Book 1 - The Edge of Anarchy

Started by pringerbeam, March 23, 2016, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepingSkeleton

Hmm... Triss mumbled to herself, turning the card over and over in her hands.  Someone else who wanted Lamm dead.  Well, really that narrowed it down to just virtually everyone he had come in contact with.  The man was scum, and she had intended to root him out once she got her supplies back to a manageable level.  Details hadn't exactly crystallized yet, but the fires of revenge would see to that.  Still Lamm did have some bite left in him.  It could be a trap.  He'd probably figured out someone had killed Garrik by now.  But how would he know it had been her?  She hadn't been seen.  At least she hoped not.

"Uh, miss... excuse me, but could I perhaps get a poultice for my sist-"

"Shop's closed.  Got somewhere to be," Triss interrupted the young man standing in front of her, gathering up the herbs, bowls and other tools she had arranged on the table in front of her.  It'd be best to check it out at least.  Though she wanted to be the one to take his life, others could serve to make that a lot easier.  And Lamm had no shortage of enemies.  Still, best to go in properly prepared though.  Go back to the stash, grab the crossbow, and the bolts.  Her thoughts were interrupted when she nearly ran into the young man, who had moved to block her path.  As she took a quick step back, glaring at him, her hood fell back, exposing her face.  He gasped as the red, scarred flesh of her face was revealed.  They always did.  Unless she was carrying the drug they wanted, they all looked at her that way.  She glared, pulling her hood back up and moving to step around, but he moved to block her again.  "Please, she's quite ill, and I was told it'd lessen the fever.  I've seen you work, and I know you're good for it. Please."

He looked her right in the eyes as he asked.  Both eyes, not just the one on the right side of her face.  Determination burned in his eyes.  She regarded him again, lifting her head, knowing he could see her better as she did.  But he did not look away.  His expression was resolute, no pity or revulsion.  He had a mission too, one he wouldn't stop until he had fulfilled.  After nearly a full minute, Triss moved back to the table, and sat back down.  "Fine, tell me her symptoms properly and I'll see what I can do."  The bow would be there when she got to it. 

"I'll be here tomorrow if that doesn't seem to lessen it," She said, finishing packing her things.  "But like I said, sounds like shiver.  It's not going to be pretty, and she's not going to like it, but you'll have to keep her off of it."  Shiver likely meant Lamm.  She never sold the stuff.  It was a good market, but not one she could get into. 

"I will, and thank you," the man said, rising and meeting her gaze again.  "I'll bring the gold tomorrow to-" but Triss waved her hand.  "I'm doing this one because I want to.  There's something I need to do tonight, and just maybe doing a good turn could bring me some luck." And because you're one of the ones who still looked at me like a person.  Not a monster.  She thought.  "I'll pray for your success," he said as she turned and walked out the door.  Well, perhaps they'd listen to him, even if all she ever got from the gods was a silent uncaring.  It was getting late and she would need to be there soon.   

It was almost sunset when she reached the address from the card.  Looking around before entering the fairly empty street, she checked her crossbow wouldn't be too hard to unsling, and that the components for her bombs were still in their appropriate pouches.  Best to walk into a possible trap prepared. 

[spoiler][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 3 + 4, total 7[/blockquote] Perception looking for danger.[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

Nothing dangerous seems to be about Lancet street except for a strangely acting dwarf who also seems to be looking around.

jammermoore

After praying, Shenzu looked up and saw a card setting on the floor in front of him. He picks up the card and reads the back of the card.
[spoiler]He looks around to see if he is being observed. (Perception) This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+8 : 20 + 8, total 28 [/spoiler]

