Suspicious Gaze

Started by Linwelin, June 22, 2016, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

[info]This is my first attempt at a "Mini-sode" mission. It will be very short, with low reward, and a varying experience gain based on the results of the mission. Consider these "Slice of life" moments for guild members.

Max players: 2
Base exp reward (Can vary between 50% and 200% depending on the outcome): 200 exp
Base gold: None
[/info]

Wandering down the streets of Ternadan, heading back to the guild after a mission along the coastline, you find yourself heading through the main plaza. A young woman suddenly runs over to you from a short ways away.

"Excuse me! You're with the Guild of Galas'nor, correct?" She meets your gaze with a pleasant smile and a hopeful look in her eyes. She's around 5'7", with long, wavy brown hair that reaches just past her shoulders; her eyes are green, and she has a fair complexion. Though you wouldn't exactly consider her a knock-out as far as looks, she was certainly a comely woman. You'd estimate her age to be in her late 20s. She noticed your guild emblems and happily continued. "Oh, good! I was wondering if you could help me with a...well an uncomfortable situation I'm in. You see, there's this man over by the fountain- oh, don't look! If he knows I've noticed him, and am talking with you about it, he may put his guard up." She has a brief panic about you almost turning around, then lets out a sigh of relief at preventing it, before going on with her issue. "He's rather unkempt, with ragged clothes and a worn hat. Very hard to miss. Well, it's been a few days now, and every time I run errands here among the stands in the plaza, his eyes always seem to follow me. I would have gone to the guard about this, but I feel that it wouldn't work out well. It's not like I want trouble." She kind of trails off in her speech at this point before picking back up. "I wanted to more casually approach the matter, but every time I've tried to confront him, he somehow or another avoids me."You can see she's rather flustered about that fact, and it becomes obvious that she's tried many times.

"Could you ask him why he keeps watching me? It's really begun to creep me out."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Lance

"Why, you've come to the right man-"

"Elf."

"...for the job," the elven magus finished whilst glaring at the raven innocuously perched atop his shoulder. "In any case, we'll be more than happy to look into matters for you. However, for now at least, you'll need a disguise."

The magus seemed lost in thought for a moment, as if perusing his options, when all of a sudden the raven beside him took off into the air. Unperturbed by the sudden development, however, the elf continued on. "Which do you prefer?" he asked the woman rather plaintively, as he began rummaging through his spell pouch. "Cross-dressing gorilla, brutish humanoid-elephant, or..."

[spoiler=THESE  ]

http://www.youtube.com/v/WvIy5j5ZZi0&autoplay=1
"Behold," Lyolf spoke, as he presented the most sacred of objects resting in the palm of his hand. "The most infallible of disguises."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lyolf-Uli Telepathic Communication]
Uli, mind looking into this for me?
Why?
Pretty please?
With a cherry on top?
Lyolf...
TWO cherries on top?
Alright fine, I'll see what I can find out.
Aww, you're such a dear.
...I'm already regretting this.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Actions]
Lyolf
Sense Motive check on Ms. Not-A-Knockout
Uli
Using perception to spy on man, get any more details about the situation, then relay it all back to Lyolf via their mind-link. Stealth check, if necessary.
[/spoiler]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Lance

[info]
Lyolf's Sense Motive: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 17 + 9, total 26[/blockquote]
Uli's Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 5 + 12, total 17[/blockquote]
Uli's Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+19 : 11 + 19, total 30[/blockquote]
[/info]

Linwelin

Though at first confused by offer of a disguise, and even more so by the suggested disguises, the young woman humors your suggestion. "I don't think a disguise is necess-" She cuts her statement short and clutches her stomach with laughter at the reveal of the final disguise. She takes a moment to wipe the slight tearing that welled up in her eyes. "I see the reputation of the guild members being unpredictable is true. Well, if nothing else, you've made me feel a little better. But no disguise needed, I simply wish for you to see what he wants. If it ends up being a dangerous situation, then maybe it will be...but my gut feeling says it won't be like that."

Lyolf's Sense Motive check
The woman is being completely genuine, there is not a hint of an ulterior motive or withheld information from her request. This seems to be an honest favor being asked of you.

Uli's Perception
Given the description you'd been provided, it was easy to find the man in question. He sat at the fountain in the middle of the plaza, and his gaze was most certainly resting on the young woman. He wore weathered brown clothing, as well as a leather, brimmed, brown hat. As it was from a bird's eye view, this was all you could really make out. But there was no doubt this was the guy.

Uli's Stealth
You're a raven. In a city. Flying over a plaza. Not only are you hard to detect, but even if anyone were to notice you, they'd pay you no mind.

[info]That stealth check will last until Uli breaks stealth, so no need to reroll until then.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Lance

The elven magus shrugged and put on the most infallible of disguises himself. "Then rest easy, dear lady!" Lyolf reassured his new client in his most serious demeanor. "I've got a plan and not just any plan but..."

