[Fred] Chapter 6: Spirit Tree

Started by Throndir, May 27, 2019, 12:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 6: Spirit Tree》

"It's not that hero... The Red-Hand pride themselves in being an organization that runs well and smoothly..." She bit her lip. "It's not that they hate the Dark Ravens specifically... It's more that this is how they keep their members in line... If I don't report back, then that means I'm a loose end... And if I'm a loose end, they eliminate those. When I followed my brother in joining the Red-Hand, I knew this... It's just... I didn't think I'd ever be in a position to want to betray them. The Red-Hand did the same for my brother and I, as the Dark Ravens do... Taking up people in the streets to train as assassins. But where in the Red-Hand things are strict, here... we're alot more free. Lai Fen brings back trinkets and food for everyone, we give away what we get from the corrupt nobles, and many of the people in town respect us, not out of fear, but out of gratitude..." 

Her eyes looked downwards. "I still owe the Red-Hand for taking my brother and I in, but... But I feel more at home here than I ever did over there."

"We have multiple escape routes from each of our hideouts underground. This isn't everyone though Fred... And as much as I want to wait here. I would agree with you that we need to move. There is one place that we can gather too, that both Tharielle and Filiane know. Along with the older members of the Dark Ravens... I told you that these underground tunnels stretch far right? I was told the surface areas of it were already here since before Baolong shifted into the New World. But the far deeper levels only appeared after we came here. At least, according to our old master. It's also..." Lai Fen's eyes were a mix of emotions. "It's also where we laid him to rest. The paths down there start to get confusing... But the original members of the Dark Ravens all know it by heart, or at least, should. And due to the fact its.... a personal place of our master, it's not really a place we normally venture to. I doubt the Red-Hand know of this, nor has Gu-Bai or Mo Ruogang, or any of the newer Dark Raven members been there. There is a cache of supplies there too that we can wait it out... What do you think, Fred?"

Linwelin

Fred listens with a stern expression on his face. "I suppose the only thing you have to ask yourself is this. Which way of life would you like to see spread throughout all of Baolong? Because with the emperor gone, the most imposing and authoritative group will take power next. And their way of life will become everyone's. At least that's how I've seen it done among lions, and it seems similar. If the Red Hand gain the emperor's authority, that'll be our life, right? And if you're saying that they don't directly hate us, but want to fight, it likely means they're trying to do just that, and get rid of competition."

Fred paused momentarily before addressing matters at hand. "Anyways, I'll leave the rest of the Ravens to discuss how to manage you, Gu Bai. I'd personally let you continue as you are, but I imagine there are some other concerns that need to be addressed. You're still a part of this family if you wish to be, but know that it means you'll likely have to fight against the Red Hand. I'll let you decide."

He then turns to address Lai Fen, "I know how human's treat their dead, to some extent. Is it alright to go there? Even in this situation, even though I don't have a problem with it, I don't wish to cross boundaries. I think it's probably our best chance at survival, to lay low until the initial battles are over. Besides, I need to learn, so that I can be this 'hero' everyone seems to want me to be. After that's done, we can look into securing a place in Baolong again. Does everyone agree with this?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Gu Bai nodded hesitantly, and after you spoke her eyes went towards Lai Fen pleadingly. She didn't say a word, only stare at the once leader of the Dark Ravens.

"Bai, what are you looking at me for? I'm not the leader anymore or anything." Lai Fen sighed. "Fred seems fine with you, and he did undo his spell too. That's good enough in my book." Lai Fen then locked his with Gu Bai. "One thing though, it was a stab in the back from Mo Ruogang earlier just before all of this. But it hit harder from you. I think I can speak for everyone here that they never would have expected it from you, out of all people." Many of the other Dark Raven members didn't say a word, though, no one spoke up in argument either.

"You understand right? Lost trust needs to be earned back. As Vice-Leader of the Dark Ravens I order you to apologize to everyone once things have settled down. Follow our heroic leader here. Be your bubbly and normal self. But most importantly... Don't betray us again. Got that?"

Gu Bai nodded meekly as she looked towards her feet. Her face contorted a bit as waves of sadness came over her. Lai Ju, who had been standing silent, watching the proceedings, eventually came up and hugged the girl. "It'll be alright, Gu Bai."

Lai Fen then looked towards you. "It'll be alright. Our old master never cared too much about social expectations anyways. He'd probably have a fit if he found out we risked ourselves further just to pay respect to him properly. As it stands, that place is really the only one that the old members know, and that we haven't visited or talked about often either. Securing a place after shouldn't be too bad."

