Morrowind

Started by Emperor Wilbers, April 02, 2012, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor Wilbers

Here's a fanfiction story i startedd based on the RPG Fantasy game Morrowind.
Enjoy!

Prologue

In the waning years of the third era of Tamriel, a prisoner born on a certain day to uncertain parents was sent under guard, without explanation, to Morrowind, ignorant of the role he was to play in that nation?s history?
?They have taken you from the Imperial City?s prison, first by carriage and now by boat, fear not for I am watchful. You have been chosen.?
Lightning struck in the background and water was rushing past every spot on the planet. Wantobi Hasaki could hear every little drip drop that was recurring. He started getting angrier as the rain drops got louder and louder. Finally he broke and started pounding his fists on the walls and tearing every little thing that exists apart. He simply went mad.
He could hear a slight creaking sound, as if someone had been walking on the floorboards back and forth, pacing until the supports underneath the floor boards got weak and couldn?t hold much longer, but that wasn?t the problem. He heard a giant SNAP and suddenly went quiet from his mental fit. He waited and waited for the building to come crashing down upon him but that didn?t happen. His feet started to feel wet and soggy so looked down in curiosity. The floor was covered in rain water about three inches deep. He could feel it ever so slightly seeping into his hard, leather boots. He hurriedly scanned the area looking for a source the water was coming from, knowing he didn?t have much time. There was absolutely no sign of where it was coming from. A panic-stricken look came upon his face as the water became knee-deep. All the organs, cells, veins, and muscles in his body became paralyzed. He went into shock, unable to think of any solution to the problem at hand.
He walked to the door about to open it to escape when he reconsidered the idea because their might be 20 feet of water outside the door. He jolted his hand away before it came to the doorknob. The water had come up to his waist now. Trying not to panic, but not doing a very good job at it, he looked for anything shovel like. There was nothing. He then started clawing at the wet, drowned ground. Doing no good, he started to think there was no way out, but kept telling himself there is always a solution to every problem. He just stood in the water with no hope, nothing to rely on to help him; he knew this was the end.
He stood there waiting for his slow, painful passing. The water had come up to his shoulders. He could see the faint light from the windows glowing in the water and decided that he should embrace it and enjoy being with it. He started to relax and eventually dozed off with no fear of death, but with thoughts of welcoming death in a happy, joyful manner.
He woke up suddenly to hear a humming sound. It started getting louder. He could then hear distinct sounds. It was a person?s voice; a male. Wantobi could make out what the voice was saying. ?Wake up, we are here.? Wantobi came fully awake and to his senses realizing the urgent situation he was in. ?Hello!? he yelled, hoping someone was here to rescue him. ?Why are you shaking?? the voice asked, not realizing what was going on. ?SAVE ME!? Wantobi started bawling knowing death was near as the water creeped up his chin. ?SAVE MEEEE!? Gasping in between breaths he was screaming for his life. ?Are you okay? Wake up!? The water had come above Wantobi?s head and he then closed his eyes and waited.
He waited longer. And longer. He waited so long he thought he was dead, and so he opened his eyes to find that he wasn?t in his old home anymore

