CH 1 - An Invitation

Started by pringerbeam, February 12, 2017, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Jason looked like he was about to protest once again but let the lord finish out of deference for his station. What he said stung deep he knew that he could not wallow in the dark forever if he ever wanted to find a cure before he ended up someone else entirely he could not afford to waste a moment. Plus he had only spent a few months on the street and he was already nearly falling to pieces he was so far not cut out for that kind of life. With a sigh that was a mixture of resignation and defeat he paused then made sure he was looking the lord square in the face with the burning of a starving man."You can have my service sir with some stipulations. One being that you knowingly accept the fact that I may very well bite the hand that feeds me as it were, and you will need to plan for that. You'll also have to bare with my lack of experience in the matters you are looking for me to pursue and it will most likely force you out of the shadows one day. And finally, you have to find me work as a cook be it here or some other establishment I don't care but I refuse to be going hungry if you have me doing work." He held out his hand then firmly for a handshake never breaking eye contact, "So do we have a deal your lordship?"

pringerbeam

"Ah ha!  There we go, that's the spirit!"  Lord Blackblade got up from his chair and enveloped you hand in his massive paw giving it a firm shake.  "Of course, I never intended you to go hungry if you are working for me.  I sometimes forget about such things as a side effect of my priveleged upbringing.  I can look into finding you a place to work, I can also see to arranging a stipend for you and while we are at it...  Carlson, if you would make an errand to Weatherby's and see if they have anything in size for our friend here."  The butler, who had somehow managed to bring in a tea trolly and appropriate snacks without making a sound, nodded and produced a length of measuring tape which he swiftly ran along your arms, legs, and torso with expert precision.  "I will be right away m'lord.  Is there anything else you would like procured?"  Blackblade took a moment to ponder before responding.  "No I don't believe so, I think getting some appropiate attire for our colleague would be of greater importance."  "Yes m'lord."  Responded Carlson as he bowed and quickly make his way out of the parlor.
     Lord Blackblade walked over to the tea trolly and took a cup to sip from...  "Now then, How's about we get down to business?  You are not the only person I had hoped to found my this little association with so I need you to set out and have a talk with an old friend of mine: a man by the name Sir Albert Holt.  You see I aproached my old friend but he rebuffed me in a way that was so wholly uncharacteristic of him that I fear something may be amiss.  I don't suppose you could have a talk with him and see if there is anyhting you can learn?"  He asked before taking a bite from a scone which he had loaded with fruit preserve whilst he was talking.

Mysticsage

"Well, doing this work is my job now right? So I have no right to refuse to check in on this Holt, though I doubt I'll have more affect then you if you know him personally. But I'll set out to his house within the day if I can manage and see what I can accomplish. What can you tell me about him?" Jace greedily took a bite of a scone then loaded with similar preservers to his host savoring a taste that he thought he would never be had again. Taking a sip of tea however he studied his new employer looking over his jolly form and general air of wealth and power before frowning. If he was a military man as he had claimed he must be aware then him of what was required but looking at him now Jace had to wonder how long ago that was.

"Sir, I don't wish to be overly forward. But if you wish to accomplish your goals you are most likely going to be making a number of powerful enemies if you have not all ready." He stopped trying to choose his next words carefully, "One might start thinking about getting back to a fighting weight if you get my meaning." He pointedly looked at his stomach, "And trust me while I know better then most how decieving looks can be but it would make me feel more stable in this work environment if I did this work to find you dead or worse. At the very least I could write up a meal plan for you that would help with energy and general health." He looked earnest enough in that moment while he thought he might be able to get him to shed a few pounds. "I did not just learn the wondrous affects of butter after all".

[info]
Attempt to persuade him to at least hand a menu and some notes to his staff to get him in better form.
(Want to hold off that eventual time when the whole group goes to shit and we have to go it alone lol and it lets us figure out how to roll)

Etiquette to attempt to persuade and not offend him considering class difference
[blockquote]Rolled 5d6 : 1, 6, 5, 3, 4, total 19[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Black Pool (Difficult task)
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 4, total 8[/blockquote]

Yeah, so with how kinda weird the black dice pool is feel free to roll your "normal" pool for any task you want to do and I can just roll black pool afterwards as needed.  I believe philosophically that as far as difficulties go anything that would normally be easier than average difficulty is easy enough to just be written in as rp flavor.[/info]

pringerbeam

Lord Blackblade looked down his chest to the belly below and let out a chuckle.  "Hohoho, you do have a point there.  It has been a long time since I was in fighting form.  I guess being away from the fight has given me that certain bloat one tends to find in my class."  He patted his paunch with his hand a few times.  "Being as cooped up as I have here in London, I have gained some additional circumference and I appreciate the sentiments... As for Sir Holt, well we met back in the orient.  He enlisted in the army and I was his commander.  Together we fought plenty of pirates, bandits, and worse which is why I am so concerned with his behavior.  An old comrade in arms wouldn't simply turn another away as he did.  Anyways, after returning from his tour of duty I helped him set up an imports service from which he was able to make enough to purchase a knighthood.  He was always an adventurer at heart, he enjoyed traveling to exotic places and tinkering with what curisotities he came across as a hobby.  I figured he would be a valuble ally in these times."

