One Way or the Other

Started by Linwelin, August 31, 2016, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

[info]Mini mission!

Max Players: 2
Exp Reward (varies from 50% to 200%): 200[/info]

While wandering through the open market in Ternadan, you note a commotion a short ways ahead. It seems to be a dispute between a customer and a stall merchant.

You arrived at the scene just in time to witness a climax of the outburst. "2 gold!? You're charging so much for workmanship like this!? It's charming, I'll give you that, but it's no masterpiece!" The yelling man was holding a cloak clasp discerningly in front of him. "I'll give you 40 silver for it."

The merchant had a calm demeanor through the initial criticism, but it soon contorted in rage at the offer to pay 20% of the cost of the piece in question. "You dare to look down on my work so much!? If you want a clasp at that price, go to a general store. What I sell is art! This wasn't cast in some mold at a forge! It was shaped by hand! My hand! Are you calling my skill worthless!? The merchant's fists were balled up in anger.

"And what if I am? I've critiqued multiple pieces here, and it's all grossly overpriced! I wouldn't even be surprised if the materials were cheap." The comment was said sharply, and you felt as though something else was going on here. You also felt a sudden aura of blood lust from the vendor at the man's comment.

"You...!"

It was apparent that if someone didn't act fast, there was going to be a fight. A possibly lethal fight.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Lia Starweaver

It was a beautiful day! Lia decided as she randomly waved at passersby while she walked through the markets. People were out and about buying all sorts of things. Even though she had already experienced walking through the markets on her first day back. Being back again in Ternadan, especially the markets, brought a sense of joy to the young elf.

This was her home city after all, and though travelling in the wilds for months or years at a time was something Lia enjoyed, partaking in the silence of nature was completely different than home. Sometimes she would miss the bustle of the city. Among other things too, now that Lia thought about it. She missed things such as the crowds of people, the random pickpockets in said crowds, the bartering between merchants, the loud yelling from the mishandled negotiations, and finally, the prospect of running into a potentially lethal fight!

She nudged her companion.

"Don't look now, but it looks like they're about to kill each other." Strangely, Lia had the same bubbly smile she always had.

Neko

"Gosh! No matter how many times I go through the market, there's always something fun and interesting to see!" Sophie thought, as she eye'd the unique, hand-made items. Silly trinkets, useful tools, weapons, and food! Anything you could dream of could be acquired!

Although Mimic hadn't accompanied the maid today (Sophie had learned many lessons about bringing her raven friend around shiny objects), she wasn't alone. Lia, a friendly and according to Sophie , "Extremely adorable elf girl", had come along for the little adventure. Lia wasn't exactly around often, but, knowing the girl was an adventurer - the habit wasn't exactly a surprise. Lia certainly wasn't the only guild mate to disappear for long spans of time. Most would go on missions, some never actually came back. It was something the maid had grown used to. Sophie always made sure that when and if they did return, however, she always had their favorite meals ready, and their rooms clean!

Sophie gently brushed some dust from her dress. She wasn't wearing her usual attire today. Having the day off, Sophie had opted for a cooler garment - A small white sun dress. While she still generally preferred her uniform, some days it actually had to get cleaned.

"Oh?" Sophie directed her attention to the commotion ahead, Lia having mentioned something about killing. The elf wasn't kidding, it looked as if at any moment, the two would jump at each-others throats. Although the tension made her nervous, it was obvious someone needed to step in. "No no, we can't let this happen Lia! It's our duty as a guild to protect people!" Sophie stated. The maid quickly glanced around, before snatching a beautifully made sun-hat beside her. The shop-keeper had no time to react as she quickly made her way to the stand.

Having carefully placed herself beside the fuming men, Sophie smacked her hand against the counter, hoping to draw their attention with the loud bang. "Oh my!" Sophie exclaimed, dramatically bring her hand to her forehead, as if about to faint. "Such craftsmanship!" Seeing as the one starting the commotion still seemed to have the clasp in question, Sophie picked up another at random. "I've never seen something so beautiful in my life! Such work should be in history books!" She complimented the piece passionately. "Ah, yes, I'll be sure to inform the clasp society about this." She nodded to herself, next turning her attention to the shop's keeper. "Sir! I would like to buy this most skillfully crafted clasp, so I may bring it to the society and let them know of your excellence!" The maid told him.

