Chapter 2A - The Jewels of Beenleigh

Started by pringerbeam, February 19, 2017, 04:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Annalise Schwartz and Ilsa Raisch

As the day dawns one spring morning each of you recieves a letter.  Sealed with wax, the letter bears a crest.  Upon opening the letter you find the following written.  You are invited to join the Blackwatch Association.  If you are interested in learning more of this association or in joining, you are invited to tea with Lord Blackblade of Lancaster at the Blackwatch Association's clubhouse in London this afternoon at three o'clock.  You find the address to the clubhouse written at the bottom of the note.

Oath

[spoiler=Click for Music]http://youtube.com/v/s8FMgxjl9oM&autoplay=1[/spoiler]

The morning was peaceful, Annalise was in her study poring over some papers and enjoying her morning tea, a habit she had picked up since coming to London. Her family back in Potsdam were coffee drinkers, and that trait had been passed down to her. There was a gentle knock on her door, and before she could respond it opened.

Her most loyal servant, Jonathan was at the door with a letter in hand. "Annalise, you've got post, just the one letter today." He approached the desk and set the letter down in the corner. "Would you like some more tea?"

"That would be swell, Jonathan, And thank you for bringing the post." He nodded and left the room as swiftly as he had come. "I shall return shortly."

She read over the letter, she hadn't the faintest idea of who this Lord Blackblade of Lancaster fellow was, but it was a chance to learn something new. Perhaps this association could be a benefactor in future endeavors or provide a connection that would provide some sort of benefit in her pursuit of knowledge.

As Annalise finished reading the letter, Jonathan returned with a new cup of tea. "Thank you Jonathan, I've an additional task for you. The letter that arrived is from a Lord Blackblade of Lancaster. He has interest in introducing me to the Blackwatch Association. I've no idea why he knows of me, or what he believes I can provide but I'd like to accept the invitation. If you could arrange transportation and accompany me to this meeting, it would be most appreciated. It is at the hour of three,"

"As you wish, Annalise. I shall make arrangements and inform any that wish to meet with you this afternoon or this evening that you shall be away."

"Thank you, as always Jonathan. You make life here much easier. I shall excuse myself and make preparations for the coming hour." Anna rose from the desk and left the study with a short bow to Jonathan. She then returned to her bedroom to prepare an outfit appropriate for the occasion. A blue evening gown with black trim, and a silver brooch inlaid with sapphires. A simple silver hairpin added as decoration as she decided to just wear her hair straight.

Transportation arrived with ample time to reach the address that was provided. Annalise and Jonathan stepped out of the carriage with fifteen minutes to spare. A lady should never be late, after all.

pringerbeam

You find yourself in a busy part of town.  Businesses and their patrons buzz with activity and commerce.  You come to the appointed address: a four story brick building much like its neighbors.  The building would be unidentifiable if it were not for a gleaming new brass plaque next to the door. 
The Blackwatch Association
Private Property
No Solicitation

A simple brass knocker adorns the door, awaiting use.

Oath

After identifying the building in question, Annalise approached it, letter in hand. She gripped the brass knocker, and proceeded to tap it on the door three times.

Asta

Ilsa sat on the far end of the bar at a nameless public house that sat nestled between two derelict looking buildings on a cramped street in the London slums. The letter she had been delivered remained unopened, the pristine wax seal with its ornate crest peered back mockingly. Her travel funds were nearly spent, and the thought of asking her family to send enough money to make a return journey to Zurich stung mildly.

She took a drink, and swallowed.

"There's no harm in opening it I suppose..."

The short letter inside perplexed her. Unfamiliar with the aristocracy in London, she had never heard of this "Blackblade of Lancaster" so the name meant nothing. What troubled her was why some member of the social elite knew her name, and what this Engländer could possibly want from her.

She looked at the clock, it was five minutes to noon.

Folding the letter carefully back into its envelope and stuffing it into her breast pocket, she emptied her tankard and rose to her feet then slung her rifle (carefully wrapped in padded cloth) over her shoulder. She fished her wallet from her other pocket and tossed three pence onto the bar by the glass. She knew she had overpaid for her drink, but it was a minor annoyance. "Confound the English and their stupid currency."

Exiting the bar she began to wander toward the center of the city, mulling the offer listed in the letter over. Finally she decided that she might as well meet with the man, lest he decide to send the constabulary after her for whatever reason. With about three hours before the stated meeting time, she would be able to find the building regardless of her unfamiliarity with London's busy and winding streets.

pringerbeam

Annalise
     You are greeted at the door by an ogre dressed in the uniform of a butler.  He looks you and Jonathan over and you notice an ever so slight sign of relief on his face.  "Ah, you must be Dame Schwartz.  It is Dame yes?  I am not entirely versed in the titles of your homeland and would be agast if I should offend with an improper title."  The butler moves aside and allows you entry into the building.  "If you would like your manservant to be kept at your side you are welcome to.  The servant work does not require his aid, but we can arrange a place for him to await you during your tea should you so desire."

Ilsa
     Despite the unfamiliarity with the street of London you are able to find the address eventually, arriving ever so slightly before the appointed time.  You find a woman and what appears to be her servant a the front door speaking with another servant.

