[Closed/Vladimir] Revisiting the Past

Started by Linwelin, May 04, 2015, 10:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

After a certain deception and misunderstanding in the guild hall, Vladimir was left without a home for around a week or two. Returning before that could spell death for him, after all. He sighed at the turn of events. "Honestly, how did such a situation ever come about? Who tries to force-feed someone garlic!?" He rustled through his hair in frustration before finally resigning to fate. Instead of fretting about the ordeal, he would make the best of his free time. He had decent funds at the time being, and two weeks afforded him time to travel. "Now where would it be good to wander to? Hmm..." He began walking to the city gate as he thought of his options. However, before going into the open, instinct told him to disguise himself. He quickly replaced his circlet with a hat he'd dug out of his bag. Upon wearing it, the methuselan suddenly took the form of an older man, with grey, balding hair and a commoner's outfit. Note, he wasn't decrepit in this form, actually, he seemed fairly strong. It made him look like a weathered traveler, which was perfect.

This hat of disguise really does have its uses at the strangest times... He remarked mentally as he began to head to the crossroads. He made sure to pay attention to the rumors of passers-by, hoping to get hints as to where was best to travel nearby. Though as he listened, a thought occurred to him. Isn't that port around here...? Ah, what was the name...Right! Gelon! The port town of Gelon.It'd been decades since he'd been there. Well, mostly because he'd been chased out after he was found out to be a vampiric creature. But the way he parted from them wasn't without regret. He yearned to know of the well-being of those he left behind. Until that day, it had been a very pleasant life there. "It's been what...? 50 years, now?" Vladimir smiled wistfully. "Yes, that will do. Worst case, I'll flee once more. I'm skilled enough to avoid bloodshed now." Vladimir had made his decision. Though, having been half a century since he'd ventured that way, he ended up asking for someone to point him in the general direction. Much to his surprise, it seems it had become quite an established port, and was along the main road.

The trip was actually quite nice. It had been a while since Vladimir had traveled alone, and though he did miss being with a group of comrades-in-arms, the solo journey was still refreshing. It was much easier to move at night, so he made it to the town in record time. Upon arriving, he was in for a surprise; the town really HAD grown. What was once a small, rural port of little renown was now bustling with activity. He couldn't make heads or tails of the town with all the development that occurred. Well of course it would be developed...it's been 50 years. He slowly made his way through the town; though it was not the size of Ternadan, it was by no means small any longer. Despite the size and difference from his memory, he was not lost. Or more, he knew what he was looking for in the maze of a town. 'Symons Jewelery'. It was the the establishment of the only family he'd had a close connection with while he lived here. The daughter had always gone to him for sagely advice about the man she loved, or what to do with family matters. In return he received a basket of random living necessities. Truly a sweet girl, with a big heart. One that he'd tried to protect, but only ended up shattering when she saw his true form. Nonetheless, he still wished to see her and hers, if no one else.

Finally he reached the location of the corner shop where their family jewelery shop had been. It was no longer there, instead replaced by a bakery. But this was his only clue, and he was not about to give up. "I've been on the road a while...worst case, I get a bite to eat." He says to himself as he pushes the door open.

"Welcome, traveler! What can I get for you?" A middle-aged man yells out from behind the counter.

"Good evening! Hmm...I'll have a venison pie, and a mug of ale."

The man nodded, but saw Vladimir leveling his gaze at him, "...Is there something else, sir?"

"Ah...my apologies. But yes, I do have a question. I was looking for a woman by the name of Heather Symons. I believe this was once owned by her family. Do you possibly know of her whereabouts? I've a message for her." It was a partial lie, but he knew he needed a reason to get a truthful answer.

"So you're playing the courier, are ya?...Heather, is it? That name rings a bell." He took a moment as he heated up the meat pie. "Ah yes, that's why it sounded familiar. She ended up with a fairly large sum of gold through proper investment, and is now living in some out-of-the-way house up the cliffs with her family."

Vladimir lit up, as this was better news than he'd expected to receive. She's still alive. And in town! And has a family! Excellent!

