Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Aetius:

I choose not to roll for diplomacy. " I suggest we all try to get out of here. Does anyone here know the shortest way out of here? That wall falling not too long ago really startled me. That combined with the fact that we don't know if we're alone really makes me feel like we'd be better off at least outside. We'll find out who did this together, and I'll come back for the axe then too. I don't wish to see anyone else hurt."

Throndir

Patrissa spoke then as she moved towards you.

"We're in the courtroom in Beldrin's Bluff." She explained. "Presumably anyways. At the very least I recognize this place. Not only that, for some reason or another we were placed in the very spots we sat in ten years ago when we decided the verdict. It would stand to reason that right outside the western doors is the great hall. South of that should be the doors to get us out of here into Beldrin's Bluff. Though... this part of the city is considered abandoned, and judging by the light outside, it's already nearing night."

To the north you see a single door. To the west is the double door that Malgrim had his back to and leaning on. It was wide open, though Malgrim hasn't yet stepped through it. On the southwestern corner was the axe that had been flung, still embedded into the wooden wall. On the southeastern corner was the fallen marble, as well as the now broken evidence table.

Throndir

Aetius:

"We're all in this together. Let's form up to move. Malgrim, have you heard any movement beyond that doorway? We'll move that way. I'll go after you. I'll have Patrissa after me and Rekkart and Tablark cover behind us so that we aren't caught off guard surrounded."

Throndir

The group started to gather. Even Malgrim didn't mind. Though you noted that he stayed away from Rekkart specifically. You notice the half-orc Halgrak stare at Malgrim, and you notice his features scrunch up as well. Malgrim noticed the look and only stared back, showing his teeth and intimidating the half-orc. Halgrak eventually looked away.

"We're not going to make this." Halgrak the half-orc said. "What good is forming a formation do us anyways?"

Even though his words were dismal, he did follow the group. Eventually those in the courtroom formed up behind you. Patrissa and you covered the front guard. While Tablark and Rekkart were to the sides and behind you.

(Mention when you walk into the Great Hall, as an event triggers upon entering it)

Throndir

Aetius:

"I will fall before I ever let one of you die in this place." I ignite the crest on my shield and ready my weapon. "Weapons at the ready! Forward!" (We enter the next room.)

Throndir

Eight enormous marble pillars fill this great hall, holding aloft grand balconies. Years of dust cover the floor, and muslin coverings are draped over the railings of baroque staircases curling like lazy serpents up to the raised landings above. A rusted chandelier above sheds the dim light of a few guttering candles. An impressive grandfather clock more than ten feet tall rests against the center of the western wall, its face decorated with guilty souls suffering Asmodeus' torments: evisceration, force-feasting of coals, scalding blades tearing them apart, and other less savory punishments. The clock stands between a set of impressive oak doors and a lone oak door of equitable splendor, identical to another set across the hall. The largest set of doors is at the south end of this long hall. They are barred against the night.

Suddenly the grandfather clock at the opposite wall began tolling and clanging dissonantly, filling the the entire building with the dissonant sounds.

You feel your head start to feel painful, a quick glance to the others told you that they too were being affected. They each grabbed their heads as visions stormed. You yourself saw images of strangulation. You saw visions of being murdered by an axe, feeling each of the hacks as they sliced into your flesh. You heard screams ring and fill your ears. You felt your neck feel squeezed, as if tightened by a hangman's noose. The visions came rapidly and in quick succession one after the other.

Halgrak yelled as the half-orc clutched his head tight. Madge and Patrissa began to scream from the pain.

(Roll Will 1d20+5)

Throndir

Aetius:

I look at patrissa. I tell her that I'm going to throw my spear and try and destroy the clock and its dreadful noise. Tell her if I fail if she could try to use a spell to blow it apart. I also ask Madge if she knows any spells to protect us from the evils in this place. I then aim my spear at the clock face and throw.

