[IC] Treasure in the sand

Started by Mysticsage, January 30, 2014, 02:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

The noon sun beat down heavily as you all got of the merchant boat that Reginald had booked for you to Izole. The long journey was not the most pleasant experience. Filled with goods even before any of you got on board the space had been limited to say the least. More like fish in an over filled barrel to be honest. The trip was not what you were expecting and you all had an uneasy feeling.

Despite all this you have a job to do and the guild doesn't get that easily discouraged. The port area of town was bustling despite the oppressive noon day sun. A slight ocean breeze is keeping the heat bearable and looking around at the native dress of linens and silks only you seem to notice.

Based off the colorful stands and people peddling goods you can all see around this area you aren't sure if this is an open air market or some kind of festival looking back for the stoic ship captain who brought you all is gone. It seems you all are free to explore and fend for yourselves. No one else at first glance has seemed to take notice of your arrival all busy with their own matters.

Glancing down the road it seems like the path he left you on is a main through fair leading  further into the city proper.

Throndir

The sun was pretty bright, and though Annia had experienced it before a couple of times in the past, it was different considering all the sights they had seen on their trip and now the city of Izole itself. She was excited to be on the merchant boat, and though the sun was indeed warm and stifling, not to mention that they were packed in tight with all the goods that were brought on board, the winds had helped to keep things cool, and she herself spent most of her time above decks completely fascinated in the seas, but also the various crewmen on board. There were a couple of times where her constant prodding and inquisitive questions were met with rough glances from the crew, but Annia couldn't help it, everything was still so very new to her.

So as the rays of heat would have bogged her down on any other occasion, she was instead beaming, with a huge smile, her face vibrant as she kept glancing around the foreign city. Some aspects were still the same compared to Ternadan; the various people going back and forth minding their own business, the open markets, the crowd of people either calling to sell goods or bartering with passing individuals. But at the same time everything was so different. The weapons that some of the merchant guards wore, the strange clothing, as well as the more exotic goods that she happened to glance at from her vantage point. It was times like these that Annia truly enjoyed, going through new things, and being able to experience them first hand.

She turned towards her comrades; Sophie, Kin, and Wolfrin, her face beaming.

"Lets-" For a moment she paused, and if she had thought about it more she probably would have held her tongue, but with the excitement all around her, little thought was given to their current mission as well as how a proper knight should act. With that in mind she continued exuberantly.

"Lets go shopping!" She said as she clasped Sophie's hands with her own.

Neko

Sophie had ridden very few boats in her lifetime ? and it likely showed as they were crowded together like sardines. Her face had gotten a bit green, the maid doing her best to fight back motion sickness. She was grateful for the breeze, at least. The fresh air helped calm her stomach. Mimic napped quietly on her shoulder the entire way.

Reaching land, Sophie nearly flew from the cramped space, her eyes falling upon the ever so famous Shadar. Perhaps it was simply the desert terrain, but overall, the place seemed very unique. Just like Annia, her eyes locked onto the market booths, curiosity instantly taking over. Her mind began to wander as she imagined the unique foods this place probably possessed. Surely a lot got imported, considering the heat. But, it was likely they had their own unique supply of goods as well. Maybe she'd be able to bring new and interesting recipes back to the guild! Mimic had woken upon exiting the boat, one of his dark wings lifting as if to shield himself from the sun. ?Why Sophie, why?? He whined, his thoughts reaching the maid. ?What is it with you humans and hot places?? Sophie sighed in response. ?I guess this isn't very fair to you, huh...I'll find a way to protect you from the sun, ok?? Sophie promised.

As if reading the maid's mind, Annia suggested they go shopping. Sophie smiled as the paladin took her hands. ?Yes! Maybe I can find myself a straw hat or something while we're at it...? She replied. If she could find one large enough, she'd be able to shield her raven from the sun's rays. "We can just check the stuff out while we head toward the tavern." She said, not forgetting they had a mission to accomplish.

