[Raani] Chapter 1: A Final Goodbye

Started by Throndir, July 30, 2018, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiancy

Raani held a hand to the floor to stabilize herself and help from feeling dizzy even just sitting.

"Yes" she answered, loudly just enough to be audible. Her milky eyes fell on the human, and confusion washed over her wrinkled face. Words surfaced in her throat, but refused to leave.

Throndir

The young man smiled as he stepped in. Though you noticed he didn't move any closer.

"You probably don't remember me..." He stammered as he looked around your tent. His eyes fell on the various herbs and vials, along with many other reagents strewn about.

"I owe you my life." His eyes were soft, but continued to lock eyes with yours.

"It was about... maybe 12 or 13 years ago now. I was about 8 years old then. My mother and I lived in a village, Hrom's Hallow, it was called. Do you remember it?" He asked, as he began to sit himself down, cross legged.

"It was a small town, but we didn't have anything fancy like a church much less clerics or healers. But we got by. A disease one of the adventurers brought in afflicted the town. Everyone was forced to stay in-doors, to try to prevent it from spreading. But one by one, someone or something managed to catch whatever it was. And one by one neighbors, family, and friends were being picked off left and right. It came quickly too, in just a few days almost everyone was dead."

His eyes clouded as he recalled those times past.

"Our village was poor too. We didn't have anything to trade, everything we grew and gathered was just enough to sustain us. A passing cleric came through out village, we begged him to stay, but he left, rudely telling us that we had nothing to offer him or his god." He sighed.

"That's the point when we realized that even those in the church weren't so willing to give their services if our pockets were empty. Who knew money was so important, right?" He laughed softly and sarcastically to himself.

"You eventually came... I didn't know exactly when. I remember there was some commotion that a centaur-lady was in town. Most... people don't get along with your folk. Centaurs I mean."

"Anyways, most of us were kept indoors, while the few living representatives of our town were the ones who dealt with outsiders. Usually they told outsiders to go away. That this was an infected town. They tried to shoo you away too now that I think about it. The mayor's son actually held up a pitchfork to you."

"But you stayed with us. You knew remedies that none of us knew about. You told us you knew what this disease was. You gave us hope. But you said that you didn't have what you needed on you at the time. That you needed to go find it up in the mountains."

"No one said anything of course to you then. But after you left, people started to talk. Some people began claiming that a centaur was just trying to mess with us back-water folks. Purposefully trying to bring up hope just to be crushed further later. I believed you though. I had to. No one else offered anything. Once they realized we were an infected village, they left just as fast or faster as they came in."

"The journey to the mountains and back would have taken a week at minimum. Not to mention the time it should have taken you to find whatever it was you were looking for. Almost everyone in the village had given up. A few more people passed that next day, and more the day after... My mother... I held her in my arms when she died." His eyes started to tear up.

"But... you came. Three days after you left, you came back. Three days! I still don't know how you managed it. You came back for all of us." Tears were visibly streaming down his face, but he did his best to remain steady of voice.

"And the cure worked. A few days of rest with the treatment, and the disease was gone. Everyone thanked you then, even though we had nothing to give." He sighed as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

"After you left, those fit enough buried everyone of course. But because of that I decided to try and help people. I made my way to the nearest city, and when I heard that the Silver Arms was a group that helped people in need without asking for anything in return, I remembered what you did for us, and as soon as I was old enough, I signed up. It helped me become who I am today."

The man showcased the intricately-made red-bag that he wore at his side, it had silver trimmings, designating his rank.

"I'm one of the youngest captains of the Silver Arms in the last hundred years." He said proudly, but his visage softened again.

"But it was all thanks to you."

Valiancy

A small lip quiver gave way to a flood of tears and stifled crying, a smile and a nod.

"I remember." are the only words she was able to speak, but given the history they may also have been the most impactful response.

She points to a ragged leather journal propped up about halfway between herself and the visitor, then motions to it with an open hand. It's her logs. Professional notes on remedies and the sicknesses they cure, mixed with personal entries of every town, village, and outsider she has helped. A separate paper is folded inside the cover, addressed to Kulaani.

Throndir

The man looked at where you had pointed to. Noticing the journal he picked himself up and made his way towards it. He then picked it up, and not knowing what to do, began walking towards you to hand it over.

"Was this what you wanted?" He asked, confusion written on his face.

Valiancy

Shakes her head, concerned for him being too close. Her hands clasp together then unfold like a book would, then she points to him.

"Yours, now." pauses to catch her breath as best she can before trying to speak more.

[info]Con Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote][/info]
"The letter; please- please get it to my daughter."

Throndir

[info]Constitution: 8
When you tried speaking, you ended up coughing near the end. All the Silver Arms captain heard was 'The letter'.[/info]"I can't possibly take this from you..." The captain said as he opened the book. In it he found the letter.

"The letter-" After you finished coughing, the captain had read who it was addressed to.

"Take it easy Miss Raani- Ah, that is... lady Raani?" The captain stumbled on his words, but shook his head. "Kulaani? I'm sorry, I couldn't help but read the name on top of it." He stammered the apology.

"Is that who you want me to find? If it is, then I will honor this request and see it to its completion." The soldier vowed.

QuoteLet me know whenever you want to move on to the next scene, or if you want to continue on this one.

