Chapter 1: Uninvited Guests

Started by Throndir, May 10, 2012, 08:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Tuesday Evening
December 2, 1980
10:00 PM

The thunder up above roared terribly as you as well as some of the other staff peered out the windows. The rain was heavy. Too heavy. In fact, in all of your days serving on the Jameson estate you?ve never seen such a storm blowing through the courtyard. Already the electricity was being affected as lights flickered and dimmed. At times it would completely go off, and more than one of you feared that it was a black-out, only to find the lights turning back on minutes later, flickering as they did so. Likely the electricity itself would go out permanently sometime soon if the weather kept up its harsh beating. It was a thought that occurred to everyone in the mansion, one that the inhabitants preferred not to happen even though the inevitability seemed so very clear.

The heavy downpour, wind, and electricity poles swaying helped to make even the mansion?s TV sets to flicker, their reception even more horrible than the usual static their location had. You were surprised that it wasn?t fixed earlier. Though the mansion wasn?t in the center of the city, it was at its fringes. Apartment complexes, stores, and a few other more richly ordained homes littered the current area. You expected that crews would have already been dispatched to repair the damage the storm caused, but for one reason or another, they didn?t.

The lord and the lady were out. They were off on vacation, as the Jameson family was known to do frequently. They were supposed to arrive home earlier today; this morning. The attendants of the mansion had already prepared the estate; ensuring things were orderly for the arrival of their lord and lady. Yet, they did not come. The storm started only last evening, and in all that time there was no respite from the heavy downpour. Though the sun was not out, hidden behind dark storm clouds for the entire day, time watch or not, everyone knew the day would soon be over.

Many times they had attempted to call the missing Jameson family, and to perhaps find out for certain when they are to arrive, but as they expected the phone lines were down. Likely one of the telephone poles had toppled. One of the servants had gone off into town to get someone to fix the phone lines, yet even they, like the Jamesons, had not come back.

But it?s to be expected, the storm overhead was simply too heavy, you thought as you watched the droplets coalesce together on the window pane, only to flow down even faster from its combined mass or get hit by a dozen more droplets. More than likely that servant boy was sitting comfortably in the town hall or even the police station as he waited for the storm to settle. More than likely too the Jameson family was simply delaying their arrival until the weather cleared up more. Even though it sounded logically sane, that there didn?t seem to be any flaws in the thinking, there was something nagging upon each and every employee of the Jameson estate. It was as if there was a forthcoming dread just waiting to rise at the end of the day. It was an inescapable and inexplicable feeling. There was unrest in every mind and in every heart, a strange feeling of unease that wouldn?t seem to want to dissipate.

And it was like this as the Jameson estate staff peered out the windows at the hallway just before the mansion's front door, and it was like this when the head butler, Jared, or Jar a more demeaning nickname as some others call him, finally broke their reverie in his booming voice.

"Enough staring! The Jamesons did not hire you to simply stare out the windows." He snapped his fingers as he scolded the group.

Yet, for all of the weight of authority that the head butler had with him, you lingered your eyes outwards only a moment more. You didn't really think that you'd see anything new or different, the act of gazing more from the lingering feelings of unease than anything else, but as you peered out again you caught notice of something far into the background, towards the direction of the gate. Was it a figure? An object near the gates?[/i]

[spoiler]Whoooo!

Feel free to be with the group, or somewhere else.

This is the D20 Zombie RP just in case if people are confused. The Jameson Estate freeform RP that I'll be starting will be on the weekends. Probably Saturday.[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Sebastian speaks up, noting the figure, whatever it was, "Holt on, Jared. Zere is someting out by ze gate."

He continues to stare intently, trying to figure out what was there. "Vat IS zat..."

[spoiler]Hope the heavy accent is ok haha. If it gets hard to read, I'll slim down what I change. So just say so if it's too much.

[blockquote]Spot check 1d20+1 : 8 + 1, total 9[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Eireleen

"...Is someone out there?"

Noelle squinted a little, trying to get a better look. It seemed like there was someone on the other side of the gate, trying to get in, but it was impossible to tell who it was from this distance. "Perhaps Eugene has returned." She suggests, referring to the servant boy that had been sent out earlier. "He's probably having trouble with the gate."

