Prologue: Green Sky

Started by Eireleen, November 08, 2012, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eireleen

The thunder could be heard throughout the forest, but here in the heart of the trees, little of the heavy rains reached the ground. The treetops drank up each drop with their leaves, their branches spreading out as if to rival the clouds.

Here, in the dark forest, a deer ran. Its legs expertly bounded over each root and avoided each rock, all four hooves beating the ground in unison with each hop. But no matter how skillful its retreat, it could not escape its pursuer.

A silver flash followed at its heels, its form little more than a blur. Its clawed hands dug into the dirt as they pulled its body forward, and its feet kicked up yet more with each push. The distance between the pale figure and its prey closed steadily with each passing second.

The deer jumped left and right around the trees, and the chaser followed every movement. Other animals, squirrels and birds, scattered in their path. And then, at once, the land halted, and the trees gave way to a stream.

The deer gave one final leap, its legs reaching out as it jumped clear over the small river. Its hooves almost touched the soil on the other side. But the silver blur jumped as well, and in midair, grasped hold of its prey.

They both hit the ground at the same time. And as they did so, the pale figure bit into the deer's neck with feral abandon. The prey struggled madly, bellowing as its blood sprayed. Its throat had been torn into, and the assailant's claws ripped through its chest and stomach. After only a few seconds, it stopped moving, and the wolf feasted on its flesh.

Even with a full moon in the sky, there was no light to cast upon the pale girl. She looked up to the leaves and branches above, blotting out everything that lay beyond. To her, it was as though the forest was its own world. The treetops were her sky. Had she remained as she once was, it would never have occured to her that there was anything else to see.

The deer's blood was warm. Though her teeth were sharp, they weren't suited to such a meal. A long snout, filled with jagged teeth, could tear the meat apart and consume it in a single motion. But now, she had to rip out the meat with her claws before she could bring it to her mouth. It made for a much messier dinner, but there was nothing that could be done about it.

The deer's blank face stared impassively outwards as its meat was pulled away and devoured. After a few minutes, the hunter raised her head. Forcing energy into her legs, tired from the hunt, she stood over its corpse. From this height, it seemed much smaller. She was amazed that this amount of meat used to be enough to feed an entire pack.

A week ago, she would have brought the rest home. But her home was empty now. She had only herself to feed. She couldn't eat the entire deer, but at the same time, she couldn't preserve it. It was wasteful, but she had little choice but to leave it there. The vultures and flies would finish the job.

For a long time, she simply stared down into its frozen eyes. Its pupils were wide in the shock of its last moments. With its neck only half attached, and its ribs and innards laid bare, it only laid there with its mouth hanging open.

She had ensured her survival for another day.

Linwelin

It all happened so quickly, washing over him like a jet of ice cold water. His head pounded as he staggered trying to keep himself on his feet, his sight blurred from the sudden mental strain. I doubt I'll ever become accustomed to the force of these visions...nor the content...who WAS that...or what?

Uthaal staggered into a clearing through the brush. He knew from visions a few months ago that he would find what Hesp willed him to in these woods. It had been a long journey from the western village he had taken residence near at the time, but he felt it was time to move on anyways, so the sudden calling to the other side on the land did not really upset him. Judging from the visions, he arrived not a moment too soon, they were strong.

He looked up to get a bearing on his surroundings, possibly to rest and care for his mental fatigue. Din'carak peeked out of Uthaal's pack, feeling the uneasiness in his friend. It was then that they both saw her. The being from the visions, covered in blood, blankly standing over a slain deer. Almost immediately, Uthaal was seized my more, stronger visions. There was no room to think, only to see. Wolves...loneliness...old druidic magic...Awakening...friendship...death...despair...loneliness...fear...

