would cure you..."

"But I found nothing."

"I finally came back after the Chief managed to send a request in to search for me. I got his message. You were dying. I'm sorry. If only I got a hold of myself sooner we... could have spent more time together. I read your letter, a Silver Arms captain gave it to me and insisted I read it. That man had apparently spent two days on horse back combing through our lands. I managed to only come back here in time with the help of one of his friends. A human girl with white hair, red eyes, and strange tattoos. I... don't know what she did, but I'm glad I could spend this time right now here with you."

"I've lost a decade with you. And now you're..."

"Y-you're-" She couldn't bring herself to finish her words, and her sobbing only grew.

Valiancy

"Proud of you Kulaani. You offered help to people that everyone else ignored. Your father and everyone else... That's on the humans. It's their fault, not yours. Blaming you is just convenient for everyone who has grief."

Raani hugs her daughter tightly.

"They shouldn't treat you that way now and never should have from the start, but we can't judge them or the humans- or even the goblins- for any of it. All beings have a purpose and a place in our world, even if it doesn't seem like it, and they deserve the lend of a kind hand when they need it most."

She leans back from the hug with her hands clasped on Kulaani's shoulders. She laughs lightly and breathes deeply.

"I'd forgotten what it's like to breathe so easily."

Throndir

QuoteDifferent song.

"You have four lungs!" Kulaani joked as tears still streamed down her face. She hugged you tight a moment later.

"It's amazing what people you can meet out there in the world. Some good, some bad. I'm glad... I'm glad that captain and his friend found me. Giving me this last chance with you."

"I know... it can't make up for a decade, but let's make the most of it okay?"

The two of you spent the next hour telling each other stories. Of the adventures you had as you traveled the world. Kulaani told you hers too. You were surprised by how much Kulaani had actually followed in your footsteps over the past decade. She too had begun dabbling into alchemy and remedy-making. She too had gone out of her way to help those who needed it. You found out then, that you both visited many of the same towns, villages, cities, and landmarks. You would tell her what you knew of that particular place and how it was like back then, and Kulaani would finish by telling you how it has changed since the last time you had been there. It was like comparing notes, but a lot more light-hearted, and the both of you could speak your mind.

You shared in the adventures you had. Kulaani described fights she was in, animated was she when she would pretend to be fighting a giant ogre, or troll. Raising her arm like an imaginary shield, yelling out and pretending to strike the enemy with an imaginary spear. You would laugh, give her advice on her throw or angle of attack. Like mentor and student; mother and daughter.

You would describe the peoples that you met. She would tell you of all her companions that she traveled with. Members from the Silver Arms. People from various adventuring guilds. Merchants and traders.

You would tell her of the great deeds you've done in your life. She would tell you about the time she had saved a royal princess. Or the time when she lead the evacuation of a village.

The both of you shared your precious memories with each other. You laughed and cried. And for that hour everything was bliss.

"Mother..." Kulaani began.

"I'm sorry... we're... losing her."

"Please don't go..."

QuoteI'll allow one last response, then we're closing this chapter of Raani's life.