Fumble Rules / Nat 1s / Nat 20s

Started by Throndir, December 04, 2018, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Limited Fumble Rules
For D&D and Pathfinder this is more straightforward, but due to the fact that this is through a custom system (borrowing heavily from Pathfinder since I realized we're all familiar with it), progression ends up playing different in the Isekai RPG. Where in D&D/PF upon gaining a level you unlock new abilities, abilities are unlocked and trained for in the Isekai RPG.

Some people love fumble rules, and some people don't. For my view on it, is that fumble rules are there when someone is new to something, but go away eventually. This stems from the idea that a demi-god swordsman would drop a sword (without an explicit disarm attempt from the opponent), seems contrived. Realistically speaking, a 1 in 20 chance to do a complete failure when swinging a weapon for a demigod seems really high for an expert of their chosen weapon. However, when a user is brand-new to something, eg, a trainee swinging a sword, they will definitely make rookie mistakes.

To appease both crowds, in the Isekai RPG, whenever you are in the process of learning to use a new weapon, figuring out a new technique, unlocking a new feat, or are still nonproficient in an action, then on natural 1s for attacking purposes will invoke the fumble rules. Fumble rules may still occur even when you are proficient with the weapon potentially for a few encounters after. Once it gets to the point that it seems like your hero is skilled in that particular action, fumble rules will be dropped, as missing a target (without active prevention from the opponent, or if opponent is extremely low level), is already embarrassing enough for a true master.

Natural 1 and Natural 20 Skill Checks
Like with the ruling I did for most/all my previous D&D/PF games, Natural 1s are not automatic failures in Skill Checks. Likewise Natural 20s are not automatic successes either. It may influence description, but success or failures are strictly on the DC.