[IC] Tyrant's Tomb

Started by Eireleen, November 20, 2012, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

The knight smiled ruefully at moon elf's wish of regretting having chosen this particular mission. It was understandable, moon elves did not like staying underground, preferring more to the open night skies than anything else. Annia glanced at the dwarf who took up the rear, he was probably enjoying this more than anything else. To Annia however, the mission was more than fascinating.

"And miss out on this adventure-filled tomb?" She replied, a certain sparkle in her eyes. True, they haven't run into anything else other than traps thus far, but even those pulled some strings of curiosity within her, more so because of the fact they were in an actual tomb.

"I haven't taken many jobs yet for the guild, and I'm afraid I don't quite know everyone's names yet. I'll take the rear, make sure we catch up to the dark elf before something else does. Will you lead the way-" She tried to think of a good name to call the messy-haired green eyed warrior when her katana called out to her.

Scruffy hair.

"Scruffy hair." She stopped talking a moment later, realizing her mistake.

Jin! You made me call him 'scruffy hair'! That wasn't nice. Of course her katana just responded with his warm chuckle.

Oath

"I see we have a creative one. You might like Ryine, better it's shorter and rolls off the tongue."

I don't particularly want to be in the lead, but evidently I am sturdier than the other members of the group.

"I would prefer to not be in the lead here, as spotting traps is not my strong suit, but I do seem to be quite a bit sturdier than the rest of the group so I suppose it can't be helped."

I start to make my way towards Saendal, hoping not to uncover anymore traps.

[spoiler] Spot [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 14 + 2, total 16[/blockquote]
Listen [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 14 + 2, total 16[/blockquote]
Search [blockquote]Rolled 1d20-2 : 2 - 2, total 0[/blockquote]

I move to be 1 tile in front of Saendal. [/spoiler]

Eireleen

The main group rejoined Saendal as he entered the room ahead. His eyes could easily pick out every detail, though Annia's torch allowed the same of the others. Just as Saendal had first seen, it seemed as though every trap in the room had been taken apart already. The floor was littered with bronze blades and separated hinges, pressure plates had been lifted, and the harmless nozzles lining the walls had simply been ignored.

It was all the work of the shadowy figure that now stood before them.

"Oh?"

Her voice itself was sly, as her whole body turned to face them in a strangely fluid motion. It was immediately apparent that she wasn't a member of the Guild. She didn't bear its symbol anywhere on her body. Her golden eyes shone through the mask she wore, almost like a cat's, as she surveyed the arriving adventurers.

"...I thought I heard a trap going off back in the hall." She immediately pointed a hand crossbow at Ryine as he stood in front of the necromancer, held in her left hand, though she didn't fire. She merely held it steady, the movement of her mouth obscured by the mask. "Were you really caught by such a simple machination?" She asked condescendingly, taking a few steps to the side, circling around the group.

"...You don't look like treasure hunters." She stated, in a mocking tone, before she glimpsed the marks of the Guild borne by all of them. "The Guild of Galas'nor, is it?" She asked with a chuckle, "Figures those greedy gold-diggers would be after the treasure as well..."

Throndir

The light of the torch flickered as it revealed the strangely garbed person before them. Annia's eyes drew wide in fascination, but a moment later, she narrowed them, this didn't seem to be any kind of zombie, ghost, or spirit of soldiers or kings, it was just... another treasure hunter?

"I was excited at first, but you're just another treasure hunter? I wish you were something... more. Oh! Not to say that you aren't interesting, you're great with traps and that mask is fascinating too. How do you keep it on? Is there a strap at the back?". Annia wondered how she would look with the mask on herself. She stared at the strange glowing golden eyes that came from the mask. "And you have pretty eyes too."

[spoiler] This dice roll has been tampered with!
Diplomacy 1d20+8 : 17 + 8, total 25[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

Around the room traps and the like had been either disarmed or dismantled. And what was everyone going on about. This was a crypt why had everyone decided to become so chatty. As Jorn emerged from the hallway his eyes locked onto the figure that everyone had become fixated on. A masked woman stood within, shrouded in darkness and carrying an air of mystery. Her movements and lack of hesitation presented a seasoned warrior one not willing to take chances. The question was would we work together or decide who would proceed further. Those eyes were the same shimmering gold that Jorn possessed. The light was not the best perhaps she was of his kind or of the darker kin like Saendal.

