[Jean] Chapter 1: Summons

Started by Throndir, July 28, 2018, 11:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

[okay]Agility: 26
You saw the giant boulder race across the wall. It looked like the thing was rolling across it. It was thrown hard and fast enough that it managed stay relatively straight on its path even though gravity should have held it down. You managed to easily dodge it. A lot easier than you thought it would be. It felt as if the boulder was going slower than it should have.[/okay]After getting out of the way, you notice the girl managed to duck down as well. She moved quickly, though, her clothes, lagged a second behind. You could see her undergarments. As expected, they were red.

There was no time to admire the lacy patterns though, as down the hall, you saw what threw the large boulder.

The creature stood at least 12 ft. tall. It was squat, had a large and round belly, and thick, rounded legs. It had massive arms that were thick with muscle, while its head was shaped like an elephants. Though without a trunk or tusk. Instead it had four horns that sprouted from the back of its head.

"No way... a class-B demon." The girl mage said.

QuoteSome notes. It's a free action to control the tentacles. Free action to mess around with the Status window.

Jean to take actions.

pringerbeam

Jean tucks and rolls to dodge the boulder, getting a chance to take in the sight below the girl's skirt for a moment he found too short before coming up on to his feet.  He heard what the girl said about demons but his natural reaction overrode the knowledge that the girl had gifted him.  "What the shit is THAT?"  He says pointing at the demon.  He looked around the room in a panic, trying to get an idea of the layout.  He had casually been looking around before while he was trying to get his bearings but now it was time to find the exit. If I couldn't survive fucking Steve then this is definitely not ending well...  He dashes over to the girl.  "How do we get out of here?  You had to have come in through some route."  He says as he braces to get ready to dodge whatever the demon's next attack might be.

[info]Move action: Move next to the girl if she is not already next to Jean and is within his movement range.

Standard action: Total Defense (+4 AC until the start of Jean's next turn)

Perception check to see if I can tell where the exit is.  Disregard if this was already covered by a previous perception check.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 20 + 3, total 23[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

"The same route he's coming in from!" The mage girl yelled. "We never got a chance to explore these underground ruins! We were just supposed to camp here until we got word from the Academy! And if that demon is here, it means the guards at the top have been wiped out already!"

[info]Perception: 23 Apart from the entrance that the demon came in from. The catacombs had another exit from the current room going the opposite direction. This summoning circle was in a room that was more like an alcove from a much longer hallway.[/info] "Oh Earth! Gather and Transform! Become a tremendous power to pierce my foes! Stone Shears!" The mage girl said. As you watched, you noticed specks of brown light float around her hands. The more she said her chant, the more motes of light appeared. Suddenly, when she said 'Stone Shares', the motes of light shot forward, along with various shards of earth aimed straight towards the demon. It seemed like it was the motes of light themselves which guided each projectile.

The shards hit the demon. It seemed injured, though from your viewpoint it looks as if it ignored most of the damage. Only infuriated, it charged.

You watched it carefully, bracing for impact, or getting out of the way. But all 6 of the tentacles suddenly sped its arms in front of you. The demon saw this, but it kept charging forward, and when it finally reached one of the tentacles, the large brute tore it free from the ground. The tentacle spazzed for a short bit, then stopped moving.

QuoteJean to take action.

pringerbeam

Jean looked at the demon and then looked back at the open exit to the catacombs and then back at the demon.  "Well guess it's exploration time right now!"  He grabs the wrist of the girl and turns to run.  Reaching out to the tentacles as they battle the beast he instructed them to entwine its legs, hopefully tripping it as they whip and tangle the demon.  Pulling the girl in close to his body, he sticks the book into her bosom and sweeps her up into his arms.  "Don't drop that it's... Well I don't know what it is but it's probably important,"  With that he sprinted away down the catacomb hallway.  He takes a quick look over his shoulder to see the tentacle at work, remembering the kind of emotion he felt from them earlier.  Well... I don't know what the deal is with you guys but thanks for your help.

