First Quiz

Started by Throndir, December 25, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

The first bell had rung, signaling the start of a new year at the Xan Academy. Students began pouring in, chatting to themselves, and greeting each other as they got reacquainted with old friends the year before, or even getting to know those they didn't quite recognize.

"W-well... O-okay class..." The teacher said anxiously as she looked at the students.

"J-just a bit about me... My name is Ms. Firestart and I will be your assignments teacher for the year..." She seemed to fidget a lot, and it was easy to tell that their teacher was shy. "You might remember me from the year before, I was a student teacher then." She breathed in deeply before continuing, it looked as if she were gathering her courage, or something similar.

"Let's please make this year be a good one!" Once she said that she gave a quick bow to her students, a bit flustered but she quickly regained her composure.

"I know this is sudden, but lets start with a quiz! Lets review what we learned the year before everyone." When she finished, she breathed in deeply again. She then began passing out sheets of paper to everyone; the quiz.

When the quiz was handed to you did a quick scan of the questions. It looks like it was divided up into four main parts. The first being general knowledge questions, the second about medicine, the third about Pok?mon, and the last part dealing with technology. However, to your horror these questions looked absolutely difficult. You don't even remember if you had been taught some of the questions on the sheet, though you could certainly try your best.

You notice that the teacher looked tired, as if she had spent a great deal of energy. She had a blue sheet of paper in her hands, looking it over, then quickly switching back and looking at the quiz in front of her. She did this a couple moments longer, as if she was comparing the blue sheet of paper to the quiz. Her eyes scanned each of papers in return, and in the end she had a look of satisfaction on her face as she placed both the remaining quizzes and the blue sheet of paper on her desk at the front of the room. She sighed deeply again, then sat on her chair patiently.

You noticed that there were some others in the class that looked as if they had no idea what to do with the quiz. However, there was a student next to you that looked as if they knew what they were doing, already they were answering the questions on the sheet with no trouble at all.

Ms. Firestart continued to smile. Though it looked forced. She looked completely drained of energy.

QuoteEvery player must succeed at least two skill checks. Regardless of the result, players are given something:

Fail Reward:
1 Trainer EXP
$100

Succeed Reward:
1 Trainer Exp
$500

Extra rewards for creativity, or good roleplaying.

Burdenking

Oreah had been staying in her own corner of the class room, not wanting to even bother talking to the various League region people who had chosen to attend Xan academy along side her. While she was quite experienced when it came to pokemon fighting, she knew a background without a reputable referall would get her very little in the beuracracy of the league. If she was to make a change and save her culture, she would have to bite her tongue and simply breeze through this acadamy quickly and then return to focusing on her more..."extracurricular" activities.

When the teacher began to speak, any respect reserved for the sensei was immediately thrown out the window due to her shy and weak demeanor. She did not due so due to a hate for shy people, but a person of authority was supposed to be confident and strong, two things this woman apparently lacked. The relative challenge of the school seemed to weaken further, and the thought of graduating early was even more present in Oreah's mind.

She leaned back in her chair and smirked, confidence welling up as the quiz was handed out. She of course would have no problem acing this quiz. She was from a family of trainers, a veteren of the war, and......she had no idea how to answer any of these questions

Panic set in as she reread the questions, and only deepened to despair as terms she knew nothing about repeatedly attacked her. She couldn't fail now, not after all that talk of just striding on through, but all these questions were beyond her. Oh, why did she never focus on her studies instead of physical training?

Then calm rested upon Oreah's head, and she took a deep breath as she examined the quiz. She may not know these answers of hand, but maybe she could still pass if she used her experience and knowledge of other areas to supplement any education she was expected to have.

She briefly noted the person net to her, and their relative ease with answering the questions. She briefly considered using that person to gain the answers, but then shook her head. No, she would do this under her own power. She could do this, and she would. And this first step would begin her conquest of this education system, and the league itself!

QuoteQuestion one: Explain the differences between Full-contact battling,  and League sanctioned battling, as well as stating the Legal limits of both.

Oreah's calm doubles, as she now is able to begin putting the dots together. She may not have had a formal education on the subject, but her combat experience might just be enough to figure out the answer to this questions, and maybe the rest of the test.

Picking up her pencil, Oreah Gets to writing, figuring out her answers as she went along to answer the questions.