Lai Fen then started to head out of the room, then stopped as she thought of something. Sheepishly she turned back towards you. "Sorry habit... I should ask... So, Fred, our orders?"

Linwelin

Fred raised an eyebrow at Lai Fen's sheepish appearance, "Orders? Gather the essentials from this hideout, we'll head into the tunnels shortly, following the vice-leader, as she suggested." He gave her a knowing smirk, "Like I have any idea where I'm going. But I appreciate the acknowledgment."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Lai Fen grinned in response as she nodded once towards you, then turned towards the rest of the gathered Dark Ravens. "You heard the man!" Lai Fen called out to the rest of the Dark Ravens, most of them had gathered around her, save for a few who kept watch over Mo Ruogang. "Jed and Chaoxiang, grab some men and move Ruogang. Lai Ju, double check everyone that should be here is here. Eris and Tu, you're bringing up the rear. Ensure we're not being followed. Eris, lead Tu to the rendezvous point in case you get split from us. Everyone else, get the essentials only. Be ready to leave in exactly 1 minute."

QuoteFeel free to do any prep you might want/need to, or issue any other orders you might think was missed.

Linwelin

QuoteThe only thing Fred does is makes sure that there are portable rest items for the injured, since he assumes both Eris and Ruogang won't be able to keep pace for long due to damage.

Otherwise, Fred has no idea what kind of prep is even necessary for this. Bird brained.

So, good to go.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Soon enough Ruogang was brought by Jed and three other men, some of the same men that followed Wen Chaoxiang around like puppies. Ruogang looked to be unconscious, and she was placed on a makeshift stretcher that the four men carried. As for Eris, though she had been injured, she was able to function well. Even though she had such a lithe and small body, she was surprisingly fit.

Eventually the group moved onwards. Once everyone was gathered, many of them bringing backpacks full of what remainders of supplies they had in this underground outpost, the group soon took off. Lai Fen and Lai Ju lead the way. Everyone was going by quietly, even Jed who was large had silent steps moving forward.

QuoteRequesting Acrobatics to see how well you do over the obstacles.

The journey took at least an hour, with many ramps and stairs that lead downwards. There was even a case where the group had went down a shoot with a series of ladders on it. Surprisingly, almost everyone opted to simply slide down the shoot and ignore the ladders altogether. Though, there were a few who did at least hold on to the ladder's hand-rails as they slid down. There was a point where the tunnels became a lot more pitch dark, and it was then that a couple of them lighted a torch. Onwards the group went. Most of the architecture of the tunnels you were blazing through looked similar to the ones higher above. But there came a point where things started to look different. The ground too started to feel more smooth, and there was an array of straight lines grooved into the walls, almost decorative in nature. There were various crystals along side the walls as well that glowed an eerie blue. The group continued to venture in while the newer Dark Raven members started to look around in awe. More and more glowing crystals started to dot the surroundings, and eventually rounding a bend, a giant glowing tree was straight ahead.

"We're here." Lai Fen said quietly. Though, with how quiet it was save for the breathing of some of the people in your group, her whisper was easy to hear. "I haven't been here in years..."

"Seeing it... always fills with amazement though."

Linwelin

[info][blockquote]Acrobatics:  1d20+16 : 4 + 16, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Fred cautiously followed the the Lai sisters through the winding tunnels. The entire situation was more or less how he'd expected it to be from Lai Fen's short description. That was until the crystals began showing up. His eyes widening in awe, he couldn't help pointing and asking, "What in the world is that!? I've never seen glowing rock like that before!"

Shortly after, the tree came into view, and Fred was floored. "That's...not what trees normally look like in this world, is it? It's too amazing to be normal. I wish I was still a raven so I could sit in it!" The former raven couldn't suppress his excitement at his surroundings. They were glorious.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"This was the resting place of our old master..." Lai Ju said somberly. Lai Fen nodded, and you noticed that some of the members of the Dark Ravens had somber looks as well. However, a large chunk of them too had looks of awe and wonder as they took in the sights around them. Jed spoke up next.

"He did always like this place... The Dark Ravens were familiar with the underground labyrinth under the city. After my honeys and I were sent here to the new world... This place appeared. When we first came here, we very much acted just like the newer members. Awe and admiration... A few of us had first wanted to explore deeper... but... can you feel it? The sereneness of this place, as if just our very presence would disturb it. So... we agreed then not to."

Lai Fen and Lai Ju continued forward however as Jed talked. At the base of the tree was a single wooden marker. "Hey geezer." Lai Fen said when she reached the wooden marker.

"Hope you're having a better time where-ever you are right now."

