Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Rekkart grabbed the flint and steel and started on the fire. Eventually, Tablark, Killian, and Patrissa made their way up to you. Tablark saw What Rekkart was going, and clamored for attention.

"Aetius, there's a problem." The old dwarf said as he pointed back towards the southern exit. "We can't get out." The hole that they had created was 3 ft. in width, and about 5 ft. in height, which should have been enough for everyone to go through, however the dwarf's worried features seemed to conflict with what was apparent. He continued.

"Whenever we try to step out, we're sent back in."

At this point, Sir Rekkart, who had an ember going, though not yet a full blaze, looked curiously at the dwarf. Killian and Patrissa however, confirmed what he had said.

"It's true my boy." Killian said. "You put a foot through, and before you know it, you're standing back inside."

Patrissa shook her head.

"Whatever put us here, wants to keep us here."

Throndir

Aetius:

"Rekkart, we'll come back to this plan later. Instead of using our backs we'll use our heads. Let's all go back into the great hall and talk." I call over Killian and tell him privately. "Can you help me calm Halgrak and Ebin down so we need their head in the game. Tablark, while we're talking in the great hall, keep your eyes on Malgrim's body. I don't want to see the Ravens or a dark sorcerer to desecrate it." We walk into the great hall, in the middle of the room. "Ok everyone gather round and let's talk. Tell me everything you can about the trial from start to finish. I'm sure the answer to get out of here is right in front of us."

Throndir

[info]I want you to roll Sense Motive for each NPC, to see if you can detect if anyone is lying, or not being completely truthful.  - Be warned, that if you low roll, I'll just describe that you don't notice anything suspicious. Roll 1d20+1, 7 times for the 7 remaining NPCs. Also roll Diplomacy 7 times, 1d20+4, to see how willing they are to share information, and how much of it)
(Give me each of the results one by one, first the 7 Sense Motive, then the 7 Diplomacy
(Rolls are for the chars in this order: Madge
Sir Rekkart
Patrissa
Tablark
Killian
Halgrak
Ebin[/info]

Throndir

(Ok, I'll roll them for that order.
)
21, 13, 14, 8, 15, 5, 20
14, 23, 20, 6, 18, 10, 18

Throndir

Tablark nodded as he made his way towards the western doors, stopping right before going in, and keeping a wary eye on Malgrim's body and the few raven that remained.

"That damn ole' broke-neck Mord..." Tablark said as he looked at Malgrim's dead body. "Never liked that Malgrim, but that poor fool didn't deserve that." Like Tablark, the rest of the group was shakened from Malgrim's death, his body still swung from the rafters.

Using the embers, Rekkart managed to create a makeshift torch from a broken piece of the bench, as well as some old cloth that was used as table covers. It was already getting dark, and looking at the light creeping between the boarded windows and the gaping hole created at the southern doors, it was around 7:30 PM. Madge, with her backpack, pulled out a few scraps of food. She, among the original 7 remaining jurors, was the only one to have carried food with her, due to the fact that she lived out in the streets, and usually always carried something to munch on. As each of the group talked about the trial, she handed out the pieces of food; bread, some cheese, and jerky mainly. It was hardly enough, and Madge had to split her morsels of food evenly by 7. What was supposed to be one or two meals for the halfling, became a light snack for the group.

[info](I think your char has some rations too, so you can choose to give those up if you want)

Madge: Sense Motive: 21, Diplomacy: 14[/info]Madge was the first to speak as she pulled out her small backpack and began pulling out the food.

"Jarbin Mord was an evil man. How could he not, being the executioner of this courthouse? He's killed so many people in the name of the law."

You noticed Rekkart stare at her curiously, as if to correct her, but he chose to be quiet.

"I'm sure he killed innocent people too! Even if some trials aren't fair, the one we held for Jarbin was." Madge said. However, you get the feeling that she wasn't telling the full story. She seemed to be hiding some detail in her explanation.

[info]Sir Rekkart: Sense Motive: 13, Diplomacy: 23[/info]"You are a good man Aetius. And I know you are doing what you can to keep everyone alive and for us to get out of there. But I agree with Madge. Jarbin Mord wrongfully murdered his own wife and child. Justice is always brought down, and where I do not agree with Madge is her idea that some trials are unfair. This is why we have the jury. In Valtean's name I swear that I did what I knew to be just. There must be a reason why all of us had been brought here. We were all jury members of that trial, and I suspect it has to deal with revenge."