[info]Lord Blackblade is unoffended by your remarks but you are unsure whether or not he will take the advice to heart.[/info]

Mysticsage

Jace let the rest of his concerns for his new patrons wellness lie for now thinking that he would come back around to it when the next opportunity presented itself. Most likely those kinds of concerns could go through Carlton and end up with better affects then the man himself if what he had learned about nobles through the years were true. For now he had a job to focus on in order to get his next meal. He tried his best to push images of him just fetching sticks for treats out of his mind. He knew he was smart and knew how to run a team well from his times in the kitchen he only hoped the people he was gathering know what the hell they were doing because when it came to diving into the dark of London he was well and truly lost.

"If you could let me borrow something marked with your crest, a pin or a letter would be fine. I doubt that even with a clean set of clothes I can get in the door without anything to show that I'm worth letting in the door. I'm sure I look a bit of the more ragged then the average salesman." He gave a small laugh then a thought hit him like a lightening bolt. "I assume he has a home here in the city? I've never left the homeland and to be honest I don't know how long I would last alone in a foreign land."

pringerbeam

"Ah, yes of course, I almost forgot."  Lord Blackblade moved over to one of the cabinets along the walls and produced a small box.  "I had these made for the occasion."  He opened the box to reveal two silver rings adorned with his family crest, not unlke the golden version resting on his own hand.  He proffers the box to you.  "The second ring would be for Sir Holt.  Maybe having it on you will help convince him."  Suddenly, Carlson once again with devilish silence appears with a box in hand.  "I have made a purchae of available clothes for mister Lord."  At this he opens the box to reveal a full set of new clothes: trowsers, shirt, vest, and underneath it all a dark grey greatcoat.   Lord Blackblade beamed.  "Excelent, I believe that should help you get on your way. Oh, and Carlson, if you have any leftover funds if you could give them to mister Lord.  I believe he is in need." At this Carlson slowly and deliberately withdraws a Shilling from his pocket and places it on top of the folded clothes before closing the box and offering it to you.

[info]You gain a set of fine clothes and a greatcoat.

You also gain the asset Middle class income rank 1 (and the associated shilling)[/info]

Mysticsage

Jason took the bundle and nodded to Carlton. "I suppose I'll take that as my cue to get started then," he was starting to awkward never being a military man despite feeling like he was being sent on a hunt and still feeling uncertain about what exactly was going to be happening next. He had gotten swept up in the moment and now he had to deal with the consequences. He stood half nodded half bowed to Lord Blackblade and then followed the butler out of the room. Once the door was closed he gave a small sigh, he asked if there was a place he could get changed. Following Carlton's direction he quickly got changed. In the process realizing the butler was most likely outside the door he started some small talk. "Carlton, do you think you could right down the address of this Sir Holt for me? I assume you know his Lord's address book."

He paused for a moment then shock his head. "I must be mad throwing my lot in with someone who wants to go against the powers that be. I can only imagine that you are worried sick about what could come down on this household. Not that your duty would allow you to voice it I'm sure. You are a better person of character then I am Carlton, which is why its your job to look after that man and I'm acting the pawn. Sometime we should sit down and get to know each other if we are going to work together. I like to get to know those who I'm expected to work with."

He opened the door fully dressed looking a fair bit more put together he could be quite handsome given the opportunity despite his slight stubble and hair. "So how do I look," he asked fidgeting with the ring now sitting on his finger "will this Holt fellow pull a rifle on me if I'm dressed like this?"

