[IC] Treasure in the sands 2.0

Started by Mysticsage, March 24, 2015, 08:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia Sheel

The frustration Kin felt was apparent and it made Anastasia feel uncomfortable. It was very easy to impart thoughts and feelings through the link she shared with Kin, and over the last few weeks, she had realized that Kin spoke frequently and often, without holding back much of anything. In some ways she wished she could do the same, for even if she had some thoughts she wanted spoken, she would end up holding it in, not quite sure of what words to use.

She glanced towards Callista momentarily, then tugged on Kin's shirt a couple times.

"Where are the desserts?" She asked quietly.

Ella

Callista Fae

Oh, good. Relief swept through her. She had heard of faeries winking out of existence before, but both Ana and Kin said she was fine. Sighing with relief, Callista plopped herself down on Kin's head.

"Phew, I thought I was a gonner before I even got to see the dessert."

While Kin searched through the paperwork once again, Callista watched the scene around her again, wondering once again where the desserts were being kept hidden. As she let her eyes wander, they paused on a heavily decorated building. Now, in a place like this, there were two places that such wonderful things would be kept. One option was underground, hidden from view from most of the world and kept cool from the hot sun. The second place... well, it had to be that beautifully decorated place. It just had to!

"I know where they're hidden!" The faerie suddenly shouted, replying to Anastasia's quiet question. Hopping from Kin's head, she flew to the ground and transformed herself to her full size. "This way!" She called after grabbing Ana's hand to lead her off towards the pretty building. "Come on, Kin! Lets go eat dessert!"

Linwelin

Kin sighed. The only hint he had was to find some sort of tavern. In this giant, bustling, desert town. "Even the simplest task is never easy in contract work, is it? Alright guys, let's go find that "Dancing Winds" tavern the guy mentioned- What? Desserts? I told you already, this is a 'desert'. It's a sand-filled place. Though we'll find something good to eat in a little while- Hey, what the!? Callista! WAIT! Argh! I didn't sign up for being a damned sitter!" Kin had reached out toward the duo as they ran off. He could feel a mix of joy and panic coming from Ana, which was expected whenever she was dragged from his side to do something that interested her.

Kin growled in frustration as he ran after them. "The least that flying midget could do is find the tavern with her scouting abilities instead of eating sweets. Nine hells...!" And so the halfling sprinted after them, keeping his eyes glued to them so he didn't lose track in the crowds.

[spoiler=Check...?]I'm assuming I can take 10 to keep an eye on them, thus getting a 22 perception.

If not, then I'll roll, but I'll also keep an eye out for that tavern.

[blockquote]Perception:  1d20+12 : 7 + 12, total 19[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Anastasia Sheel

[spoiler][blockquote]Perception to notice the desserts... 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Bootman

Callista suddenly fell to the ground, with Anastasia in tow.  When they looked up, it seemed like the little girls had taken the least of the damage, as Aion was flat on his back, sprawled out as if he had been hit by a cart. The Shaman stirred, using a nearby post to prop himself up slowly. When he did, he reached a hand down to help the two of them up, but he didn't provide much assistance in terms of strength.  "Ugh... sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Trying to find my way around this... city has been..."

There was sudden realization on his face.

"Do I know you? You all look familiar." He responded warmly, ignoring the previous fall as he pocketed a map he'd been holding moments before. By the looks of things he'd been reading it upside down. Aion didn't seem to quiet realize they were fellow guild members, but they would recognize him.

Anastasia Sheel

Anastasia stared at the man almost blankly. Out of habit, she began to shuffle in closer behind Callista, and peered out at the man who was on the flat of his back. She was never really comfortable around big people, but to her credit she did manage to nod.

"The guild." She finally said. She recognized him, as much as she recognized everything and everyone else she had seen in the guild - even if they appeared only once for a brief visit to check the mission boards. To Anastasia it wasn't some special skill or trick, it was because she simply remembers.