[info]Free Action: Instruct tentacles to trip the demon
Full-Round Action: Run down the hallway (4x speed, 1 of 28 rounds)[/info]

Throndir

The remaining 5 tentacles rushed towards the demon. They came in with gusto, as if happy to be able to serve your commands. The first one came at its left, and the giant beast brought up a giant arm and fist, and in one blow, the tentacle was torn off. The second, third, and fourth one came in as well, but the demon only just slowed. It wasn't until the very last tentacle that the demon finally managed to trip.

[error]4 trip attempts failed. Another tentacle destroyed. 4 tentacles remaining.[/error][okay]Last trip attempts succeeded[/okay]As you began running away, you notice one of the tips of the tentacles turn towards you, moving back and forth, as if waving goodbye.

The girl yelped as you grabbed her hand, but came with you anyways once you started running. When you pulled her close a moment later, she yelped again.

"N-not too c-close!" The girl complained, but didn't really do anything to move away, instead she seemed to move just slightly more closer. The moment you grabbed your book and stuffed it in her bosom however, she yelped even louder, and her face turned red. She noticed it was the book though, so she used her remaining free hand to hold it tight to her chest. She mumbled something under her breath.

QuotePerception if you want to hear, DC 15.

The demon roared right behind you. But you managed to already make some distance. It was getting darker in the catacombs. There was some light in the earlier alcove due to the torches that were lit. But here, there were none.

"Oh fire! Manifest here and now, light our path, guide our way to illuminate the darkness. Fire Torch!" Like before, there were motes of light, red this time, that seemed to gather around her hands. The moment she exclaimed《Fire Torch》, the motes of light formed into groups of threes, and between them was a small orb of flame that hovered around the caster.

The sounds of the beast's roar was getting further and further away. You don't know what the tentacles were doing anymore, but you figured they were probably doing their best on holding the demon down.

The path forks, splitting off into three more direction, left, center, or right.

QuoteRounds since escape from demon: 1
Choose a fork. Combat rounds are still in effect.

pringerbeam

[info]perception to hear mumbling.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 1 + 3, total 4[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

Jean didn't take any time to consider the options and simply continued to run straight ahead down the middle passageway.  Huh... this is easier than I thought.  Crosses his mind as he continues to run, realizing that he was not only running but also carrying this girl without the slightest issue.  He never worked out before so he wasn't really sure how fast he could run or how much he could carry but he definitely couldn't pick up another human being and just run with them in his arms as he was right at this moment.  I guess being the hero has its perks...  He thought to himself, then reminding him of the situation at hand.  "Yeah so... I know we're kinda fleeing for our lives here and I don't know how that light works or if it takes much concentration on your part but I don't suppose you could fill me in on like...  I don't know... Everything?"

[info]Full Round Action: Run down middle hallway (Round 2 of 28)[/info]

Throndir

QuoteRequesting an intelligence check to get yourself out of the catacombs. Failure will be a potential encounter with the demon.

Since the entire  journey can be long, feel free to ask any questions in-game you may for the character, or save it til you're out.

The girl was rather meek as you carried her sprinting as fast as your legs could carry you. She kept avoiding your gaze and had a slight blush to her features, but tried to respond anyways. The orbs of flames that danced around the two of you were slightly erratic.

"It doesn't normally take a lot of c-concentration... But with the demon chasing us, and..." She gazed at your eyes, but blushed furiously as she quickly tore her eyes away. "And... umm... and this darkness! And being in a catacomb!" A moment later, she closed her eyes tight then, and proceeded to pat both her cheeks with both her hands.

"It's just a bit harder to concentrate, okay?" She closed her eyes one more time then and breathed deeply. Once she opened them again she was more composed.

"We've been at war with the demons to the south for almost 40 years now. There are periods of peace when the demons wouldn't go into our lands, and simply kept to their side of the borders. But there are times when they've pushed forcefully... 12 years ago marked their last push... And it wasn't just the southern demons. The ones in the north, east, and west did the same. It was one big coordinated effort." She paused for a moment.

