[Raani] Chapter 1: A Final Goodbye

Started by Throndir, July 30, 2018, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Date: Year 2041 AE - Traches 1st - Late Evening

The tipi tent that housed you was located near the outskirts of the campsite. You were considered an elder by the centaur tribe, your list of accomplishments was numerous, both among your own people of the Kost tribe, and people throughout the lands. But they understood that whatever affliction took you, was contagious. The current chieftain, Chief Chasawat, stood at the entrance of your large tent. He stepped in with only his front legs and human-half.

"Good evening elder Raani. Are you awake?" The chieftain's voice was gentle, but as he peered in, he realized that you stirred.

"I was not planning to disturb your rest. But we have word from your daughter, Kulaani. She is expected to arrive tomorrow. I thought the good news would perhaps bring you cheer."

[info]Kulaani is your daughter. A centaur as well, but perhaps a decade ago the two of you got into some sort of conflict, and the relationship has been estranged since. You haven't seen her in the past decade, and she had refused to attempt to make any sort of contact.[/info]
QuoteYou are currently on your deathbed, and have been for quite some time. Speaking is tough, you can manage speaking a single word. More than two words you will need to succeed a DC 10 Constitution check, or you will instead go into a fit of coughing instead, and your breathing will be noticeably strained.

Small movements are okay. Nothing strenuous, or those will be subject to a DC check as well.

If you fail your 3rd check for actions for the scene, Raani becomes unconscious until she is woken up again.

Note, your sheet is New World stats, so your current Con checks should be just a normal 1d20.

Valiancy

Raani lay on the dirt floor nestled against some bedding, surrounded by various gifts from her tribe and outsiders. She peered in the general direction of the Chieftan, eyes glazed, and spoke meekly.

"Kulaani? She..." her words trail off into a light, fleeting wheezing. A smile replaced verbal recognition of the news.

The dim light levels within Raani's tent didn't allow for much detail to be seen of the elder, but the lesions all across her body were shockingly noticeable.
[info]Con Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

"There is one other thing..." The chieftain continued, and you noticed that he seemed to hesitate.

"The rest of the tribe still do not look too favorably on Kulaani. Her heart was in a good place, but she still caused the deaths of many of our tribe members. Apart from you, elder, most of us still resent outsiders. And to an extent, the resentment is extended to Kulaani as well. If it is your wish, I will ensure Kulaani has a place to stay when she arrives tomorrow, and I will tell the rest of the tribe to see to it that she is given respect as your daughter."

[info]While you were out in the world, you knew that Kulaani had attempted to bridge peace between the tribe and a group of humans. The humans wanted help to defend against a goblin raid. It was due to Kulaani's insistence that the Kost tribe finally made their move, heading to the village to help defend the humans, and to potentially foster peace among them. But when they arrived, the humans were gone. The humans already fled from town, and it was then that the tribe realized they were sent here to distract the goblins so that the fleeing humans would have more time to escape.

Many Kost warriors died that day, and when the fighting had settled, Kulaani was banished, and the tribe refused to have any more dealings with the other races.[/info]

Valiancy

Raani tries to speak up vehemently in her daughter's defense but falls into a coughing fit. She grabs a cloth, already speckled with dried blood from previous episodes, and covers her mouth to ride this one out. As it subsides, she  lays back further and mutters Kulaani's name over and over, each rendition sounding more heartbroken than the last.

Throndir

QuoteSince we've decided that the day is ending, I also need a CON check at the end of each day, to see how well you last the night.

The DC for this check gets harder each night, each failure reduces the amount of things you are able to reply to, on the third failure, its death.

Raani to roll CON check

The chieftain nodded as he noticed you lay back down further.

"Rest well Raani." The chieftain said as he stepped back out, closing the door.

Date: Year 2031 AE - Traches 2nd - Late Evening

The next day was relatively uneventful, the rest of the tribe typically stayed away from your tent. The affliction you had was contagious, and no one wanted to risk catching it. You remembered that the chieftain mentioned your daughter would arrive today, though you weren't quite sure when she would be coming.

It was already starting to be late evening when you thought you heard a commotion outside.