Sir Rekkart's words was what he believed to be true, at least you didn't get any inkling that he was lying, and even then, you knew knights to uphold their own code, and found it unlikely that Rekkart would be willingly lying. Once he finished, you did notice Rekkart glance at Patrissa.

[info]Patrissa: Sense Motive: 14, Diplomacy: 20[/info]Out of habit, Patrissa began fiddling with the fire-opal amulet she wore.

"There's not much for me to say." Patrissa began. "We were given the evidence, explained the situation, and I agreed that he was guilty. Sir Rekkart, a knight of Valtean, and Tablark, our hard-working dwarf, agreed as well. It was unanimous." You found it strange that she mentioned Sir Rekkart and Tablark specifically, but other than that, you didn't get any other hunch about her truthfulness or not.

[info]Tablark: Sense Motive: 8, Diplomacy: 6[/info]"He was guilty, I tell ye'" The dwarf called out as he continued sitting near the western doors, both keeping an eye on Malgrim's swinging body and tending to the embers that Rekkart had created. "As I said earlier, if hanin' was too good for 'im. He shudda had a taste o' his own medicine. He might be hauntin' these halls, but we'll find a way out!" As he spoke, you noticed that Tablark shivered a bit, and his eyes, usually calm, seemed to be angry, or perhaps even wild.

[info]Killian: Sense Motive: 15, Diplomacy: 18[/info]"Well..." Killian began as he looked towards you and the others. "I was doing my job. Along with Varius. We both worked as jurors for a few years before this particular trial. Always did we try to do what was right. But..." He looked towards the others in the group, his eyes seemingly piercing and a lot more threatening.

"Someone here must be lying, not telling the entire truth, or even orchestrated the entire mess." He seemed to pause, as if considering the words he just said. "I would come clean if I were you. One of us was already killed."

His words seemed to have an effect, and you notice Madge look away slightly. Patrissa continued watching Killian, her eyes were steely. Sir Rekkart considered the words, but seemed to nod in approval. Tablark nodded as well, though made a comment that it was Malgrim who was the bad one. Halgrak seemed to look even more gloomier than usual, as he slunk down and looked at his left boot specifically. Ebin seemed to smirk, but he followed up with a strange and quiet chuckle.

[info]Halgrak: Sense Motive: 5, Diplomacy: 10[/info]"He was innocent!" Halgrak blurted out loud, drawing some stares from the rest with him. Sir Rekkart responded before anyone else could.

"You sentenced guilty as well Halgrak. And I refuse to believe that there was wrongdoing in our justice system. Even if you would have said innocent, which I find hard to believe, he still would have hung."

Halgrak didn't seem to say anything else more than that, but he only covered his eyes. You didn't feel any sense of deception from him, but he didn't seem to be willing to talk about anything more either.

[info]Ebin: Sense Motive: 20, Diplomacy: 18[/info]"I never did like him!" Ebin announced as soon as it was apparent Halgrak wouldn't say anymore. "Hehehe. I'll tell you why I voted guilty. I'll tell you! He embarrassed me a few weeks before Mord's murder during the district councilman's birthday feast. Hehehehe. I was told that death itself was funnier than me. Me! Me! Then that councilman got Mord up on stage, and that man.... He... He...." Ebin got redder and redder, and you notice that he was getting angry.

"He upstaged me! When he was brought on trial for the murder of his wife and kid. Of course he was guilty! Guilty filthy! Filthy guilty!" He chuckled to himself again.

After each of the group finished their descriptions, a sound of a child giggling was heard. It echoed throughout the chambers, and it didn't seem to come from any one specific place. A moment after that footsteps were heard coming from upstairs. Sir Rekkart raised his torch as he looked up, following the footsteps of whatever it was that ran. But a moment later it was silent again.

(Intimidate is a social skill as well, so you can go that route if you wish)

Throndir

Aetius:

"Thank you for the food madge. I have enough in my pack to give us one more meal as well, but i don't expect we'll be here that long. As for accusations, you should leave them here. Only the insane would put themselves through this. No matter if you think Jarbin was guilty or not he's a dead man and hatred for the dead brings no good will. At first I thought we would have to fight our way out of here but it looks like we have some unfinished business. That noise we heard is a sort of proof of that. I know that some of us aren't really all that close with each other, and that's fine, but I would rather be with all of you here than any one else. Malgrim made his choices and they ended his life. I've fought the undead before and have had to fight slain friends sent against me. His honor and our safety are both protected with him where he is now, we'll bring him
with us when we leave. As for what we'll do next, I'll need you all clear headed and need to make sure we each have some kind of weapon or ability to defend ourselves. Let's review our equipment, then we'll finish off whatever is down stairs here, and take on whatever we just heard upstairs. It could be the soul of a dead man, or something darker than dreams can comprehend."