At this moment only one word was burned into his mind. A name. As his world spun and he began to collapse, he let out an audible whisper, "Argent..."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

The being was a beautiful sight. Though she was covered in blood, crimson stains soaking her clothing and blood streaming down her hands, there was an almost majestic quality to the sight that beheld the lone druid. Even the rain that threatened to wash away the stains did little to dampen the effect. More than the inherent beauty of the creature she resembled, the sight and even the ambience gave off an almost macabre splendor.

The spectators nearby had their own reactions. The snake hidden in the druid's pack hissed at the uneasiness of the situation and only grew more frightful as Uthaal collapsed unceremoniously to the ground; the fall making a deep sounding thud that was only drowned out in the rushing of the water flowing through the nearby stream. Uthaal himself, though he tried to hold on to his balance and thought, found that he could not.

The weather around them did little to lighten the effects. The rain was pouring hard, the small clearing above the stream only helped show this fact as the droplets splattered against the flowing water, each in turn creating their own smaller droplets cascading away from the impact point. As if to accentuate the point, a flash of lightning appeared above the high tree tops followed by the low rumbles of thunder.

It was a rainy night like no other, and as Uthaal's consciousness began to fade, the sights and sounds around him started to change and waiver. At this exact same time, a curious thing was happening, Argent too, felt the strange stirrings, though not as powerful or strong as the druid's. She saw, in her mind's eye, what seemed to be sorts of images or what can be better explained as
emotions assaulting her mind.

QuoteI'd like both of you to roll a will save. You can also roleplay out what had just happened if you like, (if there's anything more you can say).

Eireleen

Her ear twitched as her head turned. She might have expected a scavenger attempting to take what remained of her well-earned meal, or perhaps even a hunter. But she didn't expect to hear her name called. Only one person in the world had ever said her name to her. There was no one else that could even know it...

She saw him, collapsed at the edge of the clearing. The voice could only have come from him. She took a hesitant step back. She had been beset by hunters before in these woods. Of all the people she had met, only one had ever cared for or about her.

...But this person...knew her name...

She sniffed the air. The man's scent wasn't very different from that of the forest's, and any discrepancies had likely been washed out by the rain. She didn't dare approach so long as he was guarded by the snake. But at the same time, she couldn't run away from this. His whisper had only barely been audible, but her keen ears left no room for doubt.

"...Argent..."

She slowly spoke the name to herself, as though reminding herself that it was hers. Then, at that moment, she clutched her head. Something...she didn't know what it was, but something was rousing her. All of these emotions...all of these feelings...

She let out a growl at an invisible assailant. These useless things were alien to her. They were exactly what she had been running away from. But at the same time, she could do nothing to stop the torrent. She didn't understand what was going on, or what was happening to her. In an instant, her calm mind had been beset by a maelstrom.

Linwelin

Uthaal was barely conscious, but his strength was returning. The visions he had seen were pulling together. It was this wolf-girl's, Argent's, life, part of which as a wolf, then suddenly changes after meeting a druid. The druid somehow seemed familiar, but as a druid that wasn't too surprising.

Either way, there was no confusion about what needed to be done here, the emotions shared by the visions this time were strong and clear. She needed help. Help rediscovering herself, the world, and her place in it now that these abnormal events have happened. Leaving her alone was dangerous in many ways. Serpentstaff, I understand. You have my word that I will do all I can to aid this girl.

He was able to move him body now, though was still a little weak. This was the first time the visions were ever this strong. He looked over at her and saw the internal struggle she was experiencing.

"Your name...is Argent...born a wolf...and reborn through an Awakening...I am here as a friend...here to help..." He pauses, surprised at how weak he is. "Come closer...we'll talk you through that storm you're experiencing now." With that, he sits up slowly, turning to face her. Din understands through empathy, taking a non-aggressive stance.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Argent looked up to the man, her hand still clutching her head. Her red eyes gazed forward in astonishment, and her fangs were visible as her mouth hung open. "You...know me...?" She asked slowly in a breathless voice. She hadn't had any contact with people since she left the cottage. Even before that, her only contact had been with hunters.

