[OOC] Hellhounds in the City!

Started by Throndir, November 28, 2012, 07:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

I advise people to please stock up on your gear and etc, and if you have loot, sell them at our various stores. Please come well-prepared for this encounter.

We have a semi different party make-up, so it might go differently, but nonetheless, sell and gear up!

To buy or sell you can either roleplay it out, (I'll act as the shopkeepers - or the owners of the shop if they want to), or include what you want to buy or sell in OOC spoiler tags. You may choose to haggle if you wish.

If there's as particular store you think I should include but have not made yet, be sure to let me know, and I'll go ahead and make it as soon as I can. I still have a few shops in mind to add.

We have limited supplies and quantities! I'll continue to restock every so often, and quantities will go up as the players level.

Bootman

I'll join in~!

Throndir

XD Exactly what it means. Hellhounds in the city. Room for one more person before I close recruitment for it.

http://forum.fantasyworldcreations.com/mission-board/(open)-hellhounds-in-the-city!/msg3452/#new

Eireleen

@Gralof,

You have two axes in your inventory. I assume you are using the battleaxe as I believe greataxes are two-handed, which would preclude the use of a tower shield.

You use your Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls. In this case, your attack roll includes your Strength modifier, your BAB (Base Attack Bonus), and conditional modifiers.

Your Strength Modifier is 7 (from having 24 Strength), and your BAB is 1 (from having one level in Fighter). Your Large size gives you a -1 size penalty to attack rolls, and using a tower shield gives you a -2 penalty to attack rolls, as conditional modifiers. So your attack roll is 1d20+5

So, to see if your attack hits, you roll that 1d20+5, and if it meets or exceeds the target's AC (which is a static value unknown to you), that attack hits. Otherwise, it misses.

Then, you roll damage. A normal size Battleaxe has a damage die of 1d8, but since you are Large size, assuming you are wielding a weapon appropriate to your size category, your Battleaxe has a damage die of 2d6. In addition, you add your Strength modifier (7) to your damage roll. This gives you a total of 2d6+7 damage.

So, for a default attack with a battleaxe and a tower shield, you make:
Attack Roll, 1d20+5
Damage Roll, 2d6+7

In this case, you are fighting defensively (see here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fightingDefensivelyasaStandardAction)

In this case, you take a -4 penalty to your Attack Roll (changing it to a 1d20+1), in exchange for gaining a +2 bonus to your AC for that round, making you 10% less likely to be hit by the Hellhounds, should they attack you physically.

So, when Fighting Defensively with a battle axe and a tower shield, you make:
Attack Roll, 1d20+1
Damage Roll, 2d6+7

Hope that helps.

Eireleen

I forgot to mention Power Attack. It is a feat you have that allows you to sacrifice accuracy for damage.

Because you have a BAB of 1, Power Attack allows you to take a -1 penalty to attack rolls in exchange for a +1 bonus on damage rolls. When you level up, you'll have a BAB of 2, and you can increase both the penalty and bonus to 2 as a result.

If you're using Power Attack, you have to declare it on a per-attack basis, as you are free to choose whether or not to use it based on the situation.

Throndir

Total Defense

You can defend yourself as a standard action. You get a +4 dodge bonus to your AC for 1 round. Your AC improves at the start of this action. You can?t combine total defense with fighting defensively or with the benefit of the Combat Expertise feat (since both of those require you to declare an attack or full attack). You can?t make attacks of opportunity while using total defense.

Throndir

I'm forcing an event to happen sometime tonight or tomorrow if no one posts.