Getting up from her seat, she threw on a jacket in a timely pace, managing to be quick without seeming hurried or rushed. "Best to get the gate open before the power fails." she explains, taking her flashlight from her briefcase, laid out on the table. Normally it was kept in her quarters, but when the electricity began threatening to go out, she retrieved it while the lights were still on.

"You may wait here. No need for all of us to bear the rain." She was used to storms like this. While it was certainly unusual for the local climate, Vietnam was a tropical area, and she had carried about 100 pounds of army gear through downpours not unlike this one many times before. She wasn't adverse to making the trek to the gate, even without an umbrella.

Upon exiting the mansion's front door, her first thought was that an umbrella likely would not have helped in the first place. It would likely be taken by the wind, and in the first place the rain was practically falling sideways. "Is that you, Eugene?" She calls, raising her voice over the storm. As the wind and rain battered her face, the woman pointed her flashlight forward, covering her brow with her other arm as she tried to get a better look at the figure ahead.

Spot Check
Rolled 1d20+5 : 8 + 5, total 13

Hasabushi

Reggie sighed as the downpour continued, a deluge if had ever seen one. It was not unlike the first rain he had encountered his first day at the mansion, yet this was more om
inous almost foreboding. But giving not into his fears as his psychiatrist had taught him, he pushed the feelings far away as his thoughts of being about his duties quickly surplanted any thoughts of dread that he might have. "I'll check on the young miss Darline, if anyone needs me I'll be in the west wing.."

Darline Yuliet had been very sick, sicker than a girl her age should be, barely in her teens she often helped with the daily chores in the mansion. Most of those that worked there simply accepted her as part of the daily routine in the mansion, though none admittedly knew where she came from. Jar had often spoke of that she just showed up one day, not speaking a word. Taking pity on her he brought her into the mansion and put her to work as a servant girl.

Reggie opened the door to room where Darline was sleeping, in this case it was good, her fever had gotten quite high the night before, almost to the point where Dr Reginald would have made the trip into town to visit the quaint but more advanced hospital in town. He opened the door and peered in, for some odd reason the lights had not come back on yet in the West wing, fortunately he had brought a torch....

Neko

Sophie, like a few of the others, was watching the rain with a slight sense of worry. She didn't really mind the rain itself though; in fact, she had always enjoyed the sound of it. She was currently on the second floor, tending to the library. She still had a duster in hand, but had decided to take a break and look outside. The library was almost clean anyway...not only that, it was a little hard to continue with the lights flickering all the time. The first time things had gotten dark, Sophie was quick to find herself a flashlight! There was no way she'd let herself get caught in the dark. But, she was happy to know she wouldn't be alone if a black-out truly happened. Accompanying her was the families cute little kitten, Trixy. The cat lay beside Sophie's feet, purring quietly. Sophie really didn't care for being alone, especially since it meant she had no one to talk to! "You're lucky, Trixy," Sophie commented. "You can see just fine when it's dark out..."

Just then, something caught the maid's eye. Off in the distance she could have sworn she had seen something by the gate...It was rather hard to tell. For all she knew, it could have just been some kind of animal. "Poor thing."  Sophie said aloud, still directing her words toward the kitten. "I wouldn't want to be caught in such a storm!"

Throndir

Tuesday Evening
December 2, 1980
10:05PM

Thunder clapped as Noelle disappeared off into the corridor that would lead her to the front door, and from there to the outside. The lights went off again as one of the maids with you glanced up at them. One second passed, then two, then three.

Everyone held their breaths; even the louder Jared who would usually make it a point to ensure that the staff were always working and efficient paused as if he were waiting for whatever the outcome might be. To everyone's relief however, the did lights come back on. Though, it felt that each time the lights flickered, the darkness grew just a bit longer and just a bit darker. Indeed, as the sound of rain poured down harder on the mansion, seeming to get louder at each passing second, and as bolts of lightning flashed across the night sky, it was something that everyone can wholly agree with.

You see one of the maids with you, Esmelda, shiver. Making her way towards the window, she caught sight of Noelle braving the storm. You had peered out in the distance as well, and you realized that there was indeed a figure standing there. Like Noelle mentioned, it was probably Eugene. Though, even that you could not tell.

It was then that Esmelda turned towards the others, a determined look in her eyes.