Shenzu says under his breath "who dropped this off here?" If this will get the answers I seek, I need to cancel the class for today and head home to grab my gear. So Shenzu post a sign for the canceled class and headed out for home. During the walk home Shenzu has a couple of questions swirling around in his head, like what did Gaedren do to this "other" people? How many people got this card? after a while Shenzu got home, he had to search for his crossbow since he hadn't need to use it in years but after awhile he gathers up all of his gear straps his quarterstaff to his back and clips the crossbow to his hip. As Shenzu heads out to 3 Lancet Street its close to sunset, as he gets close to the house Shenzu keeps an eye on his surroundings  to be ready for anything.
[spoiler]Perception This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Aeraloth stood once he was done with his performance closing the case gently around his mother's lute as he fetched his earning. notice of the card along with his silver. He was curious about the card, normally when people paid him it was rarely with this kind of thing, food and coin were the most people normally shared on days like today. However, his face quickly soured as he flipped the card over and read the note on the back. "Gaedren" he spat, the sheer thought of the man who left him homeless and without his mother made him want to ripe something to shreds with his bare hands. Someone was egging him on. But if they wanted to put on a show with him dancing they would find that they would get more then they bargened for in this humble performer. He could play the role of monster quite well as the scum of this neighborhood knew too well.

As he passed by the man begging he tossed him five silver pieces from that morning's earnings as payment foward to the guards for what might be coming later that evening at this Lancet Street. Lute slung over his back his body corused slightly with energy he could feel it sparking in his mouth and across his tounge mixing with his disguest as he went to get ready and cool off until the evening. His hulking form walking with the restrained force of a ragging beast. He made sure to gather his gear and have a drink before heading to the appointed location.

pringerbeam

Shenzu
     Nothing on the street seems out of the ordinary, with the exception of a dwarf and a hooded person apparently on alert for something.

[info]James, please pick a different color for character interactions.  Kyle has already taken blue and it's first come first serve.[/info]

Aeraloth
     You arrive at 3 Lancet Street to find the address surprisingly busy.  Several  well armed individuals wander the street.  A hooded figure, a dwarf, and a man with a quarterstaff all  of  whom seem to be searching for something.

[info]The party is gathered!  Let the customary introductions begin![/info]

Mysticsage

Aeraloth moved up to the group and gave a small whistle as he looked over the others in what detail he could. "Seems someone is looking to hire some muscle, Unless this was all just a trap to mug some guy trying to make his way in this town." From a distance the bronze skinned half elf looks like some kind of well built bear or wolf standing on two legs as he quietly moved upon the group. His grey eyes reflecting the colors of the setting sun his hairless toned chest mostly visible for those to see. As the others could get a better look at him his chiseled features were even more apparent. Aeraloth stood a good head and wore a good fifty or more pounds then any other half elf the others will have seen. However, his face currently hardened slightly by some pain showed the obvious signs of laughter and a gentle heart.

"My name is Aeraloth Vanron, though I imagine if one of you sent me this thing you already know that." His voice was deep and forceful trying to see if he would force a move as he ran a hand through his short midnight black hair and produced the harrow card from earlier with his other hand.

jammermoore

As Shenzu stands at the address, then he watches a large half-elf, whom walked up and introduced himself. Then Shenzu started to introduce himself to Aeraloth Vanron "Hi Aeraloth Vanron, I am Shenzu, I don't know who sent these cards to us." Shenzu flashes the Harrow card to Aeraloth."Well someone is looking for people to help them." Shenzu points out the dwarf and the hooded person."This is seems like it going to be interesting ha ha." Shenzu started to chuckle.

Oath

[spoiler=teehee]
acrobatics.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23[/blockquote]

Oath

As the two introduced themselves, Eliora watched, and listened. Nobody had seem to notice her, despite a minimal effort to hide her presence. She decided it was time to make her presence known. She clapped, turned around and proceeded to rapidly back handspring her way towards the group, ending with a vaulting backflip complete with a few rotations. Colorful cloth whirled around as she spun through the air, before sticking the landing right in the middle of the group. She procured the harrow card from a pocket along one of her scarves, presented it with a flourish and took a bow. "The name's Eliora Swifthand, pleasure to meet ya."