When Jorn spoke his voice was low and carried an air of authority, "You are correct we are indeed here upon order from the Guild. What of you, are you here of your own volition?"

Suspicions are still high and Jorn will continue to watch in case she attempts to act out against one of his companions.

[spoiler]
Attempting to ascertain if she is telling the truth or attempting to manipulate the party.
[blockquote]Skill Check: Sense Motive 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21[/blockquote]

Keeping an eye on her in case she should attempt to act against one of us. Magic Missile will follow if she should attack first.
[blockquote]Skill Check: Spot 1d20+3 : 6 + 3, total 9[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

"Well, at least one of you has an eye for beauty." The rogue replied with a smirk, keeping her crossbow trained on the group as she continued to circle them slowly. "...Perhaps I'll kill you last."

She gave a short chuckle as the fingers of her right hand graced the hilts of a row of daggers at her belt, ready to draw at any moment. She sensed the elf's tenseness. "I'm a treasure hunter, same as you." She stated calmly, "The only difference is that I'm keeping it all for myself. I don't have any intentions of splitting it with Guildies like you." She spoke derisively, moving her crossbow slightly to point it at Jornathel.

"If you turn around and leave, you'll walk away with your lives." She told them, "I'd consider it, if I were you. This tomb only has room for one treasure hunter. If you're after the same prize, I'll kill you, one by one."

Emperor Wilbers

Saendal grunts at the sound of the words emanating from the rogue's mouth. "You definitely know what words to choose, but whether or not you can reinforce the meaning of the words which you have so gracefully boasted is your decision. Wake up and look around you, thief. You are outmatched by both numbers and skill. Choose your words wisely, plunderer." Saendal then slid his sword out of his sheath a few inches revealing the shiny black metal.

[spoiler][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+1 : 17 + 1, total 18[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

Jornathel's words were cool though Annia picked out the low tension in his voice. Saendal's words on the other hand were more sharp. It didn't take much to know that the tension was rising quickly. Fighting monsters were one thing, but Annia made it a point not to engage in deadly combat lightly; only if the person gave no other choice in a situation, or if the person was truly evil, would she do so willingly. She eyed the mysterious women carefully as the person moved her hands towards the various daggers she had at her belt. The paladin herself tensed, though she did not yet make any move to draw out her own sword.

As the crossbow leveled and aimed at Jornathel, Annia moved forward, standing in front of her companion. If the crossbow would fire, it would have to go through her first.

"Enough of this!" Annia said, her voice strong and unwavering. "It would be better if we were to seek out whatever dangers there are in these tombs together rather than wounding ourselves before we've even faced the rest of the dangers the tomb has to offer."

[spoiler]I'd roll another diplomacy, but I think the previous one covers it. If you need another here:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 11 + 9, total 20[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Eireleen

"Were you listening? I said I'm not sharing." The rogue replied arrogantly, "If I thought I needed help, I wouldn't have come here alone." She didn't withdraw her weapon, keeping the small crossbow pointed at them. "I am Glint. And I've plundered more tombs than years you've lived." She turned her golden gaze to Saendal, her eyes seeming to shine just as brightly as Annia's torch. "Don't talk to me about skill when you lot triggered the same blade trap half a dozen times. I heard you coming all the way across the dungeon." She stated disparagingly, "You're cannon fodder, at best. I prefer to disarm traps instead of just walking into them like lemmings. Even if, for some reason, I decided to team up with you, you'd probably just get me killed."

"Go home. This tomb is no place for rookies like you." She gestured towards the hall they came down from, with her crossbow. Her other hand was still steady by the hilts of her daggers. "I know tomb robbers when I see them, and tomb robbers you are not. You probably think this is the same as any old adventure, kill the goblins and grab the gold. It isn't. Down here, you step on the wrong tile and no one will find your corpse." She says cruelly, "Save us all the trouble and leave."

