Legendary Tales - Refresh

Started by Grimston, July 21, 2013, 02:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimston

Having a few issues with the script editor.... I will have to delay the release, a little bit.

its not yet possible to get a working game with it. It's just to see how you think it works with its layout. Since I have not started on the client application, I see no point in adding Intellisense hints for script functions, other then a few basic python commands.

I have been playing with the idea of changing the look and feel of the editor by moving the side TreeView into Tabs, so you have a Tab with Properties, Locations, Scripts. inside the TabPage will be a list of items, and the editor control for the item, instead of the current view.

The issue I'm having is the highlighting is not working too well right now. Hoping I can release it tonight, and then based from your feedback, I can make improvements.
I'm a suicidal planet and I'm aiming at the sun,
All the gravity inside me will give way to a beautiful calm,
If you're gravitating to me, now's the time to turn and run,
I see a raging ball of fire, burning life lines in my palms

Grimston

Took a little longer then expected, but here is the current state of the program, in a usable form

http://updates.npipes.net/LTR-Dev.zip

My next step is to get location editing going, then I might jump ahead and start on the client application, and start on some of the more basic functions/events.

Intellisense, will be available, it currently pops up with the python keywords, it will also detect definition lines and highlight the function name in your script.

Auto-Update disabled as I have not finished the updater.

I have also included some sample data with the Zip file, some classes and races.

I know the syntax highlighting has problems as well with some things, such as strings and comments. but all up seems fairly reliable.

Let me know how the program feels to you, what could be changed/improved?

Hasabushi

Throndir

Ran into an exception upon trying to run the program! :(

Hasabushi

Same here having issues with .net framework keep getting an exception when I try to load a project or race

Grimston

Bah, that's a terrible first impression...  :-[

I guess there is a large difference between a Debug and Release build with certain errors...   :P

Lets try this again:
http://updates.npipes.net/LTR-DEV2.zip

Changes:
Dropped from .Net 4.0 to 3.5
Fixed Creating new Projects, to assign valid data.  ::)
Fixed Importing Classes
Improved the Syntax Highlighter (You can delete script files by having them selected in the list and then press Delete)

I have also included a test Project.

I might raise the project back up to 4.0 at a later stage, as 4.0 has more Dynamic Runtime support.

Either way let me know how it works this time....  ;D

Hasabushi

1st Impressions:

Very very nice layout.
scripting in python, is a much better choice for this style of editor, have to brush up on my python hehe.

Easy import of races, classes and skills, I'm assuming a package is a combination of the 3?

This is going in a really good direction, I like the whole feel of this. Great for a pre alpha release :D

I personally see this rapidly moving away from its LT roots, if you need a (graphically enchanced) GUI just let me know, I have something in mind already :D

Grimston

Yeah Python is my fav scripting language.

I spent awhile planing out the current layout.

What do you mean by GUI? the editors display? or the game client? I'm assuming the editor.

Correct, packages (Not Yet Implemented) are a set of objects, that are more, integrated with each other, sort of like a template. for example "Fantasy" contains the races , Human, Elf and Orc, It also contains the classes, Fighter, Rouge, Priest, Orcish Grunt.

Orcish Grunt, is dependant on having the Orc race to make sense, and as such should be packaged with it to keep them together.

I'm glad you like the layout. was a nightmare to get visual studio to do as it's told.... still complains sometimes...  ::)

On another note, the text editor that's used for the scripting will need to be replaced.... its incompatible with Mono, which ruins part of my aim (Cross Platform) So I will probably end up writing my own. Probably a good thing though... might get the hang of regex finally  :P

And I also agree, the target for this is a lot different from LT... its far enough a new name might be better.... any suggestions? ;D

Hasabushi

Fantasy World Creator :)

Lol

Nah, I have a few ideas.

World Creation Studio,

Harbinger Engine, (don't know why just like the sound of it)

Open Source Creation Engine (OSCE) (Ozzie)

All I can think of right now :)

Throndir

Put something relating to text-based game creation is my suggestion.

Hasabushi

Harbinger Adventure Text Engine (HATE)

Source RPG Text Engine (SORTE)

Text Based Game Creation Studio

Throndir

Quote from: Hasabushi on August 04, 2013, 11:51:12 AM
I personally see this rapidly moving away from its LT roots, if you need a (graphically enchanced) GUI just let me know, I have something in mind already :D

I have yet to try it out. Was planning over the weekends but ended up being busy in the latter half. A suggestion I could make is giving the ability to skin the client. Though that's just flare and isn't really a high priority. It would be a nice touch to give the devs working with your engine to be able to let their players play in a skin the devs make to match their games.

The UI for the original LT was really constrictive in my opinion.

Grimston

Quote from: Throndir on August 05, 2013, 09:35:03 AM
I have yet to try it out. Was planning over the weekends but ended up being busy in the latter half. A suggestion I could make is giving the ability to skin the client. Though that's just flare and isn't really a high priority. It would be a nice touch to give the devs working with your engine to be able to let their players play in a skin the devs make to match their games.

The UI for the original LT was really constrictive in my opinion.

Yeah, gives it a more polished feel. When I get to the client, I will need to decide, on whether to create a WinForms Application, or build a application around MonoGame.

WinForms - Simple, using .Net components (Skinning wise, will need to override drawing the controls. In effect recreate all WinForm Controls that are used.)

MonoGame - More complex, everything will be drawn like a normal game would be, advantage is you can then get more complex effects on your game, and gives a opening to more advanced features such as..... 2D view of the world.

I'm thinking more MonoGame for the client. and having the skinning, based from a bunch of texture files. which can be edited before the game will be compiled up.

Throndir

So just tried out the engine! It's looking great so far. Saw lots of familiar things.

How similar to LT do you plan to make this go?

Grimston

As similar as possible, while adding new features to it.