Oath

"Greetings, sir. Dame or Lady would be swell. May I ask for your name? I appreciate your offer, and if Jonathan could accompany me that would be fantastic. He is the most dependable fellow I've encountered thus far," Annalise bowed to the ogre. She hadn't seen too many of t hem yet in her stay in London, but she thought that they were quite a fascinating species. Her family only had human servants, so seeing someone of a different species serving the house was intriguing to her.

pringerbeam

"I am Carlson, personal butler to Lord Blackblade, Dame Schwartz."  He bows slightly at this.  "If you would like, Lord Blackblade awaits you in the main hall, straight back through those doors."  He motions down the short hallway to a set of double doors.  "We apoligize for the poor furnishings, the buidling has only recently been purchased and has yet to be set in proper order."

Asta

Ilsa hesitated for a moment, watching the woman and her attendant speak with the large servant that emerged from the front door. She looked wealthy, stirring up the feeling yet again that coming here might have been a mistake.

After a moment the large servant ushered the pair inside, now would be the last chance to turn around and leave. Ilsa shook her head slightly, disagreeing with the notion of running away. "Was denkst du wird davon werden?" <<What do you think of it?>> she said to the empty air beside her and waited for its reply. "Ja, es gibt nicht viel zu verlieren. Lass uns gehen." <<Yes, there is not much to lose. Let's go.>> she said after a moment of silence, and stepped up to the large servant.

"Guten Tag... Errr, Good afternoon."

Oath

"Thank you for your hospitality, Carlson. I shall meet with Lord Blackblade straight away. Care to join me, Jonathan, or would you rather wait in another area?" Annalise stepped through the threshold of the building, thinking to herself that there was no turning back now.

She followed Carlson's instructions before emerging into the main hall.

pringerbeam

Annalise
    "I will stay at your side m'lady.  One never knows when one might be needed." Jonathan follows you to the main hall, stepping ahead only to open one of the doors before you.  The hall itself is massive, more akin to a courtyard than a room.  Skylights illuminate the hall which rises all the way to the roof of the building, sunlight reflecting off the polished marble floors.  The room seems even more massive for the lack of furniture.  A single dining table is set for tea, an island among the emptiness of the room.  Seated in a large chair is a massive ogre, sipping a cup of tea and watching the floating motes of dust dance in the sunbeams.  Hearing the echoes of the door opening he lookes over to you.  "Ah yes, do come over, tea is ready!"

Ilsa
     The butler looks at you, his eyes drawn to your wrapped gun.  "Ah, then that would make you madam Raisch?  Do come in. his lordship is waiting.  May I take your package?"

Oath

[spoiler=click for music]http://www.youtube.com/v/_gg2SnujpEE&autoplay=1[/spoiler]

Annalise gave Jonathan a quick thanks as she stepped into the main hall. Her eyes wandered the room with wonder. She was a lady of a well to do family, but the size and build of the room was impressive to say the least. The voice of the ogre brought her out of the trance-like state she had entered admiring the architecture, and her hard steps echoed throughout the hall as she approached the tea island.

With a courtesy, Annalise greeted the ogre. "I am to presume that you are Lord Blackblade of Lancaster? It is a pleasure to meet you, though I know not why I have been summoned. She took a seat across from the ogre. "Regardless of the circumstances that have brought me here, I am pleased by your invitation and look forward to learning about your association this afternoon."

Asta

Ilsa tightened her grip on the strap over her shoulder. "I would prefer not, but I assume it was not a request. It is an item of terrible importance to me, do treat it well." With that, she removed the carefully wrapped rifle from her shoulder and handed it to the butler hesitating to release it for just a moment.

She then removed her hat, folding it carefully and tucked it in a side pocket on her coat.

"Your master is through the door, ja?

[info]Assuming that Carlson says yes and lets her go on, Ilsa will follow after the other woman and her servant into the main hall.[/info]

pringerbeam

Ilsa
     Carlson takes your gun and, upon getting a grip on it, realizes its nature.  He suddenly seems ot take greater care with the weapon, as if afraid he might set it off with improper handeling.  "Ah, yes madam.  He is right through there.  You may have your... package... returned upon leaving.  My name is Carlson, personal butler to Lord Blackblade, should you need anything." 

Annalise
     "Yes I am Lord Blackblade of Lancaster,  It is a pleasure to meet you my lady."  He rises from his seat to take your hand and kneel, still managing to have to look down at you despite this.  "Please, have something to eat.  Carlson makes an excellent cucumber sandwich.  Ah, and it would seem out other guest has arrived.  Do come and  have a seat."  He moves to pull out a chair for you and the newly arrived Ilsa. 

After waiting for you both to have a seat he sits in the chair sized for himself.  "I'm sure you have many questions so let me begin with the organization itself.  I have decided to found an association of like-minded individuals who wish to do something better for this world.  Things have become increasingly chaotic in the world and I hope to do something to help.  That is why I have newly founded the Blackwatch Association, to help fight the things that lurk in the shadows, and I was hoping that you two might be its first true members."

Asta

Before taking her offered seat Ilsa gave a short bow to the man she presumed to be Lord Blackblade and the well dressed woman.

Aristocrat. She surmised.

"Herr Blackblade, und Dame."

She took her seat and rested her hands on her knee the fingers intertwined, then listened very closely to Blackblade's explanation for calling her here. When he was finished speaking she paused for moment to consider his words before speaking.

"When you say... help...?" She left the question unfinished, its meaning implicit then spoke again quickly. "This may be out of turn as well, but as you are likely aware I am an officer in my country's military. My superiors might find that one of their Wachtmeister, excuse me, Sergeants belonging to an organization operated by a foreign national to be problematic."