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin stepped off the boat onto the dock of Izole, followed none too slowly by Buddy. The journey had been long, and he had had to almost bodily force his companion onto the boat to begin with. He knew Buddy wasn't particularly pleased with him right now, but he let the wolf's ire blow past him like the breeze. Like his companion, he lifted his face slightly and sniffed the air, enjoying the slight sting of the salty sea air. The journey had been long, but Wolfrin was young, and in a strange new land. Despite the heat he had spent most of his time near the bow of the ship, enjoying the smells and sounds and sights of the voyage.

Now he found himself in the desert kingdom's capital, and his enthusiasm had lessened considerably. Throughout the voyage he had been able to relax, despite being surrounded on the cramped little vessel. He'd begun to trust the guild mates he found himself accompanying, and though the crew had been surly, they had shown no aggression or deception to put Wolfrin on edge. Now he was in the city, a foreign city he knew little of, and his guild mates were going off their own ways.

He looked around the dock, seeing everything, his eyes searching for dangers, his ears complimenting. He wore Wolf's Fang on his left hip, his bow stave grasped in his left hand. He pulled the string of his bow from a small pocket set into the inside of his fur, placed there to protect against the humidity and damp of the sea. He set one end of the bow stave against his left foot and strained his arm muscles, bending the bow and looping the string to top notch. He hefted the bow up, running his hand over the inscription on the bow's grip. Alanas Memoir, it read in elven script. Never Forget, it meant in the common tongue.

Wolfrin smiled. He was sure his mother would be proud of him, if she could see him now, in this distant and exotic land. However, as ever, memory of his mother also brought bitter sweet memories of his father, and the reason he had left his home in the first place. With sudden resolution, Wolfrin strapped the bow around his chest, tightened the belt holding his fathers sword, and set off into the city; Buddy at his side, ever his faithful companion.

It was time to see what information he could scrounge up in this city, and he'd best hurry too. Tomorrow he would have a job to do.
BEEP

Throndir

"Wolfrin!" Annia called out uncharacteristically, her mood still light and bubbly from what treasures she and Sophie could find in the markets. "We'll be looking at the stalls while we make our way to the tavern, you can always join us." Annia smiled wide as spread her hands, then beckoned towards markets. She didn't wait for an answer from the druid, instead, the sparkle in her eyes never left as she took Sophie's hand, and started making her way towards the various stalls.

"First your hat! Then spices, I read some really exotic ones are here. Oh! I should get something for Aria too, I bet she's never been to the desert. Callista needs to have one of those nifty silk clothes... Golas would probably want food. Meat probably? Hmm." Annia continued of rambling, muttering sometime as she began going through everything she wanted to get as souvenirs for her friends back in Ternadan.

Linwelin

Kin sauntered off the boat in a very uncharacteristic manner for the halfling. His energetic self was replaced by what seemed to be mild depression. Shielding his eyes from the sun, he walked up beside Wolfrin and buddy, who had yet to decide what to do. Gods, the heat! Well, at least it's not as hot as the Temple of Dorgan, so that's nice...I guess. Then he thinks sarcastically. YAY! It's not as hot as the plane of fire!

Kin then kicked the sand in slight frustration. That was another problem, sand. Sand without an ocean was blasphemous at best. In the forge all it was good for is glass, ad you can't solidly dig into it for ore. To Kin, it was a useless, and seemingly endless substance. Alright, alright, enough complaining! He thought, hiking up his pack and sword to readjust them. It's best to not think about that...now, how to distract myself?

After looking around a moment, he realized something quite exciting. "Weapons..." he muttered under his breath, not meaning to speak. After realizing he did so, he looked around, then up at Wolfrin, "I'm going to try to find a local forge. Maybe I can learn a thing or two, and at the very least I can witness some of the more exotic weaponry here. You know, the stuff you won't find across the sea."

He didn't even ask if the man wanted to join him, figuring he would follow if it interested him. That's just how Kin worked. Besides, Kin had other things on his mind. Forge, forge, sword, sword, hammer, mace, and all the rest! Wait...isn't it going to be even hotter there? He stops a moment to think, then grins. Who cares!