?Sir, we have obtained something of some importance that you might want to see,? said a foul beast that reeked of terror, and made even the noblest of warriors turn and flee. The beast walked through a large room in a cave towards a leaning tower of chairs stacked up on each other. There were eight chairs stacked in such a reckless way it seemed as if they weren?t built from any mortal being. On the cave floors was a painting of what looked like a star, or a giant beast, surrounding the tower of chairs. The paintings edges were lined with red dolls, that seemed to glow in the dark and could see into your darkest dreams. The rest of the room was completely bare, but had an ominous feel to it, like you could never feel safe even in the happiest of times.
?Come closer,? insisted a deep, booming voice. ?Y-Y-Yes sire,? The beast staggered closer to the pile of chairs, not knowing what was behind it. It scanned the room cautiously and waited for a response. ?Sir, you need to see thes?- SLISH. The beast fell face forward towards the tower making a big smacking noise.
The beast could not move, could not breathe, and could not think of anything that had just happened. Green foam dripped from its mouth and when it hit the floor it sizzled and disappeared. A pair of lengthy fingers gripped the beast?s leathery skinned shoulders and turned it on its back. The beast could see a spear tip poking out of its lower torso. The spear was an elven one, decorated with golden engravings of several gods, which the beast could not recognize, and had writing written on the tip in a language far too advanced for the beast. Towering the beast was a tall figure that also had gray-blue skin that looked worn out and tough. The figure had on nothing but a loin cloth, and what looked like ancient carvings all over his body, forming symmetrical shapes far too complex and miniscule for an average eye. The figures head however was in the form of a sun, with long golden flame-like things branching out from its head. The head also had complex carvings and symbols, but what perplexed the beast the most was that the figures head was cylindrical, the flat sides being the front and back of its head. The beast then realized who was standing there.
   ?Hello Urien, good to see you again,? boomed the voice of the figure. Urien swallowed hard, urging to speak. ?Hello. Lord. Dagoth,? Urien had managed, coughing out more sizzling foam. ?Please, call me Dagoth Ur. I figure that you and I should spend our last minutes together as friends, and friends should call each other by their casual names. Don?t you agree?? Dagoth Ur?s voice was welcoming. He sighed and went on. ?I really wanted to get to know you better but when rules are abolished consequences must result. Away from that subject, how is your family? Fine I hope considering the bad news they will be receiving. What?s this, a letter?? Dagoth Ur took the letter from the cold hands of the dying beast named Urien. His eyes scanned the paper from left to right, getting faster as they went along. ?Ha, ha. Ha, ha, ha,? Dagoth Ur?s voice shook the room, yet the tower of chairs remained intact. ?Why do you look so pale Urien?? he said sarcastically. ?Oh well. I have to attend to more important matters, so have a good day Urien.? Dagoth Ur removed his spear from Urien?s limp body and started off. ?Oh wait I seemed to have forgotten to tell you something. This spear that was in you has the ability to keep one being alive no matter what injury. But, to live from any injury you have to pay a price. You will drop dead at any moment in your lifetime no matter what. I suggest you go home to see your family. Go have a fun time, because it could be your last. Happy trails Urien,? he turned and walked off out of the cave leaving Urien on the ground, pale and stiff as a rock. Urien stared off in the distance like nothing had ever happened.