[spoiler]I will be using the Combat, Command, and Edu.Technology skills to attempt to pass the tests. Combat will be used for the Pokemon and medical portions, tech for tech, and a combination of all three for the general knowledge questions.

Pokemon portion: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+4 : 3, 1, 5 + 4, total 13[/blockquote]
Medical: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+4 : 4, 6, 3 + 4, total 17[/blockquote]
Tech: [blockquote]Rolled 2d6-2 : 1, 6 - 2, total 5[/blockquote]
General: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 6, 4, 5 + 3, total 18[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Burdenking

[spoiler][blockquote]Rolled 3d6-2 : 4, 6, 4 - 2, total 12[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Once the test was over, Oreah let out a sigh, exhausted after that stressful experience. Turning the quiz over to indicate she was done, she leaned back, closing her eyes and letting the sunlight from outside the window warm her as she awaited her judgment with baited breath.

Lance

This was ridiculous. Completely unforeseen and unwelcome, this unnaturally difficult quiz of theirs immediately put Aran on a slightly sour moud, as he leisurely perused the offered documents while reclining comfortably in his seat. Despite himself, the young man scoffed at the sheer absurdity of the situation. After all, for a supposed practical-application-over-books-and-reading academy to present the new students with some difficult paperwork be-

...Wait. No, that was wrong. Xan academy did prioritize practical appliance over "higher learning," unlike the many other academies dotting the land. In fact, that was what drew Aran to it in the first place. After all, theories and fancy words aren't as useful as first-hand experience; For what use was there in learning how to battle to someone who's already fought on the front-lines. But then there lies the conundrum.

If such was case, then what was up with this latest ordeal? Surely they couldn't expect the new-comers to overcome such an arduous quiz; there must be another way, Aran thought as his eyes scanned the room: several stragglers desperately wracking their minds for clues, some cringing in fear, others unsteadily writing down their best guesswork, and one, and only one (that he had noticed at least), was answering the questions with a confidence and gusto akin to a fat man and spaghetti.

A lurker, he briefly wondered while looking at the individual through the corner of his eye. Certainly, lurker or not, that individual represented one possible solution to his dilemma. It would be a simple, easy task to... liberate him (or her..?) of the answers to this ordeal. But unfortunately, Aran was not so simple.

He had been eyeing his new teacher intensely throughout her introduction and directions. The man was certain there'd be some clue either in her mannerisms or speech-something, anything that he could grasp at and understand. Eventually, after her short speech was done and away with, her eyes consistently darted back and forth towards a certain blue-colored object laying innocuously on her desk.

As to what it was and what it contained mattered little to Aran at that point. It was his only clue. And he wanted it.

Instantly, his mind went into overdrive: What was that blue parchment? An answer sheet? The test itself? Where could he find some blue paper himself? The art room? Where was it? Could he find it in time? How long would it take for him to forge a replica? Would the current teacher be fooled if he just merely turned it over? Anyways, what's with the teacher? She ill? Physically or mentally? ...Both? As she's formerly an inexperienced student teacher, was her inexperience itself a part of the test? Could I somehow take advantage of that..? Just what were we, the students truly allowed to do or not do?

Hundreds of questions appeared in Aran's mind over the next precious few seconds, as he deliberated over his options. Finally, after a grand total of ten seconds passed since the passing of the quiz, Aran decided to try his luck and stood up swiftly, back straight, and hand diligently raised-the likeness of a model student.

"Ms. Firestart, ma'am," he began. "If you are feeling unwell, it may be best if you take a quick breather outside. Personally, I've heard that the drinks sold down at the lobby vending machines are a real blast for this kind of thing and, anyways, I believe I represent the class when I say we wish for your best health."

"After all, we are all eagerly awaiting your coming lessons and you would perform your duties most splendidly if you are at your top shape. Furthermore, the unease you are feeling now is completely normal for emerging young talented teachers such as yourself-which is nothing a short breather can't fix! And don't worry about us."

"As proud students of the prestigious Xan academy..."

"I'm sure we'll do just fine."

[spoiler=Actions]
Using guile:
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+6 : 5, 3, 4 + 6, total 18[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

kai927

Myra was aghast at the contents of the quiz that they received right there at the start. She noticed a couple of other students having no real difficulties with the test, which worried her a bit. Did she forget this stuff over the break? She went through the questions again and still had no idea. What would she do?!

