Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Aetius

I let out a prayer for Halgrak that he be protected from evils and that he be safe. I then kneel in front of Ebin and give him a little shake. "Ebin, you gotta snap out of this, hey now look at me... look Halgrak is in trouble, I can't do this alone." I give him another shake. "Are you in there? Can you hear me?" You have to wake up! I need your help to save Halgrak. Do you understand?"

Throndir

Ebin started to visibly calm. His eyes started focusing on you as he blinked a couple of times. His eyes started getting some clarity again as you looked him in the eye. Something clicked in him that moment, as he seemed to process the events that had happened since the undead thing that seemed to be Jarbin Mord first appeared.

"He's probably already dead! Dead like Malgrim! Dead like Malgrim!" Ebin cried out, the first words he'd spoken in awhile. However, you see his face turn ashen once again.

"Dead... like... Malgrim..."

[info]Roll Perception, 1d20+5[/info]

Throndir

Aetius

QuotePerception: 19

Throndir

You didn't need to see Ebin's ashen face to realize something had spooked the halfling. All you needed was that cue, and with the slight sound of something rustling right behind you. You immediately turned around to see Malgrim.

No. It was not Malgrim, but an abomination of what was once the hobgoblin and leader of the Grindle Street Shades. His neck had various holes punctured in them, and savage gashes with coatings of ice speckled around the wound marks - the wounds his own weapon had inflicted on him when he was first found hanging on his own spiked chain weapon. His throat had been completely torn, with enough of his flesh torn away to reveal a slight amount of the darkened bone of his neck. Blood had poured down his throat, dyeing his clothes in that deep stain of crimson red, all the way down to his very boots.

The zombie had been trying to sneak up on you, and if it weren't for your keen senses, the creature may have very well have attacked first.

[info]Roll Initiative. 1d20+2.[/info]

Throndir

Aetius

I yell out to Rekkart to protect Madge and Tablark behind the barricade, I yell to Patrissa to help me destroy the creature but to keep her distance and to retreat to the barricade if she came under attack. I tell Ebin that I need him to see if he can find Halgrak and I point in the direction of the room that had a less dust when I started looking for clues as to where Halgrak went. I then beat my spear and shield and yell at the remains of Malgrim.

Initiative 10

Throndir

The undead abomination lurches forward, attempting to slam his body and wailing arms against you, but you were prepared for the blow, you attempted to side step out of the way, but you had easily deflected the attack with your shield.

From behind you, you see the others preparing as well. Sir Rekkart had begun barking commands to those in the courtroom, while Patrissa moved to the entrance of the courtroom, preparing to unleash her spells. Ebin, however, though calmed initially from your attempt to placate him, started to crack.

"No! No! No!" Ebin cried, his voice full of fear. He began to step back, stumbling, and finding himself tripping.

QuoteLog
Malgrim attacks and misses.
Ebin steps back, trips, and is prone.

Initiative Order
Malgrim
Ebin
Aetius
Everyone else

Throndir

Aetius

I would like to move so that I'm in between Malgrim and Ebin so that he has to go through me to attack Ebin. I want to see if I can figure out where the force that is controlling Malgrim is coming from, and I want to stab Malgrim's corpse, trying to sever his already damaged neck. I'll yell to Ebin to get up, snap out of it and look for Halgrak.

Quote14 for hit 7 for dmg

Throndir

As you moved towards the halfling, becoming a living shield for the frightened jester, you struck out with your weapon as well. However, Malgrim moved just enough that your weapon skidded against the bloodied armor that the undead wore.

There are different types of undead, some with a higher will propelling their minions to do their bidding, and others more feral, simply risen up without any specific commands from their creator. That said the supernatural has a way of challenging the so-called norms, but without any specific magical spells or more information it would be hard to figure out exactly how a specific undead came to being.

As you yelled for Ebin to get back up, using your peripheral vision to scan for any whereabouts of Halgrak, the halfling Ebin started to pick himself up. You see no sign of Halgrak, figuring he might be deeper into the complex. The door to the eastern courtroom was still open, and like before you noted the lack of dust going to and fro from the eastern courtroom to the central hall. Likewise the room north of the eastern courtroom had its door open as well.

That done, the panicked halfling began to get away from the combat. His eyes full of panic.

"Dead! Dead! Dead! We're all going to die! Die Die! Die! Heheheehee." The halfling began chuckling then, as he stumbled away from the fighting, almost tripping at times, moving away northwards.

QuoteLog
Round 1
Aetius 5 ft. steps to be in between Malgrim and Ebin. Attacks and misses.
Patrissa casts Acid Splash dealing 6 damage to Malgrim.
Round 2
Malgrim attacks hits and deals 9 damage.
Ebin picks himself up from Prone position, moves 30 ft. north.

Initiative Order
Malgrim
Ebin
Aetius
Everyone else

Damage Taken This Encounter
Malgrim: 6
Aetius: 9

Throndir

Aetius:

I want to attack the creature again.

Quote22 for hit 6 for damage.

I yell out to Ebin, "What do you see over there?"