Chapter One

The vision started coming back into Wantobi?s eyes. He had a throbbing headache, threatening to burst in his head. The hard wooden floors below him felt damp and the air surrounding smelled of rotten fish. ?Are you okay? Stand up,? Insisted the familiar voice. Wantobi waited a second to take in and process what he had heard. Hardly stable and unable to see farther than his hand in front of his face he started to stand. He was slowly rising until about halfway he shook and collapsed to the floor. It wasn?t much of a fall but for some reason his whole body was sore and covered with bruises and scratches. Contracting in pain he lay there unable to think of what to do next. ?Are you okay! Here, let me help you up,? a hand reached down and grabbed Wantobi under his arms and slowly started to pull him to his feet. The hand let go and Wantobi started to balance. Once he stood up his blood started pumping through him, his vision started coming back to him and he was able to see the person talking to him.
He was a little shorter than Wantobi with dark blue-gray skin that looked tough and dry like his. He was bald and had sharp long ears like that of an elf?s and had two Silver rings pierced through his left ear. He looked almost directly similar to Wantobi except for one thing on his face: a scar. There was a scar that ran down his left eye and went from fore-head to chin. Its widest was where it met his eye being eye width. He was wearing a brown ragged shirt and pant with the number 18625 stitched on his left breast pocket. Wantobi looked down and searched for a number on him but could not find one single number, even though their clothes had matched exactly. Once he had a good look at the stranger he sat down at a big wooden box that was like a copy of all the other boxes in the room.
The box was wet but that didn?t stop him from sitting any bit because he was so exhausted even though he doesn?t recall any strenuous activities. The room he was in was small and isolated from wherever he was at in the world. The air was dense and hazy so Wantobi figured it was the morning. Minutes passed by until finally the stranger had spoken up against the awkward silence.
?You had a rough sleep last night. Are you ok?? Wantobi groaned, but could not utter a word. ?You were moaning in your sleep last night. You said something about a, umm, well, a book. I don?t know what type of book but I just wanted to run it by you to see if you knew anything about that. Do you?? He seemed so determined in knowing this. Wantobi finally urged a word out. ?No,? a single word was all he could manage.
?Oh. How rude of me. I didn?t even tell you. My name is Jiub. My last name is my business. Might I ask yours?? ?Wantobi. Wantobi Hasaki. You can call me Wan if you like. Where are we?? Wan asked invasively. Jiub shifted closer to Wan and Wan did the same. ?I overheard the guards talking earlier?-?Guards!? Wan cut in with a shocked expression. ?Never mind that! And keep your voice down. As I was saying until I was so rudely interrupted, I overheard the guards. One of ?em said we had just entered the bay. He had asked what bay and then the other responded. The bay of Vvardenfell.?
?Quiet, they?re coming,? Urged Jiub. They could hear footsteps nearing. A panel on the door slid open revealing a pair of eyes. Then as quick as it opened, it was closed. A few seconds of silence, and then locks started clinking and clanking until finally the door opened.
A tall muscular man with a Go-T stood in the doorway. He had short, average hair. He was wearing light armor, it was brown, and had several insignias on the armor that looked like a dragon. ?Get up, filthy Dunmer. Get to the deck,? he commanded hastily. Wan and Jiub did as they were told.
Wan got up first, followed by Jiub. The boat was rocking back and forth as the pair walked down the crate filled hallway that led to a ladder. ?Get up on deck and meet another guard on the dock. He will be waiting for the both of you so try not to get lost, scum. Ha, ha, ha, I make myself laugh,?
The two headed up the ladder. They opened the wooden hatch leading to the deck. The bright sunlight blinded them. Wan covered his eyes quickly but Jiub just stood there. The boat was moderately large, contained several crates, three masts, a steering mechanism, and two doors leading below. The plank led out to the dock. They were in the middle of a swamp. There was a small town on shore with old, regular looking buildings. There was a light house and several buildings had bridges connecting them to each other. There was a hill in the distance and standing beside a cliff in the hill was a giant dust mite looking creature. It was about 80 feet tall and had a person standing atop the magnificent beast. Wan had a hard time taking it all in. It was so beautiful and peaceful. He stood there for a second or two in a sort of trance until his partner interrupted him. ?Just do what they say and everything will go smoothly. Ok?? Wan nodded in agreement and they started off towards the dock.