"My family and I were just trying to live our lives..."

She became quiet then. Uncharacteristically she grabbed hold onto your shirt. She seemed to shudder, and you realized she had started sobbing.

pringerbeam

Shit...  Was Jean's first thought at the explanation.  40 years is a long ass time for a war...  "Look uh, don't cry...  I'm sure everything is going to be OK."  Jean looked at the magic light.  "See?  You have plenty of magic just in you.  You were able to summon me right?  That must have taken a lot of skill.  I'm sure that you guys have a chance."  At this point Jean was really stretching for things to say to the girl, he was never good with women, let alone crying people, or really people in general.  Got to try to distract her maybe...  Looking over his shoulder he tried to see if the demon was keeping pace.  He had to figure out how to get to the exit.  Even though he didn't have any trouble carrying the girl, he figured he would run out of stamina eventually.  "Oh, hey, you know magic.  Do you know a spell that can get us out of here.  Something that can show the... way..."  These last few words made him pause for a second.  There was something extremely important that he was forgetting, something vital, but he couldn't remember what it was.  Whatever it was, it was starting to give Jean a headache trying to remember.  Giving up on whatever it was, he turned another question to the girl.  "Hey uh, what exactly do you know about this whole summoning thing?  Like... what can I do exactly?  Can I use magic like you do?"

[info]Full Round Action: Continuing running (Round 3 of 28)

Intelligence Check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

You tried comforting her, but she continued to sob as you continued to speed through the catacombs looking for a way out.

"Y-yes. Thank you. I do have a lot of skill. I'm one of the best, it's why they sent me here." She began to wipe her tears away with her sleeve. Once again, she patted both her cheeks with both of her hands to calm herself down. After that, she still continued to clutch on to your shirt.

She shook her head at your request for a spell that could get yourselves out.

"We can maybe use Earth magic to dig a hole straight up. But nothing as convenient as what you're asking."

"Most people can use magic. Usually there are affinities to each of the elements. Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Light, and Darkness. The first four are common. It's rare for people to be compatible with either Light or Darkness. People born who can use these only appear perhaps once every 100 to 200 years. Most people only ever have affinity for one element, perhaps two. For me personally, I can use Fire, Water, Air, and Earth." She said the last line with a hint of boasting.

"Then there are heroes like you, who can have all sorts of different abilities or powers that defy what we know about magic. There are also demons who are adept at Darkness spells, along with other spells and magical abilities that are weird. Some of the other countries too have some strange magics that was not known in our own world, Terremar."

"You should be able to use magic too. But we need to find out your affinities. It was said, that most heroes who were summoned did not know magic, and they had to be taught."

[info]Intelligence: 20
As you continued to run, you noticed particular inclines in elevation through the catacombs. You had made mental notes where you had seen them, and even though it was still a guess, it was the only lead you had. It proved fruitful however, as you finally reached what looked to be a set of stairs that went upwards into the night sky.[/info]"That's it!" The wizard girl said. You noticed she didn't move to get out of your arms though.

pringerbeam

Jean dashed up the stairs, energized by the idea that the end was in sight.  "See?  Everything is turning out fine.  Now about that magic..."  Jean was thinking about what had happened when he had activated that 'Status' ability.  It was almost like a video game if it were not for the very real world he seemed to have found himself in.  She said that heroes in the past had to be taught magic...  "Do you know anything about spells that might be titled 'Summon Tentacle' or 'Weight Control'?  And if you do know can you give me a quick run down?  I definitely fall into the 'doesn't know magic category' of heroes and I have a feeling its going to be better to know my abilities sooner rather than later."  Jean was thinking about the demon down in the catacombs, he knew there was no way that the tentacles were able to defeat the beast on their own considering the losses he saw them take.  He was getting queasy at the thought of it but he was trying to steel himself for the inevitable confrontation with the beast, hoping that he might be able to figure out these newfound abilities before the fight.

