[Diane] Chapter 1: A New World

Started by Throndir, May 21, 2019, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Inside the cottage was relatively normal. There was a simple stove, a table, some chairs, and some doors that lead to bedrooms. Gerens smiled. "It would be my pleasure. I'll grab the tea and snacks." Gerens said as you followed him in to drop the  bucket inside. Gerens had prompted taken the bucket of water, then set it on one of the tables.

As you headed back outside, Gerens had begun to pour the tea into some cups, along with preparing a quick dish.

When you picked up the wheel barrow and began to push it into the stable, Hunt followed you. "Miss Diane, I heard heroes have all sorts of neat powers. Do you have any?" He asked. "Any I hope he brings out something yummy." Hunt said, referring to Gerens.

QuoteRoll one of the following for fixing the wagon manually: Craft (carpentry), Craft (structural), Repair, INT check.

You can roll perception for anymore further details for anything, otherwise you get the basics.

Anima mea

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25[/blockquote] Craft (carpentry)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 1 + 5, total 6[/blockquote] Craft (structural)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 20 + 11, total 31[/blockquote] Repair
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 13 + 5, total 18[/blockquote] INT check

NUmbers were too high for craft checks.  Did them correctly

Anima mea

Pushing the wheel barrow into the stable and off to the side, she walks over to the wagon after picking up a wagon and starting to try to pry out a nail.  "I don't think I have anything neat as far as powers.  I have fair bit of knowledge on how to build and repair things."  As she works at getting the nails out she ponders his other question.  She finally speaks up, "I figure he'll have something yummy, although I need to save a couple of sweets if I can for a couple of children in the village." 

After she manages to get all of the boards out of the bed, she begins to survey the planks she has and the tools at hand.  She puts the hammer down and takes up a plank.  She reaches for a piece of dirt that is hardened on the ground and places the plank in the place she wants to put it to replace the old bed.  She uses the dirt, at least she's hoping it's dirty and not manure, to mark where she needs to cut.  She then takes up the saw and begins to carefully cut through it to make sure that it fits the wagon properly.  Once she is done, she repeats this process over time until she has all of the planks cut to the right length, she smiles and swipes her forearm across her forehead, leaving it dirty.  She turns to Geren and Hunt and smiles, "Is that tea still available?  I think I'm finally a little thirsty"

Throndir

"I hope so too!" Hunt said excitedly. As you started to work, Gerens eventually came out with a tray that included a teapot, a few cups, and some grapes, he eventually placed the food on a chair in the stable. Hunt had seen the food, but he didn't seem that excited however. He knew better than to complain however, so he had said his thanks to the future-trader as he nibbled on the grapes.

"Is there anything I can do?" Hunt asked once you finished cutting all the planks. Gerens nodded as he poured a cup for you.

"Sorry it's not much, but it's hard to acquire any new goods since we have little capital. We are fairly self-sufficient here though. And on the bright side, the village is almost done paying reparations to the Felencorp."

Anima mea

Diane smiles at the grapes and picks up a couple and pops them into her mouth, chewing as lady like as she could manage.  Once she swallowed them, she looks at Geren, `k"I love grapes!  Thank you."&d  Pouring herself a cup of tea, she takes up the cup as gracefully as she can, her mother's lessons on such having been some time ago, and sips from it.  She takes a moment and looks at Hunt, "If you still want to help, you can go stand on the planks I've managed to nail in and see if they are as sturdy as I have set them up to be."

Turning her attention fully on Geren, her smile fades and she takes on an analytical look, "What would it take to finish repaying these reparations to Felecorp?  I have some ideas that might start making you guys some money and allow you to make your lives easier.  Provided I have the materials.  I mean, I have to do some martial training in there of course, but I think I can improve things for you guys."

Throndir

QuoteI'll do a short timeskip forward, and assume you will take time to nail them in? Post before was cutting the planks without any mention of placing them into the wagon itself with hammering and nails, though you allude to it being actually nail in, in the latest post. Hunt's dialogue would change instead to something more congratulatory rather than helping fix something that is already done.

Date: Day 1 - 5:20 PM - 6:20 PM

"What materials would you need?" Gerens had asked. "I plan to be leaving town soon to start my journey... Maybe in a week's time. But if there's any rare materials you might need, I can make it a point to look for them and come back here."

You spend a total of 60 minutes cutting each of the planks to shape, and also placing them on the wagon and hammering them into place. Throughout it all, Gerens continued to tell you about the current situation of the New World, the fact that the lands around them suddenly changed, and became this new world where they found themselves in a country called the 'Felencorp United Alliance'. He tells you about the reparations as well.

"The reparations are mainly supplies for the war effort... As part of the deal to reduce the amount, our village agreed to initiate the summoning ritual." Gerens explained. "But apart from that, we've had to send a large amount of our last harvest to the Felencorp, they've also conscripted some of the more bodied able men into their militia for training, and then sent off to battle. We can't really do much of course, we're just simple folk... This is why I want to go out and become a merchant, for one, I can escape their conscription for the next round they do it. And two, I can eventually help my village once I earn enough."