?You there! You need to come with me,? commanded the guard. They followed him into the large building at the shore. It was split up into three sections and by the looks of it, was used for government and trade. The guard opened the door into a large cozy room. The walls were covered with banners which had more dragon insignias on them. There were several cupboards and a desk next to a brick fire place with a crackling fire. The room smelled of fresh parchment. There was an official looking secretary writing on parchment at the desk. There was another guard on the other side of the room next to a large chest and another door that was heavily locked. A tall man in red robes with black lining stood next to the fire place. He had a long scraggly beard and a wrinkly old face.
?Talk to Socucius Ergalla to get your release papers and further instructions,? the guard ordered them forward. They slowly walked across the room trying to guess what might happen next. ?What?s up with all the dragon insignias?? Wan whispered close to Jiub. ?Well, this whole operation going on here is run by the Empire whose homeland is in Cyrodiil, home of the Imperials. These guards are from the Imperial Legion, the Empires army. Those insignias are the logos for the Empire. Get used to the Empire bein? around here. Now be quiet, I?ll tell you more later,? the two almost immediately went silent and then the frail old man looked up.
?Ah yes, I?ve been expecting you two. Let me get your release papers ready for you,? Socucius turned to the desk and grabbed some papers off of the desk. ?Let?s see here? First, I will need your identification Numbers. Let me see, 1, 8, 6, 2, 5,? he wrote down the numbers from Jiub?s outfit, glancing back and forth as he wrote. He then looked at Wan?s outfit and saw no number. He looked dumbstruck as his face turned pale. ?Uh, ah, umm, well, it looks like you will be getting a special treatment,? he started scribbling as fast as a wild horse and yelled to his secretary, ?Arvius, come look!? Arvius the secretary rushed over hurriedly. He leaned over Socucius?s shoulder. His face turned pale too. They turned around and started whispering to each other and making quick glances at Wan as they talked. Then they made little notes all over the release papers. Finally, they turned. Socucius spoke. ?You there, take these papers immediately to General Gravius in the next building. He will tell you what to do next. And you, follow him. You will be his assistant and will aid him in whatever may lie ahead. Do not question my orders and just follow through with them. You will find out soon enough. Good luck to you both,? he bowed good bye.
The guards watched as the pair walked through the open heavily locked door. ?What?s going on?? Wan asked. ?I have no idea but we will find out soon enough. Let?s just see this Gravius person and see what?s going on,? Jiub ended the conversation with a determined look on his face.
They walked through a dimly candlelit hallway with a blood red carpet on the floor. The hall ended with a giant stone door lined with ivy. Jiub pushed ahead and opened the door first. It was heavy and creaked as it opened. It led into an open courtyard about 50 feet by 30 feet. There were three doors one on the far end, and the other two on the sides. There were three people at the end of the stone courtyard. Two were guards and one was big, burly and had on large imperial armor.
?I bet that one?s the general,? said Jiub. They walked down the courtyard and about halfway there they noticed something. ?Look at the walls. There are guards covering the walls and they all have bows. I wonder if they were expecting us,? whispered Wan. The General looked at the nearing strangers and laughed hardily.
?Ha, ha, ha, what have we here? Let me see those papers, Dunmer,? Gravius commanded. He had a sort of angriness in his tone, like he could at any moment start assaulting everyone near and not feel a grudge. Wan handed the papers to the general hurriedly hoping he would not grab his arm and start choking him to death. His eyes scanned the paper and slowly but surely a smile started forming on his face. ?Ha, Ha, Ha, Ergalla will overreact at a spilled cup o? tea! You boys have nutin? te worry about. Although, considering the circumstances, precautions must be made. You boys head on over to Balmora. Find Caius Cosades there. He?ll help ya,? The general turned from angry to jolly but as soon as he ended his talking the air got bitterly cold.
Jiub, seemingly harmless, sprung his arm out and tightened his fingers around the General?s bulky, sweaty neck. The guards next to him pulled out their swords and came into an offensive stance. The bowmen on the walls aimed their weapons. ?Do you take us for fools, old man?! Stop your dim-witted chanting and actually take some pride in your work! You will be serious about this because whatever that man in there was talking about is serious and should be handled with care and not incessant laughter about how an old man yells over his tea!? Jiub removed his hand from the drooling General and the guards sheathed their weapons. ?And just how do you know it is supposed to be a big deal, hmm?? the general was calm. ?Because? Because I know it?s what it should be and I will never stray from my answer,? answered Jiub. ?I respect you for that. I am sorry for my carelessness and will take note. When you meet Caius you will tell him first thing that you are ?the brother of fate.? Got it?? ?Yes,? said Jiub and Wan harmoniously.
?You will exit through this door behind me and will set off to Balmora. Do not waste any time and make haste immediately. Happy trails, Dunmer,? he waved the two goodbye and they opened the door to a new world.

