Act 1, A Bright Beginning

Started by Burdenking, August 17, 2014, 08:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Zephyr was slightly surprised by the comment from the girl next to him. Not only had he not realized he had been talking aloud, but he was also taken slightly aback by the steel resolve apparent in her voice. A sentiment he did not share. He had learned enough about people through research for his novels to look at things with a more practiced eye. And to be honest in his opinion their were certain advantages in life to sticking with the devil you knew versus the unknown force. To rise against an empire of this size and power so braizenly and openly as the rebellion had even within the last few days required courage that was nothing short of insanity. How many corpses would have to pave their path to what they wanted? And what would the command structure do when the people willing to do as the rebellion had held the power? These were question he was not sure he wanted answers to if those answers were anything like his stories.

"Be careful not to become blind to reality of the world because of how desperately you want to cling to this 'chance' of yours. If you're not careful you'll find yourself consumed by those feelings like a moth to the flame or worse." Zephyr managed to glance at the girl who spoke out of the corner of his eye for a moment. She was abvously a handful of years younger then him. For a girl this age to be here she must be talented and have one hell of a story to tell.

Throndir

Aria Blanchette

As the stranger spoke, thoughts and memories of her past flooded the young girl.

"Blind to the reality of the world?" Aria echoed hollowly, her tone of voice slightly annoyed. "Where parents are killed right before your eyes? Where colonies lose half their population, starving, from blockades just to teach us a 'lesson'? Where people are killed one by one simply because they think we're harboring a rebel? If that's the reality you talk about I'd rather be that moth to burn in a blaze of glory to try change those horrible things!"

When she finished speaking, Aria was almost shouting. Her eyes had started to water, but she blinked them away as she held her steely gaze straight at the individual she was speaking to.

Meta

Nadiya chuckled at Hyacinth. "Yep.  But I'm not the one desperately clutching to human sayings to try to insult someone else.  When will your people learn to have any level of individual strength..." She shook her head.   

Then, she diverted her attention to Ion.   She gave him a little grin.  "Yeah, well...I'm afraid I'll disappoint you.   Not going to fight the little shrub.  Besides, I--"   The ifrit cut her sentence short at the sight of Zephyr.   Her hair started glowing with a stronger green blaze, and there were a few hotter spots on her cheeks as well.   She stood there quietly looking at the green haired man for a while...

But then she snapped out of it when she heard the echoing voice of the big human guy addressing the rookies.   She shook her head and looked around, seeing Hyacinth and Ion near her but then frowning and walking over to the line.   By then, she was closer to Aria and Zephyr and started listening to their conversation as she crossed her arms and seemed rather grumpy.  Probably that stupid plant thing, yeah.   Nothing to do with anyone else...even if she was throwing glances at that certain anyone else.

Mysticsage

Zephyr was unsure how to respond to the outburst of emotions. He could not decide if it was worthwhile going into the fact that fighting the empire meant fighting their solders, and killing them without question. They were men and women just like them protecting their loved ones, their friends, their family from the criminal rebellion looking to destroy the peace. Would a girl like this be so willing to spill their blood? To cause mothers to weep for their lost children. Would she go so far as to separate parents from children never to be seen again and changing their lives forever? What the rebellion was doing was an extremely selfish act one that was labeled as treasonous for a reason. Zephyr had his own plans that required he side with the rebels at least for the time being, but would this kid be able to shoulder the wait of her actions he was not so sure.

But then again as he continued to look at the girl he knew that he would not be getting through that wall of emotion any time soon. So maybe a little empathy would be what was needed in this situation. Without a second thought he rapped a strong arm around her shoulder and pulled her into a side ways hug making sure no one could see her dampening eyes. "Careful now, the rebellion attracts all types who hate the empire including those with less then savory pasts. We wouldn't want the wrong type seeing those tears of yours and thinking they can take advantage of a pretty girl like you. Take a second to recollect yourself before pulling away," he whispered just over her head so that only she could hear.

He could not help but smirk at the girl who was now leaning against his cotton shirt she barely came up past his stomach. Was this what having a little sister felt like? He had never really used siblings in one of his stories. He had always been an only child. Then a realization struck him, " My name is Zephyr by the way. Thought it was worth telling you the name of the person you're yelling at." He only held her close so long as he knew she had calmed down then let her move away without much fuss. He was curious to see how she would respond to his move.