She slowly edged closer. She still thought of people as being something dangerous, even though he seemed like he didn't want to hurt her. She crawled forward on all fours, eventually sitting down about two arm's lengths away, just out of reaching distance. Her body was tense, ready to bolt at the slightest warning. But for the moment, she stayed still.

"...Who are you?" Her heart had calmed for the moment. But she still didn't know what had just happened. As her consciousness cleared, and she got a better look at the man, she noticed how exhausted he appeared. She could smell the sweat on his forehead. And she noted his pointed ears, a trait she hadn't yet seen on any person thus far. "...How do you know me...?"

His scent wasn't one she found familiar. It seemed to intertwine with that of the woods, but at the same time, it was a unique smell that she would have recognized if she had smelled it before. At the same time, though...it reminder her of her father's.

Linwelin

He looked back at her intrigued, now able to see the details, "My name is Uthaal. I am a druid on a journey, tasked by Hesp, the god I worship. Thanks to the gravity of this task, I am given...visions of what I need to do. You were in a vision, along with most of your life. I honestly only just saw it now. I have been sent to help you, and I know now that your life as of late has been nothing but confusion." He takes a pause, realizing he might be speaking too much, saying too much at once. "I'm sorry, I tend to ramble at times. It's very nice to meet you." Uthaal then holds out his hand in a friendly manner.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Eireleen

Argent looked down at the man's hand with a perplexed expression. What was she supposed to do with this? She slowly leaned forward, sniffing Uthaal's extended hand, but nothing came of it. She leaned back into an upright position, staring back at him. The gesture confused her, but it didn't seem important. "...You saw my life...?" She asked, further confused. She didn't know how such a thing could happen, but he seemed to know much about her. She didn't have any alternative to place her belief in.

"...Hesp..." Argent repeated slowly. It was a familiar word to her. "Miervaldis...spoke of Hesp..." It was true. Ever since he had died, she had merely been wandering the forest. But any attempts to live as she did before were futile. She couldn't go back to the way she was before, but at the same time, she had no way to move forward to. She had been awakened to purpose, and left purposeless.

She did her best to listen, but she wasn't used to carrying conversations with strangers. She spoke very slowly, as she inwardly attempted to categorize the words the man used. Her own introduction had thankfully been taken care of, it seemed. "You want to help me...?" She asked, blinking. "How...?"

Linwelin

Uthaal was calmly listening, ready to answer any of Argent's questions, and kind of chuckling when she didn't understand a greeting handshake. Then he heard it.

Quote"Miervaldis...spoke of Hesp..."

"Miervaldis...Miervaldis!? THAT was the old druid's name!?" Uthaal had an amazed expression on his face. So he was familiar for a reason...that elder was was still alive all this time... "I knew that old man...he actually was my teacher for a while back in my home...oh he would be sad to see our home now...well, now I understand why I was sent to help you. If you'll accept me, I would be happy to step in where my old friend left off."

Uthaal let what he said sink in before continuing, "As for how I'll help you, I would be happy to be your friend, and help you through the tough times you're facing now. Since I'm traveling the land, it's a great way to see and learn about the world from your new point of view. I guarantee, it's not nearly as lonely as you have experienced."

Uthaal simply smiled back. Inside was much more intense. He was speaking with the last person that knew his old teacher. Even if Hesp had not told him to, this is one thing he would not have traded for any amount of personal gain. He was joyful, even through the pain of just learning his teacher had passed.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Eireleen

Argent pulled back as Uthaal raised his voice. It came as a surprise to her, but luckily for Uthaal, she didn't take it aggressively. "You knew him...?" She didn't know what her father's life was like before she had been reborn. He hadn't spoken much of it. But she knew that he used to live with other people. That much, he had spoken of. "Then...you were his friend..."

...He had been so lonely because he had been forced to leave his friends. Over the many years, that loneliness crushed his spirit until nothing remained. She had been his salvation. No matter how much she wanted to go back to her old life, as long as she understood what she had meant to him, she could never truly wish it all away.