Throndir

The group began showing what they had on them. They took turns putting stuff up in the circle, using Rekkart's torch to showcase the objects. When it was Tablark's turn, he simply called out what he had with him, choosing not to take his eyes off of Malgrim's dead corpse.

The group was surprisingly open, as they each revealed the hidden weapons they had on them. Patrissa, pulling her skirt up and to reveal the dagger on her garter, as well as Killian's weapons which consisted of a rapier, darts, and a dagger.

(mwk = Masterwork

Halgrak: leather tool belt, mwk hammer, tongs.
Ebin: mwk sap, patched motley (his jester outfit), coxcomb (his hat).
Patrissa: feather token (whip), mwk dagger concealed in garter sheath, necklace of 12 fire opals, ruby ring of protection +1, sequined red evening gown, two of pentacles from a deck of illusion (illusion of herself).
Killian: potion of cat's grace other gear +1 dagger (concealed in belt buckle), padded costume (and armor), rapier disguised as a silver (lead-weighted) cane, 4 throwing darts fashioned into quill-pens (coated with blue whinnis), two identical flasks (one filled with brandy, the other with his potion of cat's grace).
Sir Rekkart: +1 banded mail, +1 longsword, silver snuff box (30 gp), ten pinches of Tullen snuff (10 gp).
Madge: 4 mwk daggers, mwk padded armor, mwk thieves' tools, small backpack, 50 ft. of silk rope, rations (1 day), healer's kit, makeshift torch (lit)
Tablark: leather jerkin and pants (counts as leather armor), mwk carpenter's tools.
Malgrim's corpse: Grindle-Slash (spiked chain weapon), and other things?)

Throndir

Aetius:

"Before we finish exploring I have a question. Does anyone here have a understanding of the arcane and magic equipment?"

Throndir

"Apart from finding out what they do on their own? No clue." Madge said. The others had similar responses.

Throndir

Aetius:

"If it's ok with everyone then, we'll leave the murder axe where it is. Here!" I throw my sword to Tablark. "I think that this will be a more effective weapon."

Throndir

Tablark caught the weapon, "I'll get this back to ye' by the end of this." The dwarf said as he practiced a quick swing with the blade.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Before we keep exploring this floor I think we should clear away the remaining Carrionstorms on this floor. We don't know if they could try and attack us. I'm going to try and catch one and learn about the kind of evil we are facing."

Throndir

The group began to gather their things back up, as they proceeded to gather around Tablark at the western doors. The ravens began squawking as they noticed the gathering individuals. Though, they didn't move forward to attack. There was around 300 of them still remaining.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Attack! I yell and point my spear forward! Remember leave one alive!"

Throndir

The group acted all at once as they poured into the room. Tablark charges forward with your sword. Closing he swung the blade, managing to hit a couple of the ravens. Aetius managed to grab one of the ravens, holding it down. Sir Rekkart had charged as well, though he didn't do as well and missed the ravens. Madge managed to stab a couple of them as they flew around her. Killian managed to strike at a couple ravens as well. Patrissa cast her spells taking down more of the ravens. The birds continued to bite and swarm around the party. It didn't take long, and soon enough most of the ravens were dead, with only the one you had captured piled down. The small bird continued to struggle as it attempted to claw and bite you.

Although you took as much damage as Rekkart, you were still relatively healthy. Rekkart looked to be faring much worse with wounds on his cheek and arms. Tablark, Killian, Halgrak, and Ebin were still injured from the axe wounds from earlier, and this foray with the ravens managed to open up some of their injuries again. They all panted once the ravens were defeated.

[info](You have a raven hostage, you could put it in the bag, or do whatever, each turn, it will attempt to escape.)

(Log:
Tablark attacks deals 5 damage.
Aetius moves forward and grapples successfully.
Sir Rekkart misses.
Madge attacks deals 1 damage.
Patrissa casts Acid Orb and deals 3 damage.
Ebin doesn't attack.
Halgrak doesn't attack.
Killian attacks and deals 3 damage.
Carrionstorm is destroyed.
Undead raven deals 1 damage to Aetius.

Current Status/Damage Taken:
Aetius: 10
Madge: 0
Sir Rekkart: 9, nauseated (ends on round 2)
Patrissa: 0, -1 Will
Tablark: 2, -1 Will
Killian: 6,
Halgrak: 2, -3 Will
Ebin: 3)[/info]