Chapter Two

?So, please explain just about everything,? Wan asked. Wan and Jiub were strolling around the town. They walked to a bench next to a river bridge and sat down. ?Do you honestly expect me to tell you everything about where we are, and what we?re doing here?? asked Jiub. ?No, I guess not. Sorry. Ok then, I?ll start with how I got here. The question?s on the table,? Wan asked expecting a solid answer. ?Well, I?m not exactly sure but I know we?re on the southern-most part of Vvardenfell in the province of Morrowind. I?m not sure which town because there are several down here and I don?t know the geography of the lands that well. I think it?s either Ebonhart or Seyda Neen but considering that there are no Imperial walls and towers I am leaning towards Seyda Neen,? ?Ok, so I am hundreds upon hundreds of miles from my home in Cyrodiil and have no idea of how I got here,? they came to no conclusion and after about 15 minutes of pondering and brainstorming Jiub thought up an idea.
?Well, what do you remember before that?? ?I was in my house, in the fields you know, and far from water too. All of a sudden as I finished my tea the house started filling up rapidly with water I couldn?t see outside and feared there was water out there too. I started panicking but I couldn?t do anything. I prayed to the divines to help me and then all of a sudden I heard a voice, your voice Jiub, and then once the water drowned me I appeared on the boat, with you. Maybe the spirits saved me but whatever it was, I?m thankful for it,? Wan went on about the day in the fields as a farmer, and that no floods have occurred in a longer time than he could remember. ?Ok, then that poses a question we will have to find out for ourselves,? said Jiub.
?We should probably get us some supplies before we set off. I know of a place we could go to. Follow me and um, once we?re inside you probably don?t want talk to anybody. You?ll know what I mean,? Jiub walked off towards a small little inn on the other side of the river, adjacent the town.
?Oh, ho, ho! Look who we have here, my old friend. How?ve you been doin??? a jolly man, whom was probably the bartender considering the red apron with beer stains on it, greeted us with a smile and rosy cheeks. ?Cyrus, it?s been ages. It?s good to see you. Listen, we need to talk about something potentially vital,? Jiub ended the cheery greetings before Cyrus the bartender drew too much attention to the newly arriving party. Cyrus?s smile went down and he gestured them to follow and they did so.
They stepped into a big room with a hearth, several kegs of Mazte, a local beer, covered one wall opposite to the hearth and along the other two walls were racks with herbs, ingredients, mugs, and utensils. A table was centered in the room with four chairs.
?So, what brings you back to the island of Vvardenfell? Wait, le?me guess. You?re here cause you had a run-in with the law eh?? Cyrus didn?t seem too surprised by the fact that Jiub might have been arrested. ?That?s not important how I got here. What matters now is that I?m here and we need your assistance,? Jiub was very straight forward and assertive. ?Well what is it you need kid?? ?We need a pack of food and supplies with two bedrolls and a lantern.? Jiub responded. Cyrus sighed and rubbed his head looking irritated. ?Listen boy, I can?t believe that you have the nerve to barge in and demand aid in some selfish adventure you?re goin? on!? he seemed like he was about to smack Jiub across the face in a furious manner. ?Cyrus! I?ve always gone to you for help when I was in a financial crisis and you?ve always helped. What has gotten into you?? Jiub looked confused and outraged. Wan took a step back to try to stay out of it. ?Notin? is wrong with me boy and I don?t like your attitude. I suggest you leave. Now! Get out! I don?t wanna see your face in this pub again!? he started pushing Wan and Jiub out of the building. ?Fine, we?ll leave. But something?s different about you and I am gonna figure out what happened to you,? Jiub stormed off with no intent of looking back. Wan simply followed.
?Come on, I think I have a little money left. We are gonna take the Silt Strider outa town,? Wan was not going to ask questions, and Jiub was not expecting any.
They walked up the hill to the giant dust mite called a Silt Strider. There was a sort of caravan car on top of the Silt Striders? back that was used to hold the passengers and had a Dunmer man standing in the caravan already.
They approached the man whom seemed completely unaware of the approaching visitors. The man turned away from the two and started tinkering with a toy of some sort. ?Are you going to say something or just stand there stalking a poor old man while he?s doin? his work. Hugh?? the old man spoke instantly almost knocking the two off their feet. ?Sorry sir, we didn?t mean to intrude, we were just wondering what might, well, um?-?He gets shy sometimes sir, my apologies. What he?s trying to say is that we were wondering if you could take us to Balmora?? Jiub cut in rudely but they both felt it necessary. ?Now tell me, was that so hard?? almost immediately he broke out laughing. ?He, Hee. That is too funny! Do you know that I do this for a livin? and it?s normal to ask me to take ya places, provided you have the coin of course. He, He,? he gave a weak little laugh and started skimming through pages in a book next to him that must have been at least 100 years old.
?Aha! Here we go, Balmora is just a bit north of here so it should be about 50 septims,? ?Okay, I can pay that but it?s cutting me low,? Jiub handed the money over and the driver put it in a little chest.
?Alright. Welcome aboard the Red Mountain,? They all stepped into the royal-like caravan, took their seats and set off to Balmora.

Dust was hurtling past Zabamund; with his hand raised he plowed through the wasteland he was trekking, his chitin armor clanking in a somewhat soothing rhythm. He approached the top of a hill hoping to see at least farther than a few feet. The wind started to pick up and the view distance decreased. He reached the top of the hill and was surprised by his finding.
   He could barely see his own hand. He did not know which way to go and he was nearly blind. The suspense was building in him; he looked around frantically, searching for an exit out of the storm. He knew he shouldn?t panic but he started to.
   He knelt down on his knees and prayed, the dust nearly blasting him off the top of the hill. ?Azura save me. Azura save me. Azura save me,? he prayed intently.
   ?I am here, Zabamund. The daedric mistress Azura hears you,? a crackly voice lingered in the air. ?My mistress? Is that you? How may I serve you?? Zabamund rose from his position and spoke to the sky without hesitation. Silence filled the air briefly. ?There is nothing you can do for me. What you should be asking is what I can do for you,? The voice echoed majestically in the dust. ?You can get me out of this storm,? spoke Zabamund.
   CRACK! Lightning filled the skies, not that there was a visibly distinct sky. ?DO YOU TAKE ME FOR A FOOL ZABAMUND HATARI, GHULAKHAN OF THE URSHILAKU?? Azura?s voice boomed like 1,000 magic Televanni horns playing from the heavens.
   ?No, of course not! I meant no disrespect, my mistress,? Zabamund fell back to his knees and started sobbing, dust knocking him violently around. In a matter of seconds the wind reduced speed and the dust blew less harshly. ?Good. I will get you out of this storm, but it comes with a consequence,? Zabamund hesitated and spoke again. ?Anything for you, my mistress.?   