Throndir

But Ebin didn't respond, he only continued to chuckle madly as he continued moving further off northwards into the darkness.

The undead Malgrim seemed to groan, as a strange gurgling sound came from its bloodied mouth. This caused more of the remaining blood in the hobgoblins body to spurt out from his neck. The creature lunged forward again in a rush. It managed to avoid your shield, striking you, but your armor managed deflect the blow.

QuoteLog
Round 1
Patrissa casts Acid Splash, crits, dealing 6 damage to Malgrim.
Round 2
Aetius attacks and deals 6 damage.
Patrissa casts Acid Splash, crits, dealing 5 damage to Malgrim.
Round 3.
Ebin moves 30 ft. north again, no longer visible.

Initiative Order
Malgrim
Ebin
Aetius
Everyone else

Malgrim: 17

Throndir

Aetius

I'd like to first see if I can figure out if this creature is close to falling. Then I want to see if I can judge how I'm feeling. If I feel like this creature is infected or going to infect me with something. (Also check how many hit points I have left) then I'll attack the creature again.

16 hit

8 damage

Throndir

Attacking the creature with your spear, you miss.  It attempted to move away, but it was too slow. Again, it was the creature's armor and its tougher hide that blocked your attack. Judging by the wounds inflicted on the undead, you surmise it was half to nearing its second death.

Malgrim lunges forward again, but misses.

[info]Aetius HP: 53/67[/info]

QuoteLog
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3.
Aetius attacks and misses.
Patrissa casts Acid Splash and misses.
Round 4.

Initiative Order
Malgrim
Aetius
Everyone else

Throndir

Aetius

"Be you a man or beast in that husk stand and fight me and let them sing that Malgrim stood, and fought, and died where he stood. I know there is still a leader with a shread of honor left in you! ON YOUR GUARD!" As I throw his old weapon to his feet and try to set my shield glowing as bright as I can. I ready my sword and shield to counter his next attack and yell to my party behind the barricades and Patrissa the direction that Ebin went in and tell them that we all need to hurry if we're going to save him and Halgrak but we have to move!

Throndir

Sir Rekkart and Patrissa came out of the courtroom. They started making their way up north, keeping their eyes open. Patrissa managed to cast another spell directed at Malgrim, however, her spell missed again.

The unintelligent zombie that was Malgrim,  paid no heed to your words, and only seemed to gurgle in response. He stepped over his own weapon, the chain's enchantments triggering then, causing cold ice to form on the sole of his bloodied shoes, but Malgrim only kept going forward as he attempted to lunge yet again at Aetius. However, you were more than prepared, and this time even dodging out of the way proved useful.

QuoteLog
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3.
Aetius attacks and misses.
Round 4.
Aetius activates Total Defense
Everyone else moves up north looking for Ebin.

Initiative Order
Malgrim
Aetius
Everyone else

Damage Taken (not including PCs)

Roll20 Link: https://app.roll20.net/join/1522231/DzXnWg

Rough Time Estimate: 9:15 PM

Resources:
Madge's Healing kit: 3 uses left
Aetius' healing kit: 8 uses left
Madge's Torch: 15 min left
Rekkart's Torch: 15 min left

Relevant Inventory
Malgrim's Spiked Chain "Grindle-Slash", currently in Aetius' inventory
Unlit Torches: 4, currently in Rekkart's inventory
Potion of Cure Light Wounds: 5, in Aetius' inventory
Sack containing Carrionbird, in Aetius' inventory

NPC Inventory
Halgrak: leather tool belt, mwk hammer, tongs.
Ebin: mwk sap, patched motley (his jester outfit), coxcomb (his hat).
Patrissa: feather token (whip), mwk dagger concealed in garter sheath, necklace of 12 fire opals, ruby ring of protection +1, sequined red evening gown, two of pentacles from a deck of illusion (illusion of herself).
Killian: potion of cat's grace other gear +1 dagger (concealed in belt buckle), padded costume (and armor), rapier disguised as a silver (lead-weighted) cane, 4 throwing darts fashioned into quill-pens (coated with blue whinnis), two identical flasks (one filled with brandy, the other with his potion of cat's grace).
Sir Rekkart: +1 banded mail, +1 longsword, silver snuff box (30 gp), ten pinches of Tullen snuff (10 gp).
Madge: 4 mwk daggers, mwk padded armor, mwk thieves' tools, small backpack, 50 ft. of silk rope, healer's kit
Tablark: leather jerkin and pants (counts as leather armor), mwk carpenter's tools.

Current Status/Damage Taken:
Aetius: 14, already used treat deadly wounds
Madge: 0
Sir Rekkart: 5, already used treat deadly wounds
Patrissa: 0, -1 Will
Tablark: 0, -1 Will, already used treat deadly wounds, unconscious
Killian: 2,  already used treat deadly wounds
Halgrak: 0, -3 Will,  already used treat deadly wounds
Ebin: 3, already used treat deadly wounds)

Throndir

Aetius

QuoteAttacks

Atk: 22
Dmg: 8