CH 1 - An Invitation

Started by pringerbeam, February 12, 2017, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

You do not see any visible bleeding as Sir Holt passes you by and makes his way down the street.  You follow him as he makes his way on foot through the city and across a few districts before arriving at the Thames.  There he makes his way towards a dock decked out in finery and where a large steamboat is moored.  Violin music drifts your way on the winds  as you watch high class guests arrive either by foot or by coach to board the boat.  Sir Holt makes his way to the servants where you see him present himself before boarding onto the boat. 

Mysticsage

Jason gave a sigh "You better not die on me old man." He ran to make to the boat once there was a little lull in the guests arrival. He made it up to one of the servants purposely red in the face. "Sorry I'm sorry I'm late I'm one of the female servers for the party. Can you point me to the kitchen buddy? If I don't get in there soon and get changed then the chef is going to have my head." He did his best to bat his eyes and look the part of the roguish waiter as possible knowing full well how unreliable staff can be at times.

[info]Charm
Because I assume I need it to get on

+1 for handsome
using 2 fate pts
[blockquote]Rolled 4d6 : 6, 3, 3, 6, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

exploding 6s
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9[/blockquote]

pringerbeam

[info]Black Dice
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 4, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

The servants give you a dirty look for a second before one of them speaks. "Well hurry up then.  They're embarking in a few minutes and the horderves are about to be served and get into uniform for archons' sake."  They motion over to the steamboat before returning to attending to the increasing numbers of geusts arriving for the party.  A steam whistle toots two quick tones and one of the servants turns to you.  "Thats the five minute warning.  Better get on board."

Mysticsage

Jace moved on board quickly with a nod leaving his head down and quickly heading on board and headed down to the smell of cooking food. His heart was beating he was about to be stuck on the Thames on a boat full of the high elite and a bleeding man who very well could fall to pieces. He breathed and steadied himself once things got started he could corner Holt if need be and force some further information out of him. Maybe then he would be able to figure out what the hell was going on here. But first he needed to be able to walk among people without notice.
Once he makes it to the kitchen he will enter and begin looking for both the chef and any left over uniforms that he might be able to disguise himself in. "Hello, head Chef I'm an extra server that was hired on at the last minute." He did his best to stand out of the way of any servants helping to set up with the first course. "They said I should chat with you and your head waiter and that you would have a uniform for me?"

pringerbeam

You make your way onto the steamboat.  Its decks are crammed with partygoers and the ship's compliment of servants.  You make your way through the crowded corridors to the kitchen.  The kitchen is chaotic, pots boil off delicious aromas and the sound of knives chopping away fill the cramped space.  Servers rush past you out into the party or into the kitchen to restock on appetizers and drinks.  The head chef responds swiftly without looking for you.  "There are spares in the closet over there.  Now get changed, if you aren't talking to the sous chef with a tray in hand in the next two minutes I'll throw you into the river myself."  He points over his shoulder with the knife he is currently using to carve up a roast duck.  A server brushes past you in a rush, stumbling on your heel.  The tray they are carrying, loaded with delicate appetizers and sauces to go with them, slips from their grasp headed straight for the head chef.

[info]If you choose to do so, make a wits+dexterity roll to catch the tray[/info]

Mysticsage

Jace does his best in a swift and trained motion to catch the tray not wanting to see good food get wasted.
[info]
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 6d6 : 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 4, total 25
[/info]