Chapter Three

For the entire duration of the trip to Balmora the only thing that filled the air was the putrid stench of something strangely familiar, rotting. Wan and Jiub had guessed countless times as to what it might be, but, could never come to a conclusion. The driver?s name was Sal and he said that they didn?t need to know more than that. Sal, however, seemingly had no conscience of the rank smell.
The two simply sat there, awkwardly, waiting for someone to say something. What had been only about an hour felt like several hours.

?Will one o? you say sometin??! My grand mammy is louder than you! And she?s dead!? Sal screamed. His abrupt rant startled them so much they nearly fell out of their seats. ?Sorry, it?s just that, well, I told you he was shy, and I don?t talk much, and added on, I didn?t feel pressured to talk, nor did I know that we were supposed to talk,? Jiub lied. Sal took his hands from the reigns. ?Oh, well the least you could do is say thanks for takin? you to Balmora!? Sal exclaimed. ?I thought you did this for a living. If you did this for a living than it wouldn?t be so much a favor as it is a service. Or am I just mistaken?? Jiub questioned ?I do. But that?s beside the point.?
Wan didn?t know what to do. He decided to just let them blow their steam until they couldn?t go anymore. Wan took a seat on the cushioned bench to try to relax, and unwind. He shut out all of their pointless arguing and complaining and he lay down on the bench. It was so comfortable with its smooth fabric, and soft cushioning. He just simply, relaxed.
He was nearly asleep, and decided that he could let them go for a while longer. He then drifted into a deep sleep, filled with dreams of his old house and his old farm, and neighbors whom had treated him as family, and how his life was much better then.