[info]Full Round Action: Run up the stairs (Round 4 of 28)[/info]

Throndir

You finally made it out of the catacombs. You found yourself in a field, with a variety of ruins strewn about. It was night outside, and the moon shone brightly in the sky. The ruins around you were breathtaking, large statues towered meters up in the sky. Whatever this used to be, it would have been enormous back in its time.

"That class-B demon isn't very far behind. It's one of the more stupider types though... lets hope it's lost in those catacombs for longer."

"Summon Tentacle?" She made a face. "Weight control?"

"Those are not spells I know of. Summoning magic is ancient magic, and isn't something that can so easily replicated these days... Apart from these summoning circles left behind or, a more popular theory, placed throughout this world, we do not have ways to summon things as you did. Weight control seems to abstract as well. Though, both remind me of keywords of magic. When we cast magic... we gather mana from without ourselves to act as fuel. We then chant an incantation to give the spell form, meaning, and direction. Once the spell is defined, we are then able to execute the spell with a keyword."

"Maybe they work like your 'Status'? No one really knows how magic from heroes work, maybe you skip the incantation and go straight to the keyword? Can you try it? Or we can go over which elements you are able to use... We need to find out quickly."

QuoteI'll keep of rounds from this point, if I feel some of the teaching takes more than 6 seconds, then rounds will increment as expected. I'll be reading out loud these dialogue to figure out timing, along with distance between locations. For knowledge as a player, I'm including the time of distraction your tentacles gave you + the demon's INT check result to determine how long are they in the catacombs. I'll make it apparent once it is 1-2 rounds away.

Since this will be your first attempts at casting, when casting a spell or ability, describe what/who/where your character is thinking upon casting it.

Rounds since escape: 9

pringerbeam

Jean looked around the ruins.  Wow, now this is something...  Definitely not on Earth anymore.  Slowing his run down to a trot and then stopping, he set the girl down on her feet, taking the book back from her.  "Well this is probably as good a place as any to make our stand.  Worst case, we make a break for it again.  Now..."  It was time for Jean to flex his newfound magical might.  Thinking about what the girl said about keywords, he thought about the tentacles that were down in the catacombs.  He would need more, and if possible, stronger tentacles to combat the demon.  Six seemed to work then, I guess that would be a good starting point...  Jean focused his mind and though about tentacles twice the size of those he saw before and spoke the words.  "Summon Tentacle"  He closed his eyes and gripped the book.  Please work...

[info]Standard action(?):  Summon 6 tentacles[/info]

Throndir

[info]《Summon Tentacle》
You pictured 6 tentacles, each one bigger than the ones from before. The first set of tentacles you had summoned were about 10 ft. each. You wanted something bigger, but still remained at 6.[/info]Closing your eyes, you spoke the keyword, and a moment later there was a gasp and a shriek. You also felt a sudden weakness surge through you for just a mere moment, and as it went away, you notice you felt more tired.

In front of you was 6 tentacles. Each one was about 20 ft. in length, and they were also twice as thick. They seemed to coil themselves around the mage girl; gripping her legs, thigh, body, and arms.

"No, no! S-stop it!" Her face was already flush with embarassment, and like before the tentacles began methodically reaching into every opening they could find.

QuoteRounds since escape: 10

pringerbeam

Jean was exhilarated by the rush of power flowing through him, even the loss of the energy felt good.  Well that's something...  He opened his eyes at the girl's shriek.  "Man... Come on guys..."  He reeled in the tentacles from their probing of the girl and prepare for the demon's arrival.  "They've got a thing for you it would seem."  Jean thought about the sensation he had just felt.  I wonder...  "Status" Said Jean, hoping to see what, if anything, might have changed about his stats.

[info]Free Action: Instruct tentacles to stand at the ready

Free Action: Open status window[/info]