Linwelin

Kin finally caught up, only to see that the two girls were confronted by a stranger. However, just before he drew his sword to defend them from the man, it clicked. "Ah!" Kin pointed at the man. "You! You even asked to come with us, but didn't even show up at the boat!"

The halfling walked up to make sure Ana and Callista were alright before addressing the man once more. "Where were you? And how did you even get to this continent?" The man was already mysterious when Kin had first met him, but now he was extremely suspicious.

But at this point, he really didn't care. Having finally caught up, Kin clasped both of the girls on their shoulders. "You two..." It seemed like he was about to be angry, but Kin actually had a plan. It was obvious that they wouldn't give up on the food. Thus, Kin would lead them to it. "I heard that this place called the 'Dancing Winds Tavern' has some sweets! Help me find it."

Quote[blockquote]Bluff:  1d20+6 : 15 + 6, total 21[/blockquote]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Ella

Callista Fae

"Ow!" Callista squeaked before instinctively rubbing her head. With her eyes set on the pretty building, Callista had not noticed that she had been about to run head first into the man until it was too late. She was not hurt enough to really warrant rubbing her head as though it were in pain. In fact, her butt was in more pain, having been the slight cushion when she fell backwards. Oh! But Ana was behind her! Quickly, the faerie twisted around to make sure the girl was okay. It appeared she was fine, considering she merely stared at the man rather than expressing any sort of pain.

Callista rose, the thought of brushing the dust off of her faerie clothing never crossing her mind as she turned to help her companion up. The man was speaking to them now, asking if he knew them because they looked familiar. He looked vaguely familiar to her, too... But then, were were a lot of white-haired males in the guild, so he could be any one of them. She had also seen a lot of people since joining the guild, being a busy-body who liked to stalk random people just for the heck of it. Was he one of her studies?

"I'm Callista!" She introduced herself. Since he didn't remember who she was, she might as well introduce herself, right? "What was that paper thing? Do you know where the desserts are hidden?"

Not long after, Kin's voice could be heard. Man, he was slow. He seemed to remember more about the guy than they did, though. She guessed she would let him do the talking, then. This guy didn't seem to know where the desserts were anymore than they did. While they talked, Callista decided to peer around again, just in case she could spot another place in which they might hide the desserts besides the pretty building.

All of a sudden, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She acted upon impulse, turned her had and licking the hand without a second thought. A huge grin spread across her face and she immediately started to shift into her smaller form to more easily escape whatever the halfling might do in return. "You taste funny."

"Oh! The Dancing Winds Tavern?! I've heard of that place!" Callista called before pausing. She had heard of it, but she could not remember where she had heard it from. She was pretty sure she had never been there before, so where...? 'Eh, whatever.' Flying higher up, the faerie looked around for a place that might be a Dancing Winds Tavern. If they had the desserts, then they had the desserts. She would find that place for sure.

[spoiler=Perception!][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 12 + 6, total 18[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Bootman

Aion slid into the group seamlessly, not missing a beat after his initial fall. As he walked close to Kin, he rolled up his map and shook it at Callista. "There aren't many good Desserts here. I've been to every restaurant in town and most of what they do are these... vegetarian dishes with cactus'. I could make better desserts myself, like a nice Crème Brûlée. Or even a Crepe Cake!" He got halfway lost in thought, thinking about all the desserts he could make, and the ones he wanted to try making that he didn't even notice Callista shrink in size before Ana reminded him where he knew them from.

Aion's face lit up a bit. "Oh! Guild comrades! I was... um... Oh, hi Kin..." Then his face slid down, slowly transforming from the joyous smile to a dodgy look of shame. His steps slowed a bit and when Kin scolded him as he followed around. Eventually he looked up again. "I... Joined a different Shadar mission and did it... all alone..." If it was possible, his tone swung even lower and more depressed then before. "...But good news is I did it. Those bandits won't be bothering anybody anymore." The swordsman said with a little surge or pride, clearly wanting his new friends to ask him about the mission, even though it was pretty simple. He just convinced the Bandits to stop robbing people at knife point and join a Mercenary band. It wasn't optimal, but now whenever they swung their swords around it'd at least be legal.