pringerbeam

The platter seems to move in slow motion before your eyes as its contents fly againts the back of the chef's head, knocking his tall hat onto the meat infront of him.   The kitchen is deathly silent as the platter clangs to the floor.   All the servants stare to watch what happens next.  The chef takes the knife he was using to carve and stabs it point first into the cutting board with a loud thud.  Everyone in the kitchen flinches and the server who had tripped practically jumps at this.  Then in a fit of rage the cheft upends the cutting board with a loud yell.  He grabbs his soiled hat and turns, slapping the server with it.  "You clumsy lout!  And you! Standing there like a baboon!  Both of you get out of MY kitchen or the next appetizer with be miniature sandwiches made with your tongue meat!"  He turns around to the rest of the kitchen.  "Why are you all standing around gawking?  Get back to work or I'll have every one of you fired!  And someone..."  He picked up some of the scatered food off the floor and angrily tossed it at the nearest servant.  "Clean this wasted food off the floor!"  He growls and roars and turns around to suddenly turn deathly quiet and pale as he looks to the door out to the party where there stands a tall man in a black soldier's uniform.  The man stands rigid and tall, a tightly cut thin moustache marred by a scar that runs across his face.  A saber hangs at his hip, a revolver holstered on the other side.  He speaks with a quiet voice but is easily heard as the kitchen seems even quieter than when the chef was on his rant.  "Chef Andre, your outburst was heard by some of the guests and the interruption to the service of  Lord Darby's guests has begun to be noticed.  I have come to see if there is anything that might be amiss..."  His eyes have been drifting across the faces of all the servants, coming to you he looks you right in the eyes.  "Who.  Are.  You?"  His hand drifts down to his sabre.

Mysticsage

"Help hired for the party sir. I know my way around a kitchen and needed the extra money and as you can see the Chef need the help." He pointed look at the now mess on the floor. "I apologize for the distraction sir. It was my fault for being late I'll go about cleaning this mess up right now. I really need the money sir." He made sure to keep his hands away from his waist to show no weapons or trouble were to be had. He also kept eye contact learning that if one was spinning a story the delivery was that much more important. Then to break that stalemate he interjected turning his attention to the chef. "That beurre blanc sauce smells like its going to burn soon if someone doesn't attend to it sir. You cannot afford another set back" He hoped that commenting on the food would force the frozen kitchen to start moving again like the giant steam locomotives. Once a kitchen began firing on all cylinders even the queen would have a tough time getting it to stop.

[info]
high class to sell the station and lie 
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 1, 5, 6, 6, 1, 1, total 20[/blockquote]

Cooking knowledge to seem useful and maybe get vouced for
adding +2 for smell
[blockquote]Rolled 9d6 : 2, 6, 6, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 1, total 30[/blockquote]
[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]for presence  high society role
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 1, total 6[/blockquote]

For cooking prowess
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 2, 1, total 3[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

The man draws his saber from its sheath.  "Nice try, but if that was the case I would have met you.  Everyone else has."  He slowly waves the blade across the room before pointing the saber at you.  Indeed, everyone definately looks like they know the man and they look terrified.  "Now, I will ask you again.  Who.  ARE.  You?"

Mysticsage

Jason took a breath slowly his mind moving what seemed a million miles an hour he needed to buy more time at the very least.  If he could not talk his way out of what was to sure be incident reported on the next day's Gazzette he was going to let his one chance at employment slolip through his finger tips. He allowed himself to deflate in that moment letting his own crushing anxiety cross over his proformance. "My name is Carroll sir Lewis Carroll. I'm a cook sir, and  a bloody good one too, Let the chef tell you he'll attest to his burnt pot now gone to waste. I snuck on board because a buddy of mine his master got an invite. And I know I'm good enough to work. I only needed a chance so I snuck on board knowing a kitchen always needs extra hands."

He paused and decided to go one step further. "I want to work sir, and with each passing second you need the help.  Every moment the guests do not have there needs met is another blemish on you and the house Darby as hosts. What's more you are almost ready to set sail meaning the upper deck is filled with noble eyes. To throw a man into the Thames possibly to drown or.break his neck would ruin the entire evening. So from what I can see it's in your best interest to let me work as a hand I'll carry trays help cook the meals. I'll make up for the trouble i've caused with honest sweat, and bask in the complements for the food tonight. It's honestly the best way to maintain face sir and keep me watched."

[info]wits high class
+1 fate point
[blockquote]Rolled 7d6 : 6, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2, total 26[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

pringerbeam

[info]Black Dice
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 2, 6, 4, 3, 5, 5, total 25[/blockquote][/info]