Through that hour, a couple of villagers had swung by to greet you, many of them had bowed and paid their respects, and some had even dropped by various gifts, such as foods, and drinks. Even if you attempted to refuse, the villagers would be insistent, and in the end, Gerens would accept them, placing them to the side.

Date: Day 1 - 6:20 PM

When you eventually finished the wagon, Hunt congratulated you. "Wow, it looks like new." Hunt commented.

"It does... I don't know how I could repay you. I had been planning to do it myself, but this saves me a lot of work."

The sun had been starting to set as well, and an orange glow started to fill the skies. The crowd at the hill had all but dispersed. The knight, Kayden, along with the two mayors and priests, Kenver and Maban, headed down as well. Though they traveled together, the animosity between them was easy to see, especially when they finally reached Geren's home, as they continued to glare daggers towards the other.

"Hero Diane. It seems the two mayors of Chynance have taken offence with me not explaining every little detail in our first meeting. Nay, not even the first minute of conversation." The knight's light voice was thick with sarcasm. Kayden continued and held up a hand before Kenver and Maban could respond. "I would assume our hero would indeed have more patience than these two priests. As such we can discuss it over dinner." Kayden suggested. "However, if you would like, I can answer questions along the way before we reach the mayor's home reserved for you. As a Felothian Knight, it is but my duty to help serve the hero."

"Being upfront is always better." Kenver quickly said in response, as Kayden shot him a hard glance. Things were starting to tense up again.

"Kenver... Let's discuss it over dinner? Perhaps some good food will help everyone. Plus, weren't you excited to get to show the hero the home we maintained for her? She's here now." Maban said, taking hold of both of Kenver's hands into his.

"You are right as always Maban..." Kenver replied.

Anima mea

Greeting each passing villager with a smile, a handshake or a bow, depending on station or age, Diane is every inch the lady she thinks she should be, despite the grease, dirt and wood by products all over her, including rather liberally in her hair.  Seeing that they were insistent, she thanks them each personally, remembering each name with a trick she developed in school and promises to visit with each personally as she has time.  Listening to Geren, she smiles, "Does this world have iron, sulfur, coal and steel?  If it does, it would not be amiss if I had them.  I have ideas that will help you guys do more work with potentially fewer people." 

When she stops and takes the last sip of tea in her cup, right before the mayors and knight walk in, she looks over at Hunt, "I'm sorry, I'm not a very exciting hero to be squire to.  I wasn't very exciting in my world either.  Lots of hardwork and studying mostly."  She walks over and kisses him on the forehead, "If you hang in there a bit longer, I'll see if I can at least become a decent enough soldier or whatever, to give you someone to spar with.  That sound like a fair trade off?"

When Kayden, Kenver and Maban enter, she turns and looks at them, fairly filthy, but having the presence of mind to attend them intently.  After they've finished talking, she breathes in deeply, causing her torso to expand and then of course, deflate some.  "Perhaps, it might be best if I get a bath soon so I'm presentable in such company?  I did send someone to invite you down here while I worked, because that is how I best think is when my body is engaged in work.  I have given this situation, what little I know of it," her tone turns to ice as the last of it, "Not for lack of asking, some thought. And I do believe that I can, with the right materials, bring the reparations that this village owes the alliance down to zero.  In fact, it may actually leave the Felencorp Alliance owing the village a bit back.  However, that doesn't matter at this point."  She walks over to Kayden and takes up the branch she picked up earlier, "Is this the rough size that I'll need to train with if I'm to use a staff?" 

Once she has her answer, she looks at the twins, "As for you two, I suspect that the house will be suitable, if not a bit too much for my needs unless it has an attached workshop instead of extra rooms for things frilly like most girls might wear. Although, it is sweet of you to maintain a house for a hero."  She reaches up and pats each boy on the cheek opposite of her.  She then kisses the cheeks nearest her lips, even if lightly. "Now, if you would be so kind as to get someone started on drawing a bath for me, get me a list of building and other materials, a map of the area for Geren and I to look at.  Some practice weapons for myself, I suppose some armor as well, and we can talk on the way.  If I'm to be your hero, I'll need the information at hand to make decisions on how I can help you."

As she is about to walk out, she turns to Geren, her face full of appreciation, "Geren, the only thanks I ask is if I am troubled and you are not out traveling, I can come and speak with you or even just work on your wagon when it needs repairs.  Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, I am in your debt.  You let me work on your wagon to clear my head, you fed me grapes, one of my favorite foods, made me tea and even let Hunt stay here with me, even though you just met me today.  I couldn't ask for a better friend."  She turns and walks over to the man and kisses his cheek, whispering in her ear, "You remind me of my grampy.  I needed that more than anything my first day here.  That is something I am not sure I'll ever be able to repay, but I want to try."  She steps back from him, smiles sadly, and before she turns to leave again, she slams back into place the mask of hero and turns to walk out.  She speaks over her shoulder, "Come along, I have updates I need and you three apparently have much you should have already told me by now.  Hunt, be a dear and collect the things the villagers left for me, I will need to catalog them and write the appropriate thank you letters.  It won't be said I don't appreciate the people around me."