QuoteRaani to roll Perception check

Valiancy

[info]Con Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]
Perception Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[okay]Constitution check succeeded. Survived the night.[/okay][info]Perception: 15
You could barely make it out, but you heard people talking outside. You heard your daughter's voice arguing with chieftain Chasawat.

"Kulaani, go see her. She is not long for this world." The chief said.

"I'm back in this village aren't I?" The other voice, Kulaani, retorted.

"That's not what I meant. It is time to face her. Make amends." The chief replied calmly.

"And I suppose once I'm on my deathbed, the rest of the tribe will accept me back too?" Her voice was thick with sarcasm. There was a long pause but the chieftain continued.

"This isn't about you Kulaani. This is about her."[/info]
QuoteYou can do any actions, or continue listening.

Valiancy

Raani lifts her lids wearily and tears begin to well. All of the years, she's only wanted to see her daughter and let her know that she loves her, and would have done the same to help the humans. That their decision to betray the tribes help wasn't on Kulaani- it was on them.

As she listens she strains and pulls herself to a wobbly stand, determined to see her daughter.

[info]Con Roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[info]Constitution: 17
You're able to pick yourself up. The distance to the tipi's exit is another 10 ft.[/info]
QuoteI'll need another CON roll if you plan to move to the entrance.

Valiancy

[info]Another Con roll![blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote][/info]

One hoof in front of the other, a very careful shifting. It was like learning how to walk all over again.

"Kulaani?" her voice wavered as she shuffled closer to the tent flap.

Throndir

[info]Constitution: 13
You managed to make your way to the tent flap, peering out, you say both Kulaani and the Chieftain. YOu notice too that it was already late into the evening. Beyond nearer the center of the village, the rest of the tribe has already begun a couple of fires, likely the village hunters had come home already as well. It wasn't dark enough that you couldn't see the two in front of you however.[/info]"M-mom? Is that... I don't-" Her face was full of emotion. Worry. Shock. Happiness. Joy. That and more. It flashed on her face but a moment later she turned her face around.

"I don't want to see you like this." Kulaani whispered, but you managed to still hear it. She started galloping away then. The chieftain had attempted to reach out for her, but she was just out of grasp.

QuoteIf you wanted to say some thing before she runs off, just let me know, otherwise I'll continue it.

Valiancy

QuoteAll good, go ahead
Raani clutched her chest, pained by seeing her daughter run off.

Throndir

The older centaur sighed and looked back towards you, though, his eyes were gentle.

"Raani... She probably needs more time, but you shouldn't be out here." He stepped forward at first to help you. But when he neared you, he hesitated. His eyes avoiding yours.

"You should rest. I'll go find your daughter." The chieftain said.

Valiancy

Very sadly Raani returned to her bedding and sat down, staring at her mortar and pestle. Flasks and vials of failed cures, herbs and curiosities for possible new ones littered the area around the tools. She began to reach for them, intent on trying again, but withdrew her hand and sighed heavily. Within a few moments, the exhaustion from her ailments led her to fitful sleep.

[info]Another Con roll[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

Date: Year 2031 AE - Traches 3rd - Morning

[info]You wake up dizzier than normal. You feel your breathing is more ragged and difficult. It felt as if your condition has gotten worse.[/info]
QuoteHealth Failures: 1
The DC has increased to DC 12 for strenuous actions, along with the nightly constitution check.

Date: Year 2031 AE - Traches 3rd - Afternoon

You wondered more what happened to your daughter. The Chieftain never came back to your tent last night. You expected him to come in the morning, but he hasn't arrived yet either. It was sometime in the afternoon that someone did enter.

"Excuse me?" Said a voice. It came from a human male. If you were to guess he was in his early 20s. He wore armor, and had a sword to his side. Most noticeably, he wore a silver-trimmed bag around his waist. You recognized it as an identification that those of the Silver Arms use.

[info]The Silver Arms
During your travels, you've met many members of the Silver Arms organization. They were like a police-force that operated throughout the nation, separate from the guards which were often employed by the cities themselves. The Silver Arms had headquarters in each major city, and a network of teleportation gates that made movement easier for them. Though they participated in adventures with adventuring guilds often, members of the Silver Arms were more akin to a militia for the country, and can be called upon in times of need.[/info]"Are you Raani Starrunner?" The man asked.