Wan had been asleep for several hours now and had no idea of what was around him. He rose steadily from his sleeping position on the bench and rubbed his eyes. He yawned, and then saw that it was dusk already. Or was it Dawn? He couldn?t tell. He got up, and saw two bodies limp on the floor. Both had a wide smile on their face and mead was spilled across the floor. Jiub and Sal had gotten drunk.
Wan, still groggy from his sleep shook Jiub back and forth, until he woke up with a cough and mead spat from his mouth. ?Hey, get up. You two were drunk. What happened?? Wan asked with a tone in his voice that anybody would know that he wanted a truthful and solid answer. ?Ugh, I feel awful? What was that? Oh yea, um, well, we, we had the time of our lives last night. I hate hangovers.? It was obvious that Jiub was not in the mood for talking but Wan still went on. ?Do you know where we are?? ?I think we?re in the uh, one place with the thing. You know?? He looked around pointing at random trees and shrubs like they were some major landmarks.
Wan knew that they were lost, and most likely whatever was in the mead that Jiub and Sal drank had interfered with their heads pretty bad. Wan sighed and started pacing back and forth, an intent look on his face. Wan knew that if he had lost hope, he would never know where they were. He guessed they were probably miles upon miles away from any type of road at all.
Sal still lay on the ground of the gilded caravan, puffing out bubbles he was so drunk. Wan concluded on not disturbing him from his sleep and looked around the caravan for any drawers, or cabinets.
?You?re very diligent. Need any help on your scavenger hunt, doctor? Haha, I make myself laugh.? Jiub chuckled and talked but Wan was too focused on the current situation at hand to understand what Jiub was saying.
Whatever was in that mead somehow elongated the effects of the alcohol and as each minute went by, it seemed to get worse and worse. He woke up Sal and set him on the bench, expecting him to stay in a normal condition. Wan continued his search but found nothing.
He sighed and slumped down onto the bench. ?Why so down, kid?? Sal cocked his head like a dog does when he hears a strange sound. ?It?s hopeless. I can?t seem to find anything. Nothing about where we are, why we?re here, nothin?! I can?t find a single bit of evidence about anything on this godforsaken island! Why is everything so inevitable for me?!? Wan yelled out ferociously. He constantly thought about why he had to come to such a strange place.
?Well, I?m sorry for your loss, dearie, but, I think I can contribute to aiding you in this spontaneous campaign of yours, Mister Mayor.? Sal was out of it. Although, he was still making sense. ?What?! You have something? Where? What is it?? Wan was desperate, frantically asking for whatever Sal had, knowing that he would most likely die without any way of knowing how to get out of the wilderness and rocky terrain they were stuck in. ?Patience, Young one.? Sal reached his hand under the bench and snatched a golden rope that appeared as a decoration and pulled it. A large folded up package fell from the inside of the bench.
It thumped the ground loud enough to momentarily distract Jiub from his trance. Sal held it up in front of Wan?s face. It was tied together elegantly with a red bow. Sal blew the dust off of it and set it in Wan?s hands.
Wan delicately unwrapped the package as if it was a spring trap that could at any point in time release and end up very badly. Once the ribbon was off he started unfolding a large parchment poster which had a map on it. Wan tried not to let out all of his excitement at once and just stared at it for the time being.
He then set the map down (which had detailed images and descriptions of the different types of terrain), ran over to Sal and wrapped his arms around Sal?s skinny, but strong, body. He nearly knocked Sal off his seat and gave him a large surprise. Sal didn?t know whether at first he should hug back, but then he did.
?Thanks so much Sal.? Wan whispered in the old man?s ear. Sal pushed him off. ?No problem, Doc! I?m just kidding. I?m a little drunk still but your friend here drank a very large quantity of mead, though. By the way, that?s not actually mead. I traded it in for a couple of septims. It?s actually mostly Mazte, and a few drops of Skooma! Don?t tell anyone though!? His voice was hushed, periodically glancing over at Jiub.
?Haha, thanks for telling me. I guess I have no reason to worry, huh?? said Wan. ?No. Nothing to worry about. So, what?s the game plan??
?I guess for now we can just look at the map and try to figure out where we are, and then hopefully Jiub will be fit for travel. We would travel faster on foot rather than getting the Strider to climb this perilous terrain we?re stuck in. Alright, le?me look at that map,? Wan sat on the wooden floor and sprawled the map out on the floor too, for an easier perspective of looking at it. Sal squatted down next to Wan, ready for whatever Wan had to say.
?Okay we were originally on the path from Seyda Neen, to Balmora,? Jiub was tracing the route with his finger. ?We?re probably about ten hours off course. Let?s see, we?re right next to a big lake, and there are barely any trees. It?s very rocky and mountainous, so, where do you think we are?? Wan examined. ?Well, by your description it sounds as if we are right next to Lake Nabia, in the northeastern part of the Molag Amur region,? Sal sighed and looked down sorrow.
?Well, I?m guessin? it is gonna be about a day and a half to two days before we get to Balmora. That?s a rough guess, but it would take longer if we encountered any problems along the way,? Sal said. ?What types of problems?? ?let?s just worry about the task at hand before we start worryin? about the things that are out there.?
They simultaneously gazed over at Jiub. He was passed out on the floor. Wan laughed. Sal smiled and chuckled, ?You have quite a friend here. Keep him close.? Wan wasn?t quite sure what he had meant by that.
?It?s almost noon. We should eat. What do you have? Keep in mind that we?ll have to use it all sparingly,? Wan asked. ?Don?t worry. I have plenty of food in storage I keep for the longer trips that go all the ways across Vvardenfell.? Sal walked over to a cupboard in the corner of the caravan. He opened it and on the inside were boxes of ingredients, herbs, mixes, and any other type of food you might need on a trip. ?Bring all we can carry, just in case,? Wan said. Sal pulled out a couple of backpacks from a cabinet next to the cupboard and started dividing the food into three sections, one for each pack. Sal began putting the food into each pack. ?I figured the food should be divided just in case we lose a pack. Then we?ll still have at least some food left.? ?Good thinking,? Wan replied
Once all the food was divided and put in each pack Sal put in the rest of the necessary items that he scavenged from any other containers and drawers he could find on the sides of the caravan.
?Alright, we?re ready to go,? said Sal. They woke Jiub and handed him his pack. He seemed normal again after that long sleep. Jiub put on his pack. Wan and Sal told Jiub what had happened during his, disconnection.
Sal went to the side of the caravan and unlatched a rolled-up a rope ladder. The ladder unfolded and fell all the way to the ground. ?Down ya go,? he said. One by one they climbed down the ladder.
Once they got to the bottom they brushed themselves off and wet their hands off from the rope burn. They turned towards the lake and their stomachs dropped to the bowels of their bodies. Standing in front of them was about ten burly people standing on the shoreline. They were there to ransack them.    

(panda)