[spoiler="THE plan."  ]http://www.youtube.com/v/dRpzxKsSEZg&autoplay=1
His hands already tracing faintly luminescent paths in the air and his eyes already aglow with the azure light of the arcane, Lyolf fell once more into the throes of arcane spell-casting. A flourish here, several random squiggly lines there, then Lyolf shouted the command word:

"Vérfliege."

And it was done.

Now under an invisibility spell of some sort, Lyolf's plan was finally ready to move on to its next stage. "Fret not! This invisibility spell coupled with that infallible disguise will ensure the man will never be aware of my approach!" The magus shouted quite emphatically, as he began moving "stealthily" towards the man, laughing maniacally all the while (and loudly at that).

"He'll never see it coming."

[spoiler=Lyolf's dialogue upon reaching the man]
"You there with the ragged clothes and worn hat!"
"Yes, you."
"Don't bother turning and looking around; you won't find me, for I exi-"
"Nope, I said not to look around."
"Wait, no stop."
"Stop that."
"STAAAAAHHP!"
"...are you done yet?"
"I SAID ARE YOU DONE!?"
"Yes..? Ok, great."
"Now you might be wondering who I am, something which I was about to explain before the sudden interruption!"
Lyolf stared invisible daggers at the man before him.
"I am... your conscience."
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Actions]
Lyolf
Standard: Casting Vanish
Move: Creeping forward towards Mr Ragged Clothes & Worn Hat
Free: Talking + Bluff check to convince the man that he is his conscience personified.
Uli
Free: Continued observation, immediately notifying Lyolf of any changes in the situation, and trying hard not to die of laughter.
[/spoiler]

Lance

[info]Lyolf's Bluff: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 18 + 10, total 28[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

[info]Lyolf to roll a stealth check as well. Though you're invisible, you're speaking. If he's able to pick out the source of the voice, and it seems like others are responding to it, he won't believe.

Also, considering there aren't exactly rounds (not combat) and it's a surprise. You don't need to worry about number of actions. You may use a second spell and such. Feel free to edit your post if you wish to change actions, considering there's not really a limit until you do actually TALK with him.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Lance

[info]Lyolf's Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+22 : 4 + 22, total 26[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

[spoiler]I always forget that Lyolf has a RIDICULOUS stealth.[/spoiler]

The woman blinks in sudden surprise, a gasp escaping her lips as you disappear. Unsure of exactly what has happened, she remains silent, but looks onward to see if any events unfold. You easily approach through the crowd, getting close enough to enact your plan without attracting the attention of others.

Upon speaking, you see the man whipping around in confusion, only to freeze at your statement to stop. He doesn't see you, and you've managed to stand close enough that you seemed to have convinced him.

"My conscience? But why are you suddenly so...bossy?" From then on, he's silent, convinced that you are, in fact, his moral voice. However, being such, he expects that you're internalized. It looks as though he's trying to converse with himself mentally. Which is a hilarious sight, but does not help you in the slightest as you are unable to hear his questions.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Lance

[info]And that's not even counting the +20 (moving)/+40 (stationary) bonus to stealth from invisibility :P. Also, your next post will be rather commemorative, Lin (that was your 1336th post just now). Make it count.[/info]

"All throughout your life, from your birth to your present self, I have been silently guiding you. Up till now, I've always been rather subtle in my approach, never directly making my intentions known nor forcing your hand should you disagree, however even I can no longer ignore this most recent situation!" The man's "conscience" suddenly yelled. "You must know that your continued observation of that particular woman is only bringing her increased discomfort."

"I mean, look at all the odd stares people are giving you now."

"How do you feel? That's what she has to go through every time you do what you do! So enough with the staring," the conscience rebuked. "Now is the time to act!"

"Go, run up to that woman and let your intentions be known for ALL the world to see! Do not hesitate! It's finally time to grab that bull by its horns and send it flying through the heavens! Refuse and you'll only make your conscious angry!"

"...You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Linwelin

The man had been intently listening, more out of shock than interest, until the moment you yelled. His expression started as a disbelieving smirk. After all, why would people be looking at him? They can't hear his conscience! But that smirk quickly faded to one of fear and embarrassment.

Everyone was looking at him...!

He shifted where he sat, pulling down the brim of his hat in an attempt to hide his blushing face. His conscience suddenly knew how to admonish him extremely effectively. He was confused. He was uncomfortable. He was squirming under the gaze of those around him.

Quote"How do you feel? That's what she has to go through every time you do what you do! So enough with the staring," the conscience rebuked. "Now is the time to act!"