Throndir

(You are 50 ft. away from the target, and will suffer -4 to your attack roll, if you want, you can move 20 ft. closer and reduce the penalty to -2 instead)
(I'll assume you move up closer?)
As the gruesome flashes assaulted you, you managed to resist it, steeling your nerves from the mental attack. The others with you seemed to fare just as well. However Patrissa, Tablark, and Halgrak clutched their heads longer, tormented by the images.

"Make it stop! Make it stop!" The half-orc Halgrak continued to yell.

When you gave out your commands, Madge only covered her ears, and yelled above the noise.

"If I were a cleric, I'd have spells! I told you! I'm only pick up some healing skills, but I am by no means a cleric!" She said outloud, trying to raise her voice above the clanging of the clock.

You moved up closer to the grandfather clock, raising your spear and throwing it straight at it.

(Roll attack roll: 1d20+8 against the clock. Then roll damage: 1d8+3

Status/Damage Taken
Aetius: 0
Madge: 0
Sir Rekkart: 0
Patrissa: 0, -1 Will
Malgrim: 0,
Tablark: 2, -1 Will
Killian: 6,
Halgrak: 2, -3 Will
Ebin: 3)

Throndir

Your threw your spear, and it hit its mark. You shattered the glass in front of the grandfather clock, and it thudded against the other side. The spear jammed the clock, but in that same moment Patrissa's spell fired, and a blob of acid came hurling towards the clock, melting the clock's face.

The ringing of the clock stopped, and the horrific images in your head disappeared as well. Patrissa, Tablark, and Halgrak specifically were still shaken. Though Tablark spoke up.

"If only I had me trusty axe. Don't ye worry, spirits can't touch us while Tablark is around!" Tablark said trying to cheer the group up.

"Aetius was the one who stopped it, dwarf." Killian said dryly. Before the dwarf could respond, Killian followed up.

"You did good my boy." He took another sip from his silver flask.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Alright everyone. I'm sure we're almost out of here, but I think we could all take a moment to gather ourselves and renew our spirit. We'll let whoever or whatever is in here that we will not be broken! Join me in a war cry!" I call my spear to my side and begin beating it against my shield first slow, then faster and faster and I yell. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhggggggghhhhhhh!"

Throndir

"Ahaha, that's it lad!" Tablark exclaimed as the dwarf began roaring as well.The usually serious Rekkart surprisingly joined in as well as he grinned. Killian raised his voice too raising his flash as he took another swig from it.

When it was over the mood was visibly lighter.

"I feel 300 years younger!" The dwarf said as he smiled. Patrissa and Madge smiled too. Though you noticed Halgrak was still skittish, Malgrin, sour as usual only looked on, while Ebin looked on almost bored.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Alright then. We'll go though those large double doors." I point at the largest doors in the hall. "Who's ready?"

Throndir

They nod their heads. The southern doors, the largest in the room was the exit. It was closed shut. And though it was evening, there was still some light outside. From the way the shadows looked between the cracks of the door, you assumed that the door was barred from the outside.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Before we get out of here I'm curious everyone. What's the plan? Do you want to split up or state together?" I also turn and ask. "Malgrim, do you think you can get that door open?"

Throndir

Patrissa smiled. "As much as this reunion was interesting, and being able to meet Varius' son. I'll be taking off."

Looking at the others, they nodded as well. Killian spoke up soon after though.

"We still have that business with the town hall after this my boy..." You noticed he didn't specifically say anything about the inheritance, you assumed he wanted to avoid the subject in the presence of these other people.

"Do what you want." Malgrim said. "Once I'm out of here, the Grindle Street Shades will find out whoever did this to me, and will suffer."

Sir Rekkart glanced at the hobgoblin.

"You are one of the most wanted criminals in the city Malgrim. When we're out of here, I'm taking you under arrest."

The hobgoblin glanced back.

"I'd like to see you try." But with that Malgrim went up to the door, and started trying to open it. The handles wouldn't budge of course, and even pushing it with all his might it didn't seem to move at all.