Understanding the game stats

Started by Linwelin, December 17, 2014, 02:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

Ok, so this topic is for discussing how this heavily homebrewed system should work.

As a small amount of background, we (Mystic and I) had originally started making this out to be based on the Dungeon World system. This left us unsure of character skills and, honestly, most of the game specifics. But as far as roleplay, it looked to be great. However, part-way through making it, it turns out a whole other fanbase was much further along, to the point of it becoming an official rulebook. It's still in the works, but supplied all the world setting and character info we needed.

We had thought about switching to this system, but as it's only partially made and seemed to be fairly complex, we decided to just take from it to further our own. Luckily, they used similar die systems, so it wasn't too bad. The problem was that to base stats and attributes were around 50% different. Thus I've been puzzling over a conversion for the sake of our RP. Now that I finally have a handle on it, I've put together a rushed spreadsheet showing my thoughts.

The Spreadsheet in Question

Please ask questions and make suggestions for how this should be run, especially since we're on the threshold of combat already (wasn't expecting it this quickly)

Note that the main reason we stuck with a Dungeon World base was because it was similar to D&D in setting, which almost everyone here is familiar with.

Now then...Log Horizon AMA...START! :P
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Weapons masters damage is too low in my opinion should be around a 10 if not 12

And mages should be weaker by nature maybe a d6 or 8 at max

Linwelin

Ah, ok. I just saw that most of them were rogue-like classes, and DW put those at d8. Definitely not d12 (their skills allow for high-multiples of their basic attack). I agree mages were too high though, didn't look at their skills well enough haha.

New setup is edited in. Weapon masters have the d10, and both healers and mages have d6
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]