?I'm going after her!? She finally said. Though she attempted to say it loudly and clearly, her voice ended uncertainly. Everyone who was listening could tell that Esmelda's convictions wavered. You knew that she had really no reason to accompany the capable Jameson bodyguard, but you also sympathized that something felt odd.[/i]

Noelle
The storm raged on outside just as you had expected. Flashes of lightning glowed briefly as deep rumbling sounds of thunder followed suit not long after. The downpour was heavier than you thought it to be. Already, your uniform was soaked only a few seconds out from the Jameson front door.

The wind was in your eyes, the rain poured heavily upon you. You did you best just to shield your sight so that you could make your way towards the front gate but even that proved to be hard task. You followed along the cobbled stone path beside the road that lead to the Jameson's garage, and though the distance wasn't too long, the journey felt longer.

You eventually made it close enough to the front gate to call out to the figure, and eventually use your flashlight. You were drenched completely, but you were able to see just enough. Just about 20 feet away from you behind the gate was indeed a figure. And as you surmised, the long coat that the figure wore marked him as Eugene who had grabbed the cloak before venturing into town. You remember that the servant boy brought one of the umbrellas with him, and you wondered why he didn't have one with him at the time. You noticed one strange thing though; he was sitting on the ground. You couldn't make out any more details unless you move closer.

The wind blew against you harder just then. Opening the gate required a push of a button on a nearby gate guard building next to the gate.

[spoiler]
(Click to enlarge)

1 square = 5 ft.
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

Sebastian puts a hand on Esmelda's shoulder. "No, I'll go. As a gentleman, I cannot allow two vomen to brave such a storm. Ze only reason I did not object to Noelle is because she is experienced in such conditions. You stay here, I'll back her up in case zere is trouble."

With that, Sebastian goes sprinting through the halls, grabs his coat, and heads outside toward the gate. Someting is definitely wrong here...it's an ominous feeling, indeed...Ach! Ze doctor went to ze vest ving alone! I vish I had mentioned zat someone should have accompanied him...
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Eireleen

It was definitely Eugene. Even through the rain, she recognized his coat. But he wasn't responding to her when she called...and he was on the ground as well. It was fairly obvious that he wasn't just taking a break in the middle of the storm.

He might be unconscious. They had no idea how long he had been standing out here, trying to get someone to come open the gate for him. He would have gone unnoticed because of the storm. If he had been stranded in the rain for an hour or more, he may have succumbed to hypothermia. She couldn't tell from here exactly how much danger he was in, but it was abundantly clear that he was not okay.

It was best to get him inside as quickly as possible and have Dr. Hughes take a look at him. She went quickly to the building to open the gate, hitting the button with only slightly more force than was required. She only hoped that the electricity would hold out. She'd climb the gate if she had to.

Yas!

Giinora squatted at the end of the four poster bed, patiently whittling away at the oak. Most people hated when it did so, but not little miss Darline, no. She enjoyed having something new to look at, being cooped up in this room. Steelna lovingly stroked the young lady's hair, and gave a small start at the thunder overhead.

Giinora, and as always, Steelna Verlicsa, were left to accompany miss Darline on this day. All of the mansion's staff had seemingly just stopped in their tracks, and it was no wonder! Giinora gave her counterpart a meaningful sideways glance as the lights flickered, they both were thinking the same thing. This storm was nothing short of peculiar. The rain pounded on the windows with a fury that had the windows shuddering, and never before had the two seen the lights behave so erratically. There was little to be said about the terrible booming ahead.. Gii sighed, the mansion always had seemed so impenetrable...

Gii reached down and pulled something from what looked like it's sleeve cuffs, and motioned for Steelna to take it. Darline groaned, and grasped for the leaf in the strange woman's hands. Handing it to her, they both watched silently as the girl chewed and sucked on the leaf. It wasn't enough to cure her, but it was enough to ease her pains. Just as she had swallowed and fallen back asleep, Reggie -looking rather disturbed- slowly entered the room.

Throndir

Tuesday Evening
December 2, 1980
10:10 PM

Noelle
Pushing the button, you heard the tell-tale sounds of the gears and mechanics moving. You half-expected the gates to not budge at all, but to your relief and minor celebration the gates started opening. It didn't last long however. Just as the gates were half-way opened, they halted to a screeching stop. You heard the gears cackle and groan and it didn't take long for the sounds to vanish altogether. The small lightbulb marking the button had dimmed as well. But you knew the locks on the gates have been released, it may be possible to swing the gate open manually.

