A New Morning

Started by Mysticsage, July 21, 2013, 12:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

A New Morning

2 months after the accident

Seth slowly awoke to slightly muffled sunbeams, as they cut through the cracks in his heavy curtains. It had only been a few nights since he had started to regularly patrol as a vigilante, and he was wiped out. He had been surprised just how wiped out he felt after using his powers night after night like he had been he only hoped his body would eventually grow accustomed to this new kind of strain.
?If past experience is any indicator I?m gonna end up dead before too long.? He chuckled to himself. Slowly he moved himself to the side of the bed and sat there for a moment contemplating if it was worthwhile actually using magic to get ready or save his strength. Deciding against the magic he pulled himself using the arm of his wheelchair to brace himself before sitting in the chair. At least even in this state he could still move around as long as he had something to take his full weight.  So he began about his normal routine. There are perks to being born into money one of them being if you have challenges that others do not. It made up for the other problems it brought along with the cash well mostly anyway.

Seth finally left his bedroom dressed in his private school uniform a few minutes later. He could here Leon in the kitchen humming some mindless tune while the smell of food wafted up in the air. Seth's mouth watered considerably as his stomach moaned in conformation. Expending as much energy as he had each night meant that he woke up ravenous.

"Give me a sec and I'll be right there!" Called Leon just as Seth was thinking about simply using magic to walk down the stairs. Seth always wondered how Leo knew exactly what he was doing and thinking even when he was so far out of ear shot. Some skill from being in his line of work he imagined. After a moment he heard Leon move from where he was in the kitchen up the stairs taking them two at a time. Seth was soon greeted with the a bright and mischievous smile of his butler Leon Schr?dinger or Leo for short. Leo was dressed in black jeans, a, simple graphic tee, and had slightly spiked hair not the usual attire for a butler in his position, but to Seth Leo was closer to a brother or a close friend then a servant.

"Morning, Seth"

"Good mor-!" Seth cut short with a yelp as Leo hoisted him up bridle style without another word, and began carrying him downstairs with relative ease. The young butler while slim built was deceptively strong when he wanted to be.
"We really should get around to adding in that chair lift sometime. I doubt your grandma would like it if she knew I was carrying you up and down everyday." laughed Leo as he sat him down at the kitchen table in front of some eggs. Seth simply waved him off as Leon sat to his own plate.

"You know as well as I do it was more important to keep this place from falling apart before we can even think of modifying the place." The pair had moved to the decrypt apartment building a week after Seth had been released from the hospital. He had wanted to escape the notoriety of his parents? death and what it meant for the then leaderless Pendergast group.

Leo had found the apartments in some of his parents? old estate files. It looked like something out of a horror movie. The broken down siding and roof the large twisted iron gate flanked by gothic sculptures. The entire five-story building needed to be gutted, and the yard was like a jungle. It was perfect out of the way and hidden from the city it was engulfed by, an oddity from a long gone era that never really was.  The house was still a complete mess except for the kitchen, Seth and Leon's bedroom's, and a small first floor living area and library. Even these rooms were still in disrepair, but at least livable. Seth had refused to let his family renovate the place anyway since he wanted to use the place as a magical study.

The pair ate quickly talking back and forth about school and family life. Leon talked about his latest dating escapades as always. It was at the time that they'd usually get ready to leave for Seth's private school that Leon did the unexpected. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out what looked to be a large deck of playing cards and slid them across the table to Seth.

"What's this?" Asked Seth quizzically as he examined the ornate box.

"Tarot cards, kids love having their fortunes read especially girls I figured you could use them to show off a little at school."
With one eyebrow raised Seth opened the box. "The Fool fitting," the cards inside were like no other tarot cards with bright slightly cartoonish images that were beautiful and yet dark, a strange yet mysterious mix. After admiring the art for a moment Seth finally said "Thanks Leo, they,re great."

They both smiled for a moment before Leon moved to get the wheel chair from upstairs on the fifth floor. The pair then made the way to the town chair that was used specifically to transport him around passing Leon's black motorcycle as they went. Seth could not remember when he had gotten the thing. To be honest his memory was hazy in places since the accident. But for now that was not important he had to steel himself for the hell that was the best private school in the city.