Her tail swished left and right, as though mirroring her indecision. "We can...be together...?" A part of her was afraid. She had never left the forest before. Even as a wolf, she had been born here, and had hunted here her whole life. She didn't know anything about the world beyond the trees.

...But at the same time...what was left for her here?

As an animal, she would have been content to simply continue a simple life here, forever. But she couldn't do that anymore. She couldn't keep being alone like this. It had only been a week, and it was already tearing her apart from the inside. With each passing moment they spent next to each other, Uthaal's scent reminded her of him more and more.

Slowly, she nodded looking up to his face. "...I would like a friend."

Linwelin

Quote"You knew him...?"..."Then...you were his friend..."

Uthaal nods, "Yes, I knew him...I'm sure that proud old man didn't tell you much, did he? Well, I'd be happy to talk about my point of view on him when I knew him. He certainly was a good man, I was sad to see him go."

Quote"We can...be together...?"

Uthaal nods again, happy to see his outburst had not frightened her badly, "Yes, if you're willing. I know it's frightening. I remember when I was forced to leave my home due to strange circumstances. It may not feel right at first, but believe me, it's not bad to venture out. Plus, I believe it would do you some good. There's a lot to see."

Quote"...I would like a friend."

Uthaals understanding smile widened to a joyful grin, "Argent, you already have one." At this he begins to chuckle a little. "If you'll have me."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Eireleen

Argent looked up at Uthaal, and even though it had only been a week, she suddenly felt as though it had been an eternity since the last time she had seen a companion. She got up onto her feet, looking over his shoulder past where he had came. She didn't know what laid beyond there, and there was no way she could have expected what she was soon to see. But as long as there was at least one familiar scent, she could follow it through anything.

"I will follow you." She said simply, affirming their partnership with a firm nod. "...You may have the deer if you want the rest of it." She told him, referring to the slain animal from before, still at her feet. "I've had my fill of it."

Linwelin

Uthaal relaxed with the positive response, following her actions and gazes, trying to figure out what she was thinking. All that analyzing stopped abruptly when she offered him the deer.

Quote"...You may have the deer if you want the rest of it. I've had my fill of it."

There was a slight pause as he looked over at the deer, then he burst out laughing. "I believe I've found the first thing I need to teach you, though I'm not sure you need it. Cooking your meats." With that he grins happily and gets to his feet, walking over to the deer to inspect it. Seeing there's a good amount of meat left, he turns to Argent, "How about we celebrate our new friendship over a warm meal and fire. I bet the both of us could use it."

As he's beginning to carve the deer meat, a thought occurs to him, "How long has it been since Miervaldis passed? Could we perhaps visit his grave before we leave?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Eireleen

"...This is the eighth night." She replied, downcast. "...He would cook things for me, sometimes...but I never learned to do it myself." She herself felt a small amount of surprise that it really had only been eight nights. It felt like it had been forever since the last time she had eaten with anyone. Cooked meat tasted far different than raw. To be honest, she wasn't sure which she preferred - but she knew that cooked meat was something she was rarely granted. In truth, she hadn't expected to ever have cooked meat again.

"...I can take you to his grave." She had buried him herself. He had requested it when he knew that his time was near. To be buried was to be returned to the earth. As a druid, he wished for nothing more.

Linwelin

Uthaal sees Argent's sadness at his question when she answers. "I'm sorry, my curiosity may have gotten the better of me asking that. We'll save that for tomorrow. Tonight, we feast!" Right as he says this, he manages to light the campfire he had constructed while talking. He then takes his time to start skewering the meat and setting it over the flames. Once everything is set, he sits back and smiles over at Argent, then back at the fire.

"So while we wait, tell me about yourself. What do you enjoy about life? Or if you like, we can simply talk things out about how life will be. I'm sure you have some questions, though I'm not sure whether you're ready to ask." He chuckles a bit, in a light, disarming way.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_