SleepingSkeleton

Triss spun as the man behind her spoke. Sloppy, Just because Garrik had been an easy kill, no reason to believe Lamm would be.  On seeing the card in his hand she relaxed slightly, removing her hand from the pouch holding her bomb components.  Still there were two of them, both fairly imposing figures.  But at least they all seemed to be here for the same reason.  Perhaps the dwarf too.  Killers would more than likely have just had at her, rather than announce their presence, more so if there were two of them.  A sharp clap directed her attention to a new figure, displaying a fair feat of acrobatic prowess.  The new one, a girl, or young woman, colorful scarf, purple hair. That was one of his too.  One like her who he had cast away.  If she had a card too, that meant that this should be safe. Too complicated for a trap.  Out here at least.  Best to still be cautious going inside. 
"Name here is Triss, and seems like I'm here for the same reason the rest of you are,"  Triss let herself relax, and fished in her satchel for the card.  "Don't think I've seen you two around before, I believe we've... met Eliora.  And the dwarf? Also with us?" 
Best to take this slow.  If the cards were to be believed, someone else had a vested interest in removing Lamm.  Either it was the dwarf who was their mysterious benefactor, another who hoped to take his vengeance on Lamm, or possibly one of Lamms men.  There were four of them now though.  That ought to put a little pause in an attacker.  Lamm couldn't have become rich enough to hire anyone too far beyond Garrik she hoped. 
She walked over to Eliora.  "You were one of his weren't you?" Triss asked in a low voice, so that only she could hear.  "Before he had you removed."  Perhaps she would remember her.  Hopefully this wasn't a mistake either.  After all, the violet haired woman might remember her from that time with less favor.  She had operated from a place of more favor with Lamm than most.  Not that that meant anything now, but that had been after this girl had left. 

Oath

Eliora hadn't been one for names in her time with Lamm, but this woman who called herself Triss seemed familiar. She took the same hushed tone. "Aye, ya could say that. Though ya could also say that I wasn't one much interested in names. Could never tell how long someone would be around. Gettin' attached to 'em was always trouble. Learned that one early. Seems like I was rather lucky with how he got rid of me. At least I assume he's the one that burned ya.

She did her best to look Triss in the eye. It wasn't the worst burns she'd seen, you see a lot when you run around the underbelly of a city; but Eliora could understand her desire to keep it out of sight. She did the same with her eye after all, and it was much less damaged. She resumed her conversation in the same hushed whisper.

"Can't say that I know too much about these other blokes that have shown up, but they don't look like they were Little Lamms. The guy has his hands in enough pots to 'ave wronged 'em somehow sure enough. Wonder what their stories are. Seem a little too carefree to 'ave seen much in the way of hardship, if ya know what i'm sayin'. And I dunno if I trust ya or not, but we both have somethin' against Lamm, so that's enough to feel safe with for now." It was always better to be upfront when you would be putting your life on the line for something. Forming an alliance against a common foe was an age old strategy, and perhaps at the end of the road, when Lamm was sleeping with the fishes out in the harbor, or maimed horribly in some way or another, Eliora would have some new companions.

InhumanRonin

Beldan decides that he better introduce himself since it seems that these others have been gathered for the same cause and steps forward. "It seems I am at the right place I cant imagine we are all here because of these? Beldan reaches into his pocket and presents his harrow card to the rest of the group and then puts it back into his pocket. "Beldan Udar is the name by the way. Seems like someone either has it out for us or whoever this person is has it out for Lamm. Shall we head inside to see what fate has in store for us?
Famous last words- DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT THIS!

GG - Henon     

Oath

"Well, whoever called us 'ere surely ain't gonna be looking for us in the street. With that, Eliora approached the door, twisting the handle and opening it. She procured her card from her scarf, waving it into the room. "'Ello, I've been uh.. summoned to this building, not much for hide 'n' seek though, i'm afraid." She surveyed the room, looking for any signs of a person.

[spoiler=Perception roll.]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

The door opens into a cozy chamber.  The fragrance of incense wafts out from within as piles of it smoulder in bowels throughout the room.  Through the light haze of the incense a table sits in the middle of the room with 6 chairs arrayed around it.  Brocaded tapestries cover the walls and a candelabra illuminates the room with a dim light.  Next to it sits a basket, its contents covered with a blue cloth and a piece of parchment folded and resting on top.

Oath

Eliora stepped into the room, her gait cautious but she was too curious about the setting to leave it alone. She approached the table, grabbing the piece of parchment off of the basket, unfolding it and reading it.