While Sophie was never one to lie, she was one to keep the peace. The maid had little in the way of acting skills, but still gave the performance her all. She did her best not to break the facade, her heart nearly pounding out of her chest. She hoped, if nothing else, the dramatic act would be a momentary distraction and help the men to come to their senses.

[spoiler]Bluff check? :D
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Lia Starweaver

"Why, yes! Yes!" Lia piped in before the two citizens were able to respond. "The clasp society would love to take a look at those... umm... clasp things." Lia said with her bright grin.

"In fact... I happen to be in this so called clasp society!" She continued to smile, wondering how in the world people like Lyolf pulled these sort of tricks.

"Haha... hahahaha. Yes that's right I'm a member!" She gave the two a thumbs up, stuck out her tongue, and winked.

Lia Starweaver

[info]Bluff.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 20 + 4, total 24[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

[info]Though Lia's bluff is awful, and seen through, it distracts from questioning Sophie's, thus inadvertently aiding her.

Bluff passed!

However, requesting Appraise checks from both of you. The goal is to 1) Understand the actual value and 2) Make any artful insights on the item so as to continue your bluff.[/info]

The customer scoffs, "A society for for clasps?" He looks from Sophie to Lia, the latter of which he immediately dismisses as 'fake'. Then, he shrugs. "I suppose there have been stranger gatherings. But now I question your organization's abilities! How could you consider this artful? Which part of this is 'skillfully crafted'?" He holds it up to Sophie for closer inspection, obviously still in disbelief. "Please, enlighten me, miss 'clasp enthusiast'."

You note, however, that the shop owner seems to have relaxed. Though his expression also seemed to admit to exaggeration, he considered it genuine in some form. But mostly, he recognized you were stepping in before things became messy. His rage had certainly gotten the best of him before you two intervened.

Another thing your mood-changing speech influenced the scene was that both realized that they'd gotten much too heated, especially in front of two young ladies, let alone the crowd. Not wishing to seem any more foolish, they made an effort to simmer down.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Neko

Despite the situation, Sophie almost cracked a smile at Lia's attempt to help. Yet, somehow, even with Sophie's overly dramatic performance and Lia's...Well, that silly thing Lia did...The man seemed to believe them...Or, Sophie at least. "Please excuse my apprentice, she gets very excited! As a new member to the society, it is my duty to make sure she sees and learns about as many clasps as possible. Granted, she currently knows little to nothing!" Sophie smiled at Lia, and waved her hand - suggesting the elf come take a closer look.

Sophie really knew nothing about clasp quality. In fact, she had assumed she'd be laughed at and the situation would be over. Surely, she  could just give herself up and end it....But, no, for whatever reason, she felt a small hint of pride being part of some big society...Even if it was just for clasps.

Sophie cleared her throat as she took a closer look at the clasp he held in front of her. "Wow..." She said aloud, her reaction genuine. Not because she could truly understand what kind of effort was put into it - She was just easily pleased. "Well..." She thought for a moment, squinting as if to take in the details. "The color is very nice! And the metal itself, so smooth!" She observed. "Even though the design is simple...It's still pleasing to look at. Just because it's complicated looking doesn't make it good! Any clasp enthusiast should know this!" Sophie went on matter-of-factly. "Take a close look Lia!" Sophie gestured for her friend to do so.

She glanced at the shop keeper, before back at the man she was speaking to. Luckily, her plan seemed to have work.

[spoiler]

Appraise check

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]

[/spoiler]

Lia Starweaver

Lia puffed up her cheeks as she glanced at Sophie.

"Why am I the apprentice?" She complained, her voice low and mumbling to herself that she wasn't quite sure if even Sophie heard her. She raised an eyebrow when Sophie mentioned she knew 'little to nothing'.

Oh I see how it is.

Still somewhat cross, when Sophie beckoned her to go forward, Lia did so staring at the item in front of her.

[info]Appraise in next post[/info]"My master doesn't know what she's talking about!" Lia exclaimed. "Any clasp enthusiast would see that the design isn't simple. It may first seem simple, but if you take a look at how the overall shape and design, you would totally figure out it hides a subtle complexity. Gee master."

