Episode 1 [All] - Reach for the Sky

Started by pringerbeam, October 26, 2018, 05:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

While waiting for the others to make up their mind, Jing decided to make use of some of his own resources. He started poking around on his deck. A simple search is all he wanted to accomplish.

[info] Jing is performing a matrix search test on Jackpoint to see if there is any information about what Ares could possibly be up to in the area lately or any new prototypes they may be working on. Deck is set up as D:6 F:4 A:1 S:1 with the Browse program (cuts matrix search time in half) and the signal scrub program (noise reduction of 2) running. Matrix Search is INT + Computers so dice pool of 10 for me. Limit of  6 (Data Processing) With Down the Rabbit Hole (rating 2) I need to roll two fewer ones to glitch.

[blockquote]Rolled 10d6 : 2, 6, 4, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 6, 1, total 29[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Matrix Search
     Will get back to you in a couple of in-game minutes. [/info]

Mysticsage

[info]judge intentions
[blockquote]Rolled 12d6 : 5, 1, 1, 5, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, total 40[/blockquote][/info]

Erynn

Before the arrival of the Johnson, Calista hears Zephyr mention that he thought he had seen her before, and as the Johnson entered the room, nodded in acknowledgment of his observation. She listened closely to what the Johnson was offering, as well as to what the Johnson didn't say. Then, a sudden realization struck her.

"I'm on board.", Calista answers, making light of the nautical nature of the mission with a quick pun and pirate theme, "Which boat's carryin' Ares' prized booty?"

The young ork turns to give Roderick an amused glance. The first real work he lines up for her, and it's straight up old-fashioned, piracy. Calista couldn't find the situation more entertaining if she tried. A grin slowly spread across her face as she considered whether or not to begin employing what would no doubt be a horrendous pirate accent.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mysticsage

"Well it looks like you've got yourselves a full team of runners sir." Zephyr said with a smile "we'll get this package for you come hell or high water." He gave Uruk a wink as he made the pun.

pringerbeam

The Johnson continues to stare at Steve, who by this point was starting to squirm with nerves under the gaze.  The Johnson pulls a comlink out of his pocket and tossed it onto the table.  "This comlink is loaded with a tracking program tied to a research component that has been tagged with a tracer.  You can track the location of the materials using it. The materials should all fit into a single standard sized cargo container.  Do not look in the container.  We will not pay for damaged goods and we will not tolerate tampering with the comlink or any of the research materials."   The Johnson shifts his gaze from Steve to Jing, currently using his deck, at this last emphasis.  "The comlink also contains the location to bring the boat to for rendezvous. Ares security force casualties are of no concern to us as long as you don't draw additional forces in pursuit.  Roderick will have your payment in escrow to be released upon conformation of the integrity of the goods.  Now, I've wasted enough time here.  Mr Roderick, we will need to talk.  I will contact you later." The Johnson turns and quickly limps out the door, slamming it behind him.
     Steve let's out an audible sigh after the door closes.  "God damn, what was with all the questions Zephyr?  I said this was big time shit. These guys play hardball.  Emphasis on the hard part.  Now I'm probably going to need to cut my fee."

[info]Judge Intentions
     The Johnson appears to have been honest in his voiced opinions of you. [/info]

Mysticsage

"Steve we've worked together before, and you had plenty of time to tell us to keep our mouths shut and warn us about certain things. I did my job as the face and didn't go beyond what that mandates," said Zephyr calmly. "If we have a problem we can talk about it privately when not in front of the crew. As for the difference in your pay, I'll take it from my cut if it makes you feel better, and as a sign of good faith. When the job is done all will be forgiven regardless." Zephyr refused to be aggressive or to put too much emotion in his voice he simply wore a solid mask. He knew that he was in the right here but he was now a member of a new crew and making a scene now would only rupture group dynamics further. To show fear in front of Johnson and then chew out a runner in front of the team really got under Zephyr's skin not that he let it show. He knew how to do his job and to be questioned otherwise was more than insulting.

"Is that tracker data intact Joe?" he said turning to the decker. "I can make a few calls In terms of getting the model of the freighter and possible security. "If you want to follow me out back steve we can hash it out now or you can send me a text when all this is over." The smile was gone and in that moment he was more then all business.

pringerbeam

"Hey man, you guys weren't even on his radar. He wanted a team with some real street cred to them.  I had to go to bat to talk you guys up.  Look we can talk about this later.  I need to go and put out this fire.  Let me know when you finish the job and we can all talk over the pile of nuyen."  He gets up from his chair and walks out the door.  Right before it finishes closing he sticks his head back in the room.  "Oh yeah, don't die out there!"  He gives you all a double thumbs-up before retreating down the hallway and out of earshot, the door slowly closing on its own behind him to leave you alone in the well sound-proofed room.  The noise of the bar is naudible to even the keenest of ears.

Asta

Anahera puts her hands on her hips and audibly cracks the joints in her neck before speaking.

"Well, lets get at 'er. Time being of the essence and all I need to go grab some gear before we do this so I'm gonna go make a quick stop. Jing, you want me to grab the van and bring anything you need as well? Call me when you guys figure out how you want to play this. I won't be long. If you leave before I get back lemme know where I'm headed."