Linwelin

Kin was now jealous. While he was stuck in a fish barrel on a ship, this man went about coming to the continent on his own, and got a job done on top of it! The heat wasn't making the smell any better. "...Good for you. And them, I guess. Anyways, let's go find that tavern! And hopefully a bath of some sort, if that's even possible here. I need it." He then spun around to the excitable fairy once more to tell her not to run off randomly any longer, but she was already gone. "Where the- oh." He looked up to see the fairy at work scouting. "Finally." he muttered before calling up to her, "Any luck?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Mysticsage

Castilla flew up above the cityscape and realized two things immediately. The higher up you were the hotter you got, and it got even more likely that the dry moisture sucking desert wind would blow sand in your face. Without the ocean mist protecting her she quickly realized how uncomfortable this place was. Without any kind of shade it felt as if the sun was crisping her gossamer wings by the second.
When she finally reached a good altitude she got a clear view of the city below, despite the occasional face full of sand. Almost all the buildings were squat stocky things made from the same claylike substance, and only one or two stories into the air. She could see from the Sun's position in the sky that the group was on the south eastern edge of the sprawling metropolis. The roads were comfortably large and the buildings were well maintained. However, the same could not be said for even close by homes. Once you turned off these main roads there were near endless winding side streets, that turned the city into a incomprehensible maze of homes, shops and attempts at gardens. The closer you got to the endless maw of sand on the horizon the worse the living had to be.

However, there were a handful of places that stood literally above the others within her view. The first being due west from the center of town. A castle, if that word could do it justice. It was really more three buildings made to look like one. They were made almost completely of a polished white stone, with three large crystal spires sticking out the top of each one that almost dazzled her as she looked at them.
The second building was due east from the center of town almost on the outskirts of the entire city. The only reason that Castellia could identify it at all was because it was built higher then everything else. The even stranger thing was that the building was completely round like a ball, and was patterned out of shieny black stone in a way that remined her of the time she had gotten stuck in a beehive looking for honey. If she could make even that much detail out the building must be massive.
The third building directly north of the center of town was the tallest buildings she had ever seen. Almost seeming to touch the sky stood two polished black obelisks. Like siblings the two stood in opposition to nature itself.
Finally, and most appealing, in the direct center of town there was a massive square in which stood a massive tiered fountain that spewed forth water. Three stories tall the fairy could see the statue topper, a girl raising her hands to the sky while water poured from them clearly. Even despite the shear mass of people at this square she could see a mesmerizing sun mural made out of the pave stones. The shadow of the fountain created a perfect line to its outer edge. The water that flowed through the canals in the major streets also came from this fountain,

Looking at the tantalizing fountain and feeling just how dry her mouth had become an idea popped into her head. People need water to live, so living close to it is probably better then not. If a tavern would be anywhere somewhere close by that might be a place to start looking.

[spoiler]From there someone needs to make a diplomacy check to find the right place

DC 15
And you find it before dinner time
Otherwise you get there just before nightfall and take a exhausted status

please Ella or bootman describe this somewhat sketchy but well maintained inn and the people who run/are there when you arrive[/spoiler]

Ella

Callista Fae

What?! No good desserts? Cactus? What was cactus? What was crame brooleh? Oh! But she could probably guess what crape cake was! It was probably a cake made out of grapes. That's why they put the c at the beginning of grape instead of a g, because they thought it was a fun play on words. "Crape cake does sound good!"

The higher Callista flew, the more she could feel the hot sun beating on her dark skin. The moment she felt sand hit her skin, she changed her mind. The sun was bad enough, but winds carrying cutting sands, too? Pfft. The easy route was not worth it. Even if she went to a high enough altitude to avoid the sand, which would be too heavy to be too high unless it was some sort of crazy storm of sand - which would be super scary and would probably give her nightmares for months just thinking about - the sun was just too hot to bother. Besides, here eyesight might be good, but it was really hard to read signs from that high up.