Valiancy

Smiles as a pleading 'thank you'. Her eyes get heavy, and she slowly drifts to sleep. Her chest raises and falls raggedly, but she rests better than she has the past few nights from just knowing that the letter will, eventually, be in her daughter's hands.

[info]Con Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

The captain smiled wistfully, though there was sadness in his eyes at the same time. Once he realized you were asleep, he picked himself up, and moved out of the tent. It was already late evening, and he nodded at the chieftain that waited for him outside the tent.

QuotePerception requested. DC 10. If you succeed, your character hears the conversation below.

"All my life I looked up to her. I... I thought when I finally reached a golden rank in the Silver Arms I would seek her out. To tell her my thanks, and to tell her what she meant to me. To tell her that her kindness to a random back-water village meant something. Something real. Something tangible. But..."

He bowed his head as he looked at the belt-bag on his side. He played with the silver trimmings on it. It took him years to get this rank. Though, by all means, it was the fastest rise to captain in the Silver Arm's recent history. Those that knew him, knew him to be exceptionally driven, as if chasing some far off goal with as much might as he could muster. He had pushed himself to the limits, all to prove something that was important to him.

"... If only I worked harder." His eyes were full of regret and sadness. It was the chieftain that broke the silence.

"Raani's journal?" He asked, not knowing how to respond to the human's anguish. Something that most of the village was familiar with.

"Y-yes." He replied. "I need to look for a Kulaani."

"Kulaani, she... she is Raani's daughter." The chieftain responded, but he seemed to hesitate.

"Then you'll tell me where she is, then?"

"She ran off. We have search parties searching for a day now.  But we don't know where she could have gone. Doesn't she realize her mother is like this?" The chieftain's voice was defensive, and it was easy to tell there was some slight anger in it.

"Raani doesn't have long... I hope Kulaani understands this."

QuoteRoll first, and see if you're able to hear that conversation. You could take other actions if you wish depending on the result too, otherwise let me know if I show move the day.

Valiancy

[info]Perception[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]
Con for the night[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

QuoteI wish those rolls were reversed... To make this more worthwhile, I'll give you extra levels/things the more days you last!

Constitution success. No new health failures.
Health Failures: 1
Another night passed, DC is now 14

Date: Year 2031 AE - Traches 4th - Late morning

The morning went by uneventfully. Breathing came harder this morning, you knew your health was deteriorating more and more as each day went. It was until later when you heard someone at your tipi's entrance.

"Excuse me? Sorry for bothering." It was an female elf who had come in. She stood at the entrance.

"I'm an alchemist by trade, though I like to travel. I met a man in this village earlier this morning who showed me a rather intriguing journal... It had some formulas I never even considered before. He told me a wise lady named Raani gave it to him. He left this morning on some sort of errand before I could ask where however. But it seems like most of the tribesman know you."

"I find it strange that someone of your talents isn't more well-known... Your people tend to be reclusive... but still."

Valiancy

Raani wearily lifts her head and smiles faintly towards the elf, patiently waiting for her to continue. She hasn't changed position since the previous day. The heartbreak from her daughter running off was still weighing heavy on her mind.

With enough breath for one word, she calls out feebly;

"Kulaani?"

Throndir

"My people never looked too far in the achievements of other races. Centaurs too, forgive me for saying, are usually never in the forefront of history or accomplishments. Due to racial differences, many people do not even consider the works of others due to their race alone. Perhaps it is indeed a battle for another day, but there is much knowledge out in the world that is lost due to such thoughts and prejudice."

"I wanted to meet the one who defied my initial expectations. In truth, the grove I am from are looking for expanded trade with neighbors. I was a chosen a representative to seek out who might be potential candidates. We know of your tribe, but have never bothered to reach out. In fact, we always thought that we would be trading with the human settlements instead. But lost knowledge is still lost knowledge, and I think as historians we should try to rectify the problem."

"I have a meeting with your chief today. I would have passed by the town without a second thought, but seeing that journal made me realize how much we are missing. I am hoping the trade will flourish in the years to come."

With that the elven alchemist nodded once more, and slowly closed the flap to the tent. The rest of the day goes by uneventfully.

QuoteCon check for the night requested.

Valiancy

[info]So many con rolls. How is she not dead yet? Stubbornness. [blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

QuoteConstitution failed. Death occurs on the 3rd health failure.
Health Failures: 2
Another night passed, DC is now 16

Date: Year 2031 AE - Traches 5th

The morning came by, and you realized that you were weakening further still. The complexion of your skin had become deathly pale, your breathing was even more labored. It was painful to even continue being awake. Thus it was easier to simply lie in bed, keeping an ear out in case someone had stepped in to talk with you.

But that morning came and went without much more than the regular sounds of the tribe going about their own business. Some centaur children were at play, being loud when one of their parents shooed them away, perhaps both respect to your position as an elder, or perhaps because of the contagious condition you were afflicted with. Perhaps both.

Soon, the sun had risen to high noon, only the tenders and younger children remained, the hunters having gone out into the wilds to procure food for the rest of the tribe.

Soon enough evening had settled with the return of the hunters bringing back the spoils for the day, along with the nightly bonfire that was set. Yet there was still no sign of your daughter. You thought you heard a commotion in the village.

QuotePerception requested, you have a +2 modifier on this.
Roll a CON check for the night.

Valiancy

[info]Perception[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 7 + 2, total 9[/blockquote]
Con [blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote][/info]