pringerbeam

"You underestimate the duty of my station.  As the butler to the Blackblade household I am bound to serve any who bear the family crest and as of the moment you slipped that ring onto your finger, the very same ring that was given to me by his lordship's father, that includes you.  However, being inducted does not entitle you to the same level of propriety as his lordship and his family.  It is our duty to uphold the name of the house and that requires frankness and honesty amongst us to protect his lordship.  To that end, my honest opintion of you has yet to be formed."  He looked you over as you emerge from the closet you were changing in.  "My first impression is... rough...  However, it is a rough man who might be required by his lordship at this time.  At least you know how to wear appropriate clothing.  I will implore you to come to the house in pproprate attire in the future as to avoid future scandal.  The Blackblade house's name is a delicate vase, requiring careful maintenence, cleaning, and appropriate handeling.  A noble house of ogres is scandelous enough.  So scandelous that few would even deign to serve them as their title would require.  That is all I demand of you, to respect this house as a member of the House of Lords."  He then produced a small card with the address for Sir Holt.  "As for Sir Holt, he is a perfect gentleman, fully deserving of his title.  He would never pull a rifle on you or anyone else without due cause.  He is a man of the world and endlessly curious.  I am sure your meeting with him will go smoothly."

Mysticsage

Jason was taken aback by the sudden switch but understood the sentiment the moment that someone sat down to have a meal he made sure to give the costumer everything he could. "Well I'll try my best not to disappoint Carlton." He patted the taller man near the shoulder and then moved towards the door. "Wish me luck and lets hope I'm good enough to get our Arthur to pull that sword from the stone."
---
Once outside he turned up the collar of  his jacket looking like a new man, he shoved his hands in his new coat feeling the ring box. Thinking about the up coming hunt and battle of wills. Not realizing how much time had passed if any he started his walk to the house of this strange inventor. The question was did he want to scope out the place first and try to get some more unbiased background or would it be better to dive in head first and let the man see honest interest. If what Carlton said was true about his curiosity he imagined he would be more open to a person who knew less of his stories. In fact, that moment a thought hit him he might be able to show him something that would spark his interest as an inroad to open conversation. Feeling the shiling in his pocket he headed out to grab any materials he might need to put on a little show. Hopefully this inventor had a few scraps in his fridge he could work with.

[info]
I'm still a little shacky on how the money works, and they don't have a ton listed here in terms of average items so just tell me where the line in terms of my shilling is.
---
A Backpack (Messenger bag) 4/10
A cheap bottle of red wine 4d (assuming prices)
Flour  Unknown cost
Peas Unknown cost
Dried herbs Unknown cost
Apples Unknown cost
a bottle of olive oil Unknown cost
Cheapest flank of mutton/ or rabbit he can find Unknown cost
[/info]
Now laden down with various bags and began heading to the address he had been given before hand.

pringerbeam

You find yourself in the neighborhood of Sir Holt's home.  A much less lavish section of town, but still quite respectable.  The row houses are quite a bit smaller but still high quality construction.  The street is quite a bit quieter than that of Lord Blackblade's residence, perhaps it is due to the encroaching evening that casts a golden hue from the setting sun, now low enough to pierce under the smog cloud that had drifted into the sky throughout the day.  Regardless of teh reason, you find yourself mostly alone on the street.  You had passed a single constable on patrol but they seemed bored and payed you little mind, their boredom likely due to the lack of beggars on this street, and a couple headed off to some other engagement.  Finally, you arrive at Sir Holt's rowhouse.  A simple two story rowhouse, narrow (only perhaps twenty feet wide), but still a lavish home compared to the crowded hostel you are currently residing in.  While the curtains are drawn they are illumintated from within by lamplight.  At least someone seems to be home.

Mysticsage

Jace now looking like a grocery delivery boy to anyone watching him on the street he went up to the door and gave it a solid pair of knocks. He didn't know how secret was secret for his new employer so it was nice to at least feel like he was getting rid of some suspicion if neighbors or more sinister onlookers were watching. "Groceries for you" He called up to the window after a moment.

pringerbeam

The door is opened by a Bull beastman.  He looks down at you and narrows his eyes.  "You've got the wrong address.  We're not expecting any groceries."  He then swiftly slams the door closed.

Mysticsage

"That was brisk." he said out loud before setting his shoulders and knocking again. "Groceries for you sir paid for by Lord Blackblade. As means of a care package." He was generally unaffected by the response because honestly this is was almost exactly what he expected to happen. That was why he asked Carlton if he looked alright, but he did not even get a chance to speak. Which all told was far from the worst end he expected.

pringerbeam

The beastman opened the door again.  "Sir Holt isn't expecting any care packages.  Now, go away."  You see a man descend the stairs within the home.  This new man is dressed in the finery of a man attending a high class party of some kind.  He comes to the door.  "Bernard, I will be going now to Lord Darby's party...  May I ask what is going on here?"  He stops at the entrance, his way blocked by you and the beastman.  He gives you a looking over.  "I'm sorry, who are you?"