[Interest Check] Separate Freeform RP, before the events of current RP

Started by Throndir, May 08, 2012, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Wondering what's the interest level of me creating a separate section of the section/thread with freeform roleplaying of basically Mansion life in the Jameson Estate before the events of the D20 system roleplay we're doing?

Setting
The Jameson Estate before the events of the D20 RP. Preferably the timeline should be after all relevant characters of the D20 RP are in the service of the Jameson family. So between 1975 and 1980.

Multiple freeform play threads can be started as well. You can just assume they take place at different times from the past. I really don't think this would be done too much, but just saying, in case this gets enough interest, and in case people want to have multiple events going on, I'm all for it. :D

One thread could be about the mass hiring of numerous new staff for the mansion. And all the troubles the current staff has to go into teaching them (or even making some more ridiculous "tests" for the new hires to do). Perhaps another threads about the surprise party of the eldest son of the Jameson family, the preparation for it, and perhaps secret plans to do more than just a surprise party.

Characters
Any NPC can be created, or new ones, or etc. This includes the Jameson family, their staff, and/or anyone else who can possibly get into contact with them. And of course the characters in the D20 roleplay. "Godmoding" is allowed for NPCs, but not for player characters.

Reason
A way to flesh out your characters, and possibly put more history between your own characters to others. Also has a good chance to introduce NPCs, and to have them appear in the actual RP.

Would just be for fun. :D Freeform means the story can go in any direction. Though there has to be some guidelines, the only ones I can think of are:

Rules
1) No zombies. After all, the actual D20 roleplay will have the zombies and I prefer if they didn't already appear.
2) No deaths. Doesn't make sense if a character is killed in the past, only to appear as if nothing happened in the future (the D20 RP). This rule doesn't apply to characters who don't appear in the D20 RP though.
3) The roleplayer's creed. (But not as strict, since FWC's not really too strong on all the rules). As long as no one gets mad everything's alright.

Potential Problem
The one thing I can see why this won't really fly is the fact that this potential RP can be very slice-of-life like. It is after all life in the Jameson Estate. There's some RPers who do that, but not everyone would be interested. But hey, if some really cool idea pops up, I really wouldn't mind changing some of the story for the D20 one to make room for it.

Affecting the D20 RP
Sure, why not. NPCs introduced, or if there's anything interesting that I might work off with. I can also go ahead and implement that one freeform = exp formula I've been thinking up. This equals an amount of exp for your posts in the freeform RP to translate into the actual D20 game. Takes into account length of posts, actions, dialogue and stuff like that. Items that people's characters pick up, or make mention of having will of course be translated back into the D20 RP. Also more chances of earning TY points, so it's a win-win.

Conclusion
So yup, just for fun. And wondering if there's enough people interested to actually make it work.

Hasabushi

This is a great idea, to help really set the pace for the game.

Ella

I'm interested, but I dun really want to participate in the zombie version of the RP. >.> So my character would have to have left or died before then.

dehydromon

I would be interested in joining this roleplay, though I'm still contemplating whether or not I wish to join the zombie one.

Linwelin

GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]