From what she did see of the city, with all their pretty colors, it was actually an awful, ugly place. A lot of the "trees" she saw were leaf-less, looking more like green, mutated porcupines than trees. There were a few that had humongous leaves, though. Oh! She wanted some of those! She would definitely make sure to add some to her bag of holding before she left this place. They would make awesome outfits!

There was also that really pretty building that Callista had noticed from the beginning. It did not seem to have a sign on it that said it was a "Dancing Winds Tavern", but the more she thought about it, the more she came to realize that there was no way a mere tavern would have all of the glorious desserts that such a beautiful building would have. Sure, Kin might be right that they would have some sweets, but Callista was not looking just for some sweets. She was looking for the desert of desserts.

The strange black stone did remind her of a beehive, but she could not ever recall being stuck in one. She was a faerie after all, and faeries were friends with bees, especially faeries who were also druids. There was never a reason to enter a beehive when friendly bees would share honey with you if you asked kindly and offered something in exchange. She could remember a time when she had dropped a huge hornets nest on some guy who was being mean to the local Ternadan kids. That was a good laugh.

None of the other things really drew her interest. If she did not like getting her wings wet, then she might have dived head first into the massive fountain. Alas, Callista was not a swimmer, even in sweltering heat.

Ignoring the fountain, the faerie flew back down to Kin. "This way, guys!" She cried, pointing towards the big, white polished building before flying off towards the castle once more. It was obvious to her now more than ever. The reason why no one was finding the good desserts was because they were hiding them away within the pretty building, keeping them all to themselves. She paused after a few yards to make sure the rest of the group was following.

[spoiler]Callista totally leads the group towards the castle because she does not think logically enough to come to the conclusion that a tavern/inn might possibly be near a fountain.[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

With Callista leading the way through a number of streets the group begins to head towards the palace in the west with only the fairy the wiser for it at the moment

[spoiler]that's fine XD go where you like you are the ones in control here not me
I just tell you what happens as a result

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]With callista's guidance
DC raised to 30 to find tavern by chance along the way

if fail you end up in the flower covered palace district  at the first gate just as the sky turns orange as you have crossed the entire city.
[/spoiler]

Bootman

[spoiler]Rolling on command of lord Mystic Sage, long may he reign [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 11 + 7, total 18[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Despite Aion's attempt to get the team to the tavern under Callista's guidance the group end up walking for hours across the city of Izole. Several times the fairy has to zip up in the air to get a better look of something off in the distance, but she eventually leads the group through the side streets to the destination she desired without hitting any of the other important landmarks that the others might find important. Finally they turn off one especially cramped side alley and into a main thoroughfare. The shift between districts  was almost alarming as the roads and buildings in this area of town were obviously for the upper class. The buildings were made out of something other then the usual sandstone all varieties of marbles and sandstone adorned the walls in bright murals.This area was covered in exotic flowers in shades and sizes none of them had ever seen every home seemed to pride itself in outdoing the others in the size of their gardens.

Once the group looked up the palace could easily be seen lording over all from its position. Imposingly on the horizon the building and the crystals were outlined in the now dusk sun. Everyone but Callista can feel how heavy their feet are from the long walk and it was hard to not feel small and insignificant in contrast to this palace that seemed to be sparkling. This entire area seemed sand free as if it had wooed even mother nature with its powerful beauty.

Callista led the group all the way to the courtyard that signified you were entering the royal territory. The estate proper was still a good fifteen minute walk off into a forest of palm trees and all grasses, but here was as far as the public could go. A smooth polished marble outpost wall stood in the way with two large guard outposts either side of a sparkling intricately made as if was made from blooming flowers on the vine.

There were two imposing guards on either side of this gate wearing white polished half pate and helmets. With swords at their side they were almost remisinst of marble statues one would see in a garden. Their breast plates had a large sun motif emblazoned on them. One of them up nods in the direction of the group, at the other guard as you enter the courtyard though the make no move to say anything to you all from that distance. At this point dusk is just starting to darken as the sun sinks ever further into night.