Into Town She Rides

Started by Valiancy, December 09, 2015, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiancy

Vahn shrugs and finishes off his ale. He becomes distracted by a chip of wood peeling up on the table and picks at it. "Accomplishments, hrmm...? There aren't many that come to mind, really. I just send bad people to Judgment." He pulls the minuscule shaving from the surface of the table and speaks solemnly, "Alive or dead."

After the distracting splinter is gone he seems to perk up a little. "Of course there's always varying degrees of good and bad, and redemption is always possible if accepted with an open heart. With that, I can't really hate anyone. At least until they give me reason to."

The Paladin of Iomedae has his hands clasped together on the table, his back arched as he leans in. His eyes are connected with Vladi's and, although warm and welcoming, seem distant.

I've been slacking. I should be out fighting, doing something. My mentor would be disappointed.

Vahn rests his chin on one of his hands, still sitting up attentively. "Any more questions? Or do I get to hear about my financial savior?"

Linwelin

"I guess I have asked enough for now..." Vladimir says, laughing nervously and finishing his own ale. "And me? Well, I'm not particularly the most interesting person out there. I'm with the Guild of Galas'nor based here in Ternadan, and work as a blade for hire, scout, or infiltrator. That's my skill set. I've lived in the hall for about a year now, but am far from its strongest member. It's a well-respected establishment in this town." He smiles

"But you want to know about me, specifically? Well, I'm from the northern plains across the sea, a fairly mountainous area, but good farmland. I..." Vladimir paused a moment, lowering his head, realizing what he had to say next after going that far back in his life.

...Liliana...Soren...I'm so glad I can still remember your faces after all these years.

His expression moves from pained, to wistful, to a gentle sadness. "I...I lost my wife and child to a string of mishaps, and have not returned home since." He was silent for a moment, recovering himself. He took a deep breath and continued. "I've since traveled across the sea and wandered these lands north of the desert. Being from the north, I'm not too fond of intense heat, so I've not gone south yet. I've lived among the cities in these plains and river lands in various styles for a good chunk of my life, and now live here." He looked up to Vahn and smiled. "It's been a good year here, and I've been treated well. I don't plan on traveling again any time soon. Well, unless guild work calls for it."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Valiancy

The continuing murmur of the pub maintains a jaunty atmosphere, but the elf wears a forlorn expression. "I'm sorry. I want to help you. I want to be able to wash away that pain. But..." He raises his head and smiles. "We have to live with our burdens and it would be unfair of me to disallow your mourning."

Immediately after finishing that statement, he shakes his head and darts his eyes down.

No Vahn. Let him deal with his own toils. You can't help everyone, you can just kill every slaver!
A peculiar grimace spreads across his face as he continues with his thoughts.

How many slavers are in the world, I wonder? Is there a Slaver's guild or something where I could find a headcount..? Hmm.

Linwelin

Vladimir gives Vahn a wistful, appreciative smile. "There's no need to trouble yourself friend. There's nothing to wash away, I came to terms with it years ago, but I just prefer not talk of it. But you told me enough of yourself that I thought it fair I share equally." He pauses thoughtfully before moving the conversation along. "Well, it's been a pleasure, but I must be going. The determination of your story has made me realize that I'm lounging in a bar when I should be putting myself to good use. Maybe the mission board back at the guild hall has something up my alley...I'll let you get back to your business. Thank you for saying as much as you did. A person with a blunt, honest personality is rare these days. It was a refreshing conversation."

All be it odd. Vladimir thinks to himself, still not entirely sure that "he" is a he.

Vladimir stands up and offers his hand in a farewell, before turning to head out the door.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Valiancy

Vahn shakes the gentleman's hand and follows him out of the bar to unhitch his elk and continue with the journey.

Hart perks his head up from the water trough, muzzle still dripping, and bleats towards Vahn. The elven man laughs and pets the beast before untying the lead and turning to Vladimir.

"Be safe, friend. Maybe our paths will soon cross again." He says while launching himself onto his mounts back in one well-practiced leap.

I have no place to sleep tonight, and can't pay for an inn. Job time~ Hart moseys forward at the rider's behest to the merchant's stalls. The saddle leather creaks when Vahn leans down to speak to one of the tradesmen,
"Excuse me, good sir. Would you need a bodyguard or any hired help?" Rejection from one salesman sends him to the others nearby with his query. The question is repeated a multitude of times  before one fellow beckons Vahn over.

Finally! I was getting anxious.