Erynn

As the Ifrit walked away, and Hyacinth took her place in line, she couldn't help but notice the predatory look in the eyes of the MFL pilot.

"You really have a knack for convincing people to distrust you, don't you?", she asks rhetorically, then continues more sincerely, "It makes me wonder how you managed to convince your opponent to even enter the arena."

Hyacinth had indeed heard about the unexpected fatality, and recognized the man's face from the news broadcast. The footage had made it fairly plain to her that the final blow was fully intentional.

"How can I trust you to keep your knife out of everyone's back?"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

kai927

Ion keeps his predatory grin as the collective girl spoke to him, questioning his trustworthiness. "How can you trust me to not stab you and the other rebels in the back? Perhaps the fact I don't own a knife?"

"How I got my opponents in the ring? Well, if they wanted their money, they'd get in the ring and fight whoever they were told to fight." He laughs, "Aren't humans disgusting?" He shows no indication of caring about what the oddly proportioned man has to say, since it was undoubtedly a morale speech. He didn't need a morale boost, he was going to kill impies, what better morale boost was there than that?

Erynn

"You killed a man deliberately, with no remorse, and I don't see any logical reason behind it.", Hyacinth counters, "Whether taken literally or figuratively, stabbing someone in the back isn't something I would put past you."

Hyacinth continued to stare back at Ion. The man seemed to have no regard for human life. In the eyes of the young collective, he was little different than the imperials she sought to overthrow. If she didn't find a reason to trust him, this assignment was going to be a long one.

"Anyone possessed of any experience with a core would be able to plainly see what you were intending to do. Your opponent must have been able to tell, yet did not withdraw from the match."
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

kai927

Ion laughs again, clearly more amused than anything by Hyacinth's statements. "Going literally, well, it is only smart to stab people in the back. Less likely for them to strike back. Even better to cut their throats from behind, if a bit messy. As for figuratively, well," he shrugs, his face settling back to the predatory grin.

"And whether you choose to believe me or not, there wasn't anything deliberate about Jack's death." He laughs again, "Hate to break it to ya, but the MFL is all scripted. I was supposed to lose that match. Was going to be the first step down the path of the Demon's purification."

Throndir

Aria Blanchette

She wanted to say more. She wanted to continue telling him of all the atrocities Aria has seen in her short lifespan, of all the pain and hurt her friends, her family, and she had to put up with through the years. She wanted to yell and scream at this man who took lightly what it meant to fight for what was right. Who did nothing but belittle what everyone she knew had to go through. But...

All of a sudden the stranger's arms were around her shoulder. Before the young girl could react, she was pulled into a hug. It was unexpected, uncalled for, but Aria stood there motionless as the moisture in her eyes did not stop building. A few more moments and Aria got a hold of herself, using her sleeve she quickly patted her eyes dry. There was a slight blush as Aria hastily pushed the man away. She looked angry, but it was easy to note the stark contrast of a blush on her features.

Aria began to speak, but she ended up stuttering, and eventually just saying her name instead.

"A-Aria. Aria Blanchette."

Erynn

"So I can either disbelieve your story, and be stuck with a homicidal sociopath to worry about, or I can believe you and be stuck with a lethally incompetent ally.", Hyacinth retorts, a smug look creeping across her features, "Which premise would you prefer I adhere to when conversing with you in the future?"

Hyacinth had given Ion a choice. With any luck, his next words would be a revealing tell that would clue her in to what the truth of the matter was. The choice between seeming like a dangerous figure, or a totally incompetent figure was one she could reasonably predict the outcome of. of course, there was the third option. Choosing that option would be a tell of sorts in and of itself, though speaking more to the man's character than the truth of the matter, depending upon the nature of the response.

Hyacinth found herself mildly amused by the dynamic at work, even if the predatory grin did annoy her.

Burdenking

When everyone had begun to enter their lines, the large man stood silently. He would have started to speak, had it not been for a group of recruits had had begun to speak to one another. At first, one would expect the man to angrily belittle them, but the man just stood there and listened, and nodding as others stared at the group. The other recruits chuckled a bit, thinking the group would receive the angered yells of the commander, however a quick glare at them from said commander shut them up with confusion and slight fear. He stayed silent as they spoke, and processed all that they said and did.