Throndir

"The traps were indeed our own things to handle, and if you've heard us since we came in, I see not your reason why you chose to confront us now." Annia continued as she stared at  the rogue's fascinating eyes. "If you are not to share what you find in these crypts, then simply beat us to your goal. I cannot speak for my companions, but this tomb does spark an interest... I am here more for the adventure and traveling with my fellow guild members than to seek out the treasure." She paused as she thought about her days at the temple. "Have you read any of the stories about Miliana Jones?"

Annie... Jin, her mentor and katana, sent to her telepathically, troubled at his young pupil's thoughts.

"There were traps, dusty old catacombs that are ancient old, bad guys, traps with arrows, boulders, and there was even this one time when Miliana Jones-"

Annie! Annia stopped realizing that her mind was wandering about her old stories that she had read when she was much younger. She focused again on the strangely garbed individual in front of them, shaking her head as she did so.

"Anyways. Whether or not we survive through these tombs is something that is up to us. Put that crossbow away, even you have to agree a needless fight isn't something to your benefit. If you are truly confident to find whatever you seek before we do, then our group shouldn't be an obstacle." Annia took a step forward spreading her palms showing that she herself was unarmed.

"But know that I cannot standby if any of my companions do get hurt." She left the silent warning in the air, watching carefully at the rogue's next action.

[spoiler][blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 16 + 3, total 19[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Eireleen

The rogue gave pause for a moment, her glowing, golden eyes locked on Annia. Then, after a few seconds, she gave a confident smirk, raising her crossbow. "...Alright, then. It's a race."

With a grin practically plastered across her face, the woman turned towards the other end of the room. "The path splits into two up ahead." She stated. Anyone with darkvision could see it easily. "I'll take the left path. You take the right. At the end, it's finders keepers." She turned to the group, as she made her retreat. She walked backwards, keeping her eyes on them as her form faded further and further into the darkness.

"Good luck. You'll need it." As she left the radius of the paladin's torch, she seemed to disappear completely. She didn't turn forwards again until she had already taken her leave down the left hall. They were deep enough into the tomb now that the light of the moon no longer reached. That torch was the only thing between the party and complete darkness.

[spoiler]Annia 8/10
Jornathel 14/17
Ryine 19/25
Saendal 5/7

[/spoiler]

Throndir

"Should we take the left path?" Annia grinned as she asked her group jokingly. Not that she particularly wanted to "disrupt" the strange individual's plans of clearing the dungeon by herself, but she felt that she should have asked her group nonetheless. For Annia the exploration of the dungeon was reward enough, though she understood that many of the others with her came for other reasons.

Emperor Wilbers

"That, was interesting," the elf said rubbing his chin. "Well, we shan't let her get too far, shall we?" He asked rhetorically, walking towards the pathway on the right.

[spoiler]Place me on the first tile inside the right pathway.[/spoiler]

Oath

"I'm glad I let you guys take care of that one, I am not the most diplomatic individual." I follow behind Saendal, while doing my best to discover any traps.

[spoiler] Search check [blockquote]Rolled 1d20-2 : 17 - 2, total 15[/blockquote]
Put me in the tile behind Saendal, please.
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

The right hall led into another large room. The hallway itself was rather short, but even so, it still depicted a continuation of the tomb's story. After the end of everything, the collapse of the gold palace, and the death of the tyrant, came the burial.

It depicted the long-haired man from before. The spear-wielding knight that had protected the tyrant to his last breath. His burial was not given a ritual, or a tomb. His body was merely cast beneath the sands, to the mercy of the dunes. Within days, it had already been lost to time. By now, even his bones had likely eroded into dust, perhaps into the very sand that made up the desert itself. The tyrant was given the same treatment, on the opposite wall - the morbid engraving showed both their bodies buried beneath the sands.

...But if the tyrant and his knight were buried in the desert...how then, did this tomb exist?

The tyrant's followers held no admiration or respect for him. There was no one to sing praises of his exploits, or to give accolades of his rule. Throughout all the land, he was despised, and his name was cursed.

But someone, it seemed, thought that he deserved better...

[spoiler][/spoiler]