Vahn pulls up on his stag and dismounts. Maybe the others thought I was too pompous staying on my mount?

The merchant that called for Vahn's attention smirks, "I'll pay you for a job. It includes a bed, and a night with me"
Vahn smiles and speaks happily, "Oh, so you need a bodyguard?" His genuine obliviousness confuses the merchant in to leaving.
"So....You don't need a bodyguard?" He calls after the departing merchant, fairly dismayed. After shaking his head to shake off his disappointment he scans the horizon.

Maybe I can get a job from that guild Vladi spoke of. But what does the building look like? Where is it even in this city? The hustle and bustle of the crowd surrounds Vahn as he stands there with his elk trying to get his bearings.

Linwelin

You suddenly get an eerie feeling as you walk down the road, your skin beginning to crawl slightly. Then suddenly the feeling disappears as a voice calls out beside you, emerging from an alley.

"Randomly asking established merchants if they need protection? You're a strange woman- no wait." An older gentleman, probably in his seventies, wearing a robe and a long, white beard approaches during your bids for work, squinting his eyes in scrutiny at you. "A strange man!" He gives an accomplished grin. "You won't get work as a bodyguard that way here. Merchants are shrewd people, taking little risk unless necessary. None will take a stranger for a bodyguard job when they can just as easily access one of the multiple guilds in this city. Take it from a merchant." The man chuckles. "You'd have more luck being a side show act with that lute and that elk of yours! And a beautiful elk it is, too. I haven't seen one like that in decades. Keep that one close and safe." Continuing his smile, he gives a knowing look, his eyes sharp despite seeming so weathered and weary.

"Yes...like that you'd suit that bunch. Seek out the Guild of Galas'nor. Your elk will be safe there, and their style will fit your eccentricities." He gives a sharp exhale in satisfaction at his appraisal. "Follow the road toward the center of town. You'll know it when you see it...yes, I do believe it's fate." Without any other words or acknowledgements, the man simply left.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Valiancy

After shuddering sufficiently he mounted on the overgrown cervidae and rode along the center road, still turning the heads of villagers and merchants along the way.

I do hope that old codger wasn't misleading me. But a random lead from a...more than creepy stranger is better than no lead at all. I need this. I need to eat, you need to eat, and we're too tired to forage for hours for a tiny amount of food.

"Yes. We will be able to rest soon. Real rest. I know it.
With a quick spur they sped up to a canter, the Elk bellowing loudly out of excitement of the promise of rest. The weary paladin smiled in relief as an impressive building rose over the horizon, and charged his dear mount forward.

Linwelin

"Vahn?" A familiar voice calls out from the right, having emerged from around the building. You recognize it to be Vladimir, the man you'd just meant moments before. He soon broke out in to a chuckle, "Who would have thought our paths would cross this soon! What can I help you with? Looking for the Guild?" The man points behind him at the hall.

It was definitely a surprise to see the paladin so soon. Vladimir had actually seen the man approaching a ways off, and purposely waited until he could figure out an approach. He had to be wary around him, for safety's sake. Finally, he'd decided it was best to approach casually, since Vahn wasn't actively trying to kill him for his existence. Not that he was aware of Vladimir's condition yet.

He still kept a light smile on his face despite his thoughts, hoping this was another paladin he could befriend, and not be hunted by.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Valiancy

Vahn easily startled at the unexpected voice. (S)He pulled back on the reins abruptly, forcing his (her) elk beast to come to a screeching, clumsy halt. Once still, it turns it's head and looks back at him (her?). That is not that face of a pleased elk! The blushing elven (wo)man sunk his (her) head a little between his (it's) shoulders.

"Uhh.. Yes. I am- Thank you. Yes. That- Yeah that's what I needed. Thank you. Vladimir, right?" Stammered words seep from the paladin's soft, dainty lips. With an annoyed bellow the elk shakes it's head restlessly and looks at the man before them. Two small steps towards Vladimir, before leaning it's muzzle in for a good ol' sniff and nudge.

Linwelin

"Yes, Vladimir. And-?" The elk's muzzle plants itself against the man. "I believe it was...Hart? Good to see you again, too." He says with a smile, lightly scratching behind the ear, then petting down the neck briefly. He looked back up at Vahn, still unable to believe that he was looking at a man from his actions, and recognized the flustered expression. "Ah, I'm sorry, I must have startled you. Anyways, come in! We'll head to the stables with Hart, then head inside for business." Vladimir motions back in the direction he came from.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_