[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 2.2: Rakian Patrols are Slackers!!

Started by Throndir, September 13, 2019, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

As taiga dips low into the tall grass he felt a boiling in his blood as if something primal was sturring and in a moment he felt like he was at home in the wilds around the village. He flattened his body almost getting on all fours as his tail flicked side to side. Someone was trying to threaten his family, get in their way he could not allow that.

Tapping into his primal nature his footsteps barely made a sound as he dashed ahead to scoop out the scene. In that moment they were nothing more than prey and he was the preditor moving like a shadow towards the kill.

pringerbeam

As Taiga slinks into the bushes Yuki looks back to the rest of the party from her perch on the bench.  "A dog?  Seems a bit much for some mangy stray."

Asta

"Kobold." Sotu corrected, and watched Taiga pick his way stealthily across the side of the road. "We fight?"

pringerbeam

"Kobolds...  Okay."  Replied Yuki as she drew a kunai and her katana once again.  She absentmindedly tapped the back of her katana on her shoulder as she looked to where Taiga disappeared to.  "Maybe we should tie up the horses?  We got lucky they didn't bolt last time when we left them alone.  Unless someone wants to stay behind and keep an eye on them?"

Linwelin

Eydis grimaced at the sight of the creature, "Ugh, kobolds. I'll hang back and prepare some spells defensively if they approach. I've dealt with enough of those when I was younger."

[info]Eydis will guard the carriage, and will spend that time stacking spell 'ammo' onto her crossbow. Spending 2 mana to have 2 uses of Rune of Logi prepared.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

"Alright, guess I'll go check things out.  I'll see if I can draw them out into the open.  Goddess willing."  Said Yuki as she waded into the bushes on the opposite side of the road that Taiga had, taking a low crouching walk and descending into the scrub.

[info]Stealth check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 4 + 5, total 9[/blockquote]
Will stealth until the kobolds come into view of Yuki[/info]

Asta

"Mmmm...." Sotu hemmed quietly looking over at Mimsy. Knowing her sister, she would probably head into danger to help the others which meant there was only one course of action: hurt the kobolds before they hurt Mimsy. Sotu hopped off the side of the cart and followed after Taiga and Yuki as quietly as she could.

[info]Stealth to follow after Yuki, but remain hidden even after Yuki shows herself.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23[/blockquote]
(Silent Hunter racial trait reduces penalty for moving by 5, as a reminder.)[/info]

Throndir

[info]Initiative starts at 130 ft. away. (See below Perceptions/Stealths). Taiga and Asta, your stealth rolls will carry over, so you will still get your surprise round, and attack vs flat-foot. But you'll have to spend a number of rounds getting there at half your movement (due to stealthing, unless you are willing to take the -5 penalty for normal movement, let me know, as that might changes things. Currently I'm assuming you move half your speed. I'll assume Sotu moves at 25 ft. speed due to her racial).

I'll update perceptions as the group closes in. Since we're starting at 130 ft. away, I'll withhold that for now. If you rolled low, you can feel free to trigger another Perception with a Move action.

Roll for Initiative!
Sotu and Taiga to take surprise round actions[/info]

[spoiler=Stealths]Taiga (Stealth: 29): No one notices you at all.
Yuki (Stealth: 9): You are noticed by two kobolds 130 ft. away.
Asta (Stealth: 23): No one notices you at all.

[include u=2]Kobold 1: 6
Kobold 2: 11
Kobold 3: 20
Kobold 4: 12
Kobold 5: 13
Kobold 6: 23
Kobold 7: 16
Kobold 8: 10
Kobold 9: 20
Kobold 10: 20
Kobold 11: 9[/include][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Perceptions]Taiga (Perception: 16): At 130 ft. you see no creatures. At 100 ft. away, you see 1 dog-faced creature.
Sotu (Perception: 21): At 150 ft. away, you see 1 dog-faced creature. At 130 ft. away you still only see 1 dog-faced creature.
Eydis (Perception: 21): At 150 ft. away, you see 1 dog-faced creature. At 130 ft. away you still only see 1 dog-faced creature.
Mimsy (Perception: 21): At 150 ft. away, you see 1 dog-faced creature. At 130 ft. away you still only see 1 dog-faced creature.
Yuki (Perception: 14): At 130 ft. you see no creatures. At 80 ft. away, you see 1 dog-faced creature.

[include u=2]Kobold 1: 8
Kobold 2: 22
Kobold 3: 11
Kobold 4: 6
Kobold 5: 10
Kobold 6: 22
Kobold 7: 15
Kobold 8: 16
Kobold 9: 20
Kobold 10: 9
Kobold 11: 10[/include][/spoiler]

The tall grass in the area was just enough for Yuki, Taiga, and Sotu to dash into and hide in them to approach the kobolds. There were some rocks and trees along the way as well, which provided enough cover or concealment to steadily approach.

Throndir

36 miles from the Rakian Borders
Day 2 - Early evening

Mimsy takes the offered reins from Taiga, then slows the horses down to a slower trot. She didn't want to make it too obvious that the dog-like things were spotted after-all.

Mimsy took a deep breath, trying to calm the bubbling anxiety within her. This would be the second fight in the day, this time around it felt as if the group was a bit more prepared than before. Without turning around, Mimsy spoke to Eydis.

]"Eydis... when the battle starts, I'm going to rush in to help everyone too. I hate to ask... but can you take over the reins when I do?" Thinking about it, having Eydis drive the wagon along with Taiga would probably be the best idea. She made a note to herself to bring it up to everyone later.

[info]Mimsy slows carriage down to 5 ft. per round.

[blockquote]Initiative 1d20+6 : 11 + 6, total 17[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]Initiative:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15[/blockquote][/info]

[info]Surprise Round:
Stealthily moving 35 feet closer to the general area where the kobolds are.[/info]

Sotu continued to stalk closer to the kobold she could see, doing her best to hide her presence.

Mysticsage

Moving like liquid he maintains what cover he has in the treeline and grass keeping an eye out for any more of his prey.

[info]moving 25 feet maintaining stealth due to silent hunter racial trait

initiative
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+3 : 19 + 3, total 22
[/info]

Throndir

[info]Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should be 25 ft. not 30 ft. You have to be just under your normal move speed.[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]i reread you are correct, made the change to maintain stealth[/info]

Linwelin

Eydis smiles back at Mimsy's hesitance and apology, "That's exactly what I wanted. They'll need your support more than mine. I can handle the cart." She patted her chest with her fist with assurance and confidence. "If anything starts to approach, I'll handle it."

[info]Initiative, just in case I'm needed in the combat.

[blockquote]Initiative:  1d20+2 : 12 + 2, total 14[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

[info]Initiative[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 4 + 6, total 10[/blockquote][/info]