Myra shook her head. It was the first test after all. Even if she did poorly, there would be plenty of time to make up for it in the future. With that in mind, she went over the questions, starting with a couple essay questions, while trying to ignore the rude guy that was talking during the quiz.

Focus: This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 3d6+3 : 1, 3, 2 + 3, total 9

After that, the next two sections were all multiple choice. And those were easy to do. There was a surefire way of completing those style of questions. Closing her eyes, she hovered her pencil over the first multiple choice question, then dropped it down. Opening her eyes, she fills in the bubble that the pencil landed on. B. C. A. A. D. C. B. B. B. A...

Intuition 1: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 4, 5, 3 + 3, total 15[/blockquote]
Intuition 2: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 6, 1, 5 + 3, total 15[/blockquote]

Now the last section, Pokemon Knowledge. Well, if it wasn't a ghost type, then she wasn't very knowledgeable about them, but let's see how many she can finagle a ghost relation out of. With that, she set out to finagle the quiz.

Education: Occult [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 5, 2, 4 + 3, total 14[/blockquote]

Mysticsage

Garret looked over the quiz and could not help but give a small smile.  His parents had kept him in school to the age of sixteen because of his health and now it seemed to be paying off. The topics covered by the quiz were almost entirely in his wheelhouse. As he began answering each question he could not help but quietly thank his family for being such bibliophiles. His elder sister had even done an internship at the academy because of the extensive library here. It was by her recommendation that he had put the full force of his will in trying to get accepted iinto the academy and now here he was. Beating the monster that would be his first victory of his academic career. With his confidence briming over he quickly answered the rest of the questions then turned the paper over. He did not want someone trying to cheat off his answers thst would just be well inexcusable.
[spoiler]Gen Edu
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 3d6+2 : 4, 3, 5 + 2, total 14
Medicine
Rolled 3d6+2 : 6, 5, 6 + 2, total 19

Pokemon
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+2 : 1, 1, 2 + 2, total 6[/blockquote]

Intuition for tech
Rolled 2d6+4 : 6, 3 + 4, total 13[/spoiler]

As he finished however he looked up to see one of the students chatting with Ms Firestarter, but he was to far in the back of class to actually hear what he was whispering. Watching the flustered teacher attempting to think of a response to whatever he was saying made him feel some what uneasy. She looked like she might just feint if the knocked her over. He wondered if she had spent time with his sister Yomiko while she was training. Most people did not realize they were related though until they saw the both of them in the same room. His sister was an over protective klutz but she was something quite unique a trait he wished he had inherited a little more of.

Throndir

The teacher looked up hesitantly as Aran finished talking.

"A-aran was it?" She said as she nodded. "That is a wonderful idea. The quiz has just started after all, and I am really thirsty. I think I just might do that." With that the teacher smiled as she proceeded to head out of the classroom.

"Now class, behave yourselves. I'll be back in a short bit."

Lance

For several moments, Aran stood motionless as he was, neither sitting down nor changing that gentle smile of his. Only after he was certain his good teacher had reached a safe distance did he begin his move. Throughout it all, his smile never faded.

[spoiler=it only changed]

[/spoiler]

"You're up, Kyuubi," Aran stated as a Vulpix emerged from his pokeball. "Keep a lookout while I take the test."

Throndir

Kyuubi, Aran's Vulpix, nodded its head as it first circled around Aran, but eventually made its way to the door, standing alert as it peered out, looking both ways for any sign of intruders or people coming by.

[spoiler]@Aran, please roll Perception for Kyuubi in case it will be needed.

Copy paste. I'll be doing this only 50/50 of the time, but an FYI to others. If you would prefer to use your Pok?mon for specific scenes and for roleplaying fluff, go for it! If you would like me to handle some things, do that too.