Lia said as she faced Sophie with a proud but almost mischievous look on her face.

"Maybe I do know a little more than little to nothing."

Lia Starweaver

[info]Appraise
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+0 : 7, total 7[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

[info]Appraise results:

Sophie: You can tell that the piece, in fact, IS poor quality. Though the offered 40 silver certainly is too low, the original 5 gold price tag is absurd. The only reason you'd say it's worth a gold is due to the quality of the materials; those, at least, are decent.

As far as design, you could tell he'd been attempting something interesting, but couldn't follow through on the idea, covering it up into a more simple design. Mechanically, it would still work, but it certainly wasn't an article to brag about, were you the owner.

Lia: You would definitely say that the piece is overpriced, but it wasn't that bad. You'd place it at around 2 gold as far as worth.

The design had some interesting bits to it. It looked plain at first, but had spots that drew your attention and deepened your initial impression. You honestly believed your own appraising words, it was a simple piece, with complexity.[/info]

"Hmph! Foolish speech. And you dare talk down to me? I, myself, am an accomplished jeweler. While passing by, I saw this man's work and the prices associated with them. The absurdity of it all enraged me, as I saw it as a mockery of my profession. that is not metalwork, this is!" The man drew a piece from his pocket, another clasp. This one was silver, shaped like a lily, and set with five slivers of garnet to look like the stamen of the flower in the center. It's shape was realistic, and even without appraisal you could tell it was a quality piece. Seeing your shock, he smiled. "This is art. Tell me, based on what you've seen here, and his prices, what do you think this is worth?"

At this point, the vendor had his eyes on the newly presented item. You wouldn't say his face was pale, but it was definitely not a pleased expression.

[info]Make another Appraise roll BEFORE you write, which I will respond to like I did above. RP continues after my response. I want to make sure you actually have an answer to his question haha.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Neko

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]

Lia Starweaver

[info]Appraise!
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+0 : 6, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

[info]Sophie:
You would say that the piece is worth 50 gold.

Lia:
You would say the piece is worth 100 gold.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Neko

Sophie held back a grin at Lia's response. She'd have to apologize later for her words.

Sophie looked at the item in awe. It really was beautiful! The petals seemed so realistic - Whoever had created this obviously put a lot of hard work into it.

The maid could tell her performance was nearing its end. It was unlikely she'd be able to trick him for much longer, in fact, she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle the pressure. But, seeing as she'd gone this far, it seemed pointless to not at least make an attempt at the pricing. She took a slow few moments to take it all in, a hand at her chin as she contemplated what its worth might be.

"I'd say, about 50 gold!" Sophie guessed. She crossed her arms, taking a confident pose.

Lia Starweaver

"Nu uh Master Sophie!" Lia said as she put a discerning eye to the trinket.

"It's at least twice that price. Look at how the silver gently caresses the slivers of garnet, as the silver tips reach out in a natural and exquisite way. It's as if nature itself has been captured by this clasp. Truly a fitting piece to admire for the clasp society. Even I, a most amazing apprentice, can tell the craftsmanship is worth at least 100 gold pieces."

"BUT!" Lia exclaimed as she moved forward and pointed at the first piece, the one that was worth a couple pieces of gold.

"Even this has a quality to it! It may not be as shiny or exquisite as yours my good sir, but can't you see it's charm?" Lia proceeded to put on an air of authority.

"This piece just oozes out a potential in its creator. Can't you see the work put into it? Can't you almost feel the fires of the forge as intricate tools slowly mold it, carve it, and shape it into the form you see now?" Lia moved her hands as she explained, being energetic and animated as she raised her voice in excitement.

"Your piece is akin to a noble who already is living in wealth and luxury. While that has a particular beauty to it, this more raw piece isn't tarnished to be as such. It's as if it was an underdog hero trying to move up in the ranks, or the aspirations of a simple soldier trying to be more."

Lia exhaled as if to release all the built up excitement.

"My master saw this from the get-go, the simpleness like that of the soldier who, struggling against his lot, would one day prove himself and become a hero. And there, my good sir, is where its complexity lies!" She paused again to build up the dramatic effect.

"And likewise, where it's beauty truly lay."