Linwelin

Fred listened pensively to the members' commentary on this place and the old leader. "There definitely is something serene about this place. I suppose it would be best to try to not disturb this area as much as possible. Be careful when setting up camp. We're going to be here for a while."

Fred then wanders over beside Lai Fen, not saying anything, just letting her have her moment. He also took the time to read the grave post. After some silence, he then paced over to the tree, putting his hand to it. "What's even giving that glow? It's so peaceful...wait, I wonder if this atmosphere will help with meditation?"

Fred quickly sits down in a cross-legged position, as he'd been show before, and attempts to meditate and train his Ki.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

When you began to meditate, and search within, perhaps it was due to this new area, or whatever it was that made this place so serene, but you were indeed able to get a sense of something inside that was different than the large pool that Eris described as 'mana'. Indeed, it felt like a river running through you. And it was then that you realized this was ki. It felt so clear to you, and not only that, you found that you can manipulate that flow. It was as if there were multiple gates in your body, and triggering a switch helped that flow go either faster or slower.

It was then that a voice was heard. At the same time there was a shout of alarm around you as a couple of the Dark Ravens withdrew their weapons.

[spoiler]
"Not bad. A natural at ki."
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

AH! A river! Like they were saying before! So this is Ki? It's entirely separate from mana-Who's voice is that? I don't recognize it...

Fred carefully opens his eyes to see what the alarm is all about, looking at his allies, then at whatever they're looking at.

"...Who are you...?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

The Dark Ravens around you had their weapons up, though a couple members didn't, and only stared with eyes wide. Before the figure could respond, both the Lai Fen and Lai Ju called.

"Master!" Lai Ju said, disbelief in her voice, as her eyes started to water.

"Old man, is that you...?" Lai Fen asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"In the flesh..." He paused. "So to speak." The man had a wide-grin on his face. "But never mind about that, do tell me who this new one is." The semi-translucent man said as he took a spot sitting in front of you, looking at you eye-level.

He reached his hand out towards you in a hand-shaking gesture, already, you can see his name and a title above his head. Lai Shuren《Spirit》

"My name's Shuren. Once the leader of the Dark Ravens."

Linwelin

Fred, recognizing the gesture and acting on impulse, takes the spirit's hand while still in a bit of shock, "My name's Fred. I'm the new leader, as of today. We've retreated here to regroup, I hope we haven't disturbed you at all." Fred politely introduced himself before following up with a clarifying question. "Did I hear you correctly? You're the former leader? The one that passed? A spirit?"

It wasn't like Fred was unfamiliar with the spirit concept, having been one previously. But seeing a spirit return to the place they'd left behind was certainly abnormal. After all,it never happened back on Earth.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

The man continued grinning when you reached out for his hand. When you finally attempted to 'grasp' his hand, you found out that you couldn't at all. He was completely incorporeal. The man grinned even more as his eyes sparkled in an otherworldly mischievous glow. "Gotcha." He winked as he withdrew his hand.

"Just teasing my successor." He said as he laughed. "But yes, I was indeed the former leader of the Dark Ravens. My final resting place here, in this crystal-cavern of the new world. As far as final resting places go, mine's pretty sweet if I say so myself. To be honest..." He glanced at both Lai Fen and Lai Ju briefly. "And this is for their sakes too..." He looked back towards you. "I'm not actually sure why I am the way I am now. I still remember when I died... But for some reason I have some brief memories of when my remains were brought here, and then promptly buried there." He said as he looked towards the simple grave marker.

"But you know... if there's one thing I learned about the New World, it's that everything here is a lot more magical and different than my previous world. Not entirely sure why I can still speak to the rest of you after I've kicked the bucket, but hey!" He shifted his body slightly to take a look at the gathered Dark Ravens.

"Who am I to argue? I get to meet the future of our little band." His visage softened a bit. "I'd say that's winning." He beckoned towards the rest of the Dark Ravens. "Stop gawking and come join us all! Lai Fen, and Lai Ju, sit next to Fred."

Lai Ju blushed at the suggestion, while Lai Fen rolled her eyes. This only prompted the man to chuckle heartily. As the rest of the Dark Ravens hesitantly drew near, Lai Fen and Lai Ju took their seats next to you. Soon enough, the rest of the Dark Ravens started to filter in. The crowd of at least 60 or 70 of them, finding places to sit on the underground floor, a soft grass-like plant letting them sit comfortably.

"That's better. One big family, right?" He smiled as he looked towards you. "So... Fred." He started, making his voice sound somber and serious. "Which of my daughters are you marrying?"

"Master!" Lai Ju responded immediately.

"Ah. Lai Ju then? I approve."

"MASTER!"