In that moment you heard something far in the distance you never would have expected in the employ of the Jamesons. Gunshots.

Hasabushi

Reggie flicked on the torch as he entered the room, a cone of light shining with a scattered reflection from the lens cover, apparently the flashlight had been dropped more than once, and most likely by Sebastion who seemed prone to being overzealous at times.
He was startled for a moment as the light refracted off Steelna's unusual eyes. He still had not really gotten used to her presence. It was easier with the masked that helped to somewhat cover her appearance, but Reggie had learned a long time not to judge on appearances alone and she had more than once proven to be trustworthy. He briefly nodded her way and gave a brief but sincere grin, "How's she doing, any change?" he said as he watched the young maid chew something in her mouth. He didn't wait for Steelna to respond as he felt Darline's head it was wracked with sweat and it seemed her temperature had climbed once again.

It was then he heard the distinct sound of gun shots ringing out....

[spoiler] Not sure If I'm suppose to be aware of Giinora at this point, but I'm assuming that Reggie is aware of Steelna.[/spoiler]

Eireleen

"Just in time..." Noelle dashed through the half-opened gate, taking Eugene and lifting him up. She put one of his arms over her shoulders, lifting him steadily off the ground. Her head turned sharply at the sound of gunshots. It was a sound she hadn't heard in a long time. She wasn't sure what was happening out there, but it wasn't normal. The fact that guns were blasting in the city opened up a host of new explanations for Eugene's apparent unconsciousness, and none of them good.

She decided she'd come back later and see if she could get the gate closed again. But she didn't have time to wrestle with obstinate machinery right now, not with an unconscious man on her shoulders. The storm hadn't subsided in the slightest, but she could make out the side of the building against the clouded night sky. She started making her way back to the building, a trek of over 200 feet, as quickly as she could.

Throndir

Tuesday Evening
December 2, 1980
10:12 PM

Noelle
Immediately upon dashing through the gate, you notice the severe wounds that the servant boy had. Lifting the servant boy, you notice that the blood was pouring freely. There was red stains across his long trench coat, and though Eugene was unconscious, you heard him groan. You knew that he was in pain. You were glad that he was still alive, but at the same time many questions filtered through your mind.

The gunshot you had heard earlier only added to your worries. It was a series of shots, you heard the shots of civilian pistols, but amidst that, you were able to pick up the sounds of faster firing guns; guns not easily obtained by civilians. The sound was distant, though you realized that because of the heavy rain, or even how sounds can be carried over the wind, the distance may be closer or farther than you first surmised. The sounds disappeared moments later however, and you focused back on the wounded servant boy.

Linwelin

Just as Noelle is making her way back toward the estate, Sebastian reaches her, taking a moment to quickly catch his breath. "Zose gunshots are not helping my uneasiness. Here, let me help." He looks over to the gate. "Vait. Keep going a little furzer, I vill catch up. Vith zat gunshot, I should try to close ze gate quickly."

Sebastian takes a quick glance at the two, then nods to Noelle, recognizing the boy's wounds. "Poor boy...how did he get caught in zis?" He shakes his head, then runs to the gate to work on closing it manually. Ve must act fast, zis is getting dangerous!
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Neko

Sophie let out a yawn, slowly becoming bored of just watching the rain. Suddenly, the lights went out again, leaving her in the dark. She waited a few long moments before snatching her flashlight from the windowsill. However, just as she did so, the lights flickered back on. She let out a sigh of relief, but this time, didn?t bother setting her light source back down.

Just as she readied herself to continue the usual cleaning duties, she noticed Noelle, the family body guard, trekking through the storm. She watched worriedly as Noelle opened the gate, and brought the figure she had seen previously toward the mansion. ?Oh my?? Sophie whispered, finally able to make out who the mysterious figure was. He wasn?t moving?Unfortunately, it was too hard to make out much else from her current position. ?This can?t be good...will you be okay by yourself Trixy?? Sophie questioned. But looking down, she found the kitten had already run off.

Sophie hurriedly made her way down the stairs, determined to help in any way she could. She stopped by one of the closets on the way, grabbing a couple more flashlights in case the others might need them. The first person she found was Esmeld. ?Hey!? Sophie greeted, a little out of breathe from running. ?You should probably take one of these?? Sophie offered, gesturing toward the four flashlights she held.