At this point, the man was enthralled, whether it be from trust in his suddenly aggressive conscience, or fear in what such an out of control mental state could do. But still, he could not suppress panic. "I didn't mean it to be like this!" The man shouted, only causing more shock and staring. At this point, the once-bustling plaza was almost entirely quiet. The man had stood up, his gaze dead-set on the ground beneath him and his fists clenched in hesitation and frustration. "I wasn't trying to- Discomfort was the last thing I wished! I just didn't know how to ask..." He raises his head, a determined look in his eye. "I need to talk with her."

The man scouts the crowd quickly, then runs to the woman in question. He stops around five feet from her, and the crowd seems to part around him watching in confusion and anticipation. The man quickly bows. "I'm sorry!" There is a long, silent pause. The woman who'd originally asked for help was taken aback; she had not expected such a bold apology. "I did not mean to cause discomfort, I just couldn't take my eyes off you!" At this point, the crowd was leaning in, and the woman had a slight blush. he was now standing confidently, as unkempt as he was, and staring directly at her. Despite his appearance as a vagabond, and past actions, you started to have a bit more respect for him. Just a little.

He opened his mouth once more, which everyone knew meant he was to state his intentions. "Please!" The man bowed once more pleadingly, and everyone nearby held their breath. "Let me paint you!"

"I'm sorry, I already have some- huh?" She blinked a couple times.

"HUUUUUUUUUH!?" The crowd all voiced their confusion at once simultaneously.

"So you aren't in love with her?" A man voices from within the crowd.

"What? Love? No! I don't even know the woman! That'd be silly. But her looks, and the way she carries herself...they're captivating. I was inspired immediately. You see, I'm a traveling artist, and as you can tell, I've been down on my luck lately. It was then that I saw you." He turns and addresses the woman. "There was no way I could get over my slump without first painting you. I tried picking different subjects, but nothing shined in my mind as brilliantly as you. So, please, let me paint you!" He bowed once more.

The woman was flustered, obviously not having expected this turn of events. "O-Ok...if it means that much to you." She twirls her hair nervously.

The man raises his face, wearing the brightest, most childish smile on his face. It was a look of pure happiness. "Thank you, THANK YOU!" He ran up and grabbed her hands shaking them in appreciation. "My name is Alan. Alan Kuvon. It's a pleasure to work with you, Miss...?" He realized he still didn't know her name after all of this. The woman smiled, amused.

"Beumont. Karen Beumont."

"...Boring...I was hoping for something more interesting." One of the bystanders mumbled to themselves. It seemed everyone was in agreement on that.

The artist turned, looking somewhat upwards. "Thank you, you crazy conscience!"

Karen, raising an eyebrow at the artist's actions, suddenly remembered that she'd asked for the help of a certain, eccentric mage. "Where did he go..." She muttered under her breath, looking around.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Lance

"Thus, they painted happily ever after!" The elven magus cheerily expressed from a fair distance away. "Come Uli, our job here is almost done."

"Almost..?" Came the immediate reply, as the raven returned to its perch atop the magi's now visible shoulder. "The client's request has been met; what more is there to accomplish?"

"The sun is still high,
The crowd is not entertained,
And haiku bores me.
"

"I feel there still remains plenty for us to 'accomplish,'" the magus explained. "We must relieve my boredom. We must entertain the crowd. And most of all, we must BLOT OUT THE SUN!"

"The safety of the entertainment of this world's people depends on it!"

[spoiler=Actions]
I'll assume Lyolf's invisibility is already faded since it only lasts 30 seconds at his current level. Regardless, he'll be using that time to make some distance before casting silent image towards where Alan "Worn Hat" Kuvon is looking. The spell will create a flying bull that flies around for some time before exploding in a sudden light-show directly above the gathered crowd.

As for Lyolf, after casting the spell, he'll continue walking slowly back to the guild because...

http://www.youtube.com/v/Sqz5dbs5zmo
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Everyone's eyes light up at the...silent display of lights. It was awe-inspiring. But, only one individual saw the whole scene. Alan.

"A bull? A bull! I saw a sign! And I...have absolutely no idea what it means. Alan shrugs in confusion, then looks back to Karen. "Well, regardless, I'm so glad you agreed. I was anxious for no reason it seems. I'll meet you back here some time later this week to discuss it."

Karen giggles. "Of course, I'm happy to help, Alan. Though you should be careful with that anxious staring. I'd noticed lately, and it made me quite fearful and suspicious of you."

The man couldn't help but blush in embarrassment again. "I only realized that that would be the case a short while ago...I'm very sorry."

As they laughed it off, Karen looked around for the strange elf. Strange...he seemed to excited to help, but now he's nowhere to be found...well, no matter, it turned out well. I imagine he did SOMETHING to make this happen. Thank you, wherever you are, you odd elf.

[info]Mission complete!

Due to inventiveness of solution, and ending, total experience earned is 175% base experience!
350 experience earned! Added to sheet.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_