PTU Core 202
QuotePlayers typically do not exercise direct control over
their Trainer?s Pok?mon except in combat. Even putting
mechanics such as Loyalty aside, we find there are more
interesting roleplaying opportunities to be found when
the GM controls all Pok?mon, and the players simply
control their Trainer characters.
Pok?mon can make Skill Checks and use Capabilities
just as Trainers can, and while Pok?mon aren?t directly
controlled by a player, the process is quite similar when
it comes to taking action. Simply roleplay your Trainer
asking your Pok?mon for help or giving it instructions,
and then your GM narrates the result, calling for dice
rolls if necessary.
[/spoiler]

Lance

[spoiler=Them Rolls]
Aran Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 2d6+6 : 4, 3 + 6, total 13[/blockquote]
Kyuubi Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 5, 3 + 1, total 9[/blockquote]
[/spoilers]

Throndir

As you picked up the blue sheet, you realize that it was an answer key. You realize that when the teacher was comparing the blue sheet and the quiz earlier, it must have been because she was double-checking the quiz for the answers. You did hear the footsteps of someone coming back to the class, and Kyuubi turned her head towards you, alerting you of someone's presence.

Whatever you were planning to do, you had to do it quick.

Lance

So it really was an answer sheet Aran surmised after being confronted by the tell-tale set of words and numbers. Only the gods could tell whether that was true or not, and sadly (very sadly) he was mortal. But... what else could it be? A trap?, he immediately asked himself, for the teacher did run out rather too easily and he would have had no idea of knowing he had received fake answers till the results came in.

His eyes briefly lit up. Actually, there was a way.

He scanned through the answers once more and found one that had previously caught his eye. Question #3: The evolved form of charmander is ___. Correct Answer: "B) Charizard." Wrong! He laughed internally, crossed out the answer, and supplied his own.

[spoiler=He then altered the rest.]
Question #1: Vulpix evolves by using a ___. Correct Answer: "Fire Stone" "Rare Candy"
Question #2: Solar Beam is a powerful move that does not require prior charging during ___. Correct Answer: "Sunny Weather" "The Apocalypse"
Question #3: The evolved form of charmander is ___. Correct Answer: "A) Charmeleon" "C) Blastoise."
Question #16: In order to transform into different pokemon, Ditto uses the move ___. Correct Answer: "D) Transform" "C) Solar Beam"
Question #17: Bone Club is a ___-type move. Correct Answer: "A) Ground" "C) Bone"
Question #18: By using ___ you can evolve Eevee into Glaceon. Correct Answer: "Shiny Stone" "Soda"
Question #33: ___ is the devolved form of Tyranitar. Correct Answer: "Pupitar" "Ms Firestart"
Question #34: The devolved form of Tyranitar weighs ___ pounds. Correct Answer: 335.1" "9,001"

[/spoiler]

His pen moved like lightning, altering every answer, every question. It was amazing how many "mistakes" he amended in so short a time before reclaiming his pokemon, returning the blue sheet...

[spoiler=and climbing innocently back into his seat.]
Truly, he was a saint.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Actions]
Using Guile (Forgery, Feigning Innocence):
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+12 : 5, 1 + 12, total 18[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Lance

[spoiler=More Rolls]
Using Stunt Expert: Guile to reroll that previous 1
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]

And in case more 1's show up...
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Burdenking

Oreah looked up at the man as he performed his little covert operation, and couldn't help but chuckle out him being the only one to consider it. She might have done it to, is she had the skills for it. Sadly, she didn't, and she would simply have to accept that as she sat there, waiting for the teacher to take back the quizzes.

Throndir

Nena Ains

When a quiz was first announced, Nena figured that it wouldn't be too hard. She took her studies seriously, and all her hours spent into reading textbooks would surely have helped her with the test. However, when the quiz was finally passed out, Nena balked at the questions. They seemed to be of a higher level than what she was accustomed to, her countless hours spent pouring into the library and reading anything she could get her hands on came to naught.

She noticed someone next to her answer the questions one after the other, though that simply made her more uneasy.

I didn't study hard enough then? That can't possibly be. I studied everything and more! I didn't study enough...? She couldn't help but think those words over and over. Finally, one her classmates convinced the teacher to leave, and she watched in surprise as the student made his way to the front, grabbing that blue sheet of paper the teacher had previously been looking at.

Nena didn't quite like what was going on. But she focused on her own quiz, answering them to the best of her abilities.

[spoiler]For each section of the quiz, rolls:

Edu: General
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+6 : 5, 1 + 6, total 12[/blockquote]

Edu: Medicine
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+6 : 6, 4, 5 + 6, total 21[/blockquote]

Edu: Pok?mon
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+6 : 6, 5, 1 + 6, total 18[/blockquote]

Edu: Technology
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+6 : 1, 1 + 6, total 8[/blockquote][/spoiler]