When the young girl was embrace din a hug by the Soul smith who had been transferred here, that when he decided to speak, knowing what to say now. "As you can see here, we all have differing views of the rebellion, of the empire, and of the reasons others have for why they are here. Some come for revenge, some out of duty, some for freedom, and even others for their own personal gain...." He said, his voice going over the recruits. "However, none of this matters. What you want and why you want it can be shoved out the airlock and forgotten. On this ship, you are no longer the people you were. You are machines, just like i was. May not sound glorious, may not sound like what you signed up for, but i couldn't give a less of a damn," He said, causing some of the recruits to begin to speak out, but a quick gun shot from a lieutenant shut them up.

"Shut the fuck up! This is war, meaning the men and women on the other side feel the same, but you wanna know something? All you are to them is something to shoot at, something to end. Until you all see that, you will just die!"  The man said gravely, looking at the recruits "I'm no human, Ifrit, or Collective. I'm just a humble miner some stupid general decided to wake up. So i won't sugar coat it. This ship has seen more blood then any of you kids will bleed by the end of this war."

He seemed to quite down, deep in thought "All i have to say, is that none of you are heroes. You are mortal men and women, and i will not see anymore death as much as i can help it." He seemed serious, and then nodded "We will be immediately jumping to an empire controlled system, to invade and capture it. This ship will be at the front, meaning all of you need to know the risk of being on this ship. Remember the reasons you came here, but keep them to yourself. They do not matter from this point on. Now, report to your stations, you will be placed in squads under the command of my lieutenants and most likely be the first ones to hit planet side. Dismissed." He then began to walk off, handling order and paper work as the lieutenants began calling their squaddies. The team everyone had been place don was under the command of another awakened.

kai927

His grin unchanging, Ion replies, "Think what you want of me. Sociopath or incompetent. I care about your opinion as much as an imperial noble cares about the serfs on his farm."

After the commander gives his speech, Ion sighs, "Blah, blah, blah, don't die, the end. What a speech."

Erynn

"DROP THE WEAPON!"

The shout came from none other than Hyacinth, having quickly stepped out of formation the moment the shot went off, and reacted aggressively to the violent means of silencing the assembled recruits. Her own weapon was drawn, and pointed directly at the Lieutenant that had fired the shot.

"I'm not going to say it again! Toss the gun on the floor and kick it away!", Hyacinth continued to demand that the lieutenant disarm.

She turns her attention to the ship's captain when the opportunity presents itself.

"Are you out of your mind?!", she exclaims, "Did you seriously tell this man to silence fucking rebellion with gunfire?! Have you completely forgotten what drew us here to begin with?!"

Hyacinth, as cool and collected as she normally was, was absolutely livid at the moment. This 'captain' had just committed the cardinal sin of leadership. He had threatened the lives of those under his command, both through the possibility of a ricochet when the lieutenant had fired his shot, and through the potential for somebody to become violent at being threatened with a weapon. Further still was the possibility that entire assembled crew, having dealt with similar behavior on the part of the empire, might just riot. It was clear the awakened in front of her was as poor a leader as she had ever seen.

Burdenking

The lieutenant raised an eye brow at the collective recruit, him being himself a collective being. He was quick to drop the gun, seeming to not care much. He had really no level of interest in the loud collective, merely looking at her boredly. The captain turned to her from his descent down the stairs, then smirked. "So, you do not approve of my methods I take it little one? Good. Means you'll live longer. Not cause you have your own way, but you know I can be wrong." He began walking over to Hyacinth, seeming to limp as obvious straining noises from his leg could be heard.

He looked the collective girl in the eye, then slowly picked up the gun from the ground. He didn't stand with it, not wanting to be hostile in any intention as he pulled the magazine out. He then handed it to the collective girl " They're blanks of course, but tell me something. Have you ever seen the optimism and youthful pride leave someone's eyes? Seen them turn the eyes of someone who has lost everything is less time it takes to blink?" he seemed to ask, his face stone cold " If you have, you'll know why I have to make sure you kids don't go into battle expecting a victory on this hunk of junk. If you have, you'll know the deference between firing blanks in the air to silence some groaning, and firing live rounds into a little girls head when she refuses to fire the missile that could take down the enemy ship tearing up your fleet...." he said, a frown on his face.

kai927

Ion had followed the collective girl to the podium, though his reasons for doing so are anyone's guess. He stood there and watched the exchange, his arms folded across his chest. He listens passively to the awakened's spiel, though he smirks a little at the end of it. Obviously the difference is that one is messier than the other.

"Seems I am not the only wild one here," he comments with an amused laugh.