"That's wonderful news! I was afraid she'd left town, or something foul had played out. It has been many years since I last had been here." The man smiled back at Vladimir, then struck up conversation with him as he ate. Vladimir ended up telling the adventurous tales of his 'client' (which was actually himself, were he not still disguised as an older man), lighten the mood before finally heading out. It was already fairly late, however, so he decided to spend the night at a nearby inn and visit in the morning. It was hard to sleep due to the anxiety of it all.

Does she fear me? Does she forgive me for lying that whole time? For leaving? What's her family like? Should I stay in disguise after all? Thoughts were shooting through his head rapidly, and it was hours before he finally got to sleep. Surprisingly enough, he rested well, most likely due to the long time traveling.

The morning greeted him well enough, and he was sure to leave before the town became too busy. With his magical hat donned once more, he made the trek up the cliff-side, toward where the baker had mentioned. As he moved along, he realized the pathway seemed a bit familiar. It was only when he saw the house that he knew why. ...That's my old house! Heather and her family were living in the house he'd once resided in, and he was standing in the very place that he'd been confronted and ousted from the town. It was...and indescribable sensation. All he knew is he was uncomfortable. Why would she purposely retire here? From the sound of it, she had plenty of gold to live elsewhere.

As he approached, closer, he realized there was a young boy playing in the grass just in front of the house. He was swinging a wooden sword at imaginary foes, fighting some sort of grand battle. Without realizing it, Vladimir had ended standing and watching from a distance for some time. Long enough that the boy realized he was there, looking somewhat embarrassed. He quickly ran inside for safety from the stranger, and soon after an elderly couple made their way defensively onto the porch. They eyed him for a moment before the man spoke, his hand on a dagger at his belt. "I don't know you, and can tell you're not from here. What do you want?"

It was a fair reaction. The area up on the cliffs was distance enough from the city that they knew not to trust strangers at their doorstep. Vladimir nearly got cold feet, realizing he had to keep up a facade. "I've got a message from some fella for a Heather Symons?" He prayed to all the gods that his acting, however poor, paid off.

The lady behind the man stepped forward and spoke, "This is she. Who sent you?" Vladimir's features lightened slightly. That she truly was well was a blessing in his eyes.

"A man who said he knew ya, named Ludwik." It took everything he had to not falter his words. He needed to see how they reacted. They both pondered the name for a moment, as though grasping their distant memory for the name. Suddenly it dawned on them.

"It couldn't be...Vladimir...?"

"No way..."

They both turned to face the disguised methuselan. "What's the message?" This was unexpected. Vladimir had thought they would turn him away upon hearing his name. He was sure of it. After all, he only wished to see if those he knew were well. He honestly had no message. I must think of SOMETHING.

"...He simply sends his regards, hoping that I found you well and happy. He's found a home at last. One where he can act openly. In a good way. That's all." They couple had a expression mixed with relief and disappointment.

"...Nothing else? Did he say where he was? Is he close?" Heather spoke up with a sort of hopeful sound to her voice.

"You act like you wished to see him. He'd given me the impression that you'd parted in a less-than-favorable way?" Both turned their gaze downward, going silent. After attempting to raise their voices once more, the man finally spoke up.

"...We certainly did. But it was wrongly so. His parting words proved true, and his person was genuine. So we wanted to apologize to him if we ever got the chance...and thank him. Without what he'd done, we probably wouldn't be here. Even if he doesn't realize that himself. Besides." The man said, pulling out the dagger to show. "I never did thank him for my birthday gift back then."

Vladimir's eyes grew wide. That was the knife he'd presented before leaving. Then...Oliver...? He collected himself once more.

"Let me make sure of this once more. Despite whatever hardship caused you three to part, you want to meet him once more?" They both nodded without hesitation.

Heather once again pleaded, "So please, if you have any idea where he is...won't you let us know?"

Vladimir stood silently for a time, returning their hopeful gazes with one of scrutiny. "I suppose I could point you to him." He finally said, with a slight smile. Then, after a moment of hesitation, he removed his hat, the illusion shattering and showing him as himself once more. Vladimir Ludwik. The couple was struck speechless, so Vladimir spoke first.

"I'm glad he liked the necklace, Heather."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]