[info]If nobody objects, Anahera is going to drive home quickly and grab her gear (listed below for GM transparency), as well as anything Jing may request (if he does so).[/info]

[info]Gear List: Ballistic mask (with mods), Backpack, gecko tape gloves, trauma patch (2), duct tape (1 roll), binoculars, HE grenades (2), crowbar, disposable lighter, micro wire, tool belt, her SMG (placed in cyberleg holster), katana, towel, loaded spare clips for the SMG (2)[/info]

Oath

"Sure thing. I could use my stuff, if you don't mind picking it up I'll keep looking into what information I can find on the matrix and keep an eye on this commlink as well. Just need my guns, my armor and my backpack. Jing didn't look up from his deck as he continued looking for whatever information he could find on ares' recent activity.

"I'll get to checking the specifics of the commlink in a moment, but I don't see why the Johnson would give us faulty equipment, he needs this job to be done even more than we do from the sounds of him."

[info]
when meeting back up with Anahera, I will have my pistol, my smg, armor jacket, lined coat, ballistic mask, and my backpack that contains 3 jazz, a flashlight, gecko tape gloves, a glue sprayer, glue solvent, and a tag eraser. [/info]

Erynn

"I dunno about this Johnson guys.", Calista begins, a mild degree of concern now evident in her voice despite earlier comedy, "This may seem like a dumb question, but if the package is the size of a cargo container, how were they planning to transfer it from one ship to another out on the Columbia River? Doesn't moving one of those normally require a big ass crane like you see at the docks?"

Calista waited to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing, hoping that it was just her being paranoid. The whole deal suddenly seemed like a set-up to her and had her questioning the intel they had been given. It was her hope that the team Roderick had just assembled weren't being used as somebody else' diversion.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mysticsage

"It's possible, but it only changes the plan once we are on the boat if things go sideways. Besides outside of that one container who knows what Ares might be carrying that might be worth stealing? I mean the softs downloaded into the mainframe of the ship alone would be worth it. Along with other possible shipments charts that would make a killing on the black market" he said glancing at Uruk with a smile. "Just go in with your eyes open to the risks and if we need to bail we bail."

"I'll pick up my gear in a bit I'm already wearing most of it under my clothes anyway. For now, let's see if we can't try to get a map of their route ahead of time. If there is a bridge or something we can use as an infiltration point that would be huge. I suppose the place to start would be to see if we can get the ship's registry and manifest. Tracking it down that way would be a huge difference. Let me see what I can find out."

[info]Rolling a basic city planning/ city knowledge to see what I know basically about the river and possible points of interest around it

Rolling Intuition + City planning
[blockquote]Rolled 8d6 : 1, 5, 3, 4, 3, 2, 5, 3, total 26[/blockquote]
[/info]

[info]I will also contact Lore to ask if she has the make and model of the most recent ships that ares could be using for that kind of cargo. If I could get a blueprint that would be ideal but if not the basic make and model is fine.

Let me know if I can just roll negotiation to see what it would cost
[/info]

[info]I'll also get my pistol and medical gear I was already wearing my chameleon suit under my clothes[/info]

pringerbeam

Zephyr
     Lore responds with an animation of a tip jar which somewhat obnoxiously bounces and jingles around on your screen and in local AR for anyone nearby to see and hear, overriding any mute function that might have been turned on.  After about 30 seconds of this a text message comes up on your com.   
QuoteLore: Hey Mr Tall Green and Handsom you know the rules.  Nothing in life is free.  I just so happen to have what you're looking for all for the cost of 900 nuyen.

The AR tip jar continues to make its presence known. You hear a thud through one of your apartment walls and a muffled cry of "turn that shit off!  People are trying to sleep!"

[info]Knowledge: City Planning
     The Ares arcology is located on the southern end of the downtown waterfront.  The first short stretch of river heading north would be in plain view and unsurpressed gunfire would easily be heard by anyone on the banks.  After this stretch the river passes under the massive bridge known as the Crossing District.  Under the superstructure is a slum called Troll Town where buildings extend into the river.  This area is not patrolled and it's a known fact that gunfire in Troll Town rarely ever draws attention.  Beyond this stretch the towers of downtown quickly give way to industrial zones which line the banks all the way to the Columbia, an area that is unlikely to be patrolled by the constanbulary at night.

You can feel free to negotiate with Lore. [/info]

pringerbeam

Joe
     Shortly after Zephyr and Valkyrie depart you finish your review of Jackpoint's archives for the last few months.

[info]Matrix Search
     There isn't much in the way of Ares intelligence recently that you can find.  A team did a smash and grab on some heavy weapons for the Russians last month but otherwise no one seems to know anything about any major projects going on at the arcology, at least as far as anyone has posted.[/info]

Oath

Of course it wouldn't be that easy. Jing sighs as he grabs the commlink that the Johnson had left for them. He didn't want to tinker with it, but it would be good to get an idea of where the materials were currently. He had no reason to believe that the Johnson wasn't honest with what the commlink did, but either way he'd have to check it out.

While he was at it, he sent a message to Roderick.

[okay]
Jing: Hoi Steve, that Zephyr fellow went running out to check something before I could get his contact info, Could you forward me his stuff? Gotta let him know what I've found out
[/okay]

[info] Jing looks over the info on the commlink that the Johnson left. I don't think any rolls are required but if so let me know and I'll throw the bones.[/info]