And away he went.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin blinked rapidly, a sign of his surprise. One of his calling did not often have many acquaintances, let alone friends. He suddenly felt very conflicted but decided that he would likely hear much following the girls on their shopping spree. He picked up his pace until he was only a few steps behind the chatting women, listening to their conversation but hanging back, still somewhat uncomfortable with this social situation. He split his attention between the discussion ahead of him, and the bits of chatter from all over, his eyes scanning everything, Buddy trotting comfortably at his side.

*Edit: Adding requested rolls*

[spoiler]Gather Information [dice]Rolled 1d20+1 : 16 + 1, total 17[/dice][/spoiler]
[spoiler]Listen [dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 3 + 4, total 7[/dice][/spoiler]
BEEP

Mysticsage

Sands

The sea side open market is lively and filled with activity. Children are running in all different directions while the adults look over the various wares laid out on colorful stands. A variety of exotic goods are avalible it seems that you have never seen sold at home.

As the party splits and goes there separate ways for the time being you spend some time shopping

You are free to shop as if you were at the guild store with an extra 5% discount

Annia, Sophie

The three of you approach a stall run by a leathery man with a nice enough smile. He has a number of different goods out including a number of what look to be well made hats.

"Welcome travelers!" He beckons as you approach. "May I interest one of you lovely desert blossoms in my humble wares?  They are of excellent quality I assure you" he flatters, "All well priced in the honor of this marvelous day."

Wolfrin

As you stand some what  behind the girls half listening to there conversation you are able to pick up small rid bits of information from those standing nearby.

"Can you believe that father would throw a fesival like this for all of us..."

"Thank the sun god it has been a year since that time...."

Overall you keep hearing similar statements from everyone due to the noise. In particular everyone seems to be refuting to a "Father"

Kin
You eventually find your way to an open air smithy where a girl is working over the coals. She is seemingly obvious to the outside world as she goes about caring for what ever metals she has baking.

Throndir

"Hats! Yes... Do you happen to have a straw hat, or something to block out the sun? Or... better yet a headband, with cute little cat ears?" She had this strange idea that cat ears would look absolutely adorable on Sophie. She glanced at the maid, her eyes full of wonder as she tried imagining her friend with something like it.

Only her room-mates knew she loved to dress up, and likewise dress others up. And with the drastic change of scenery as well as all the excitement around her, it only helped make her feel that this was some sort of dream-land. Her eyes were sparkling and there was an almost joyous spring in her movements.

"You'd look so cute!" She randomly exclaimed smiling wide at Sophie.

Linwelin

Kin takes a deep breath, taking in the forge air. "Perfect! Another home-away-from-home!" He proclaims over the sizzling water as the girl cools a partially-forged metal rod, most likely to become a spearhead, but it was hard to tell at this point. Thus, in usual Kin fashion, he asked, "So what're you making there? Want any help? I'm a decent smith and always like getting my hands dirty. Plus with your frame, you could probably use the help."

Of course, Kin didn't MEAN to be rude. He wanted to make a friend. And to trade knowledge.

"Nice shop, by the way." He says off hand.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Wolfrin Fenris

[spoiler]Gonna try to revive this... XD[/spoiler]

As Wolfrin walked a few steps back from the ladies, he overheard another pair of girls, travelling the opposite direction. "Can you believe that father would throw a festival like this for all of us..." Uninterested in their party planning, it was another few moments, as Annia and Sophie were examining hats at a local stand that he heard a man conversing with the owner of a nearby stand say, "Thank the sun god it has been a year since that time...." Though he could not hear exactly what the stall owner replied, he did hear the man say "Father....".

Wolfrin reconsidered what he'd heard earlier, and as he opened his ear to the din on the street, he heard the word "Father," repeated many times by many mouths. His brow furrowing, he decided to see if the hat vendor knew anything about this "Father," character. Stepping up to the other side of Annia, he questioned the vendor, "Hello sir. I'm not from this land but since my arrival I've heard numerous mentions of some 'Father'. Do you know exactly who this man is, and why all the talk in town seems to be centered on him?"
BEEP